iPhone 6 outselling iPhone 6 Plus by 3-to-1 margin in US - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2014
Though Apple doesn't break down sales figures for specific iPhone models, a new study suggests that the blockbuster sales of the iPhone 6 lineup are mostly driven by the 4.7-inch model, though the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus has still captured a considerable size of the market.

The sales breakdown from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners applies to the first 30 days of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus availability in the U.S. Summarizing the data, analyst Steven Milunovich of UBS noted that the iPhone 6 accounted for 68 percent of all iPhone sales, while the iPhone 6 Plus took between 23 and 24 percent.

Together, the new iPhones represented about 91 percent of total iPhone sales over their first four weeks of availability, with the remaining units represented by the previous-generation iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.

In comparison, Milunovich revealed that a year ago, the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c accounted for 84 percent of total iPhone sales after one month. That means that customers this year are more interested in Apple's latest-generation premium models.

Milunovich said that although the iPhone 6 is outselling the iPhone 6 Plus by a 3-to-1 margin, it's hard to tell how strong the demand for the 6 Plus actually is, as Apple continues to face supply shortages for its jumbo-sized iPhone.

CIRP's research also looked at capacity, and found that the average storage capacity for buyers was 48 gigabytes, which is almost double the average storage capacity from a year ago. This year, Apple ditched the 32-gigabyte capacity, and offers the iPhone 6 Plus in sizes of 16, 64, and 128 gigabytes.

Investors largely expect that more customers will upgrade to the costlier 64- and 128-gigabyte capacity models this year, which could help to boost Apple's margins. In addition, the iPhone 6 Plus carries a $100 premium over corresponding iPhone 6 models, which should further help to pad Apple's bottom line.

Given the positive findings from CIRP, UBS remains bullish on Apple, and has maintained its "buy" recommendation for investors. The firm has a 12-month price target of $125 for shares of AAPL.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 201
    I look forward to buying a 3.5"-4.5" iPhone 6s next year.
  • Reply 2 of 201
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

So, to break this down, 75% of people voting with their hard earned cash, voted that they want a normally sized iPhone, with a screen 1.2 inches larger than the original iPhone of 2007, lighter, thinner and less bulky.

A fella much wiser than myself once claimed people don't want big phones. Was he right or was he right. 

• Reply 3 of 201
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    shsf wrote: »
    So, to break this down, 75% of people voting with their hard earned cash, voted that they want a normally sized iPhone, with a screen 1.2 inches larger than the original iPhone of 2007, lighter, thinner and less bulky.

A fella much wiser than myself once claimed people don't want big phones. Was he right or was he right. 
    Apparently not, assuming Apple knows their business, tho at that moment in time he may have had a point. You didn't see them introduce a new iPhone this year with anything smaller than a 4.7" display. Looks like they're reading consumers as wanting something with a with a much larger display, and willing to buy a phone both taller and wider than Apple has ever offered to get it.
  • Reply 4 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

He was right at the time, which is all he would have cared about. No one bought the Dell Streak and other big phones in 2010. :D

• Reply 5 of 201

I'll wait for the Cannacord top three chart from the big 4 carriers in the US.

... BUT... let's assume the numbers in the above article are correct - 3 to 1.

... AND... let's assume Cannacord's top 3 chart shows the 6 and 6+ in the #1 and #2 spot.

What would that say about whatever phone was in the #3 spot.

Looking forward to seeing that chart.

• Reply 6 of 201
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

He was right at the time, which is all he would have cared about. No one bought the Dell Streak and other big phones in 2010. :D
    Exactly. Being right is relative. There are very few absolute truths. Specially in the tech world. The surprise it could be argued, is not that the 6 is outselling the 6+ 3 to 1 but that the 6+ is selling as well as it is. Personally I am not at all surprised by this.
  • Reply 7 of 201
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

it's too hard to make any conclusions because we don't know what the supply was of each device. Some people who own the 6 plus initially thought it was too big but now would never go back to anything smaller. And there are others like John Gruber who would never own a 6 Plus and even think the 6 is too big.

• Reply 8 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SHSF View Post

He was 75% right.

• Reply 9 of 201
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

it's too hard to make any conclusions because we don't know what the supply was of each device. Some people who own the 6 plus initially thought it was too big but now would never go back to anything smaller. And there are others like John Gruber who would never own a 6 Plus and even think the 6 is too big.

Marco Arment is another one. He argued that 5s felt more natural for iOS design than 6+ and he would like to get back to his 5s.

• Reply 10 of 201
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member

I love my iPhone 6, but if I had an option to get a smaller 4" version I'd switch immediately.

• Reply 11 of 201

As stated above, but worth repeating, one of the reasons that the 6plus numbers aren't higher is that the 6plus is MUCH harder to find to purchase. The SUPPLY isn't there.

• Reply 12 of 201

"The sales breakdown from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners applies to the first 30 days of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus availability in the U.S."

That statement alone makes this article pointless.  The 6 Plus was barely available and is still on backorder 3 times as long as a 6.

• Reply 13 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Whatever the supply, the demand drives it, imho at least. :)

I 'll bypass Gruber because I can't stomach him, and I think he has a very high opinion of himself for absolutely no reason, so I bypass whatever he says really.

I am going to buy a 6 plus, but I am not using it as my main phone, I 'l use it as mini iPad mini, a productivity (mostly) and a consumption (secondly) device. I don't want a large phone, (and for that matter at this stage I also don't want a touchscreen phone).

I love the size of the 6 plus, just not as phone. 

• Reply 14 of 201
    Predictable! Who needs a phone that's so large and unwieldy that a companion watch needed to be invented to negate its users from having to access their big phones?
  • Reply 15 of 201
    Quote:

Originally Posted by davidness View Post

As stated above, but worth repeating, one of the reasons that the 6plus numbers aren't higher is that the 6plus is MUCH harder to find to purchase. The SUPPLY isn't there.

That's really such a rubbish argument.

I had to wait a couple of weeks to get a 6 plus, but that's what I wanted, so I did. So what? 

Anyone putting a gun to peoples' heads, that I am not aware of, saying you should buy a new phone right now or if you do wait a week or two to get one we 'll be sending someone over to break your legs, or something?

The numbers speak for themselves, and there is no way around that. Actually a lot of people want a smaller phone than the 6 and you witness that here and in other forums. 

• Reply 16 of 201

Do you have an argument as to why they will make a smaller display on a device this already smaller and lighter than iPhones with 3.5" displays?

gatorguy wrote: »
    Apparently not, assuming Apple knows their business. You didn't see them introduce a new iPhone this year with anything smaller than a 4.7" display. Looks like they're reading consumers as wanting something with a with a much larger display, and willing to buy a phone both taller and wider than Apple has ever offered to get it.

I think you missed the crux of his comment. The iPhone 6 is both smaller and lighter than most of the 3.5" iPhones before it. The same goes for the 4" iPhones over the 3.5" models. Having a larger footprint is irrelevant in terms of usability in and of itself, unless you think the iPhone 5 being considerably taller compared to the slight reduction in width resulting in a larger footprint was a problem over the iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 17 of 201

I really like my iPhone 6. It looks good as far as the width/length paradigm goes. Something I always thought the 5(s) didn't. That said the iPhone 6 is the limit for me. I couldn't go larger. I keep my phone in my pocket and only use it when I need it. I'm not endlessly fiddling with it. If I did have it out all the time I'm sure I would've gone with the 6+. I probably could do away with my iPad if that were the case.

• Reply 18 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

I really like my iPhone 6. It looks good as far as the width/length paradigm goes. 

Very interesting perspective indeed. That's another very much overlooked factor, and I 've not heard that so far by anyone. 

• Reply 19 of 201
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

LOL...then keep looking forward until you'll give up.

• Reply 20 of 201

It's not rubbish. I waited FIVE - count 'em - FIVE weeks for 64GB 6 Plus. That's because I made up my mind that I was willing to wait it out. For many people a phone is an impulse purchase and they'll get what's readily available.

I don't think the 6 Plus would outsell the 6 if supply were better, just that the numbers would be different - not 3 to 1.