iPhone 6, 6 Plus owners complain of easily scratched screens

Comments

• Reply 61 of 215
    normmnormm Posts: 653member

6 plus, two months in my pocket with no case or screen protector:

still. perfect.

• Reply 62 of 215

<em>AppleInsider</em> has reached out to Apple regarding the issue and will update this story when a reply is received.

"When"?

Lol. You guys a have a sense of humor...
  • Reply 63 of 215
    thttht Posts: 5,608member
    It's not possible to prevent these tiny little scratches on the glass under normal use. All it takes is a grain of sand or something similar.

People may think they are being careful, and they are careful, but it is simply not possible using any reasonab measures. Sapphire would have solved this, but not this year.
  • Reply 64 of 215
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

The screen on my iPhone 6 got scratched in the vise when I was trying to bend it. 

/sarcasm

• Reply 65 of 215
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alphafox View Post

I have a ton of scratches on the upper curved side, got them in less than a week. I attribute it to the fact that I put them in my jean pockets that I use to do projects around the house and there was a tiny bit of grit in the pocket. this grit rubbed on the screen when I was kneeling down doing projects and ground it in. I was pretty pissed about it, I may try to get it replaced, idk. 

Are you fking serious? Why don't you just store you phone in sand paper, let say 1000 grit to see if it scratches. I put my 6+ in my tight jeans pocket all day long for weeks and see no sign of any scratch, not even when my 14-month baby chewed it sometimes. Stop the bs.

• Reply 66 of 215
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Screen protectors on personal devices are for suckers. It looks like shit, it reduces the UI both visually and in interaction, and considerably softer than the GG underneath.

Actually, the Zagg Glass is quite nice.

Can’t tell it’s even on my 5S except for the tapered edges.

• Reply 67 of 215
    6 plus in micro fiber case, no issues
  • Reply 68 of 215
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

The Great Gates of Scratch and Bend.

Or should that be the Bendy and Scratchy Show? ????

These things tend to come in threes, so I presume the Apple Watch will engender an ItchGate due to the type of materials used for the back of the watch.

Seems that my decision to bypass the 6 in preference for my two-year old scratchless 4" iPhone 5 has been vindicated.

Ah well. Some you win, some you lose. I'm enjoying slurping my hot chocolate.

It certainly explains all the kerfuffle with GT going bust.

The iPhone6/6+ are by far the best selling smartphones in history, they are by far the best reviewed smartphones currently out, by pretty much every publication, and tens and tens of millions of people are happily using them and insanely satisfied with their purchase. It's rather pathetic how you've convinced yourself you've been "vindicated" somehow, because you live in your little bubble, where a youtube video and first reports of "scratching" almost 2 months after release, and after tens of millions of phones are sold, are actually things to be "vindicated" about. I, and tens of millions of others own iPhones 6's, use no case, and have zero scratches.

• Reply 69 of 215
    kindredmac wrote: »
    I got a hairline scratch on mine after 5 days of owning my day one iPhone 6. It is perfectly straight and perfectly vertical. Gets annoying when viewing white backgrounds as it appears as a rainbow line. All of my iPhones prior have had more abuse with no scratches.

Same here. I've scratched nearly every phone at one point or another. This one is crazy because it's perfectly straight and long.
  • Reply 70 of 215
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I've been saying for a while now that scratches that just appear mysteriously have a paranormal explanation and should be investigated by experienced TV ghost hunting experts who hold degrees in commercial plumbing.

Just appear mysteriously? And your source for this is?
  • Reply 71 of 215

I'm pretty careful with my 6+ and have it in a case with no screen protector. I haven't noticed anything until I read this article. Took a look at the screen when it's off and yep... there's a hairline scratch.  The phone was never dropped and never abused in anyway. About one month old.  Hmm... This story might have legs.

My iPhone 4S also has a scratch on the screen, but seriously that's how old now?

• Reply 72 of 215
    I think we will see more flaws with every new release. I was a apple fan until a few years ago. Apple use to innovate and make amazing products that were well built. Now that they have the the power to release anything they want the company is cutting corners, there quality and innovation is currently going down the drain. They are doing exactly what Blackberry did when they were at the top. They just care about making money and that's it. Apple is suffering from a identity crisis at the moment. They are designing mac OS X to look like a phone when they need to understand it's a computer. They are trying to branch out in the business world even though their products have always been consumer oriented, and that's where apple has experience in making things for consumers. What's even more funny is that Blackberry is the current underdog, is making a come back slowly but surely with great product design and functionality just like apple was doing a few years ago. Only time we'll tell but guys do expect quality to do down on apple products in the next year's to come.
  • Reply 73 of 215
    Apple has never EVER promised scratch proof glass. Screw the trolls.
  • Reply 74 of 215
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pogo007 View Post

With the new Apple products we will see more and more desgin flaws in their line of products. I was a huge apple fan until a few years ago. Apple use to innovate and make amazing products that where well built. Now that they have the the power to release anything they want and everybody will buy it, there quality and innovation went down the drain. They are doing exacly what Blackberry did when they where at the top, they just care about making money and that's it. Apple is suffering from a identity crisis at the moment. They are making mac OS X look like a phone when they need to understand it's a computer and are trying to branch out in the business world even though their products have always been consumer oriented. What's even more funny is that Blackberry being the underdog is making a come back slowly but surely with great product design and functionality just like apple was doing a few years ago. Only time we'll tell but guys do expect quity to do down on apple products in the next year's to come.

I don't think it's quite that.  I think think that their general level of quality has remained about the same.  I think the issue is caused by a product of their success.  For instance, when you are building a few million devices per quarter, supporting them and spending time in manufacturing is easier.  I think the iPhone 6 launch legitimately stressed things a bit.  First, there are a LOT of OS versions happening at once. Apple is cranking out code at an unprecedented rate compared to just a few years ago.  In addition, they are cranking out more devices and more device mean more people to support.  You can tell they are working to ramp up all of this, and that there were some manufacturing issues with the iPhone 6, but considering the sheer quantity of products being delivered, it's still quite amazing.

That said, I'm going to watch the scratch issues on my iPhone 6+.  Could have been a bad batch of glass or something.  The nice thing... I'm assured that I can walk into an Apple Store and get the issue resolved, no questions asked (thanks AppleCare).

• Reply 75 of 215
    pogo007 wrote: »
    With the new Apple products we will see more and more desgin flaws in their line of products. I was a huge apple fan until a few years ago. Apple use to innovate and make amazing products that where well built. Now that they have the the power to release anything they want and everybody will buy it, there quality and innovation went down the drain. They are doing exacly what Blackberry did when they where at the top, they just care about making money and that's it. Apple is suffering from a identity crisis at the moment. They are making mac OS X look like a phone when they need to understand it's a computer and are trying to branch out in the business world even though their products have always been consumer oriented. What's even more funny is that Blackberry being the underdog is making a come back slowly but surely with great product design and functionality just like apple was doing a few years ago. Only time we'll tell but guys do expect quity to do down on apple products in the next year's to come.

Well, you certainly seem to know a lot about quality, judging by all your spelling mistakes.
  • Reply 76 of 215
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pogo007 wrote: »
    Ok I'll bite. How does OSX look like a phone?
  • Reply 77 of 215
    larrya wrote: »
    Well, you certainly seem to know a lot about quality, judging by all your spelling mistakes.

That was typed using osx Mavericks revolutionary auto correct.
  • Reply 78 of 215

This is another bullsh*t fake-gate created by a lawyer to try and make money off Apple via another lawsuit.

• Reply 79 of 215
    rogifan wrote: »
    Ok I'll bite. How does OSX look like a phone?

If I need to elaborate on how it looks like a iphone I think you would need new glasses or you are a new user. That's all they have been doing for the last couple of years integrating ios garbage in the OS and trying to make it look and feel like ios. Even the applications in osx lost a lot of their functionality with each new OS iteration.
  • Reply 80 of 215
    applezilla wrote: »
    It's glass coated with plastic.

What does that mean?