Blueprint of Apple's "iPad Air Plus," details of iPad mini 4 reportedly outed in Japanese mag - Rumo

Comments

• Reply 61 of 196
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    We need to come up with some ‘reptilians control the queen of England’-level theories regarding Apple products.

You mean like the Crab People?

Those guys have provided no end of hassle when it comes to unreleased products.
  • Reply 62 of 196
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Have you forgotten that nobody wants styli?

Fixed that for you.

????
  • Reply 63 of 196
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    If all it is, is an iPad Air with a bigger screen then the calling it iPad Air Plus makes perfect sense.  Kind of like the iPhone 6 Plus to the iPhone 6

Not really - it should be called an iPad Maxi as the smaller version is an iPad Mini.
  • Reply 64 of 196
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Then by that logic they should have called the 5.5" iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Pro.
    I sense the end of the "i" at hand ... I expect perhaps that with ?OS X we'll get ?Phone 7 in three sizes: mini, just ?Phone, and plus. Likewise for the ?Pads. MacBooks will drop Air and become MacBook mini, just MacBook, and MacBook Pro (because they can't have a Mac Plus again), same with desktops, Mac Mini, just Mac, and Mac Pro. Again these are a different set of products. A larger iPhone and iPad do not connote "pro" status, whereas a fully equipped MacBook and Mac do, they are not merely bigger versions of the same thing.
  • Reply 65 of 196
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I sense the end of the "i" at hand ... I expect perhaps that with ?OS X we'll get ?Phone 7 in three sizes: mini, just ?Phone, and plus. Likewise for the ?Pads. MacBooks will drop Air and become MacBook mini, just MacBook, and MacBook Pro (because they can't have a Mac Plus again), same with desktops, Mac Mini, just Mac, and Mac Pro. Again these are a different set of products. A larger iPhone and iPad do not connote "pro" status, whereas a fully equipped MacBook and Mac do, they are not merely bigger versions of the same thing.

No- ? connotes is merely a "hobby" like the ?TV and the soonto be released ?Watch.
    These hobbies do not get yearly updates and do not disclose sales figures unless they are positive.
  • Reply 66 of 196

What I do realize is that we'll both learn next year whether the rumors are accurate, which device(s) customers prefer, and whether iPad sales will continue to level off or decline. 

• Reply 67 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Yeah, they were lame. Only one Metal app, Mr. Crab, and that's not a graphical tour-de-force. I also really liked seeing the gold color in person, I think I might go for it next time instead of space gray.

The gold would look better with a black bezel more that white imho

• Reply 68 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

The iPhone and iPad branding are way too big to be replaced but I agree that a bigger screen in and of itself doesn't deserve a Pro status.

• Reply 69 of 196
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ascii wrote: »
    The A9 so quickly?

Certainly! 14 nm risk production. 2.5 GHz, 8 GB of RAM and 512 GB of SSD storage.
  • Reply 70 of 196
    You forgot multi-user capabilities.

The problem I have with these lists and the guys that create then is that it assumes that Apple has no intent of improving iOS or the hardware that it runs on. The fact is there is much that can be improved both operating system wise and hardware wise. As such ebveryone has their personal interests.
  • Reply 71 of 196
    bluefire1 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if the upcoming MacBook Air with Retina Display/12" screen/fanless will undercut sales of the iPad Air Plus. I, for one, would be much more interested in the former.

Personally I think Apple would be nuts to try to push MBA to fanless. Broadwell in the ten to 15 watt range would be a massive improvement to MBA. In fact it is exactly what AIR needs to get me interested.

That doesn't mean a fanless machine wouldn't be nice, it is just that I don't see it as a replacement for AIR.
  • Reply 72 of 196

The problem with the current choices of styli are that the passive ones don't work very well and the active ones are all BlueTooth. The active ones only work with a very small subset of applications, and that subset varies depending on the stylus/software. Really, what I'd like to see is for this 12" iPad Pro to be a hybrid device that takes the best of the iPad, MacBook Air, and Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (yes, I went there), and merged them into one killer portable productivity machine.

For me, doing PDF and CAD markup or graphic editing, either at my desk or in the field, on a tablet device with an accurate stylus would be great. Then, being able to use that same device to flip open and type on a real keyboard and trackpad, yes please. Add an SD slot, a couple of USB 3 ports and a Thunderbolt port, perfection. The MS Surface Pro 3 comes very close to being the device I need, but there is one giant problem...it has Windows on it. I'm a Mac guy. I like OS X and iOS, and I'm very fluent with the operation of both. I have to use Windows constantly for some of my work, and it just irritates me that so many tasks that I fly through in OS X, are ridiculously slow and inefficient in Windows. It baffles me that a company that makes a touch-enabled OS, can't figure out how to add a few more gestures to a track-pad. That's just one peeve among many. I could grouse for days on this topic, but I'll decline.

• Reply 73 of 196

so... pro means larger screen? i would think pro means it can do more. 

macbook air is awful at games, macbook pro is quite good. mac mini is not nearly as good as mac pro. 

to be pro it should do significantly more than the current.

• Reply 74 of 196
    Originally Posted by revenant View Post

macbook air is awful at games, macbook pro is quite good. mac mini is not nearly as good as mac pro. 

to be pro it should do significantly more than the current.

iPad Air is A8X. iPad Pro would be A9.

iPad Air is 2048x1536. iPad Pro would be 4098x3072.

?iPad Air has two speakers. iPad Pro would have four.

iPad Air can play 1080p60. iPad Pro could play 2160p60.

• Reply 75 of 196
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,309member

And speaking of Apple devices that already are undercutting iPad sales: 

http://www.businessinsider.com/proof-that-the-iphone-6-is-killing-the-ipad-2014-11

• Reply 76 of 196
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

You guys are totally suckered into the bleeding edge. Thanks for beta testing the new stuff for me when it comes out. oh and once they get to 7nm that's it for silicon, no smaller.

• Reply 77 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

?iPad Air has two speakers. iPad Pro would have four.

iPad Air can play 1080p60. iPad Pro could play 2160p60.

so, obvious new chip, make it bigger and add some speakers. meaning it is slightly better, not pro. does nothing better unlike how a macbook pro and mac pro are significantly better than there non pro counterparts?

• Reply 78 of 196
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

As I hold this iPad in my hands tapping this message, I have true stereo. You mean in landscape mode.

I am indeed questioning the sanity of people who argue about differences between stereo and mono on a device which is what 7" wide! C'mon folks, stereo is only noticeable if the speakers are more than 6 feet apart. Does anyone know what  real hi-fi is too? I doubt it. 

• Reply 79 of 196
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

14 nm risk productionQuote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iPad Pro would be A8X.

iPad Pro would be 2560x1920.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Certainly! 14 nm risk production. 2.5 GHz, 8 GB of RAM and 512 GB of SSD storage.

20nm production. 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM and 16/64/128GB storage.

Hey, this is still Apple we are talking about :D

• Reply 80 of 196
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

iPad Air Plus?

The naming is getting a bit silly.

It is like saying: "The  Macbook Air Plus to indicate the (non existing) 15 inch Macbook Air?"