Blueprint of Apple's "iPad Air Plus," details of iPad mini 4 reportedly outed in Japanese mag - Rumo

Comments

• Reply 81 of 196
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

iPad Air Plus?

The naming is getting a bit silly.

It is like saying: "The  Macbook Air Plus to indicate the (non existing) 15 inch Macbook Air?"

My suggestion would be to use Descriptive names to suggest their capabilities and use Screen sizes to further differentiate between the models within the same category:

iPad mini

iPad (air)*

iPad pro

Just as they do with their laptop line-up:

Macbook (air)*, 11 inch and 13 inch

Macbook pro, 13 inch and 15 inch

And desktop line-up:

Mac mini

Mac pro

The iPhone is a bit of an exception as the "pro" moniker doesn't make any sense here:

iPhone mini (something in between 3.5 inch and 4 inch)

iPhone, 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch

And let's not forget (because of "Continuity"):

iPod mini (something in between 3.5 inch and 4 inch)

iPod, 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch

Again, notice how  I categorised the models by their capability (the portability of the mini versus the productivity of the pro). Within the same category I used screensize to differentiate even further.

- - - - -

(*) The "air" moniker is getting a bit useless as the iPad mini is actually lighter than the iPad Air 2.

• Reply 82 of 196
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    txsbaker wrote: »
    Make this with a Wacom digitizer & stylus, and I'll buy one.
    Go to Android tablets. Apple don't make stylus...it's so 90ish
  • Reply 83 of 196
    I still don't see the reason for this to exist. Even if it did exist, Apple would do something way more elegant than a hacky "split screen mode". Either you'd have an immersive full-screen app experience, or a windowed interface like in OS X. They wouldn't do some half-ass hybrid fullscreen resize and app switching thing like Windows 8, and certainly wouldn't have OS X with a touchscreen or iOS with a mouse/trackpad cursor. People have already tried hybrid Windows/Android laptop/tablet hybrids and the results were horrible. Half the hardware becomes completely useless when you switch modes. An dual OS X/iOS device would be the same. If Apple was to actually make this 12" "iPad Air Pro Whatever" there would have to be some really killer features you couldn't ever possibly put in the 10" model.

There's been lots of people that believe every dumb rumor that pops up, like the teardrop shape iPhone schematics, fake Apple reversible USB cables videos, "leaked" videos of the "iWatch", etc.
  • Reply 84 of 196
    canukstorm wrote: »
    If all it is, is an iPad Air with a bigger screen then the calling it iPad Air Plus makes perfect sense.  Kind of like the iPhone 6 Plus to the iPhone 6
    No it's not. Both 6+ and 6 are categorized as iPhone 6. You can't categorize 12.2" iPad into Air since it has different form factor according to the blue print.
  • Reply 85 of 196
    apple ][ wrote: »

(1) Hell no. If they do, then Apple will definitely lose at least one sale, me!
    (2) I don't really give a crap about any pens. 
    (3) Don't really care. Current iPad Air 2 display looks pretty damn good.
    (4) Laptop chips (with fans?) ? Not in my iPad thank you. 
    (5) Do I look like a cheap bum?
    Agreed. Some people couldn't get enough of Surface tablet. it's stupid to keep talking about full OSX in iPad and the damn stylus. Apple WILL NOT ever make those.
  • Reply 86 of 196
    people who were looking for Apple to make a 5.5" iPhone were also called deeply confused.  Well, we know who landed on the right side of that debate.
    Apple never said they wouldn't make big screen phones, but said when it didn't sacrifice one-hand usability. Tim Cook personally criticized the hybrid device. Unless, Apple fire Tim Cook, no hybrid devices will be possible.
  • Reply 87 of 196
    pazuzu wrote: »
    No- ? connotes is merely a "hobby" like the ?TV and the soonto be released ?Watch.
    These hobbies do not get yearly updates and do not disclose sales figures unless they are positive.
    Is ?Pay a hobby too? Nope!
  • Reply 88 of 196
    iPad Air is A8X. iPad Pro would be A9.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">iPad Air is 2048x1536. iPad Pro would be 4098x3072.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">?iPad Air has two </span>
    speakers<span style="line-height:1.4em;">. iPad Pro would have four.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">iPad Air can play 1080p60. iPad Pro could play 2160p60.</span>
    iPad Air has 2GB of RAM, iPad Pro would have 4 GB.
  • Reply 89 of 196
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Cue the usual suspects:

1. This needs to run full Mac OS X and side by side apps

2. This needs to have a pen

3. IGZO will save us all

4. Just wait until Broadwell or Skylake!

5. But but but Android tablets!

Wacom and especially Adobe are revolutionising the workflow for creatives. The 12 inch iPad Pro could play a part in that too as more and more creatives use their iPad instead of a Wacom tablet. 

I am not saying Apple should offer a pen, but they should at least work closely together with Adobe, if they are serious about the 12 inch iPad. Adobe is doing awesome stuff for the iPad. A bigger screen would be a blessing for the creative professional (that makes use of Adobe's creative cloud).

• Reply 90 of 196
    fallenjt wrote: »
    No- ? connotes is merely a "hobby" like the ?TV and the soonto be released ?Watch.
    These hobbies do not get yearly updates and do not disclose sales figures unless they are positive.
    Is ?Pay a hobby too? Nope!

It is in terms of profits, the only thing that counts.
  • Reply 91 of 196
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    txsbaker wrote: »
    Make this with a Wacom digitizer & stylus, and I'll buy one.

Make it with a "full" Wacom digitizer, and it will make all the other tablets including the Surface Pro 3 out there look like toys. It's not enough to just have a pressure sensative pen, it has to have tilt as well.

Also Apple has a patent out there that involves using the camera for a pen digitizer, so who knows.
  • Reply 92 of 196
    fallenjt wrote: »
    If it gets more RAM I'd thinknit would go to 3GiB.
  • Reply 93 of 196
    Not really - it should be called an iPad Maxi as the smaller version is an iPad Mini.

Oh wow that's so clever and funny and we haven't heard it a hundred times before from other young boys. Isn't it good you aren't alone?
  • Reply 94 of 196
    paul94544 wrote: »
    You guys are totally suckered into the bleeding edge. Thanks for beta testing the new stuff for me when it comes out. oh and once they get to 7nm that's it for silicon, no smaller.

Huh? I get actual, real world value out of every apple product I buy.

Try harder.
  • Reply 95 of 196
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Oh, I'm so glad Apple is expecting me to entrust my personal information and credit security to ?Pay, a mere HOBBY. Thanks for clearing that up. I won't be using ?Pay now. LOL so much for that theory.
  • Reply 96 of 196
    The iPhone and iPad branding are way too big to be replaced but I agree that a bigger screen in and of itself doesn't deserve a Pro status.
    PowerBook was also seemingly way too big to be replaced. Yet they still did it. APPLE is the brand. They can call their products anything they want and people will still rush out to buy it. My main point here is that I think the "i" monicker has gotten quite long in the tooth. I mean the iMac is 16 years old. The Internet is common place in everyone's day-to-day life -- everything is connected to the Internet, including refrigerators. The "i" is tied to an outdated, old school naming convention, which is both meaningless and becoming hokey. I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow, but it's hard to imagine Apple continuing to market "i" products.
  • Reply 97 of 196
    You forgot multi-user capabilities.
    This is something that IS waaay overdue, and not an unreasonable expectation. Every parent I meet laments the lack of multi-user capabilities for their children who are too young to have their own tablets (or phones) and play with their personal ones, inevitably screwing stuff up. Even Netflix has multi-user, now. I don't particularly care for my visiting friends and relatives browsing my personal photos, and social media apps, influencing my web browsing preferences, and my music profiles.
  • Reply 98 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smalM View Post

iPad Pro would be A8X.

iPad Pro would be 2560x1920.

20nm production. 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM and 16/64/128GB storage.

Hey, this is still Apple we are talking about :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Oh, I'm so glad Apple is expecting me to entrust my personal information and credit security to ?Pay, a mere HOBBY. Thanks for clearing that up. I won't be using ?Pay now. LOL so much for that theory.

The credit history and financial info stays with your bank... Though if you have credit card in Itunes, they do have that info... But, of course Apple pay is not a hobby.

• Reply 99 of 196
    Well I'm looking forward to this hitting the market. This is long past due and I think professionals will gobble it up. I'm anxious to see the price points. I'm really hoping it comes in at a reasonable price and Apple drops the current pricing of its iPad lineup by $100 for each device. The knockoff tablets are making the iPad line look really overpriced. I'm a big apple fan, so when guys like me start looking at Android options for my kids, Apple isn't doing something right with their pricing.
  • Reply 100 of 196
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

...once they get to 7nm thats it for silicon, no smaller.

So then they’ll use indium antimonide. Big deal.

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

does nothing better unlike how a macbook pro and mac pro are significantly better than there non pro counterparts?

Okay, enjoy your delusions.

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

iPad Pro would be A8X.

Except the rumor says otherwise. Why would it be A8X when we know that chip struggles with resolutions as high as it would have?

iPad Pro would be 2560x1920.

I hate how much sense that makes.

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I’d say 3, but knowing Apple they’d do 2.

Originally Posted by Lawrance View Post

The knockoff tablets are making the iPad line look really overpriced.

Idiots will buy crap. The iPad’s price isn’t hurting it.

I’m a big apple fan...

Knock it off.

...so when guys like me start looking at Android options for my kids...

“...I start to realize that maybe I don’t actually love my children.” :p

This really has nothing to do with Apple. Their pricing is fine.