Rumor: Apple considering return to 4-inch form factor in 2015 with 'iPhone 6s mini'

17891012

Comments

  • Reply 221 of 244
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    gustav wrote: »
    I really dislike the notion that smaller screen phones are, or should be, "low end." It's Apple's obsession with thin that makes it difficult to make a premium phone with a smaller screen. The fact is, I would happily purchase this theoretical 6s if it was performant and had good battery life. And they could likely do it, if they made it as think as an iPhone 4 or 4s.

    I want a 4" iPhone 6. 3.5-4.0" is the right size for most people. The people who want larger devices really want a tablet without wanting to lose the pocket portability.
  • Reply 222 of 244
    misa wrote: »
    gustav wrote: »
    I really dislike the notion that smaller screen phones are, or should be, "low end." It's Apple's obsession with thin that makes it difficult to make a premium phone with a smaller screen. The fact is, I would happily purchase this theoretical 6s if it was performant and had good battery life. And they could likely do it, if they made it as think as an iPhone 4 or 4s.

    I want a 4" iPhone 6. 3.5-4.0" is the right size for most people. The people who want larger devices really want a tablet without wanting to lose the pocket portability.

    Yes; although, I think 4.2" might be acceptable if they lose the bezels.
  • Reply 223 of 244
    Why does a smaller screen mean lower specs? Sony's Z3 Compact is the best small phone because it doesn't have ancient internals and a poor screen (sadly it does have Android... but at least Sony makes it look respectable!) I still love the iPhone 4. Why not put top specs in it?
  • Reply 224 of 244
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    There is a limit to how thin the chassis can be (Optics for the camera basically). The Thickness of the 6 (with the bump), is at the limits of what can be done. Only other option, make the phone uneaven in thickness from to bottom. That way they could make it 6mm thick at the top and say 4mm at the bottom (with the phone very slightly tilting)
    Similar to the Moto X case design perhaps?
    700
  • Reply 225 of 244
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    One size does not fit all. This is admittedly anecdotal experience, but I have 2 female friends with small hands that will not give up their 4s (3.5") because they found the 4" model too big. I have to believe that they're not the only 2 people on the planet that feel this way and that Apple would do well to offer a choice in size with at least 4 models ranging from 3.5" up. Even if they used the older style cases with upgraded guts
  • Reply 226 of 244

    so an iPhone mini is coming? yea there are those who want it compact,  though iPhone 6 is fine when it comes to size.

  • Reply 227 of 244
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tenly View Post



    One size does not fit all. This is admittedly anecdotal experience, but I have 2 female friends with small hands that will not give up their 4s (3.5") because they found the 4" model too big. I have to believe that they're not the only 2 people on the planet that feel this way and that Apple would do well to offer a choice in size with at least 4 models ranging from 3.5" up. Even if they used the older style cases with upgraded guts

    Obviously, going by the comments on this thread, they're not the only two people.  The bigger question is, is there a big enough market for a 4" iPhone for Apple to justify in designing a new 4" model?  I don't personally have the data to support if there is or isn't but I guess we'll know next Fall.

  • Reply 228 of 244
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    Similar to the Moto X case design perhaps?


     

    Except the Moto X is thicker in the middle (10mm) and the sides are about the same size as the Iphone 6. That would be great if you want to put super-duper optics for a 12MP top of class camera (there would be larger sensor, otherwise the extra central thickness it a bit pointless.

     

    I was talking more of a wedge type phone with the top at 6.5mm and the bottom at say 3.5 mm. An Iphone like that would be about 90 grams, 3.3 ounce!

  • Reply 229 of 244
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Except the Moto X is thicker in the middle (10mm) and the sides are about the same size as the Iphone 6. That would be great if you want to put super-duper optics for a 12MP top of class camera (there would be larger sensor, otherwise the extra central thickness it a bit pointless.

    I was talking more of a wedge type phone with the top at 6.5mm and the bottom at say 3.5 mm. An Iphone like that would be about 90 grams, 3.3 ounce!
    Actually it's very roughly half as thick as the iPhone6 at the edges 3.8mm (0.15 in.) for the Moto compared to the iPhones 6.9mm. But sure a wedge shape might work as well.
  • Reply 230 of 244
    The media wanted a bigger iphone a lot more than their customers did.
  • Reply 231 of 244

    Apple can use the 5C shell and just reduce the battery a little to fit the two extra components in side it!  After all; the 5C has a thicker battery then the 5S has!  Plus, Apple will not have to worry about the NFC antennas placements since it made of polycarbonate Apple can just place them inside the case!

     

    I doubt that Apple will make a low end upgraded 4" - 6C that will have NFC - ApplePay or Touch ID inside.  It would take away from their mid tier and flagship model.  An update show that it will be an A7, 512MB, 16GB, 326 ppi 4" screen size.  Two colors only: black and white.

  • Reply 232 of 244
    Tell Apple you want a new 4" iPhone and sign this petition:

    https://www.change.org/p/apple-a-customer-request-to-continue-designing-4-apple-iphones
  • Reply 233 of 244
    sirdan69 wrote: »
    Tell Apple you want a new 4" iPhone and sign this petition:

    [link]

    No.
  • Reply 234 of 244
    Originally Posted by sirdan69 View Post

    Tell Apple you want a new 4" iPhone and sign this petition:



    Can I only do the first half?

     

    Can I also create a change.org petition to get change.org shut down? There are enough sources of false hope and delusion in this world.

  • Reply 235 of 244
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    No.

    No to what? The petition or the smaller iPhone?

    Frankly I want a modern but smaller iPhone, something between an iPhone 4 and a 5 in size.
  • Reply 236 of 244
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    No to what? The petition or the smaller iPhone?

    Yes, no to signing the petition.

    But don't read that as being against those that want a 4" iPhone. I hope all those people get your wish as it doesn't affect me negatively if it arrives, and affects me positively by getting people to stop complaining about a "new" 4" IPhone.
    Frankly I want a modern but smaller iPhone, something between an iPhone 4 and a 5 in size.

    Give it a couple years. The iPhone 6 already has a smaller box volume than all iPhones up through the 3GS, and lighter than all previous iPhones except the 5 and 5S.


    BOX VOLUME: smallest to largest
    1. iPhone 5: 4.0"; 112 g; 123.8 mm × 58.6 mm × 7.6 mm = 55,136 mm<sup>3</sup>
    2. iPhone 5S: 4.0"; 112 g; 123.8 mm × 58.6 mm × 7.6 mm = 55,136 mm<sup>3</sup>
    3. iPhone 4: 3.5"; 137 g; 115.2 mm × 58.6 mm × 9.3 mm = 62,782 mm<sup>3</sup>
    4. iPhone 4S: 3.5"; 140 g; 115.2 mm × 58.6 mm × 9.3 mm = 62,782 mm<sup>3</sup>
    5. iPhone 6: 4.7"; 129 g; 138.1 mm × 67.0 mm × 6.9 mm = 63,844 mm<sup>3</sup>
    6. iPhone 5C: 4.0"; 132 g; 124.4 mm × 59.2 mm × 8.97 mm = 66,059 mm<sup>3</sup>
    7. Phone: 3.5"; 135 g; 115 mm × 61 mm × 11.6 mm = 81,374 mm<sup>3</sup>
    8. iPhone 3G: 3.5"; 133 g; 115.5 mm × 62.1 mm × 12.3 mm = 88,222 mm<sup>3</sup>
    9. Phone 3GS: 3.5"; 135 g; 115.5 mm × 62.1 mm × 12.3 mm = 88,222 mm<sup>3</sup>

    WEIGHT: lightest to heaviest
    1. iPhone 5: 4.0"; 112 g; 123.8 mm × 58.6 mm × 7.6 mm = 55,136 mm<sup>3</sup>
    2. iPhone 5S: 4.0"; 112 g; 123.8 mm × 58.6 mm × 7.6 mm = 55,136 mm<sup>3</sup>
    3. iPhone 6: 4.7"; 129 g; 138.1 mm × 67.0 mm × 6.9 mm = 63,844 mm<sup>3</sup>
    4. iPhone 5C: 4.0"; 132 g; 124.4 mm × 59.2 mm × 8.97 mm = 66,059 mm<sup>3</sup>
    5. iPhone 3G: 3.5"; 133 g; 115.5 mm × 62.1 mm × 12.3 mm = 88,222 mm<sup>3</sup>
    6. Phone: 3.5"; 135 g; 115 mm × 61 mm × 11.6 mm = 81,374 mm<sup>3</sup>
    7. Phone 3GS: 3.5"; 135 g; 115.5 mm × 62.1 mm × 12.3 mm = 88,222 mm<sup>3</sup>
    8. iPhone 4: 3.5"; 137 g; 115.2 mm × 58.6 mm × 9.3 mm = 62,782 mm<sup>3</sup>
    9. iPhone 4S: 3.5"; 140 g; 115.2 mm × 58.6 mm × 9.3 mm = 62,782 mm<sup>3</sup>
  • Reply 237 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post





    No to what? The petition or the smaller iPhone?



    Frankly I want a modern but smaller iPhone, something between an iPhone 4 and a 5 in size.

     

    One thing we will never know... if Apple would have sold as many phones with a 4.7" iP6 and an updated 4 inch instead of the 5.5". I think so.

     

    It will be interesting to see if Apple keeps the 5.5".

  • Reply 238 of 244
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    No to what? The petition or the smaller iPhone?

    Frankly I want a modern but smaller iPhone, something between an iPhone 4 and a 5 in size.

    The petition is useless.
  • Reply 239 of 244
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    Yes, no to signing the petition.



    But don't read that as being against those that want a 4" iPhone. I hope all those people get your wish as it affects me negatively if it arrives, and affects me positively by getting people to stop complaining about a "new" 4" IPhone.

    Give it a couple years. The iPhone 6 already has a smaller box volume than all iPhones up through the 3GS, and lighter than all previous iPhones except the 5 and 5S.



     
    BOX VOLUME: smallest to largest

    1. iPhone 5: 4.0"; 112 g; 123.8 mm × 58.6 mm × 7.6 mm = 55,136 mm3

    2. iPhone 5S: 4.0"; 112 g; 123.8 mm × 58.6 mm × 7.6 mm = 55,136 mm3

    3. iPhone 4: 3.5"; 137 g; 115.2 mm × 58.6 mm × 9.3 mm = 62,782 mm3

    4. iPhone 4S: 3.5"; 140 g; 115.2 mm × 58.6 mm × 9.3 mm = 62,782 mm3

    5. iPhone 6: 4.7"; 129 g; 138.1 mm × 67.0 mm × 6.9 mm = 63,844 mm3

    6. iPhone 5C: 4.0"; 132 g; 124.4 mm × 59.2 mm × 8.97 mm = 66,059 mm3

    7. Phone: 3.5"; 135 g; 115 mm × 61 mm × 11.6 mm = 81,374 mm3

    8. iPhone 3G: 3.5"; 133 g; 115.5 mm × 62.1 mm × 12.3 mm = 88,222 mm3

    9. Phone 3GS: 3.5"; 135 g; 115.5 mm × 62.1 mm × 12.3 mm = 88,222 mm3


    WEIGHT: lightest to heaviest

    1. iPhone 5: 4.0"; 112 g; 123.8 mm × 58.6 mm × 7.6 mm = 55,136 mm3

    2. iPhone 5S: 4.0"; 112 g; 123.8 mm × 58.6 mm × 7.6 mm = 55,136 mm3

    3. iPhone 6: 4.7"; 129 g; 138.1 mm × 67.0 mm × 6.9 mm = 63,844 mm3

    4. iPhone 5C: 4.0"; 132 g; 124.4 mm × 59.2 mm × 8.97 mm = 66,059 mm3

    5. iPhone 3G: 3.5"; 133 g; 115.5 mm × 62.1 mm × 12.3 mm = 88,222 mm3

    6. Phone: 3.5"; 135 g; 115 mm × 61 mm × 11.6 mm = 81,374 mm3

    7. Phone 3GS: 3.5"; 135 g; 115.5 mm × 62.1 mm × 12.3 mm = 88,222 mm3

    8. iPhone 4: 3.5"; 137 g; 115.2 mm × 58.6 mm × 9.3 mm = 62,782 mm3

    9. iPhone 4S: 3.5"; 140 g; 115.2 mm × 58.6 mm × 9.3 mm = 62,782 mm3



    Not sure as how a 4 inch iPhone in a next generation build would affect you at all. You seem fine with participating on the forums, and fine with the current iPhones 6 and 6 Plus, which wouldn't be impacted either.

     

    My take on this is that Apple already holds the high ground for 4 inch smartphones, and Apple shouldn't give up the niche. The current/next generation build would also make an acceptable next generation iPod Touch that would be at the same price points as the current iPod Touch; something that Apple would not do with an iPod Touch based on the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. I get it that Apple needs to continue producing iPhone 5's for a while, but just the addition of Apple Pay, requiring, NFC, this generation of camera and the same build would be viable upgrade, and would sell well.

  • Reply 240 of 244
    [@]tmay[/@], suppose to read, "doesn't affect me negatively." My edit should make the text before and after that statement read more clearly now.
Sign In or Register to comment.