Rumor: Apple considering return to 4-inch form factor in 2015 with 'iPhone 6s mini'

178101213

Comments

  • Reply 181 of 244
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    then you should stop wasting your money and buy a cheap Android phone 




    What exactly is your problem?!? Why do you have a need to be "right" in a matter of taste? What gives you the right to say what other people need and want? It looks to me that there are plenty of people here juddging by the comments that prefer the 4" model. I ask of you to keep your opinion to yourself if you want to be taken seriously, lets not try to force your opinions to others that dont want to. Do you think that country is the only right music style and all other genres should be stopped producing?

     

    And yes. I have tried both iphone6  models in the store and handled some friends phones. But as I use my phone mostly one handed I have the same opinion as Steve had of the size and think the gimmics of onehanded use that today exist dont really create anything that really would make the 4" model obsolete. That is just my opinion and it does NOT mean i think making bigger phones is not good. People are just different. Some have bad isight some have good. Some have big hands, some dont. Some have long fingers some dont.

     

    AND I dont follow your logic. You stated that there exist no android phones that are 4" or smaller (not atleast any recent good ones)??

  • Reply 182 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post



    I really dislike the notion that smaller screen phones are, or should be, "low end." It's Apple's obsession with thin that makes it difficult to make a premium phone with a smaller screen. The fact is, I would happily purchase this theoretical 6s if it was performant and had good battery life. And they could likely do it, if they made it as think as an iPhone 4 or 4s.



    Absolutely agree. I admit that I'm a sucker for the latest technology but the "small" size is important to me so I hope they to go together. And I'm one of those people that promptly spoils 'thin' by putting the phone in a case so an extra millimetre or so is no big deal.

  • Reply 183 of 244
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by socalcreate View Post



    Finally, Apple's fix for the bending iPhone 6 /plus!! I've been waiting for this!



    Apple says 9 iPhones 6 where officially affected - Of course, they haven't disclosed what that number has grown too. The manufacturing engineers I work with say it's a big number.. and worse.. will grow over time as the materials in the phone breakdown over the life of the phone. Not a nightmare I need to wakeup with on a busy morning.

     

    Give me a break. There are now 60M Iphones in circulation yet seemingly not mentioned, while it was when there was a few million. That means there is no real issue and this thing was all manufactured FUD that existed only really in a Youtube video.

  • Reply 184 of 244
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post





    When did the 6S get released?



    Oh you meant to say the 6 Plus, right?

     

    W

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    Do you only have 1 usable hand?  If so I'm sorry.

     

    But situation would you need true 1 handed use?

     

    Driving?

    Caring a baby?

     

    I don't understand all this angst of using two hands


     

    YEs, the person you replied just admitted to driving (roadtrip) and handling a phone... Just the public Apple is going for ;-).

  • Reply 185 of 244
    I'd jump back to 4" in a heart beat. The 6 just isn't 1 hand friendly.
  • Reply 186 of 244
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

     



    If the 2015 4" low end budget iPhone had both Apple Pay and Touch ID; why would buyers go upscale to buy the mid tier or flagship iPhones?  The difference is only $200 or so between the mid tier 4.7" iPhone.   $450 vs. $650 vs. 750! 


    Buyers would buy based on the screen size that they prefer.  It isn't any different than buying a MBA or MBP.  You buy based on the screen size you prefer.

  • Reply 187 of 244
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Its HARDER to make things smaller.

    Except that the biggest dope is forgetting that Apple was able to put much technology in a small package for years.
  • Reply 188 of 244
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sog35 wrote: »
    you specificily said you only use your phone to make calls, text, and other non-smart features.

    Because of your low level of power usage you should buy a $200 Android off contract instead of an iPhone for $650

    For non-power users like you a small screen is fine.  But for people who use their phone for web, video streaming, and gaming we need bigger screens.


    That is fine for you but many of us don't want a massive cell phone it is actually a big negative. As such there is no reason for Apple not to keep a modern small iPhone in production. Modern here being something with a 64 bit processor, Touch ID and the other goodies.

    Just as the 11" MBA doesn't detract for the slaes of the MBP nor would this small phone have a significant impact on the larger iPhone. In the end Apple would just have overall more sales. How do I know this, simple ive been waiting for a decent upgrade to my iPhone 4 and no the 5 & 6 models are not decent upgrades. Many people simply are not into the trouble of a massive cell phone.
  • Reply 189 of 244
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sog35 wrote: »
    All you dopes don't realize one fact:

    Its HARDER to make things smaller.
    Actually this isn't always the case.
    With a smaller phone you cannot expect to get the same features and internals as the large phones.
    I don't think anybody is expecting a massive battery, however logic board wise we haven't really seen much growth of late in board size. Each generation of components also packers more functionality into the same space.
    IMO, the 4 inch phone will be using 12 month old hardware.  that's the price you pay for miniture size.

    Your logic here is extremely perplexing. By definition to get the same functionality into a smaller phone you need smaller and more functional components. I can actually see Apple using more custom chips not less in this phone. It is very doubtful it would be marketed as an extremely low end phone.
  • Reply 190 of 244
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    apple ][ wrote: »

    That is often my intention!:lol:  The truth sometime hurts.
    It isn't so much a truth as a preference. I much prefer my iPad and old iPhone 4 over these massive devices that Apple now ships. For those that find the iPhone sixes good enough for ther needs I have no problem with them. I do have a problem with those that can't recognize the value in a smaller cell phone.

    I agree though that owning a large tablet and a small phone is far, far better than just owning a large phone.
    It works for me! However I don't expect it to work for everybody and as such I wouldn't call them cheap if they reject a smaller iPhone.
    Some people might prefer to have a large phone and a large tablet, and that's fine too, but there should be the option to have a small phone also, if that's what somebody prefers.

    A smaller phone that doesn't suck!!!????????????. This is my big concern, give me a small phone but make it at least a 64 bit machine with Touch ID and NFC. This shouldn't the hard to do really. Further a whole new generation of hardware to support a compact high performance cell phone is coming on the market in 2105. I hear that Samsung will or is shipping LPDDR4 ram modules now. In the end I see no reason for physical size to be an issue here.
  • Reply 191 of 244
    sog35 wrote: »
    That you cant see this is hilarious.  Just look at the 6+ and the extra features it has vs the 6.

    Two.
    You mean the two additions in the 6+. And not because of its larger display, but because it is thicker.
  • Reply 192 of 244
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sog35 wrote: »
    its a matter of cost.
    Only if you assume that it will cost $99 out of the box.
    making more different models = more costs
    Not really! If the model pays for itself in the end it is profit for Apple. I really don't think it will have a problem paying for itself.
    making a brand new metal 4 inch phone that sells for $99 is not cost effective

    It is all about volume, as long as Apple can move the volume required they can make a cell phone Oay for its development costs and have it generate a profit. Fixating on a specific price is non sense as Apple would price it properly for the way they intend to market it.

    Beyond all of that you assume it will be metal, frankly I don't care what it is made of as long as it is durable. I can see Apple easily producing a cell phone that costs around $300 without a contract that would fill this void nicely.
  • Reply 193 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    its a matter of cost.

     

    making more different models = more costs

     

    making a brand new metal 4 inch phone that sells for $99 is not cost effective


    Except Apple wouldn't have to make a newly designed 4" iPhone.  They already have a great design in the 5s.  All they have to do is update that device to have A8 / TouchID / NFC / Apple Pay, at the very least, and they're good to go.  That would make a great mid-tier iPhone.

  • Reply 194 of 244
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Except Apple wouldn't have to make a newly designed 4" iPhone.  They already have a great design in the 5s.  All they have to do is update that device to have A8 / TouchID / NFC / Apple Pay, at the very least, and they're good to go.  That would make a great mid-tier iPhone.

    Huh? They already sell the 5S which has Touch ID. They certainly aren't going to retrofit NFC HW into the design. They would need to create a new model. There is simply no way around that.
  • Reply 195 of 244
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sog35 wrote: »

    making a brand new metal 4 inch phone that sells for $99 is not cost effective
    Once again, it must be pointed out that you have no idea what you are talking about.
  • Reply 196 of 244
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    That would be so great. That would be my phone. The larger phones are just too damn big for my little hobbit hands.
  • Reply 197 of 244
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Apple has never done it before. I have history on my side.
    Apple has designed a brand new phone and sold it for $99. Prior to that they had no history of designing any brand new phone and selling it for $99. Your argument is specious, and only confirms you have no idea what you are talking about.
  • Reply 198 of 244
    sog35 wrote: »
    give Apple more room they can put more and better tech.

    Name one company that can't do the same?
  • Reply 199 of 244
    Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

    ...why would buyers...

     

    The exact same reason they do this very thing EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

  • Reply 200 of 244
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Its not just a matter of a product being profitable. Its about opportunity costs.
    The opportunity is in the massive customer base that doesn't want a brick in their pocket.
    Why the hell would Apple sell a $99 phone at 4 inches when they can sell the same person a $299 phone?
    Who says they would sell it for $99. More importantly do they want to loose customers that aren't interested in phablets but yet want a modern cell phone.
    What you are asking Apple to do is become Samdung = making tons of different models. And look what happened to Samdung's profits beause of their lack of focus.
    Nope, I'm asking them to modernize the niche occupied by the iPhone 4 sized devices.
    Apple will NEVER sell a $300 off contract phone. They dont make JUNK. They are NOT Amazon.

    You make an assumption here that price equals quality! Unfortunately that has never been the case. It is very possible for Apple to do high quality in that price range. It really comes down to how much engineering effort Apple puts into the device and its choice of parts vendors. Just putting the Qualcomm modem functionality into the Axx processor would have a significant impact on costs.

    Your problem, which you have displayed repeatedly, is that you seem to think that Apple lives in a static world where progress does not exist. Thankfully Apples management doesn't share your world view as they have aggressively pushed technology forward pushing IOS devices farther into the future than I would have imagined when iPhone first came out. I have no doubt in my mind that Apple can produce a small iPhone at a very competitive price. More importantly they can do so and still make good money on the device.
Sign In or Register to comment.