KGI: Apple likely to launch simple stylus to enhance upcoming 12.9-inch iPad user experience; advanc

Comments

• Reply 21 of 282
    'If you need a stylus, you blew it.' Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple

Tut tut, Apple.

Keyword being 'need'. The iPad will never need a stylus. It would be an optional accessory that enhances writing.
  • Reply 22 of 282
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Yet more evidence of Mr Cook as the new Michael Spindler - too bad most people can't see the long-term obviousness of that:

- "Follow the analyst", me-too failed products: iPad mini and iPhone 5C, already to be discontinued;

- Another failure in the making: Apple Watch:

- Increasingly bloated product line (remember the Performa/LC/Quadra mess?);

- and now this stylus BS: why simplify if you can complicate it? 

Go back to being a COO, Cook - and nothing else.

Guess who's trolling now.

I'm inclined to agree, particularly regards the Apple Watch. Its time has not yet come, and should be gently purged.

To add to your list: removing the best sized and best-selling iPhone from sale-the 4".

Also losing focus by not keeping the software tight, but giving in to feature-sprawl.

Um... the 6 will be the best selling iPhone. Oh and didn't Jobs replace the best selling iPod mini with the nano?
  • Reply 23 of 282
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Snowing where you are?

• Reply 24 of 282

Tut tut, Apple.

Clearly you haven't heard of the Newton, or the mockery it received from the press. Or the runaway failure of an experiment that was called the Microsoft Windows Tablet with Pen Extensions. These things prove Jobs was correct.
  • Reply 25 of 282
    "We believe, if you need a stylus, you already failed"
    "Hand-writing is probably the slowest input method ever invented"
    "Who wants a Stylus?"

- Steve
  • Reply 26 of 282
    Having a digitizer built into a larger iPad, with the proper APIs and Frameworks, along with partners to show off some apps with demos at the event would likely let Apple know within a year is a digitizer in other the iPad (or iPad and iPhone) would be worth the cost to the customer.
  • Reply 27 of 282

The larger 12.9" iPad will likely have an enhanced OS and UI where the addition of a stylus makes sense.  The force sensor technology of Apple Watch and technology from PrimeSense will likely be included in the new system.

Other Apple technologies to look out for?

1.  The 5K Retina iMac is likely a prelude to interactive Apple 5K TVs and Conference room displays with 3D gesture capabilities.

2.  PrimeSense technology will likely allow iPhones & iPads to capture 3D object to be rendered on 3D printers.

3.  Apple's iBeacon hardware with enhanced capabilities will be deployed massively globally as a catalyst the the ecosystem.

4.  PassBook will gain new features such as store coupons & loyalty benefits, ID cards, Driver's licenses, Receipts, Tickets etc...

5.  iCloud will securely sync fingerprints between between Apple devices of the same owner.

Lot and Lots to do to enhance the "Apple Ecosystem" and stay ahead of the pack.

Time will tell.

• Reply 28 of 282
    "We believe, if you need a stylus, you already failed"
    "Hand-writing is probably the slowest input method ever invented"
    "Who wants a Stylus?"

- Steve

1) And your point? Do you think Apple will drop their capacitive touchscreen HW and UI designed for the finger in order to support only a stylus?

2) Define hand-written? One could say that typing is written with the hands. If your saying that is specifically means writing out letters with the hand using some sort of elongated writing tool why assume that a stylus couldn't be used for painting or any other task on a digital display?
  • Reply 29 of 282
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

No, Jobs hated stylii; have to put you right, there.

I think you're elevating Jobs's aptitude to a level that even he didn't attain.

He did have failures, probably more than we can imagine, as most of them will have been unseen by the public.

There are different Macs to cater to different market segments, so you're wrong there, too.

Never increased his product line?! The iPods grew and grew by the year.

You may be right about Cook not cutting back on products. There's too much splurge with the iPad line, that's for sure.

I think the commenter was being sarcastic.
  • Reply 30 of 282
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Snowing where you are?

U2?

Tsk, seems that everyone else is getting the good stuff.

• Reply 31 of 282
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member

If Apple solves the artist's stylus at a pro level, I'll likely be buying my first iPad.

• Reply 32 of 282
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Tut tut, Apple.

Clearly you haven't heard of the Newton, or the mockery it received from the press. Or the runaway failure of an experiment that was called the Microsoft Windows Tablet with Pen Extensions. These things prove Jobs was correct.

I agree with you. Not sure what you're trying to say.

• Reply 33 of 282

I myself have a stylus to draw on the iPad, but that's 2% of the time i am using the thing. As people said in the discussion: it's an accessory.

I do imagine the Apple Wand concept to work on a long-distance interface with swipes and gestures (as replacement of the remote) but a stylus.. no.

• Reply 34 of 282

A stylus has its place. With 'professionals,' be it art and design (mostly), and now possibly writing.

Still, 95%+ of the iOS experience will be with your finger. Jobs was right about the core of the experience.

• Reply 35 of 282
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,580member
    It should also be noted that Apple still has the best handwriting recognition system ever devised. To my knowledge, no one has ever beaten the system included in Newton OS 2.1.
    Microsoft's handwriting recognition on the Surface Pro3 is reportedly very well done. It's also unique. It's able to store your handwriting itself just as done, and that handwriting is also directly searchable. That's pretty cool.
  • Reply 36 of 282
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Every example of Steve naysaying an idea need only be prefaced with 'at this moment in time', which is obviously what he meant.
  • Reply 37 of 282
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Microsoft's handwriting recognition on the Surface Pro3 is reportedly very well done. It's also unique. It's able to store your handwriting itself just as done, and that handwriting is also directly searchable. That's pretty cool.

That's not unique, the Newton does all that apart from the searchability.

I laughed when they were showing how it could take a roughly drawn shape and make it correct, because again, the Newton does that too.

• Reply 38 of 282
    applezilla wrote: »
    A stylus has its place. With 'professionals,' be it art and design (mostly), and now possibly writing.

Still, 95%+ of the iOS experience will be with your finger. Jobs was right about the core of the experience.

Just a crazy thought... What if it is not iOS?
    What if iPad pro is coming with OS X?

And then suddenly it all makes sense.
    1. It needs a pixel perfect pointing device - explains the stylus rumors
    2. It runs on ARM - explains the Intel switch rumors
    3. It runs XCode - explains the Pro suffix
    :)
  • Reply 39 of 282
    Steve Jobs' you-misplace-it hostility aside, a stylus makes a lot of sense, but if and only if Apple's iOS and apps can make a distinction between what's done with a stylus (i.e. drawing on screen) versus what is done with a finger (i.e. choosing drawing tools).

It'd work around what's perhaps the #1 problem with touchscreen tablet UIs, the limited number of ways to input. A mouse, for instance, can hover over and click/double-click with any of several buttons. All a typical impoverished touchscreen UI has is touch-tapping enhanced just a little by swiping or pinching. But the latter only work in special circumstance.

I suspect those iPad Pros will be great for graphics designers. A well-designed stylus would make them even better.
  • Reply 40 of 282
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    blastdoor wrote: »
    Stylus, eh?

Well... I guess people will probably quote Jobs' opinion about the merits of a stylus (he was against it).

But a few thoughts:

1. adding a stylus at this stage of the game as an optional accessory is quite a different thing from having the UI built around the assumption that a stylus is necessary from day one

2. I can imagine that enterprise/pro customers want something more than fingers as the basis for interaction with an iPad. A stylus might be a more attractive option (in terms of mobility) than going the keyboard route. 

3. Jobs changed his mind all the time. People shouldn't assume he would be against something now just because he was against it in 2010. 
    When was Jobs against using stylus on a tablet? On the phone, stylus is dumb and he was correct with iPhone since 2007. No one bought stylus for iPhone ever.