KGI: Apple likely to launch simple stylus to enhance upcoming 12.9-inch iPad user experience; advanc

Comments

• Reply 81 of 282
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    "We believe, if you need a stylus, you already failed"
    "Hand-writing is probably the slowest input method ever invented"
    "Who wants a Stylus?"

- Steve
    Instead of quoting Steve Jobs imagine instead how he'd sell the concept of a stylus after having dissed it previously.

Personally I'd love the ability to use a stylus or a mouse in IOS. I just don't see the problem with that irrespective of what anybody said when first selling the idea of an iPad. It's just a matter of additional and more importantly- optional - functionality.
  • Reply 82 of 282
    A 3D stylus could also be used as a presentation pointer/clicker, TV remote, camera remote, perhaps other uses. Very valuable in form filling. Depending on the price point they shoot for, it could be used for Siri input and dictation. It has to be a tempting product space.
  • Reply 83 of 282
    paxman wrote: »
    Instead of quoting Steve Jobs imagine instead how he'd sell the concept of a stylus after having dissed it previously.

"I'm telling you, the level of control this offers is unbelieveable. You really have to try this to believe it. We'll have these for you to try after the keynote today."

"We did it because our professional customers demanded it, and we wanted to meet that demand. Other companies just slap a pen on the side, we did it right."

"We can't wait to see what people create with these new tools, both the apps and the finished products."
  • Reply 84 of 282
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

The irony is that the stylus in all these old devices was never meant for drawing, they were ment for handwriting input, something that a lot of people never use anymore in day-to-day life except to sign legal documents.

I recall when the Apple Stores ditched those Windows handhelds and began using the iPhone to read credit cards, they also provided a stylus for customer signatures. They quit using the stylus some time later and made people sign with their finger, but the quality of the signature using a finger is not very good. The stylus was better in my opinion.

One reason iOS apps do not have very complex UI designs is because fingers are too fat. I know I'm always making mistakes, like when scrolling from the bottom of an email I occasionally hit the trash can by accident... and for some reason in iCloud the trashed mail disappears immediately so you can't even retrieve it. 

There is nothing wrong with using an input device that provides pixel perfect interaction if that is what you want.

• Reply 85 of 282
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why restate the obvious? Did it need to be said again?

yes, because the trolls here are conflating Jobs' iPhone quote w/ optional iPad use. thus his reason to restate the context of the quote. pretty simple stuff to get your head around.

• Reply 86 of 282
    Quote:

Did he amend his statement when introducing the iPad? If not then the status quo remains in effect. It's not that hard.

nope, logic fail. the absence of data (an updated quote from Jobs on his thoughts on a stylus & tablets) can't be use to promote a point ("Jobs hated stylus for tablets, even today").

• Reply 87 of 282
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

yes, because the trolls here are conflating Jobs' iPhone quote w/ optional iPad use. thus his reason to restate the context of the quote. pretty simple stuff to get your head around.

Then let's look at the iPad quote yet again.
    (Steve Jobs) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it.

What part of 'they blew it' is difficult for you to understand?
  • Reply 88 of 282
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You forgot; C) Jobs was wrong

Your interpretation is wrong if you think that's what was Jobs meaning.
  • Reply 89 of 282

Guess what!? Jobs is dead! He's not running Apple! Tim Cook has an express edict to do what he thinks is best for Apple!

Novel thought, isn't it?
  • Reply 90 of 282
    Guess what!? Jobs is dead! He's not running Apple! Tim Cook has an express edict to do what he thinks is best for Apple!

Novel thought, isn't it?

Dead, and wrong.
  • Reply 91 of 282
    Quote:

What part of 'they blew it' is difficult for you to understand?

one doesn't need a stylus for an iPad. its UI was designed for a touch-only experience, and the stylus is an optional accessory for niche use cases. so Jobs' quote and its meaning (UI's designed for stylus) wasn't wrong.

troll *harder*...you can do it!!

• Reply 92 of 282
    Dead, and wrong.

I'm sure you feel so big, "proving" a dead man "wrong". :rolleyes:

You know, Gates said 640k of memory ought to be enough for anybody, so why does Windows use more than that today?
  • Reply 93 of 282
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaker's Ugly Brother View Post

Well, yeah, the iPad mini is overdue for retirement, given that the iPad mini 2 and 3 are both available. It makes sense for Apple to focus their product line a bit, retire the original mini, and drop prices on the 2 and 3, which would be in line with their earlier product line actions. I'm not seeing a "failed" product there, just expected progression.

The iPhone 5C is also due for replacement in mid to late 2015, since it will be 2 years old by that point, so the rumors of its retirement make sense. Presumably it will be replaced by a new model with similar internals to the iPhone 6 but the standard form factor of the iPhone 5c and 5s, and probably an aggressive price. Again, hardly "failed" in any sense.

The Apple Watch is a "failure in the making"?  Got any sales numbers to back that up? No? Oh, of course you don't, because it isn't even available yet and you are making stuff up.

As for the stylus, it's a rumor. People have been predicting Apple styli since the iPad was first announced. Yawn. Ooooh, this rumor is from a fairly reputable source? Yawn.

Overall, your post sounds pretty trollish to me. Perhaps that's why Tim Cook is running the most successful company on the planet, and you're some random voice ranting on internet boards.

Let me be clear again, no matter how much folks wish to deny the obvious:

- the iPad mini is GOING TO BE discontinued after just a short stroll around the market;

- the iPhone 5C is GOING TO BE discontinued as well;

- the Apple Watch WILL FAIL;

- an iPad with a stylus is pathetic.

In case of doubt, go check the Macs IIvx and IIvi - they were also great successes. And no, this is no trolling - just a reality check from a guy who has converted more than 25 people to Macs over the last five years.

• Reply 94 of 282
    solipsismy wrote: »

2) Does it need pointing out again that A) Jobs is not Apple, and B) Jobs is dead?

OMFG!!! WHEN did he died! Apple is doom! /s ;)
  • Reply 95 of 282
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Have people forgotten that Jony Ive worked on the Newton? So did Michael Tchao, who now works for Phil Schiller as an iPad marketing VP. The Newton could be considered a product ahead of it's time.

iPad sales are basically flat to declining. YOY growth is non existent now. Of course the iPad initially grew faster than any other Apple product in history. But Apple needs to do something to revive this product line. They're to the point where it's almost impossible to make the device any thinner or lighter. So then what? IMO stylus and split screen multitasking (along with the MacBook Air) will keep Microsoft's surface from ever taking off in a meaningful way.

The Surface is and has always been DOA EXACTLY because people do not want to have a crossover device in their hands - so if Cook is unable to see the obvious again and relies on such a terribly wrong analysis to launch a "me-too" product to catch after ANOTHER failed device, then the so-called "iPad Pro" will be even worse in its reasons than the stylus itself.

• Reply 96 of 282
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Jobs was a pragmatic salesman. As technology or market conditions changed, so did he. And Apple/Jobs will do anything to avoid the Osborne Effect.

The "iPad Pro" will certainly be usable without a stylus, but to use the device to its fullest, you'll want one.

• Reply 97 of 282
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

But why does everyone think that sales must continue to increase every year? No one has any idea what a stable market number for the iPad is.

They DID increase under Jobs exactly because he knew how and when to come up with new market demands, bearing in mind the fundamental principle of Apple as a GROWTH stock; on the other hand, with Cook's first stupid decision to distribute dividends, what do we have? Just a new MS or IBM.

• Reply 98 of 282
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    brlawyer wrote: »

Let me be clear again, no matter how much folks wish to deny the obvious:

- the iPad mini is GOING TO BE discontinued after just a short stroll around the market;

- the iPhone 5C is GOING TO BE discontinued as well;

- the Apple Watch WILL FAIL;

- an iPad with a stylus is pathetic.

In case of doubt, go check the Macs IIvx and IIvi - they were also great successes. And no, this is no trolling - just a reality check from a guy who has converted more than 25 people to Macs over the last five years.

Of course the 5c will be discontinued as its going to be replaced with the 6c or whatever Apple calls it. Just like the 4 got replaced by the 4s and the 4s by the 5 and the 5 by the 5s.
  • Reply 99 of 282
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    one doesn't need a stylus for an iPad. its UI was designed for a touch-only experience, and the stylus is an optional accessory for niche use cases. so Jobs' quote and its meaning (UI's designed for stylus) wasn't wrong.

troll *harder*...you can do it!!

What tablet had a UI specifically designed for a stylus? Deflect harder... You can do it.
  • Reply 100 of 282
    paxman wrote: »

"I'm telling you, the level of control this offers is unbelieveable. You really have to try this to believe it. We'll have these for you to try after the keynote today."

"We did it because our professional customers demanded it, and we wanted to meet that demand. Other companies just slap a pen on the side, we did it right."

"We can't wait to see what people create with these new tools, both the apps and the finished products."

Before getting through the last sentence you had be digging my wallet out!!