Apple obliterates expectations, selling 74.5M iPhones & earning $18B in profit

Comments

• Reply 221 of 253
    asdasd wrote: »
    Let's all agree that.

1) the people on here who rubbished big screens -- many making the argument that Apple is always right -- were wrong.
    2) the excuses for the 5C were incorrect. Cook said that the 6, not the 6+ was top seller this year. it looks like there wasn't a plan to sell fewer 5Cs last year. They miscalculated. Maybe on price.

1) Why does the focus always get misattributed to larger screens instead of larger devices? The iPhone 6 is lighter and has less volume than all the 3.5" iPhones that came before it. Having that 4.7" iPhone was simply not possible years ago.

2) What excuses for the iPhone 5C? It may not have sold like Apple expected (I think there is some comment from Apple about that) but it certainly sold well enough to be in the top 3 spots for most US carriers for most of the year. It was unusual that Apple removed the iPhone 5 to sell an new product with a new casing that was plastic. There was a hypothesis that the increase in iPhone sales meant they couldn't create enough iPhone 5 and 5S casings so they had to balance their resources by shifting the (mostly) year-old internals to a plastic casing. Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis to me, and makes me wonder if the move to two sizes this year was to help balance production and resources in other ways, which then makes me wonder what will happen to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus this Autumn with the next iPhones are launched.
  • Reply 222 of 253
    jungmark wrote: »
    Not really childish. "What's next" is a useless question. You can ask that every year. Apple has a lot of people thinking about and designing "what's next".

I find that to be a very tool in abductive reasoning (what Sherlock Holmes and others actually do, not deductive reasoning). For example, years ago on this forum I suggested that Apple could potentially make Mac OS X free to all as a way of creating a net gain to their profits and spelled out my reasoning for it. I had no idea if my hypothesis would ever happen, and still have no idea if my specific reasoning is the same as what prompted Apple to make Mac OS X free of charge, but that doesn't matter because it was a useful tool in trying to see casualty between multiple components constantly in flux.
    I don't believe I ever said Apple shouldn't do a big phone. I hoped it wouldn't do a Phablet. I was ok with the <5" iPhone.

I've said time and time again that I want a smaller phone but bigger display. Why the term phone and display are interchanged is beyond my understanding, because as we've seen with the iPhone 6 it's lighter than all iPhones up through the iPhone 4S and has less volume than all iPhones up through the iPhone 3GS.
  • Reply 223 of 253
    muppetry wrote: »
    Actually it isn't. It is only your assertion (and a pretty stupid one) that his disagreement arises from his employment by the U.S. Government.

His justifications may be based on impersonal legal arguments, however his income and lifestyle depends on his position, which can only exist thanks to tax dollars. You can dispute the motivation, but you cannot dispute the self-interested connection. Ipso facto, one exists thanks to the other.
  • Reply 224 of 253
    mpantone wrote: »

Probably having a drink with Constable Odo.

;)

Misery loves company
  • Reply 225 of 253
    Wow that's really impressive! Congrats to Apple for exceeding everyone's expectations again. $18B profit in one quarter is insane.
  • Reply 226 of 253
    crowley wrote: »
    The choice is not "none". You can go live in the woods, or Somalia.

How does paying those taxes seem now?

Like force. And two shit alternatives. My concrete actions will have zero bearing on the nature of tax as a concept.
  • Reply 227 of 253
    tonton wrote: »
    So... Show us an example of limited government that works. Anywhere.

Do you seriously want us to make the U.S. a fucking experiment, when there are mountains of research that contradicts the Ayn Rand moronic view that "the free market fixes itself", which it never has?

Somalia dissolved the "failed government" of which you speak in 1992 FFS.

What, 23 years is not enough time for "small government" to do its Randian magic?

Fail.

The U.S. was an Enlightenment experiment. A highly successful one.

Ah, Somalia! That bastion of individual rights! You can't start with politics. Metaphysics and epistemology first, and that's where it gets screwed. Every time.

Regardless, none of that refutes the assertion that tax = force.
  • Reply 228 of 253
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

A government employee disagrees because his livelihood is completely dependent on taxation? Shocker.

I don't work for the government and Justice Holmes had more intellectual horsepower than that and as with most any Supreme Court Justice they're earning power outside of the court would dwarf their government pay.

OTOH I use a LOT of services provided by the government, from air traffic control to interstates to clean air and water and as a responsible adult I prefer to pay for what I benefit from. The freeloader mentality is a recognized phenomena I'll agree. Along with President Bush's take: "VooDoo Economics".

• Reply 229 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

I don't work for the government and Justice Holmes had more intellectual horsepower than that and as with most any Supreme Court Justice they're earning power outside of the court would dwarf their government pay.

OTOH I use a LOT of services provided by the government, from air traffic control to interstates to clean air and water and as a responsible adult I prefer to pay for what I benefit from. The freeloader mentality is a recognized phenomena I'll agree. Along with President Bush's take: "VooDoo Economics".

That's not "voodoo economics".

• Reply 230 of 253
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

That's not "voodoo economics".

The freeloader mentality that cutting taxes while maintaining and even expanding government services as the cut taxes "magically" stimulate the economy (Reagan's pet fantasy) is very much "VooDoo" as President Bush rightly termed it.

• Reply 231 of 253
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Sometimes cutting taxes (prices) does stimulate the economy (sales). Depends on where you are on the Laffer curve.

• Reply 232 of 253
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bugsnw wrote: »
    Sometimes cutting taxes (prices) does stimulate the economy (sales). Depends on where you are on the Laffer curve.

One million dollars will circulate through the economy much quicker in the hands of many, than in the hands of one.
  • Reply 233 of 253
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Actually it isn't. It is only your assertion (and a pretty stupid one) that his disagreement arises from his employment by the U.S. Government.

His justifications may be based on impersonal legal arguments, however his income and lifestyle depends on his position, which can only exist thanks to tax dollars. You can dispute the motivation, but you cannot dispute the self-interested connection. Ipso facto, one exists thanks to the other.

Yes - OK - but you claimed direct causation, and then reiterated it as a fact. And if, by "self-interested connection", you still mean that his employment influenced his opinion, then not even a smattering of Latin is going to win the argument. If that also reflects your broader view of how everyone else forms opinions - narrow-minded self-interest - then I would have to suggest that you are actually just projecting.

• Reply 234 of 253
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

…maybe now you can pay some taxes?

Shut up and go away.

• Reply 235 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Provide a rigorous definition of "fair share"

The same as you and I?  Or I guess you are cool with paying a higher percentage?

Quit being apple fanboys.  I love apple just as much as you guys do.  But they don't actually pay taxes just like none of these huge corps do.  Quit defending them.  If they actually paid they wouldn't be hoarding it all in Ireland and trying to get Obama to strike a deal to bring the cash back.  Period.

• Reply 236 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually no it isn't a problem. In many cases Apple is simply avoiding having its earnings tacked multiple times.

Actually I haven't seen a ligitimate argument for more taxes on Apple or any company. The people whining are often those that do the least for the economy. Frankly screw them if they aren't willing to work.

More baloney! The people arguing this point are almost certainly trying to surpress the rights of other for their own gain. More so when corporations are targeted, it is often coverage for the real intention which is to go after private organizations. In other words ugly left wing attempts to take people's freedom away.

Taking 'freedoms' away is when the super rich own the planet and say what goes, which is exactly what these huge corporations are doing. They use their extra billions to BUY the government and then own you and I.  Tell me what 'freedoms' you think you'll have then?  None.

• Reply 237 of 253
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    frankie wrote: »

The same as you and I?  Or I guess you are cool with paying a higher percentage?

Quit being apple fanboys.  I love apple just as much as you guys do.  But they don't actually pay taxes just like none of these huge corps do.  Quit defending them.  If they actually paid they wouldn't be hoarding it all in Ireland and trying to get Obama to strike a deal to bring the cash back.  Period.
    Apple's effective rate: 26%. My rate: < 15%.
  • Reply 238 of 253
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    bugsnw wrote: »
    What blew me away when I read the details was Tim Cook saying less than 15% of the sales #s of iPhones were from updaters. I really thought that number was going to be a lot higher. That certainly bodes well for future upside surprises.

They said there was a higher number of Android switchers than ever before and this can be seen from the performance of Android phone manufacturers. The larger models were not for existing customers. If you look at upgrade rates for the older iPhones, they were 55-75%. The latest models are for the likes of India, China and in general, Android people.

The design is also a step backwards for existing iPhone users:

The screen is better but not the overall design.

It means more users to upgrade overall in future. If they offer more reasonable sizes and clean the design up, more existing users will upgrade.
  • Reply 239 of 253
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    In my opinion you are placing the blame on the wrong party? Who's at fault for buying the govt, the buyer or the seller? Or the person who appointed the seller in the first place (voter)?

Every single person should be maximizing the tax code to their benefit in terms of deductions and such. I'd like to see the tax filings for anyone who feigns outrage.
    frankie wrote: »

Taking 'freedoms' away is when the super rich own the planet and say what goes, which is exactly what these huge corporations are doing. They use their extra billions to BUY the government and then own you and I.  Tell me what 'freedoms' you think you'll have then?  None.
  • Reply 240 of 253
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    No, it's not. His then current occupation may have been in public service, however there's no doubt his livelihood would have faired quite well in the private sector.
    The statement is factually correct.