Apple obliterates expectations, selling 74.5M iPhones & earning $18B in profit

Comments

• Reply 121 of 253
    canukstorm wrote: »
    I can remember, not too long ago, when the critics thought that selling 10 million iPhones in a year was way, way, way overly optimistic ...
    Very true but now we're at 74 million in a quarter.  Big difference.

Do you remember when the Apple share price was at $10? I bet when they reached $74, a few wondered how much further it could rise.
  • Reply 121 of 253
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Looks like the shorts won today, but tomorrow we'll see some real excitement.

How did the shorts win? It's 115.30 at the moment. Anybody who is currently short is in for a world of hurt this week, and they'll probably be trying to dump their shorts as quickly as possible.

• Reply 123 of 253
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    One thing we know: 16 > 64 = record profits and record iPhone ASPs. I'm sure Phil Schiller's bonus was off the charts this year.
  • Reply 124 of 253
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Luckily you don't work at Apple.

Childish. ( Also something you probably said when Apple was not producing big screens and people here opined it should).
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Very true but now we're at 74 million in a quarter.  Big difference.

To get the same unit and revenue growth they need to really knock it out of the park next year. However the upgrade cycle this year was amplified by the move to a bigger screen. Can Apple sell 100m, mostly high end models, on the S cycle?
  • Reply 125 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Apple pays more in taxes than any other company in the nation.

Anyone care to do the research on this?

Apple is the largest corporate taxpayer in the US. Anybody claiming that Apple doesn't pay their fair share is clueless, wrong and ignorant.

• Reply 126 of 253
    rogifan wrote: »
    One thing we know: 16 > 64 = record profits and record iPhone ASPs. I'm sure Phil Schiller's bonus was off the charts this year.

Yes that was incredibly clever. It basically made me get a 64 GB rather than a 32GB were that available.

Annoying. But clever.
  • Reply 127 of 253
    eightzero wrote: »
    $197 million profits per day!

If I earnt that a day, I might splash out on a second, or even third, whisky.

Ah well; it's good to dream.
    Another person did the math: that's 586 iPhones per minute sold for the duration of the quarter...and profit of about $2300 *per second.*

Impressive.

Apple's iPhone maker must be pretty quick with his hands.
  • Reply 128 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

How did the shorts win? It's 115.30 at the moment. Anybody who is currently short is in for a world of hurt this week, and they'll probably be trying to dump their shorts as quickly as possible.

That's after hours activity, which always strangely disconnected from the regular day's trading.

• Reply 129 of 253
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Oh I'm sure that is the case. But it is a bit worrying to see iPhone consume more and more of Apple revenue. Hopefully ?Watch will change that. Cook said it will start shipping in April.

Not sure how that would help. Since ?Watch has to be tethered to iPhone it will only make the "problem" worse.
  • Reply 130 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Do you remember when the Apple share price was at $10? I bet when they reached $74, a few wondered how much further it could rise.

Keep in mind that including the after hours price, relative to the starting price for the day, the stock gained something like $3, but the end of day's trading we saw a massive drop.

• Reply 131 of 253
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The trolls suddenly.... disappeared!

You got to go to Cnet for it. All the sudden, bunch of fandroids come out with their Nexus 6 as best device...lol.

• Reply 132 of 253

That's after hours activity, which always strangely disconnected from the regular day's trading.

It indicates a positive attitude to the results and will be where the stock starts tomorrow.
  • Reply 133 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, of course I was talking about AH price. Today's general market action had to do with the entire market being down.

And those who are currently short are still affected by the AH price, because when AAPL opens up tomorrow, that gives them a general idea that AAPL is going to open up tomorrow with a big gap up.

• Reply 134 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

It's the barrel of oil vs cost of petrol issue. The price of petrol never drops when the cost of oil goes down but will always go up when the barrel of oil price goes up. Apple's stock price is the reverse. When Apple's profits go up their stock price either does not or drops.

In other words the two are not related.

I think they are as I understand it now. Investors expect Apply to announce dividend payout amount and based on the estimated number $3.06, it should be the price drop.

• Reply 135 of 253
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Impressive.

I'm beginning to think that they use fairies.
  • Reply 136 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Well I can't see yoy revenue growth in that quarter again unless the watch takes off

The watch will take off and Apple will break the estimated earning again in July, then expectations will be built up for new iPad and iPhone in third quarter...and blah blah ...the cycle continues.

• Reply 137 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It indicates a positive attitude to the results and will be where the stock starts tomorrow.

That isn't always the case. I watch the day and after hours and they will go in odd directions. Remember, the goal of traders is to make money for themselves, not to reward a company for a job well done. A company's sales are the reward for doing a good job.

• Reply 138 of 253
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Impressive.

I'm beginning to think that they use fairies.

I'm inclined to agree.
  • Reply 139 of 253
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Because it's amateur hour.
  • Reply 140 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Because it's amateur hour.

It's usually dominated by institutional traders.