Apple obliterates expectations, selling 74.5M iPhones & earning $18B in profit

Comments

• Reply 141 of 253
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That isn't always the case. I watch the day and after hours and they will go in odd directions. Remember, the goal of traders is to make money for themselves, not to reward a company for a job well done. A company's sales are the reward for doing a good job.

I watch both also, but this being an earnings day is not a typical day.

Sometimes I'm up at 3am and I even see the Frankfurt action to see what's going on there.

• Reply 142 of 253
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Childish. ( Also something you probably said when Apple was not producing big screens and people here opined it should).
    To get the same unit and revenue growth they need to really knock it out of the park next year. However the upgrade cycle this year was amplified by the move to a bigger screen. Can Apple sell 100m, mostly high end models, on the S cycle?

?Watch requires an iPhone

Add that plus a few unexpected features and they can definitely beat that. Especially with the 2015 China push and newly acquired mindshare.

And I expect them to push Beats hard this year. So as far as revenue goes I wouldn't worry!!
  • Reply 143 of 253
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Yes that was incredibly clever. It basically made me get a 64 GB rather than a 32GB were that available.

Annoying. But clever.

Agreed. Not a fan of it really. Apple now has $175B in cash. They print money like nobody's business. They could easily afford to make 32GB the base for flagship iOS devices.
  • Reply 144 of 253
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,732member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Do you remember when the Apple share price was at $10? I bet when they reached $74, a few wondered how much further it could rise.

Yes, I remember.  Look, I'm not saying it's impossible.  Just saying it's going to be a real challenge.  We're talking about the largest profit ever in a single quarter by ANY corporation.  You don't get too many chances to achieve that.

• Reply 145 of 253
    cali wrote: »
    Not sure how that would help. Since ?Watch has to be tethered to iPhone it will only make the "problem" worse.

A phone is required right now, not forever. Also ?Watch supports more than just the new phones. I'm sure there are plenty of 5s and 5c owners who will get the watch so they can use ?Pay.
  • Reply 146 of 253
    canukstorm wrote: »
    I can remember, not too long ago, when the critics thought that selling 10 million iPhones in a year was way, way, way overly optimistic ...
    Very true but now we're at 74 million in a quarter.  Big difference.

Glass half-full perspective ...

Back then, there was an install base of 0 iPhones -- every one was a new sale or a switcher from another brand.

Today, over 1 Billion iOS devices have been sold. Given Apple's high satisfaction ratings, each of these is a potential for upgrade when newer versions are announced.

Further, if Apple follows its historic trends, it is already developing products that will drop dead obsolete/replace these iOS devices when the tech that meets Apple's standards is available.

So:  a large, satisfied installed base:  proven, profitable products;  commitment and investment in R&D;  willingness to enter new markets; willingness to obsolete/replace existing products, when the time is right.

Yes, it is a very  Big difference ... IMO, avery positive one!
  • Reply 147 of 253
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Agreed. Not a fan of it really. Apple now has $175B in cash. They print money like nobody's business. They could easily afford to make 32GB the base for flagship iOS devices.
    That's a stupid comment.
  • Reply 148 of 253
    solipsismy wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    That's a stupid comment.

No, it's not.

Yours is, though.
  • Reply 149 of 253
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    cali wrote: »
    Not sure how that would help. Since ?Watch has to be tethered to iPhone it will only make the "problem" worse.

No it doesn't.
  • Reply 150 of 253
    jungmark wrote: »
    Luckily you don't work at Apple.

Childish. ( Also something you probably said when Apple was not producing big screens and people here opined it should).
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Very true but now we're at 74 million in a quarter.  Big difference.

To get the same unit and revenue growth they need to really knock it out of the park next year. However the upgrade cycle this year was amplified by the move to a bigger screen. Can Apple sell 100m, mostly high end models, on the S cycle?

Who says there always has to be an S cycle? Tick, tick, tick ...Boom!
  • Reply 151 of 253
    Where is [B]brlawyer[/B] to bitch about how crappy Tim Cook is doing as CEO?

AAPL: $115.40 in after hours trading.
  • Reply 152 of 253
    fallenjt wrote: »
    nasserae wrote: »

The trolls suddenly.... disappeared!
    You got to go to Cnet for it. All the sudden, bunch of fandroids come out with their Nexus 6 as best device...lol.

I like your sig -- and I agree!
  • Reply 153 of 253
    It's true, iPads last a long time, iPhones are a constant necessity by upgrades, iMacs and Macs are continuing to gain ground, Apple TV's have yet to reach a wide audience, but once they catch the sports media look out Roku, iPay is a near full success after only 3 months, iHome is just around the corner, iHealth will become huge, iWatch will gradually catch all of us who want health to dominate our free time, and iAll will connect us across every device.
  • Reply 154 of 253
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,828member

Well done Apple. Happy to say that I have contributed to this current quarter's earnings. A couple of comments:

[1] My less-than-one-month-old iPhone 6 Plus already feels smaller in my (albeit big) hands. I'm pleased too that with my ageing eyes, I can read well formed web pages without my reading glasses.

[2] I use my 1st generation iPad every day. Wired magazine (which so often misses the plot regarding Apple) described the iPad's mundanity as a problem. This is exactly, precisely the wrong conclusion. Mundanity would be a sure sign of success. I'm not at all concerned about lower iPad sales, the 'art' is only in the early stages.

:) 

• Reply 155 of 253
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

Time to fire Cook¡

• Reply 156 of 253
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,309member
    Steve Jobs would be damn proud!
  • Reply 157 of 253
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Unbelievable. Shattering expectations is Tim's calling card now.
    Up 5% in after hours. They do their release after close.

Well now, I've been crushed by Apple's huge successes. First class products, at a reasonable price.
    Move over losers, top market share is from "giving away" inferior products, to the not so smart customers !

Even the Mac has increased sales, while personally owned Windows PCs die and business runs oldie Win versions.

This after hours trading has me puzzled,
    I was never invited to the after hours trading party.
    Must be an insiders game, to get shares for a quick profit at opening tomorrow.
  • Reply 158 of 253
    Best comment I've read.
    "iHaters around the world are very speechless today :D well i think lot of Apple users are too, because these numbers are just out of this world."
  • Reply 159 of 253

Best comment I've read.

"iHaters around the world are very speechless today :D well i think lot of Apple users are too, because these numbers are just out of this world."

• Reply 160 of 253
    Cook speculated that there could be some iPad cannibalization with the Mac. I wish someone would have asked him a follow up question on that. I'd love to know why he thinks people are choosing a Mac over an iPad.