Apple obliterates expectations, selling 74.5M iPhones & earning $18B in profit

Comments

• Reply 61 of 253
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,129member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Okay...the problem is you're not looking at this properly. It's not that the iPhone is consuming a larger chunk of the same pie. The pie is also getting bigger as the iPhone gets bigger. And this was likely a bit of an outsized quarter due to pent-up iPhone demand.

Yup. And...we are about to get offered new technology to expand and enhance the usability of said iPhones: Apple Watch!

• Reply 62 of 253
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    frankie wrote: »

Maybe you can go away.
  • Reply 63 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Of course they do.  Did you read my post?  They aren't doing anything illegal or different thtna anyone else.

What I'm saying is maybe now they can pay their fair share, along with all the other huge 'American' companies that buy the gov't instead of actually paying.

But I guess you like your government bought and paid for instead right?

Is this guy the latest TekStud?

• Reply 64 of 253
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,150member
    Quote:

Nicely done apple.  

Maybe now you can pay some taxes?

I actually am proud to pay taxes as an American.  Maybe you can go away.

They paid $6.39B in taxes on income of $24.4B, an effective tax rate of 26.1%.

Source: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2015/01/27Apple-Reports-Record-First-Quarter-Results.html

• Reply 65 of 253
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Okay...the problem is you're not looking at this properly. It's not that the iPhone is consuming a larger chunk of the same pie. The pie is also getting bigger as the iPhone gets bigger. And this was likely a bit of an outsized quarter due to pent-up iPhone demand.

Oh I'm sure that is the case. But it is a bit worrying to see iPhone consume more and more of Apple revenue. Hopefully ?Watch will change that. Cook said it will start shipping in April.
  • Reply 66 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Is this guy the latest TekStud?

No idea. I just reported him since he only posts the same thing over and over.

• Reply 67 of 253
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    I'm fucking blown away they were even able to MANUFACTURE, ship, and sell this many phones in a quarter- I was worried about the supply. Tim Cook is truly a supply chain God. This sin't some plastic piece of shit either- it's an insanely well crafted, complex piece of electronics with extremely low tolerances.
  • Reply 68 of 253
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Where are all the "Cook must go" or "Cook is only a good COO" posts and "Apple must release a cheap iPhone or 4" iPhone" posts?
  • Reply 68 of 253
    schlackschlack Posts: 724member
    Doomed! Doomed!
  • Reply 70 of 253

• Reply 71 of 253
    Quote:

while its cash pile ballooned to the point that it could buy about 480 of the S&P 500 companies outright.

Wow...

• Reply 72 of 253
    frankie wrote: »
    sflocal wrote: »

they pay every penny they are legally REQUIRED to pay.  Go whine elsewhere.

Of course they do.  Did you read my post?  They aren't doing anything illegal or different thtna anyone else.

What I'm saying is maybe now they can pay their fair share, along with all the other huge 'American' companies that buy the gov't instead of actually paying.

But I guess you like your government bought and paid for instead right?

Who decides what "their fair share" is ... You?
  • Reply 73 of 253
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I'm curious how [@]Benjamin Frost[/@] feels about these iPhone numbers despite having no new 4" on the market.

He now knows how many morons exist. :lol:
  • Reply 74 of 253
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Bloody amazing!!!! Well done Apple.

Watch the lower than expected iPad and Mac sales lower AAPL thanks to Wall Street! 'Too dependent on iPhone' ... just wait and see!

EDIT: I hope I am wrong and APPL soars of course.

I think you are going to be right, they are already saying apple will be trading on guidance going forward not the good news they put out. It Analysis speak for the future is not going to be as good as Q4 so do not expect any big improvement in the stock price since the Analysis are looking for higher than expected which most likely will not happen.

• Reply 75 of 253
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

To put things in perspective. This is 12.6% of all iPhones sold since the iPhone was released in Jun/2007 (excluding Q4 2014). This is just one quarter.

• Reply 76 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

And fking stock price dropped by ~$4. How the fck this even happened. If it were another company, the stock price would've shot to the sky...look at ATT.

It's the barrel of oil vs cost of petrol issue. The price of petrol never drops when the cost of oil goes down but will always go up when the barrel of oil price goes up. Apple's stock price is the reverse. When Apple's profits go up their stock price either does not or drops.

In other words the two are not related.

• Reply 77 of 253
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    Oh my giddy aunt...
    And 47¢ per share! Congrats Apple...you just bought a round for everyone in the pub. I could almost dance a jig...:D
  • Reply 78 of 253
    Still doomed. Also, something something Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 79 of 253
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Nicely done apple.

Not that they're doing anything different than anyone else, but maybe now you can pay some taxes?

How much taxes did you paid last year, I bet you are in the 50% of people in this country who pay little to no taxes. You know the top 50% of the US income earners pay 98% of all the taxes the US collects. This is data published by the IRS, they know who is paying and who is not.

The only people I know complaining how much taxes anyone is paying are those who do not pay or pay very little in taxes.

• Reply 80 of 253
    Still doomed. Also, something something Steve Jobs.

Steve Jobs chose his management team and his successor well ... very well!