Apple obliterates expectations, selling 74.5M iPhones & earning $18B in profit

Comments

• Reply 81 of 253
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    If Apple's a haunted empire...please scare the shit out of me more often.
  • Reply 82 of 253
    This would never have happened if Steve had still been in charge ... :rolleyes:
  • Reply 83 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Oh I'm sure that is the case. But it is a bit worrying to see iPhone consume more and more of Apple revenue. Hopefully ?Watch will change that. Cook said it will start shipping in April.

I don't get it. How do you mean CONSUME more and more of Apple revenue? It's making MOST of it. The iPhone isn't a phone remember. It's a phone, an internet device, and a music player. Did you not pay attention in 2007?

In other words it's a computer in a phone form factor and computers are Apple's core business. The Apple Watch will also be a computer only in a watch form factor.

Consuming NOTHING.

• Reply 84 of 253
    frankie wrote: »

Of course they do.  Did you read my post?  They aren't doing anything illegal or different thtna anyone else.

What I'm saying is maybe now they can pay their fair share, along with all the other huge 'American' companies that buy the gov't instead of actually paying.

But I guess you like your government bought and paid for instead right?

Provide a rigorous definition of "fair share"
  • Reply 85 of 253
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

The trolls suddenly.... disappeared!

• Reply 86 of 253
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I don't get it. How do you mean CONSUME more and more of Apple revenue? It's making MOST of it. The iPhone isn't a phone remember. It's a phone, an internet device, and a music player. Did you not pay attention in 2007?

In other words it's a computer in a phone form factor and computers are Apple's core business. The Apple Watch will also be a computer only in a watch form factor.

Consuming NOTHING.

Ok consume wasn't the right word. I'm just a bit worried about diversification. The large screen card has been played. Now what?
  • Reply 87 of 253
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Still doomed. Also, something something Steve Jobs.

Best post of the thread so far.

• Reply 88 of 253
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The trolls suddenly.... disappeared!

Steve woulda done 76 million / 19 billion. TC's gotta go¡

Edit: oops. Pipped.

• Reply 89 of 253
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie View Post

What I'm saying is maybe now they can pay their fair share, along with all the other huge 'American' companies that buy the gov't instead of actually paying.

I don't think that you pay your fair share! And I also believe that you should pay more!

I also think that half of your bank account (if you have one), should be donated away to charity.

• Reply 90 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowweasel View Post

iPad missed & macs only slightly beat...Apple is doomed :-)

Please don't reinforce analysts' self-aggrandizing language.  When companies' results differ from analysts forecasts, it's the latter, not the former that missed.  iPad did not miss, analysts' forecasts missed.

Amazing the number of people that lack sarcasm and humor genes.

• Reply 91 of 253
    Tax is theft. But we're stuck with it, so responsible people, private through to corporate, minimise the tax they pay whilst obeying all rules and laws. Lest we forget:

1) Apple provide gainful employment to thousands worldwide. All wages are taxed.

2) Apple sell exquisite products to willing consumers. All sales are taxed.

So on top of their corporation taxes, Apple provides plenty to governments, as well as value and worth on many other fronts. I'd say Apple are a supreme benefit to mankind, to be applauded to high-heaven. That quarter, and every dime they've *earned* are no less than they deserve. Fantastic stuff.
  • Reply 92 of 253
    Who decides what "their fair share" is ... You?

To be fair, it *is* a problem in the United States. Apple participates in some of the same offshore tax avoidance schemes that are popular among other corporations, though they're not nearly one of the biggest offenders. It seems silly to single out Apple in this, but there's definitely room to for a legitimate conversation about the subject.

Same goes for an argument regarding corporations playing a disproportionate role in politics.
  • Reply 93 of 253
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Samsung should buy Apple shares! Take That!
  • Reply 94 of 253
    $197 million profits per day!

If I earnt that a day, I might splash out on a second, or even third, whisky.

Ah well; it's good to dream.
  • Reply 95 of 253
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ok consume wasn't the right word. I'm just a bit worried about diversification. The large screen card has been played. Now what?

We'll just have to see.

However, for sure Q1 is overweight on iPhone revenue as a percentage of total company revenue because it's the first full quarter that the new iPhone model ships.

• Reply 96 of 253
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Of course they do.  Did you read my post?  They aren't doing anything illegal or different thtna anyone else.

But I guess you like your government bought and paid for instead right?

Isn't "fair share" defined by the tax laws which Apple abided? If you don't like that definition, you need to do something to change the tax laws.

• Reply 97 of 253
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

It's the Android trolls I feel sorry for.

• Reply 98 of 253
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

It's the Android trolls I feel sorry for.

Don't worry! Android Milk DUD will come out and solve all their problems! It's totally coming in 2017 and will end all fragmentation and security and lag issues forever! Please believe them!

• Reply 99 of 253
    undedunded Posts: 43member
    snowweasel wrote: »
    iPad missed & macs only slightly beat...Apple is doomed :-)

Yup! They are doomed. They can never be as profitable as this quarter. Ever! That's what the anal-yst will be saying.
  • Reply 100 of 253
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Amazing quarter. Will they ever get that yoy growth again though in that Q? Maybe in unit sales but not in revenue i think as the big screen has been tried.

That said he did say there were a lot of android switchers.