Apple's Tim Cook takes hardline stance against consumer data sharing, government snooping and terror

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Great to see Cook condemning the Muslim terrorists and standing up for privacy.

If only Obama would do the same.
    Cook mentioned terrorists and terrorism, generally speaking, as in all terrorism and all terrorists. He never mentioned only Muslim terrorists. Ever heard of the KKK. They're not exactly from the Middle East and they don't read the Koran.

Yes, we know that the liberal left media never mention the fact that it is mostly Muslims that commit terrorist atrocities, because that would upset their multicultural no-one is better than anyone else sensibilities.

I see that you're parroting the same shit.
  • Reply 22 of 122
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

He already one-upped Apple ages ago... :)

http://www.dailytech.com/Googles+Eric+Schmidt+Says+Android+is+More+Secure+Than+iPhone/article33515.htm

He was wrong. See other link on this thread. Just a few weeks ago, there was a thing about malwares in the Play store bricking millions of phones... Pretty sure that hasn't happened to Apple. There's plenty of other example if you google two seconds.

• Reply 23 of 122
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Just as Cook wants terrorists eliminated, the same should be applied to those who have or carry out abortions.

Abortion is the most horrific evil that mankind has inflicted on God's Creation. Terrorism is but a fly on an elephant in comparison.

Humans are very bad creatures. What I don't understand is why one atrocity is given more weight or importance than another?  A bad deed is a bad deed and humans have always committed them throughout their entire existence. When there have been over 100 billion humans born and died over history, who cares really? We are going to continue doing bad things in perpetuity, and there is really precious little that can be done about it.  Of course conservatives have been shown to have a congenital need to be outraged so rage on I guess.  Futile.

• Reply 24 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Uber is scary enough, but GOOGLE doing this??? I remember the DoJ going after Microsoft for Internet Explorer, a freaking web browser, in the 90's... When will they get their head's out of their asses and go after Google for being allowed to become the monopoly they are today?!

It might be commonly believed that the DOJ went after Microsoft for bundling Internet Explorer in Windows, but that's not why they did.

Microsoft used its monopoly position to threaten the OEMs; if they bundled competing browsers in new machines, they would be cut off from selling Windows. In short, Microsoft intentionally used its monopoly position to give Internet Explorer the advantage.

• Reply 25 of 122
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    slurpy wrote: »
    So whats your solution, randomly bomb massively dense areas where the terrorists are mingled with the population? Or boots on the ground? Both options are fucked up, have thousands of consequences, will cost more lies, and actually have a good chance of increasing terrorism in the long term, if history is anything to go by.

Your statement is easy to make, but also childish and intellectually lazy, because I very much doubt you have a comprehensive plan in mind that will yield better results, without massive drawbacks. Are you insinuating Obama doesn't mind terrorism? I mean, really? I WOULDN'T he be motivated to eliminate them? He wants every terrorist dead as much as you do. Thinking people understand that no matter what certain people proclaim, using cute and catchy taglines, there is no simple or obvious solution. Obviously Obama agrees with Cook with the statement he made, but somehow I doubt Cook might take the actions you would advocate if he was in Obama's place. 

Oh, and well done bringing politics into this. This interview was about privacy, but you couldn't help bringing up Obama using a lame comment. 

What a superb post. Kudos.
  • Reply 26 of 122
    Just as Cook wants terrorists eliminated, the same should be applied to those who have or carry out abortions.

Abortion is the most horrific evil that mankind has inflicted on God's Creation. Terrorism is but a fly on an elephant in comparison.

If you can get pregnant then you have a vote.
  • Reply 27 of 122
    blastdoor wrote: »
    I believe that Tim Cook is an uncommonly good man. I am very proud to own stock in the company he leads.

Totally agree.
  • Reply 28 of 122
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Yes, we know that the liberal left media never mention the fact that it is mostly Muslims that commit terrorist atrocities, because that would upset their multicultural no-one is better than anyone else sensibilities.

Please get yourself and your bigoted trash out of this fucking thread. Every sane Muslim on this planet (ie. 99.999%) sees groups like ISIS as an abomination, and terrorists who do not represent anything they stand for, just like everyone else. But no, you're angry because you want every single Muslim in the world to be hated and feared anywhere they are, and your fantasy would be for every single one of them to be shot dead, arrested, or deported. In your estimation, Cook should have called out every Muslim as evil, right? The actions of groups like ISIS stand in contradiction to everything that the VAST majority of Muslims believe, and that the religion is based on. Oh, and most of the people ISIS is killing are Muslims, if you haven't noticed. 

Enough with your "liberal media" trash and your never-ending hatred and bigotry. Maybe you can step outside whatever shithole town you reside in, and realize there's a world out there where normal people of all cultures and religions get along, so you can stop your hatred and smear campaigns against every minority group under the sun. Try maybe getting to know a single Muslim, instead of basing your views on hate.I'm a Muslim, and I despise ISIS and similar groups more than you do- I would gladly wipe them off the face of the earth if I was able. Yet, I know and have met thousands of Muslims, and have never met one that advocated violence or believed such ideologies.  I'm sick and tired of getting banned by speaking against the hate you spew, instead of you getting banned for spewing it. Enough of your generalizations and hate-speech. 

• Reply 29 of 122

The Uber vs. Google thing is a little silly to worry about from a privacy standpoint. Google hardly has to drive you somewhere to know where you are going if you utilize their services.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Tim knows that Google's entire business model relies on selling your info. 

Except that they don't sell your info. They analyze info to choose ads for you.

• Reply 30 of 122
    slurpy wrote: »
    So whats your solution, randomly bomb massively dense areas where the terrorists are mingled with the population?

Sadly, that is exactly the "solution" I've heard proposed by some 80 year olds. I have never been as proud as my Grandpa as when he rolled his eyes, shook his head and just walked away from that nonsensical debate.
  • Reply 31 of 122
    Except that they don't sell your info. They analyze info to choose ads for you.

They're monetizing data on us to generate ad revenue. That's basically "selling" us.
  • Reply 32 of 122
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

If only more intelligent, influential people would pursue an agenda of character

rather than self-interest, and speak out loudly in that vein...

• Reply 33 of 122
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Quote:

If my mother aborted me, I'd not care. Fetuses do NOT give a hoot about rights, I sure didn't learn anything about "rights" till I got older. We have NO place to decide how women make decisions with their bodies. 

?And that's people like you that are terrorizing women into submission and bearing the pain of pregnancy when they aren't ready. I mean, really, women who are alive, self-aware, and experienced while their fetuses aren't. But it doesn't matter. you enjoy making women suffer when they're not ready.  

• Reply 34 of 122
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

AI Moderators, please ban and expunge this kind of comment. whatever the merits of such a personal belief, it does not belong in this forum and has nothing to do with this topic. otherwise AI will degenerate into rantville.

• Reply 35 of 122
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    as to the topic at hand:

Right On, TC!
  • Reply 36 of 122
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Love TC's comment on this but what about this:

Apple is reportedly giving the Chinese government access to its devices for “security checks”

So really EVERY COMPANY needs to be constantly check on this
  • Reply 37 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

They're monetizing data on us to generate ad revenue. That's basically "selling" us.

"basically?"

Apple does the same thing. From the Apple privacy policy:

Disclosure to Third Parties

At times Apple may make certain personal information available to strategic partners that work with Apple to provide products and services, or that help Apple market to customers.

<SNIP>

Location-Based Services

To provide location-based services on Apple products, Apple and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device. 

• Reply 38 of 122
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Correct, but you can disable this, thought I think it should be more opt in than opt out. Apple is
    not the gold n boy in this and any one thinks they are needs to read there toS
  • Reply 39 of 122
    Quote:

Right, because the Roman Catholic Church, throughout history, never committed any terrorist atrocities against non-believers. Or how about WWI and WWII, started by Muslim right? Oh wait, they were started by white Nazi pricks. But it's a good thing there are those of who are level-headed not to condemn all whites or Christians.  How about doing your homework.

• Reply 40 of 122
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

In the mean time Western Governments are doing good Business by selling arms to Terrorist organisations and regimes that violate basic Human Rights.

How SICK can you be?: Condemn Terrorism while supplying them with weapons?!

source, the Independent: Blood Money: UK's £12,3bn arms sales to repressive states

source, the Guardian: UK condemned over arms sales to repressive states