Apple's Tim Cook takes hardline stance against consumer data sharing, government snooping and terror

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    This. ^^^

Many people don't get it. If we do not have the right to privacy, we cannot logically have the key collateral set of rights that we are entitled to, such as the first amendment, the fifth amendment, and even second amendment (which I do not happen to agree with in its current form) rights.

Cook is turning out to be someone really quite incredible. His own man. He's truly coming out, in so many ways.

Apple is in very good hands.

Evil cannot be destroyed or eliminated only transformed into Goodness
  • Reply 62 of 122
    This is a very sobering piece on ISIS, who I do not believe is merely a terrorist group -- especially after reading this. There is no logical way to claim that they are not deeply religious:

What ISIS Really Wants

"We can gather that their state rejects peace as a matter of principle; that it hungers for genocide; that its religious views make it constitutionally incapable of certain types of change, even if that change might ensure its survival; and that it considers itself a harbinger of—and headline player in—the imminent end of the world."

Want to know how to really stop these guys dead in their tracks? Raise an all-female army to fight them. If these fanatics are killed by a woman, they believe they will not receive their afterlife rewards. Once they see an all woman army, they will give up. Their beliefs are very primitive and tribalistic.
    I'm assuming your being facetious or your being incredibly dumb and simplistic in your answer.
  • Reply 63 of 122
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Cook mentioned terrorists and terrorism, generally speaking, as in all terrorism and all terrorists. He never mentioned only Muslim terrorists. Ever heard of the KKK. They're not exactly from the Middle East and they don't read the Koran.

I wasn't aware the KKK was beheading and burning people alive right now.
  • Reply 64 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by David Garon View Post

I doubt Tim Cook considers Obama his "buddy". He is so far above this man. Obama promises, Tim Cook delivers!

Economy out of the toilet, check.

Unemployment at its lowest level in 20 years, check.

Ben Laden killed, check.

Affordable Care Act, check.

Repeal of DOMA and DADT, check.

All that with an incredibly obstructive, antagonistic congress that won't even side with him when he pushes positions that line up with theirs, just out of principle. Obama has promised and delivered, and history will show him as one of the best presidents this country ever had.

• Reply 65 of 122
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    flaneur wrote: »
    I also wish he'd gone this one step further toward the root of the problem. I'm surprised, actually, to see that he said what is reported here, as I would have expected him to take a more developmental, historical view, rather than advocating outright extermination. We aren't going to get anywhere with the Benjamin Frost-cartoon view of history. (Sorry, I know how you feel about cartoons, but there are simplistic cartoons and then there are complex, illuminating ones.)

Good to know that Tim Cook appears not to follow liberal dogma 100%. Maybe if he was commander in chief right now we'd actually be winning the war against Islamic extremists like ISIS.
  • Reply 66 of 122

Economy out of the toilet, check.
    Unemployment at its lowest level in 20 years, check.
    Ben Laden killed, check.
    Affordable Care Act, check.
    Repeal of DOMA and DADT, check.

All that with an incredibly obstructive, antagonistic congress that won't even side with him when he pushes positions that line up with theirs, just out of principle. Obama has promised and delivered, and history will show him as one of the best presidents this country ever had.

Constitutional rights of Americans trampled? Check!

Presidential powers expanded far beyond what even Bush and Cheney engineered? Check!

Openly supported the passage of the ACA with misrepresentations and lies? Check, check, check!
  • Reply 67 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Anti-abortion activists who kill abortion doctors are terrorists and murder in the name of their christian religion. There is no reason why they should be treated any differently from the muslim nutcases who shoot people at malls. They're all crazy and unfit for living in a civilized society, and I agree with Tim, they must be eliminated. 

Another idiotic post from rogifan, what a surprise.

• Reply 68 of 122
  • Reply 69 of 122
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Good to know that Tim Cook appears not to follow liberal dogma 100%. Maybe if he was commander in chief right now we'd actually be winning the war against Islamic extremists like ISIS.

No, the point is that Dick and George's War on Terror is what created the opportunity and motivation for the rise of the extremists of whom you speak. If you deny that, you will be staying in character as a deluded, naive ideologue.
  • Reply 70 of 122
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    What a refreshing opinion. Now if only more people understood the erosion of privacy that is happening. Unfortunately, people are selling off chunks of privacy for free commodities. It's very disturbing.
  • Reply 71 of 122
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    It is not, nor has it ever been atheists who cause all these problems - it is solely theists (or religion in general) that cause all of these problems!
    A common desire among atheists: Be allowed to live their lives without being persecuted by religious zealots or opportunists who claim religion as an excuse.
  • Reply 72 of 122
    rogifan wrote: »
    King Abdullah II of Jordan in an interview with Fareed Zakaria GPS, being aired this Sunday morning (tomorrow) on CNN: "We are Muslims. I don't know what these people are, but they definitely do not have any relationship to our faith."

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2015/02/28/exp-gps-abdullah-sot-isis.cnn#
  • Reply 73 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

King Abdullah II of Jordan in an interview with Fareed Zakaria GPS, being aired this Sunday morning (tomorrow) on CNN: "We are Muslims. I don't know what these people are, but they definitely do not have any relationship to our faith."

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2015/02/28/exp-gps-abdullah-sot-isis.cnn#

If you read that piece in The Atlantic, it's not that simple. Honestly, if you read that, you can see how so many young middle-class Muslims around the world are easily recruited. ISIS seems to have a very simple and direct approach to their faith. To dismiss it as unrelated to Islam is missing the point.

• Reply 74 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Not every form of terrorism is "extreme" terrorism. Where do you draw the line? Not being a victim of terrorism, I assume, you have no basis to make such a claim.The Klan prefers to tie them up behind trucks and drag them to death and are thoroughly infiltrated into law enforcement departments  and other positions of almost absolute power all over the country. They terrorize people of color and non-Christians all-the-time. Right now. Whole parts of the South and pacific Northwest, in particular, but not exclusively, are Klan controlled; non-White Christians do not stand a chance. You don't hear about this in the mainstream media. Check other sources, educate yourself. You'll be startled. 

• Reply 75 of 122
    I applaud Cook on all his efforts to enhance personal freedom and diversity. However, his "extermination" comments were troubling and appeared somewhat uncharacteristic of him.

Additionally, what will happen when this comes to pass:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/27/us-china-security-idUSKBN0LV19020150227

I never thought it was such a good idea for Cook to so stridently woo the Chinese market. Now their leadership has Apple and other tech companies by the balls. How will Cook react? That is the real test. Will he pull out of this massive market or will he relent? Time will tell.
  • Reply 76 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    paul94544 wrote: »

It's perverted good to begin with.
  • Reply 77 of 122
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    paul94544 wrote: »

It's perverted good to begin with.

Here we go again…
  • Reply 78 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

If you read that piece in The Atlantic, it's not that simple. Honestly, if you read that, you can see how so many young middle-class Muslims around the world are easily recruited. ISIS seems to have a very simple and direct approach to their faith. To dismiss it as unrelated to Islam is missing the point.

There's a difference between what ISIS is in practice and the propaganda it feeds to impressionable young people about what it says it is. As to what ISIS is described as being operationally, I'm inclined to give more credence to the experience of an Arab Muslim king who is walking the walk to defend his Middle East country, rather than a Canadian freelance journalist who apparently is not Muslim himself, speaks limited Arabic and does most of his information gathering some 5,000 miles from the heart of the conflict.

• Reply 79 of 122
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Uber is scary enough, but GOOGLE doing this??? I remember the DoJ going after Microsoft for Internet Explorer, a freaking web browser, in the 90's... When will they get their head's out of their asses and go after Google for being allowed to become the monopoly they are today?!

The Microsoft/IE issue involved bundling their web browser (IE) on Windows systems and using their power to prevent OEM's from bundling any other browser on their systems. IE was a terrible browser at the time and Netscape was king. Bill Gates was a master at killing competition and Netscape was forced to take a backseat and lost too much money. Bill also did similar things to Windows versions of VisiCalc and WordPerfect by not releasing some key Windows API's for their development.

• Reply 80 of 122
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member

I'm reading a lot of praise here for Tim Cook. How many of you were calling for his removal not so long ago calling him "not Steve Jobs".

I believed in Tim all along. He was hand picked by Jobs. He's smart, talented, and has turned Apple into the most valuable company in the world. He believes in using Apple standards and best of all that market share doesn't equal profitability.