Apple Watch battery life reportedly 'much better' than anticipated thanks to power saving features

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2015
The Apple Watch's battery life should be significantly better in the shipping product than some early accounts suggested, one report says, while the device itself could fundamentally change the way users interact with their iPhones.

Citing several people who have spent "extended time" with the product, TechCrunch reports that Apple has been working on improving longevity, such that during a normal day of periodic use, the Watch should still have roughly 25 percent of its power left.

This means that while people will still have to charge the device overnight, they should be able to make it through a full day on a single charge. Sources also said it takes about two hours to fully recharge a depleted device.

Apple has repeatedly stated that Apple Watch will last about a day, but as recently as January some rumors implied the company was struggling to get battery life to acceptable levels. To that end, the company has reportedly implemented a stopgap measure called Power Reserve, which cuts power to all non-essential functions in order to squeeze out more life.

Commenting on a related topic, TechCrunch sources note that receiving notifications on the Watch requires the product to be both locked and strapped to a wrist. Although this behavior blocks alerts some users may want, it also reduces power consumption and unwanted annoyances. Along those lines, notifications will stop entirely once the battery is below 10 percent.

The testers additionally remark that the Watch's touchscreen is sharp, sensitive and precise, making it relatively easy to control apps with small interfaces. To supplement this Apple has reportedly refined the digital crown, not only syncing it with on-screen scroll speeds but deliberately increasing friction. Pressing and holding the crown launches Siri for dictation, a necessity since the UI does not include a keyboard.

The people note that the net impact of using the Watch has been using their iPhone far less. This is because they can act on many tasks and notifications immediately without their phone; one person tells TechCrunch that they almost stopped using their phone during the day.

Apple is due to reveal final details of Apple Watch during a press event on Monday. AppleInsider will be covering the event live.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 97
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    "...one person tells TechCrunch that they almost stopped using their phone during the day..."

Ok, this could extend the battery life of the iPhone since it's acting as source/sync over bluetooth for the watch. At least the comment said 'almost' stopped using.
  • Reply 2 of 97
    The world's iPhone battery life complaints solved! ;)

Android users get to hug the walls still.
  • Reply 3 of 97
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    The world's iPhone battery life complaints solved! ;)

Only those with Nexus or, soon to be released, Galaxy S6 series devices. All the others get to play a shell game with their batteries so they can keep them all charged using only their phone as the charging station.
  • Reply 4 of 97
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Too bad Jony Ive apparently isn't concerned with how little battery life your Apple products gets:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/06/jony-ive-iphone-battery/

He may have brilliant industrial design sensibilities, but get a load of those bright red socks.

• Reply 5 of 97
    Quote:

Sources also said it takes about two hours to fully recharge a depleted device.... receiving notifications on the Watch requires the product to be both locked and strapped to a wrist.

So while your watch is charging at the office, or on your bedside table, no notifications. An no notifications, until you re-authenticate it with your iPhone, so no grabbing it off the charger as you rush to a meeting.  

• Reply 6 of 97
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

So while your watch is charging at the office, or on your bedside table, no notifications. An no notifications, until you re-authenticate it with your iPhone, so no grabbing it off the charger as you rush to a meeting.  

Where did you read "re-authorize"? It simply says it will only receives notifications when you wear it. So yes, you can grab it off the charger as you rush to a meeting.

• Reply 7 of 97
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

If it gets people to look at their phones less often, then that can only be a good thing!

The amount of people that have their heads buried in their phones nowadays is out of control! I don't care if it's an iPhone or an Android piece of crap, or whatever.

Just the other day some fool bumped into me on the sidewalk, because they were walking with their ignorant head down, looking at their phone and trying to type something, totally unaware of their surroundings and where they were walking. It's a damn shame that their phone didn't drop to the ground and shatter into a million pieces, because they definitely would have deserved it for infringing upon my personal walking space.

I think that the Apple watch looks pretty cool, but I'm still not sold on it, as I haven't seen one in person and I don't know all that it can do yet. Come monday, I'm guessing that a lot of those questions will have been answered.

• Reply 8 of 97
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The world's iPhone battery life complaints solved! image

Now we will have Watch battery complaints :p

• Reply 9 of 97
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Ten hours plus doesn't meet very many people's definition of "little". So I wouldn't be "concerned" were I him either. :D

Currently at 2 hours 37 minutes, 86% remaining charge, standby 8 hours, 13 minutes. Being at a paying job will do that.

The socks might help explain the 5C eh?

Battery life, like most everything else in consumer products will always dissatisfy some fraction of potential users.
  • Reply 10 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Where did you read "re-authorize"? It simply says it will only receives notifications when you wear it. So yes, you can grab it off the charger as you rush to a meeting.

And given it's an iPhone accessory: in any interim you got the notifications off your phone right? Like where I get mine now.

• Reply 11 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If it gets people to look at their phones less often, then that can only be a good thing!

The amount of people that have their heads buried in their phones nowadays is out of control! I don't care if it's an iPhone or an Android piece of crap, or whatever.

Just the other day some fool bumped into me on the sidewalk, because they were walking with their ignorant head down, looking at their phone and trying to type something, totally unaware of their surroundings and where they were walking. It's a damn shame that their phone didn't drop to the ground and shatter into a million pieces, because they definitely would have deserved it for infringing upon my personal walking space.

I think that the Apple watch looks pretty cool, but I'm still not sold on it, as I haven't seen one in person and I don't know all that it can do yet. Come monday, I'm guessing that a lot of those questions will have been answered.

OTOH I am no longer disturbed when I encounter people walking down the street seemingly holding a conversation with empty air.

I just assume they're talking on a cellphone, BT earpiece or whatever.  Though just to be extra safe I still don't make eye contact...

#Justbecausethey'rewearingasuitdoesn'tmeantheyaren'tviolentlycrazy

• Reply 12 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Well, ?Pay will no longer function once the watch is taken off your wrist without re-authentication. Now while it's possible that feature can be disabled for notifications, do you really want just anybody to be able to receive your private notifications remotely just by strapping it onto their wrist?

Unless there's a built-in DNA reader, if the watch doesn't lock out the iPhone when removed from the wrist, then anyone can put it on and access all your data without some kind of "touch-ID" passcode re-authentication. We'll have to wait until Monday to see how cumbersome that may or may not be.

• Reply 13 of 97
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

OTOH I am no longer disturbed when I encounter people walking down the street seemingly holding a conversation with empty air.

I just assume they're talking on a cellphone, BT earpiece or whatever.  Though just to be extra safe I still don't make eye contact...

#Justbecausethey'rewearingasuitdoesn'tmeantheyaren'tviolentlycrazy

#AmICrazyOrJustOnThePhone

• Reply 14 of 97
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mac_128 wrote: »

Why wouldn't you have your phone with you on the way to that big important meeting?
  • Reply 15 of 97
    mac_128 wrote: »

Well, ?Pay will no longer function once the watch is taken off your wrist without re-authentication. Now while it's possible that feature can be disabled for notifications, do you really want just anybody to be able to receive your private notifications remotely just by strapping it onto their wrist?

Unless there's a built-in DNA reader, if the watch doesn't lock out the iPhone when removed from the wrist, then anyone can put it on and access all your data without some kind of "touch-ID" passcode re-authentication. We'll have to wait until Monday to see how cumbersome that may or may not be.

What nonsense. Re Authenticating the watch's Apple pay with the phone is probably done at your next attempt to use it. Otherwise ive seen nothing to indicate users need to re authenticate the watch every time. It's likelely a seemless process done over BT.
  • Reply 16 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

What nonsense. Re Authenticating the watch's Apple pay with the phone is probably done at your next attempt to use it. Otherwise there's no need to authenticate the watch.

I imagine it will "re-authenticate" when there is continuous skin contact and then an unlock with Touch ID on the iPhone.  There almost certainly won't be a cumbersome trawl through settings menus to couple the watch and phone after the initial pairing - the ecosystem makes sure of that.

• Reply 17 of 97
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

I imagine it will "re-authenticate" when there is continuous skin contact and then an unlock with Touch ID on the iPhone.  There almost certainly won't be a cumbersome trawl through settings menus to couple the watch and phone after the initial pairing - the ecosystem makes sure of that.

Based on the available data re-authenticating will happen by inputting a 4-digit PIN into ?Watch. We're only talking about a moment to input and will done just once per day for most people.
  • Reply 18 of 97
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

The grocery store is the worst. You are standing in the produce section and someone behind you says "Should I get the red onions or the yellow onions?" You turn around thinking, are you talking to me? It is hard not to, because if they are talking to you, perhaps you should recommend the white onions.

• Reply 19 of 97
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Knock off your trolling.  You are making statements about products that haven't even been introduced yet with ZERO facts to back it up.  What you're doing is GUESSING.  

Go troll elsewhere.

• Reply 20 of 97

Exactly. mac_128 is just trying to spread FUD.