Apple's Eddy Cue explains Apple Pay on Apple Watch at NBA game [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 156
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    That would be a real security hole if authentication happens automatically when you put on the watch. Then anyone could steal your watch and phone while on the charger, and use it without knowing your code, or having your fingerprints.

What is with you and leaving your expensive electronics unattended on a charger where people can easily just walk away with them? That's just stupid, and if you do it you deserve what you get.

Anyway, read the article. Cue said you can shut off automatic authentication and always require a pin.
  • Reply 42 of 156
    solipsismy wrote: »
    While he does clearly take every opportunity to disparage Apple I believe Apple would be remiss to force ?Pay to only be usable when an iPhone is connected.

Think of this way. Apple has included on-board storage, BT, and SW to allow for you to play music from ?Watch. Convenient and useful for a jog or visit to the gym, right?

Now what if I told you while it all happens via ?Watch you still need to have your iPhone tethered via BT for that to work? Would you then reply with, "There's plenty of arm and leg straps for the phone. Hardly a concern." your point about straps is still correct, is it not?

That's essentially what Cue may have indicated by his comments yesterday. I hope he didn't he didn't state all the ways in which ?Pay can be used.

It makes sense that you will be able to use only the attached and authentices ?Watch for paynents, even if there is an additional authentication step for each payment while your iPhone is not tethered.

Cue was clearly talking about his particular situation (having his phone in his pocket); I don't think you can logically make any conclusions about any other use case.
  • Reply 43 of 156
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    iaeen wrote: »
    Cue was clearly talking about his particular situation (having his phone in his pocket); I don't think you can logically make any conclusions about any other use case.

You're correct that we still don't have enough info to make an absolute statement, but I would bet that based on the info he did give that my desire is not the most like path it will take at launch, which is why I already conceded to [@]Dick Applebaum[/@]. I think the odds are now very much against me, despite my strong desire that you don't have to have ?Watch tethered to an iPhone despite everything being stored on ?Watch.
  • Reply 44 of 156
    solipsismy wrote: »
    You're correct that we still don't have enough info to make an absolute statement, but I would bet that based on the info he did give that my desire is not the most like path it will take at launch, which is why I already conceded to [@]Dick Applebaum[/@]. I think the odds are now very much against me, despite my strong desire that you don't have to have ?Watch tethered to an iPhone despite everything being stored on ?Watch.

I don't think so. He said the watch has to be unlocked, and he said that the iPhone can unlock the watch. He didn't say that it was the only way to unlock the watch.

Even if it is, I would still expect that you could unlock the watch, leave your iPhone behind, and continue to make purchases while out on your run. Note: he also said that if he took the watch off and handed it to you, it would know.

I also agree that if it doesn't work without the iPhone, it would be extremely disappointing.

Here's how I think it's going to work based on his comments: when the watch is off your wrist, it is locked just like the iPhone, so you need to unlock it to do basically anything. When you strap it on, you unlock it (with your iPhone or possibly by an alternative, more cumbersome method). Once it is unlocked, it has full functionality (with an optional extra passcode for ApplePay), and when you take it off it locks back up again.
  • Reply 45 of 156
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Yes. This was described when the watch was announced. The watch requires an iPhone for almost everything.

no, you don't know that. Nobody knows that yet

• Reply 46 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

60 million in the first year?

We'll see. I predict less than 10 million, making it a failure.

Unfortunately, Tim Cook has already said that he's not going to release sales figures, so we can presume it will sell poorly. Steve Jobs would have released figures.

Anybody who says Steve Jobs would have… Has just lost his argument

• Reply 47 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Slurpy, it would be great if you could respond without attacking the person behind the comments. When I read your comment, I actually think less of you than the person you are responding to, and that's a shame.

Stick around for a while and you'll get pretty tired of the regular trolls as well, more so in fact

• Reply 48 of 156
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm going to guess an elderly person whose hands shake probably won't be buying an ?Watch. Who knows if they even use an iPhone.
    My mom is 84. She has an iPhone and an iPad. I'm thinking of getting her an ?Watch so she doesn't have to take her phone out of her pockets. But not sure yet because of the recharge requirements -- if she forgets to charge it, or put it on, then what good does it do her. And Her hands shake.

So do people with Parkinson's. I bet Michael J Fox has an iPhone too.

[VIDEO]

Kidding aside -- I think an Apple Watch app could detect a long/hard press and send an alert to whomever ...

Even better, an app could periodically monitor the pulse rate and automatically send the alert when an aberition is detected.
  • Reply 49 of 156
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    coolfactor wrote: »
    Slurpy, it would be great if you could respond without attacking the person behind the comments. When I read your comment, I actually think less of you than the person you are responding to, and that's a shame.

Hey, lay off of Slurpy. About the only antidote we get here to B. Frost's bilious poison is Slurpy giving him what for.

You'll notice that he does not call him any names, but merely tells the truth about Frost's polluting of this forum. We have had no worse a troll in the five years i've been around here, and no better, more bracing tongue-lasher than Slurpy. I say you ought to put away your wet noodle.
  • Reply 50 of 156
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

And there are no pictures of him wearing the watch?

Then it didn't happen.  ;-)

• Reply 51 of 156
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    [VIDEO]

Kidding aside -- I think an Apple Watch app could detect a long/hard press and send an alert to whomever ...

Even better, an app could periodically monitor the pulse rate and automatically send the alert when an aberition is detected.

I suspect that as well. Apple is pretty good about accessibility on their devices. I was mainly objecting to the stereotypes invoked here.

Kidding aside, that's exactly why I want to give my mom an ?Watch, so she would have the security of a device on her that could summon help if she fell, disguised as all the other stuff the watch can do.

But we'll have to see about that battery life and how often it will be off her wrist.
  • Reply 52 of 156
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Stick around for a while and you'll get pretty tired of the regular trolls as well, more so in fact

I guess I was just sensitive since I was personally attacked in this forum just the other day. The internet could be a fun, happy place if there were no humans on this Earth to ruin it. :P

• Reply 53 of 156
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    felix01 wrote: »
    And there are no pictures of him wearing the watch?

Then it didn't happen.  ;-)

Mmm ... It's called the Apple Watch -- not the Apple Wrist Watch ...

from that I infer the Watch can be worn on other than the wrist ...

Might make Apple Pay difficult -- but the tradeoff could be some interesting taptic notifications  :D
  • Reply 54 of 156
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

I guess I was just sensitive since I was personally attacked in this forum just the other day. The internet could be a fun, happy place if there were no humans on this Earth to ruin it. :P

Sorry to hear of the personal attack, and I just got a bit brusque with you above, apologies.
  • Reply 55 of 156
    iaeen wrote: »
    I don't think so. He said the watch has to be unlocked, and he said that the iPhone can unlock the watch. He didn't say that it was the only way to unlock the watch.

Even if it is, I would still expect that you could unlock the watch, leave your iPhone behind, and continue to make purchases while out on your run. Note: he also said that if he took the watch off and handed it to you, it would know.

I also agree that if it doesn't work without the iPhone, it would be extremely disappointing.

Here's how I think it's going to work based on his comments: when the watch is off your wrist, it is locked just like the iPhone, so you need to unlock it to do basically anything. When you strap it on, you unlock it (with your iPhone or possibly by an alternative, more cumbersome method). Once it is unlocked, it has full functionality (with an optional extra passcode for ApplePay), and when you take it off it locks back up again.

That's how I would think it would work best.
  • Reply 56 of 156

I just read the comments in that other thread. I can see how you think you were personally attacked and I can see how the people who responded to you read your comments about Tim Cook not responding to your email and your gut feeling about Apple's change in direction being the common doom-and-gloom we've heard about Apple for most of its existence, especially after Steve Jobs' death*.

If I had participated in that thread my initial comment to you may have also seems like I was attacking you about this apparent downward spiral under Cook because the iWork apps were being minimized somewhat to create a more universal foundation.

I think if you worded your comment a little differently it would have come across in a different way that didn't sound like it was mirroring the typical troll talking points. Note: In no way am I saying you're a troll, but remember that trolls often try to give the illusion of their doom-and-gloom scenarios being reasonable comments, so I hope you can see how the gut reactions others had to your comments may have misinterpreted you... just as I believe your gut reaction is misinterpreting Apple. :D

PS: This feature you need from Pages, why can't you simply use that version of the app?

* That never would have happened i Steve Jobs were still alive. #Truth
  • Reply 57 of 156
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

This sounds worse than using the iPhone.

Having to do a double press of buttons on the Apple Watch sounds very fiddly indeed. For the old, who tend to shake, even more so. Much easier to simply rest your thumb on the Home button of the iPhone.

I'm surprised at this and will reserve complete judgment until I've tried it in an Apple Store.

My hands shake, have since I was a kid, I imagine it will be worse when I'm 85.

It isn't an issue: Thumb on the opposite side of the watch, index finger taps the button twice.

Beats the tar out of hauling the iPhone out of your pocket (and in winter up here in snow country, that might be a couple three layers in) to put your thumb on the home button. Then putting it back again...

It's the sort of thing that pilots, for example, do all the time in rough air when they're changing frequencies, either by turning dials or punching buttons. Touch a finger on the panel near the control to be changed and your hand is greatly stabilized and off you go.

• Reply 58 of 156
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Waiting for the iRing. Then the iImplant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Except I clearly recall somebody from Apple saying at the announcement last year that you could leave your phone at home and still make payments with ?Pay on the watch. But Eddy Cue seems to be saying now the phone has to be nearby. Hopefully this will be cleared up on Monday.

And why would you leave your phone at home?

• Reply 59 of 156
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Some characters should be admonished by the moderators around here. He's good for attacking people for what they say. There is plenty of uncivil behavior by others as well. Macrumors seems to have a more diverse, polite, and open-minded community. Here you either drink the cool-aid or get slapped around. I'm sure a lot of people are turned off to the narrominded dialogue and personal attacks that happen here.

It's a Lord of the Flies atmosphere here that I don't feel existed before, at least to the degree it does now. 

Remember: "An open mind lets in flies."

• Reply 60 of 156
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,101member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

You tend to shake, huh? Pity.

Bibi Frost has lots of issues.