Apple Watch Edition to start at $10,000, availability will be limited

Comments

• Reply 41 of 255
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jkichline wrote: »

I think if you look at other 18k watches on the market, it's actually quite reasonable. Take a look at a Rolex. You can't get a gold rolex for less than $15,000. Just saying.

Which one will still be ticking in 40 years? Just sayin'
  • Reply 42 of 255

17k for top edition...

• Reply 43 of 255
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Good luck with that. People who buy Rolexes are probably not the same people interested in spending a premium on a smart watch that looks no different than any other. There's a big difference between these two watches and why people will buy them.

The ?Watch WILL outsell Rolex. Quit saying the ?Watch looks like other smart watches. It doesn't at all. Everything else is junk.

• Reply 44 of 255

17k for top gold edition...

• Reply 45 of 255
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Just sayin' no ?Watch owner will want to keep this first edition for 40 years. They'll happily pay for each new edition. Do the math.

• Reply 46 of 255
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Uh, hello? Apple has ALWAYS been a luxury brand in the tech world, where the hell have you been for the last 12+ years? The ?WATCH EDITION is clearly targeted at refined buyers who would normally consider a Rolex-class watch.

Don't like it, get the SPORT or steel one, and quit your trolling.

Please go read what a luxury means. MacBooks and iPhones are definitely not that, just a premium tech product and that's why we love them... Hi end luxury market is what Apple is going for. But they are mad. It's not mass consumer market and people are different. Those guys won't stop buying Rolex...

I will try the sport edition, but I will wait because it'll probably die in mountain environment just like normal phones do... So I'll probably just stick with my Suunto. And I want my watch to be working without recharging it every night. I need watch on the move, in the wilderness not in my living room.

• Reply 47 of 255
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jume View Post

Yes they are mad and no I am not jealous. I could actually afford one but I won't since it's completely unnecessary and shows everything that's wrong with our society today. It's a bad image for Apple in my opinion to go for the luxurious market. Last time I checked Apple was a consumer company not a luxurious brand like Rolex, Rolls Royce and so on... 

$349 is hardly the "luxurious market', that they're offering a wide device choice isn't an unreasonable decision as wearables inevitably will, for some people, drift into the fashion/decorative category. So Apple offers something for them as well as people with a different purchase choice list.

Oh and btw? My purchase of a Rolex a long time ago was centered on function not "luxury", it was a great (and still is) reliable dive watch.

• Reply 48 of 255
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Told you guys.

I'm LOLOLOLLOL at all the people who though this would be $2k.  No way in hell.

Respect man, you're now worthy of titling yourself "sog35, the famed analyst with a spotless track record"

• Reply 49 of 255
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

If I owned one, I couldn't care less what others thought of it.

If you couldn't care less what others think, then you probably wouldn't be the type to buy one of these in the first place.

• Reply 50 of 255
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    danielsw wrote: »

Just sayin' no ?Watch owner will want to keep this first edition for 40 years. They'll happily pay for each new edition. Do the math.

Which drops the number willing to do so considerably. A gold Rolex is an investment, the Watch is not.
  • Reply 51 of 255
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    1983 wrote: »
    Price starting at 10 grand! J...s! That's crazy absurd! I thought they would start at half that.

Either way most people can't afford it so it's not for them.
    brucemc wrote: »

For sure.  If they sell a few 10's of thousands I would consider that a resounding success.

True that although I bet some analysts will be disappointed.
  • Reply 52 of 255
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

A watch with that price is an investment. In a typical 10000 USD watch, you buy the hours someone spent to create the (hand-made) mechanics.

Here: no mechanical parts, bound to wear out, or to be out fashioned. If it's built like some say at 200.000 pieces, then how limited is that watch?

Not saying it won't sell, there are idiots everywhere, but I'm not sure these people will have spent their 10.000 USD wisely.

BTW: for arguments sake, how much gold is in it that it commands that kind of price?

Buy 10000$ in Apple stock. Wait a few more years :p

• Reply 53 of 255
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    jume wrote: »
    Please go read what a luxury means. MacBooks and iPhones are definitely not that, just a premium tech product and that's why we love them... Hi end luxury market is what Apple is going for. But they are mad. It's not mass consumer market and people are different. Those guys won't stop buying Rolex...

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">I will try the sport edition, but I will wait because it'll probably die in mountain environment just like normal phones do... So I'll probably just stick with my Suunto. And I want my watch to be working without recharging it every night. I need watch on the move, in the wilderness not in my living room.</span>
    Just because that's your view of watches, doesn't mean that's what everyone else will see, get off your "mountain" and view the world with a broader canvas. You say people who buy Rolex's won't buy this? I say LOL! There will be PLENTY of people who will buy one instead of Rolex. Not all, because nothing can replace the timelessness of a Rolex, but I guarantee MANY will, and they will opt for the Edition, because they want something that will feel and look like a premium "statement" on their wrist.
  • Reply 54 of 255
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

A watch with that price is an investment. In a typical 10000 USD watch, you buy the hours someone spent to create the (hand-made) mechanics.

Here: no mechanical parts, bound to wear out, or to be out fashioned. If it's built like some say at 200.000 pieces, then how limited is that watch?

Not saying it won't sell, there are idiots everywhere, but I'm not sure these people will have spent their 10.000 USD wisely.

BTW: for arguments sake, how much gold is in it that it commands that kind of price?

You people sound like a flock of buzzards squabbling over pieces of carrion, totally oblivious to the life that once was, totally oblivious to the higher qualities of life: beauty, quality of life, etc.

These new products will change our lives for the better, which will be the basis for even more prosperity for Apple and its customers.

• Reply 55 of 255
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Both. The Apple Watch will have its battery replaced, and the rolex will go through enough services to effectively double the purchase price.

• Reply 56 of 255
    jume wrote: »
    Yes they are mad and no I am not jealous. I could actually afford one but I won't since it's completely unnecessary and shows everything that's wrong with our society today. It's a bad image for Apple in my opinion to go for the luxurious market. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Last time I checked Apple was a consumer company not a luxurious brand like Rolex, Rolls Royce and so on... </span>

I'm glad they could defy your reductionist attempt to categorize them. The Edition is jewelry. It's that simple.
  • Reply 57 of 255

Looks like the highest-priced watch is $17000 for the 38mm rose or yellow gold with modern buckle. Interestingly enough, the most expensive 42mm watch is $15000.

• Reply 58 of 255
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Any mention of being able to update the internals?
    I really think some kind of upgrade program should be included on a $10,000 electronic device. I love Apple but $10,000 is absurd especially if it doesn't include some upgrade program.
  • Reply 59 of 255
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Good luck with that. People who buy Rolexes are probably not the same people interested in spending a premium on a smart watch that looks no different than any other. There's a big difference between these two watches and why people will buy them.

Well I'm interested, and not because my version of the one on the right (Submariner date, stainless) has broken down and repairs will cost pushing a thousand dollars if nothing serious is wrong either. But because they do entirely different things.

• Reply 60 of 255
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    danielsw wrote: »

They're not mad. You're simply jealous. They'll sell like hotcakes. $10K is nothing for those who want the best.

I think they'll sell a ton of them in China.