Launch day Apple Watch orders estimated at 1M in US, skews toward Sport model

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137
    Boy I see a lot of toilet flushing going in. The question I have is why are people still responding to this troll? I'd like to put that pathetic loser in his place, but I don't speak toilet, so I had to simply block him. I suggest the same. Nothing pusses off a troll more than to see their comments go unnoticed.
  • Reply 62 of 137
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    These guys are estimating 2.5 million ?Watch or more pre-orders

http://m.barrons.com/articles/BL-TB-47294
  • Reply 63 of 137
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It warms my heart to see the faux tech gods here and elsewhere scratching their heads with looks of incredulity on their faces. Can you finally wake up and realize that you are not the arbiters of what is acceptable in electronic consumer products? Why can’t watches become common and fashionable again? Why can’t smart watches be the next big thing? 

The point it that the ?Watch is NOTJUST A DAMN WATCH. That's a term of convenience and familiarity. It's a wearable computing device. It's a new form factor for such. 

The ?Watch IS the next big thing, because it's already changed the lives of the few who've had the opportunity to live with it. Once developers have had a chance to write apps for it, it'll be even more of a big thing.

The competition already missed the boat when they jerked off all of their junk gimmicks, trying to get them out before Apple. Even TAG Heuer  obviously missed the concept when they first assumed it was a watch and then concluded that they'd logically do a better job with theirs because they know watches. Who knows what Google is thinking if they think they can outdo Apple at its new disruptive game, but that collaboration is bound to flop without anything comparable to Apple's design efforts based on its already established juggernaut of an ecosystem.

• Reply 64 of 137
    cnocbui wrote: »

No.  I have no horse in this race so there is no pain involved.  I think ?Watch sales will be way in excess of any competition.  I would agree with the doubts over Samsung's numbers.  Claiming that sales of smart watches in 2014 were less than a million was far less credible than Samsung's numbers, though.

I literally don't care how high or low smart watch sales prove to be.  They are not for me, but good luck to anyone who can find a use for one.

You literally don't care yet you quickly posted the 800,000 number then started backtracking when people called you out.

What makes the 800,000 shipped number really bad is Samsung provided the number after a South Korea newspaper stated a 50,000 sold number. Samsung did not disagree with the sold number, it tried to focus attention on the shipped number.
  • Reply 65 of 137
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Actually I don't think estimates from some firm most of us have never heard of will equal sales. This firm wants attention and name recognition so they put out a press release on their analysis. I'd still love to know who would let a firm like this track their emails.
    I agree with you. While I'm certain Apple took an impressive amount of preorders, those won't all translate to sales, though I've no doubt those will be impressive too.

The issue of people double ordering watches to make sure they get the correct size on April 24th is a real wild card for me. While many here think this is a minor issue, I'm not so sure after discovering a thread dedicated to this practice on MacRumors, and numerous references around the web.

But the fact there are over 1200 listings for watches on eBay definitely suggests impressive sales, depending on what percentage of scalpers one assumes. Then again, those buyers who pre-ordered two, at this point would be well advised not to cancel them and re-sell them on eBay, so there's probably some of that.
  • Reply 66 of 137
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,872moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Thought people here might be interested in this:

http://fashionista.com/2015/04/apple-watch-editorial-styling

Oh, and I ordered a regular Sport 38mm (it seems best -- but I guess we'll see), with a White Band, and then ordered an additional Milanese band.  I guess I will get my Milanese band on target date, but the watch itself won't arrive until June sometime. 

PS: This is all my fault.  I'm the one who waited hours to make an order.  As I was actually up at the time, there's no reason why I won't be getting my watch on target date, other than my own lameness.

You should know that the Milanese band will likely not look good against the brushed aluminum sport watch.  Just the loops at the ends of the band, that the band slides through, as polished steel immediately adjacent the to duller finish of the aluminum, will look 'wrong.' 

• Reply 67 of 137
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,872moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Why go for the black sports band when you could pick this little beauty (band only) for a mere $450 USD?

What a bargain!

????

I actually like the sport bands more than that one. The leather bands, however...

• Reply 68 of 137
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I agree with you. While I'm certain Apple took an impressive amount of preorders, those won't all translate to sales, though I've no doubt those will be impressive too.

The issue of people double ordering watches to make sure they get the correct size on April 24th is a real wild card for me. While many here think this is a minor issue, I'm not so sure after discovering a thread dedicated to this practice on MacRumors, and numerous references around the web.

But the fact there are over 1200 listings for watches on eBay definitely suggests impressive sales, depending on what percentage of scalpers one assumes. Then again, those buyers who pre-ordered two, at this point would be well advised not to cancel them and re-sell them on eBay, so there's probably some of that.

Well it has to be understood that these are just pre-sales, pre-order estimates not actual sale numbers. And Apple did give a 2 week pre-order/preview time period for people to see the watch, as far as I know apple usually does one week of pre-orders. My though is that they foresaw that some people weren't going to be sure of their first pre-order and have them extra time to adjust their order. Any way I look at it, I only see sale numbers increase as more and more people get to experience the ?Watch. And there are those who will be trying to get it day one. To me this is already a big hit for apple. Call me an optimist, but that's how I see it.
  • Reply 69 of 137
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I literally don't care how high or low smart watch sales prove to be.  They are not for me, but good luck to anyone who can find a use for one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So why the hell are you commenting on a thread about the Watch?

The only explanation is that you are trolling.

They lost the argument so resort to distancing themselves from the issue by "I literally don't care..." and "They are not for me,..."

• Reply 70 of 137
    rogifan wrote: »
    This was the first thing CNBC mentioned this morning. I can't believe a number like this is being treated as credible. Whose even heard of this tracking firm? And who would let a firm like this track their emails?

Where did Slice get its data? From consumers sufficiently enthusiastic about shopping to download their app and sign up for their free service. Here’s their pitch:

Slice keeps track of what you buy, effortlessly. The secret to the sauce is your email inbox. Just add the email account(s) where you send your merchant notifications, and we’ll do the work from there. Slice processes shopping-related emails (such as order confirmations, shipping notifications, and e-receipts from in-store purchases) to help you easily keep track of your stuff.

http://fortune.com/2015/04/13/how-many-apple-watches-were-sold-worldwide-on-friday/
  • Reply 71 of 137
    shardshard Posts: 96member

A few things to note:

1. Apple is not going to start selling something they have been pushing as hard as the Apple Watch unless they have a significant amount of inventory to make it noteworthy. They will just be shooting themselves in the foot otherwise.

2. Tim Cook is king of the supply chain and he has planned for a significant number of Apple Watches to go on sale in all the launch countries.

3. China maybe a bigger market than the US when it comes to new Apple products, Apple knows this and will have allocated at least the same number as the US if not more to China and Hong Kong. It is also logistically alot easier to deliver to China and Hong Kong.

4. These are preorders. Apple would have held back maybe half their inventory to be sold on launch day at brick and mortar stores.

5. The list of launch countries is relatively small compared to the iPhone and iPad.

• Reply 72 of 137
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So why the hell are you commenting on a thread about the Watch?

The only explanation is that you are trolling.

Ferrari forgot to invite me to purchase a Ferrari La Ferrari - that doesn't mean I am not interested in one as a topic of interest.  I am extremely unlikely to buy a Samsung S6 or an iPhone 6, that doesn't mean I don't pay attention to what they are and can do.  Your notion that someone should not comment on something unless they intend to buy it is quite stupid.

• Reply 73 of 137
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

They sold out, any cancellations because of "double ordering" will be taken up in a blink.

• Reply 74 of 137
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Ferrari forgot to invite me to purchase a Ferrari La Ferrari - that doesn't mean I am not interested in one as a topic of interest.  I am extremely unlikely to buy a Samsung S6 or an iPhone 6, that doesn't mean I don't pay attention to what they are and can do.  Your notion that someone should not comment on something unless they intend to buy it is quite stupid.

Pretty much every single one of your comments on this site is actively hating on Apple or an Apple product. So yes, you're a troll. There is no variety, insight, or intellectual honesty in any of your posts. When someone's "opinion" is always consistent with an agenda of hate, that person is a troll, because you fit the facts to your desired view, not the other way around. You "couldn't care less" about the Apple Watch, yet jump into every thread with something negative to say, over and over. Stop lying to yourself and everyone else. People aren't stupid, they see you for what you are. 

• Reply 75 of 137
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    shard wrote: »
    A few things to note:

4. These are preorders. Apple would have held back maybe half their inventory to be sold on launch day at brick and mortar stores.
    You make a lot of claims, which may or may not be accurate. However, the official word seems to be there will be no sales directly from brick and mortar stores on launch day. Apple has said online orders only during the initial launch for an unspecified period of time. They seemingly do not want lines on launch day. Even many preorders are refusing to allow pickup at the store. Based on this real info, combined with the pushed ship dates on preorders, I'd say that it will be a while before someone can just walk in off the street and walk out with any ?Watch.

The one place I'm not sure this applies however are the select boutiques with which Apple has partnered. There is a strong indication from Apples own statements that those select merchants will have some stock on hand. If someone lived near one of those merchants, and had not pre-ordered yet, it might be well worth the time to stop by as soon as they open their doors on the 24th. Now that would be funny ... No lines at Apple stores, but huge crowds around conservative jewelry stores which most people never set foot in.
  • Reply 76 of 137
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If you'll recall I predict the Sport watch sells 5 million for its first full quarter.

Well Apple at some point said they expected to sell 5 million a quarter, which means 20 million in a year.  1 Million in a day blows everyone else combined all of last year.    5 Million would be a far and away clear winner in the Smart Watch market by a mile.  at 20 million, everyone else just becomes a joke.

• Reply 77 of 137
    You literally don't care yet you quickly posted the 800,000 number then started backtracking when people called you out.

Contrarians must post "but but but Samsung" if the article is positive about Apple in any way.
  • Reply 78 of 137
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

Well Apple at some point said they expected to sell 5 million a quarter, which means 20 million in a year.  1 Million in a day blows everyone else combined all of last year.    5 Million would be a far and away clear winner in the Smart Watch market by a mile.  at 20 million, everyone else just becomes a joke.

I don't believe Apple has ever stated any kind of expected sales numbers for any period.  Please provide a link for that.  The only sales forecasts have come from analysts who don't know their butt from a hole in the ground, or are just looking to manipulate the stock price for their own gain.  It has been proven time and time again that the analysts are just full of BS.

• Reply 79 of 137
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

The point it that the ?Watch is NOTJUST A DAMN WATCH. That's a term of convenience and familiarity. It's a wearable computing device. It's a new form factor for such. 

The ?Watch IS the next big thing, because it's already changed the lives of the few who've had the opportunity to live with it. Once developers have had a chance to write apps for it, it'll be even more of a big thing.

The competition already missed the boat when they jerked off all of their junk gimmicks, trying to get them out before Apple. Even TAG Heuer  obviously missed the concept when they first assumed it was a watch and then concluded that they'd logically do a better job with theirs because they know watches. Who knows what Google is thinking if they think they can outdo Apple at its new disruptive game, but that collaboration is bound to flop without anything comparable to Apple's design efforts based on its already established juggernaut of an ecosystem.

Moreover, very few people, esp. reviewers, are focusing on the amazing fact that $350 buys you the same functionality as the model that costs nearly 50x more. I cannot think of any other consumer electronics product that does that.

• Reply 80 of 137
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Pretty much every single one of your comments on this site is actively hating on Apple or an Apple product. So yes, you're a troll. There is no variety, insight, or intellectual honesty in any of your posts. When someone's "opinion" is always consistent with an agenda of hate, that person is a troll, because you fit the facts to your desired view, not the other way around. You "couldn't care less" about the Apple Watch, yet jump into every thread with something negative to say, over and over. Stop lying to yourself and everyone else. People aren't stupid, they see you for what you are. 

Lets see how intellectually honest you are.  Go through this thread and cite my Apple negative comments.