Apple's Jony Ive promoted to Chief Design Officer

Comments

• Reply 41 of 142
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    rogifan wrote: »
    This is the front page of Tuesday's Telegraph newspaper. I've got to imagine Apple PR knew it was going to run on the front page.

CF4X_rwWoAQFszj.jpg

Nooo that's about Stephen Fry, he is the new PR VP. ;) Kidding asside he'd be pretty good in that role IMHO. :D

At least we now know why all the fat people live near airports ... :no:

p.s. The Pope says that's rubbish he never misses Britain's Got Talent. It's a wonderful model of utter faith!
  • Reply 42 of 142
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    hoobitron wrote: »
    So is this a good thing or bad thing for Apple investors?

Most likely 'meh.'

But we'll know tomorrow.
  • Reply 43 of 142
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Yeah, wtf wrong with people's obsession about ports on a tiny device like MacBook. I would say only idiots would design multiple ports on that state of the art laptop. People need to go to Apple Store to see it in person to realize putting many ports on that laptop is stupid.

Not to mention new docking ports attach to the single port to offer a plethora of IOs. Apple is always at least 5 years ahead of all the other so called computer makers who aways end up following.
  • Reply 44 of 142
    Most likely 'meh.'

But we'll know tomorrow.

Not sure I can recall Tim doing ever doing anything that wasn't good for investors. Just don't expect Wall Street to understand for about a year or so.
  • Reply 45 of 142
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Whatever happens, I hope this'll mean Apple gets over its obsession with thin and start making laptops that are more feature-rich and less port-poor. Every time I think of getting a MacBook Air, I end up asking myself if there's that much difference between it an my iPad with a keyboard. I draw a blank.

I saw the Mac Book this weekend. It is a brilliant design, if it suits the needs of the user. It anticipates a completely wireless environment and future performance gains. Thin and light is always a desirable target for mobile or portable devices so arguably one of the obsessions that has fostered the incredible growth of Apple; this is not subjective.

I compared it with the Mac Book Air which is using a previous generation screen, yet slightly larger and heavier, albeit with more power and ports, and the Mac Book Pro with even higher levels of power, connection and larger screen sizes.

Never did I draw a blank at the difference between an iPad with a bluetooth keyboard and any of the available Mac's. 

• Reply 46 of 142
    inkling wrote: »

Wireless is fine if you live in a home on a large lot. it becomes dubious in high density locale. At a university library reading room I used to write in, WiFi became absolutely unworkable in early afternoon with 200+ students in one large room. And many dense condo and apartment neighborhoods are much the same. I've been in many locales where I could seen two-dozen plus WiFis visible. Email and that may be fine. But it's disaster when you start streaming HD-TV.

Were I doing something confidential in law, finance or medicine, I'd be wired not wireless. A law firm in a tall building that's wireless is wide-open to penetration for those with high-gain antennas a mile or more away.  Given enough time, some lawyer is going to screw up and leave the system wide open.

Then use a damn Ethernet dongle, or buy a Windows PC. Problem solved.
  • Reply 47 of 142
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm curious about Tim Cook's wording. He says Ive is being "promoted" to a newly created position. Well he already was a SVP. Is Chief Design Officer a level above SVP then? Or was he not at the same level as his SVP peers? I think it's noteworthy he's never been listed as an executive officer in Apple's SEC filings and thus has never had his salary or stock options reported.

You can be a senior exec of a company and not be an 'officer' necessarily. That title implies that you also have corprate governance responsibilities, and to some extent, you also (theoretically) become liable for the actions of the corporation.
  • Reply 48 of 142
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Yeah, that whole thing about one having OS X and Windows capability and one having iOS just slips the mind, I suppose.

Not to mention that the Air actually has real industry standard ports that are accessible easily by programmers/users.
  • Reply 49 of 142
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I'm thinking the fatigue finally got to him. He didn't sound like he was handling the stress well in the interviews. Apple Watch can be his final product, now he steps to a reduced role like Bob Mansfield.

I don't believe that this is a case of a reduced role; more strategic, and definitely less of a public face, but overall a more powerful position. It appears that he has groomed two powerful lieutenants to take over the daily chores. This is, in fact, a role like Bob Mansfield had after his "retirement". Maybe he is the new "decider" in chief, an unofficial role that Steve had previously.

• Reply 50 of 142
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not to mention that the Air actually has real industry standard ports that are accessible easily by programmers/users.

And people love to claim that Apple's "obsession with thinness and removing ports" is a recent development.

It may look thick today, but that was incredibly thin and portable in the '90s. And it was missing most of the "essential" ports.

• Reply 51 of 142
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I'm thinking the fatigue finally got to him. He didn't sound like he was handling the stress well in the interviews. Apple Watch can be his final product, now he steps to a reduced role like Bob Mansfield.

Wrong. Completely wrong.

• Reply 52 of 142
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Wrong. Completely wrong.

"Reduced" doesn't mean "less powerful". It means "I don't have to do as much". When Steve stepped down as CEO he still retained the power to shove Apple whichever direction he chose. He just didn't have to handle the little details.

• Reply 53 of 142
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Whatever happens, I hope this'll mean Apple gets over its obsession with thin and start making laptops that are more feature-rich and less port-poor. Every time I think of getting a MacBook Air, I end up asking myself if there's that much difference between it an my iPad with a keyboard. I draw a blank.

Not an inkling. Myopic.

• Reply 54 of 142
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malo View Post

Apple signaling new organizational alignment as the enterprise grows even further. More products, more SKU's, last thing you want is him becoming a product manager. This is a great decision - liberating a visionary and allowing him to stretch creatively, love it!

Ahh, someone with half a clue.

• Reply 55 of 142
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member

Congrats to Jony Ive! I am sure Jony always had the freedom to do whatever he wanted. Maybe this is the way to actually giving the other folks an increased visibility and having them set for next gen. Creating a CDO position and promoting Ive to this role is to get win/win/win situation. Let's not try to read any negativity into this - There isn't any.

• Reply 56 of 142
    briskmixbriskmix Posts: 3member

Yes, generally in company hierarchy a "chief" is above a SVP. (I.e. Chief Operating Officer is going to be higher than SVP of Operations.)

• Reply 57 of 142
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This is the front page of Tuesday's Telegraph newspaper. I've got to imagine Apple PR knew it was going to run on the front page.

CF4X_rwWoAQFszj.jpg

So much for that stereotype of American's being fat and overweight.

Those Brits need to cut back on the pints! :)

• Reply 58 of 142
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    quinney wrote: »
    Luca Maestri is Chief Financial Officer

So there's three people in the "c-suite" now. Cook needs to add Jeff Williams to that suite.
  • Reply 59 of 142
    tmay wrote: »
    I don't believe that this is a case of a reduced role; more strategic, and definitely less of a public face, but overall a more powerful position. It appears that he has groomed two powerful lieutenants to take over the daily chores. This is, in fact, a role like Bob Mansfield had after his "retirement". Maybe he is the new "decider" in chief, an unofficial role that Steve had previously.

Hmm...I think this position could be more of a public face. That 20 page profile in the New Yorker makes more sense now.
  • Reply 60 of 142
    satchmo wrote: »
    So much for that stereotype of American's being fat and overweight.
    Those Brits need to cut back on the pints! :)

Well Ive did become an American citizen a few years ago. :D