Apple's Jony Ive promoted to Chief Design Officer

Comments

• Reply 21 of 142
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    It's a well established practice for known design houses to require their designers to take on a certain percentage of outside projects to keep thing fresh and expand knowledge beyond their focus area. I know BMW's designers have worked on bass guitars with Ernie Ball in the past as part of their requirement.

If Ive wants to dabble in a few architecture projects, it's win/win for Apple. They've got plenty of construction projects and their star player gets more ninja training/experience.
  • Reply 22 of 142
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Quote:

And I have bad news: the need to combine "portability" with "lots of cords all at once" is only going to diminish in future. Those days are not returning. On the bright side: as move towards our wireless future, hubs and docks--and different laptop models for different needs--will still be available for the outlier situations.

Wireless is fine if you live in a home on a large lot. it becomes dubious in high density locale. At a university library reading room I used to write in, WiFi became absolutely unworkable in early afternoon with 200+ students in one large room. And many dense condo and apartment neighborhoods are much the same. I've been in many locales where I could seen two-dozen plus WiFis visible. Email and that may be fine. But it's disaster when you start streaming HD-TV.

Were I doing something confidential in law, finance or medicine, I'd be wired not wireless. A law firm in a tall building that's wireless is wide-open to penetration for those with high-gain antennas a mile or more away.  Given enough time, some lawyer is going to screw up and leave the system wide open.

• Reply 23 of 142
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm curious about Tim Cook's wording. He says Ive is being "promoted" to a newly created position. Well he already was a SVP. Is Chief Design Officer a level above SVP then? Or was he not at the same level as his SVP peers? I think it's noteworthy he's never been listed as an executive officer in Apple's SEC filings and thus has never had his salary or stock options reported.
  • Reply 24 of 142
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Clearly. And the pathetic sales of Apple products running his UI is "clear" evidence of this right? Oh wait, sales have actually exploded, so the only thing that is "clear" is that your meaningless opinion is just that- a useless, meaningless opinion. Try not to pretend it's anything else, with words like "clearly". 

Right! Not to mention all the copycats mobile operating systems that clearly suddenly dropped their previous iOS look to look just like Joni's poor offering ... /s. ????
  • Reply 25 of 142
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Basically, Apple has gotten a lot bigger, so Ive will move up and far more is delegated out to other designers. 

Nothing special. Please move along now.

• Reply 26 of 142
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Wireless is fine if you live in a home on a large lot. it becomes dubious in high density locale. At a university library reading room I used to write in, WiFi became absolutely unworkable in early afternoon with 200+ students in one large room. And many dense condo and apartment neighborhoods are much the same. I've been in many locales where I could seen two-dozen plus WiFis visible. Email and that may be fine. But it's disaster when you start streaming HD-TV.

Were I doing something confidential in law, finance or medicine, I'd be wired not wireless. A law firm in a tall building that's wireless is wide-open to penetration for those with high-gain antennas a mile or more away.  Given enough time, some lawyer is going to screw up and leave the system wide open.

So...USB to Ethernet...or Thunderbolt to Ethernet...

Or if you think ports are the end-all be-all, buy an older portable and take care of it.

• Reply 27 of 142
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Clearly. And the pathetic sales of Apple products running his UI is "clear" evidence of this right? Oh wait, sales have actually exploded, so the only thing that is "clear" is that your meaningless opinion is just that- a useless, meaningless opinion. Try not to pretend it's anything else, with words like "clearly". 

Right! Not to mention all the copycats mobile operating systems that clearly suddenly dropped their previous iOS look to look just like Joni's poor offering ... /s. ????

Big deal for copycats. 

Apple's method, all along, is to let the "pioneers" enter the market, I mean, get the arrows, then come in later and see what has worked and what has failed and optimize on that. 

As we have seen, "copying" has failed. Because the copies have been poor copies.

• Reply 28 of 142
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Anyone who thinks that this means he will have a reduced role is nuts. This gives him more authority, not less. He will now officially over see projects that before, he was doing anyway, but in an indirect fashion.

His two underlings were his underlings before, but now, are are also promoted, and given more official acknowledgement as to their roles.
  • Reply 29 of 142
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm curious about Tim Cook's wording. He says Ive is being "promoted" to a newly created position. Well he already was a SVP. Is Chief Design Officer a level above SVP then? Or was he not at the same level as his SVP peers?

Jony wasn't happy being like the other SVPs. With Great Responsibility comes Great Hear Gear...

Hear you go, Chief...

• Reply 30 of 142
    john12345john12345 Posts: 152member
    It sounds like he's starting to take on the role of what Steve Jobs used to do.
  • Reply 31 of 142
    melgross wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that this means he will have a reduced role is nuts. This gives him more authority, not less. He will now officially over see projects that before, he was doing anyway, but in an indirect fashion.

His two underlings were his underlings before, but now, are are also promoted, and given more official acknowledgement as to their roles.

From Tim Cook's employee memo it sounds like his role had already been expanding and this title and "promotion" is officially recognizing it. It certainly sounds like his focus will be on new ideas/initiatives along with more involvement in Campus 2 and new Apple Store designs. I am curious what the promotion means exactly. Is CDO the equivalent of SVP? Nobody else besides Tim Cook has a "Chief xxx" title. Jeff Williams doesn't even have Tim's old title of COO. Something else to note, Phil Schiller is now the only executive without major job duty changes since Apple 2.0.
  • Reply 32 of 142
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

He's kinda been filling Jobs's and his own roles since 2011. You may be right that this is him moving into Jobs's seat, while keeping an eye on his old stomping grounds.

Newson may be there as a sounding board.

• Reply 33 of 142
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    slurpy wrote: »
    You are correct and I should have stated such.
  • Reply 34 of 142
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    promoted from SVP of Design to a new position called Chief Design Officer

Doesn't sound like a promotion.
  • Reply 35 of 142
    Quote:

Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

Steve did three things:

1.) Make things insanely simple and iconic

2.) Charge appropriately for it

3.) Design for insatiable

This is hard (and not hard) to do. You really need to keep your head. Steve really drive towards simplicity. You'd want a device so simple you didn't have to read a book on it. It was a guideline. Not all of Apple's products are easy to use, like iTunes. (iTunes is not hard, but it is complex, and maybe unavoidable.)

• Reply 36 of 142
    evilution wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like a promotion.

This is the front page of Tuesday's Telegraph newspaper. I've got to imagine Apple PR knew it was going to run on the front page.

CF4X_rwWoAQFszj.jpg
  • Reply 37 of 142
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    rogifan wrote: »
    melgross wrote: »

From Tim Cook's employee memo it sounds like his role had already been expanding and this title and "promotion" is officially recognizing it. It certainly sounds like his focus will be on new ideas/initiatives along with more involvement in Campus 2 and new Apple Store designs. I am curious what the promotion means exactly. Is CDO the equivalent of SVP? Nobody else besides Tim Cook has a "Chief xxx" title. Jeff Williams doesn't even have Tim's old title of COO. Something else to note, Phil Schiller is now the only executive without major job duty changes since Apple 2.0.

Luca Maestri is Chief Financial Officer
  • Reply 38 of 142
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    This is a good thing.

Ive isn't the only talented designer at Apple.

But one thing he REALLY brings to the table is he cares. A lot.

He's a perfectionist and has a strong sense of visionary design in matters of pretty much everything.

Steve jobs saw how the invisible dots connect in matters of business and humanity. Ive sees how design works clot just in some niche arenas, but in general.

He will be the guiding force directing teams of hungry, talented designers firing arrows of fire to get things done and make statements. His job will be to make sure those arrows hit the target. And to extinguish the ones won't.

He will ensure that Apple "cares" moving forward. Both as he instilled that in his teams and also as he himself says "no" a thousand times before he says "yes."

Apple wants everything to be consistent. From the phone to the Mac to the tablet to the watch to the accessories to the stores they're sold in, to the building where they are dreamed up and designed-to perhaps even the car we drive...
  • Reply 39 of 142
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    pfisher wrote: »
    Big deal for copycats. 

Apple's method, all along, is to let the "pioneers" enter the market, I mean, get the arrows, then come in later and see what has worked and what has failed and optimize on that. 

As we have seen, "copying" has failed. Because the copies have been poor copies.

Did you see the /s?
  • Reply 40 of 142
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Ever heard of MacBook Pro? or are just trolling.
    Yeah, wtf wrong with people's obsession about ports on a tiny device like MacBook. I would say only idiots would design multiple ports on that state of the art laptop. People need to go to Apple Store to see it in person to realize putting many ports on that laptop is stupid.