HTC shares continue freefall, market value falls below cash on hand

Comments

• Reply 21 of 118
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Well like MS did to the PC industry, Android is doing it at an accelerated rate. Google is laughing to the bank as all their hardware partners fight it out to see if can stay alive in the brutal race to the bottom. The only difference is the PC inductries was able to carve out a higher end market to keep most of them alive. This does not exist in the cell phone market, the difference is selling to consumers verse enterprise.

• Reply 22 of 118
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

We are talking about HTC here, not Apple.

Doh!  Carry on then.  :)

I forgot which thread I was on.  (Recently was on one about AAPL's share price too.)

• Reply 23 of 118
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Much harder than it sounds, especially when your market cap is ginormous and many people expect it to go higher.

When a company attempts to go private, they typically have to offer the current shareholders a premium.  I know that I, for one, have high hopes for AAPL's future share price, so I would not vote for anything less than a 50% premium.  I can't speak for all shareholders, but I think that a 30% premium may end up in the vicinity of what it would take.

Where would Apple get the backing to go private?

Just keep buying back shares until there is just a few then close the deal.

• Reply 24 of 118
    So give your investors their cash and close the doors.
  • Reply 25 of 118

I would beg to differ.  The Internet is mostly full of useless crap.

• Reply 26 of 118
    sog35 wrote: »

but Google hardly makes any money from Android.

The bulk of their profits is from PC ads and iOS ads.

If anything, "free" (as in beer, as in endlessly forkable) Android makes it impossible for Windows or Tizen get a foothold on the non-iPhone market.
  • Reply 27 of 118
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,599member

but Google hardly makes any money from Android.

The bulk of their profits is from PC ads and iOS ads.

The guesses out there about what Google makes from Android are pretty old aren't they? I don't think Google themselves has ever commented on it. Personally I think the Google Play Store by itself has probably added a few $B, tho certainly not as much as Apple has profited from the App Store. But like you I'm guessing.
  • Reply 28 of 118
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by torusoft View Post

HTC and every other Android manufacturer deserves to lie in the bed they've made. Stagefright is just the latest and biggest torpedo to slam into the hulls of sinking Android ships. https://torusoft.com/blog/persona-non-grata

WOW! That is ****ing scary!!! A lot worse than I'd imagined!!

Basically every android phone is hacked and tracked by someone already. OMG.

Your photos, texts, notes, personal info are already traced and stored somewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The biggest issue seems to be the multitude of models in the market, thousands of them, which ends up being defined by who can go the lowest on price. HTC was one of the worst, tho they've recently recognised their model overkill and pledged to focus on just a few handsets going forward. Others like Samsung should do the same IMO. Stop trying to underprice each other and instead concentrate on just a very few good models for specific price points or specific markets.

So copy Apple more than they already do. Got It!

• Reply 29 of 118
    but, but, but, people want to buy cheaper Android phones than iPhone.

WRONG.

iPhone's moat is greater than ever.  Who the hell is going to dethrone iPhone now?

Google gave up. They wasted $12 billion on Motorolla and sold them.
    Microsoft gave up.  They wasted $15 billion on Nokia and sold them.
    Samsung gave up. Now focusing on cheaper phones and profits are down 80% from its peak.

Who the hell is left to threaten the iPhone ecosystem?  You need at least $30-$50 billion just to build an ecosystem on the level of iPhone. Who the hell has the capital to pull that off?  And after watching Google/MSFT/Samsung waste tens of BILLIONS in trying to dethrone Apple, who has the guts to try it?

Answer is no one.  
    One company that seems to be making a niche for itself and trudging on is Blackberry. They'll never (at least not in the foreseable future) get back to where they were but correcting some of the past mistakes by focusing on what they were known for - business & security - rather than trying to compete with iOS or Android, seems to be doing fairly well for themselves. They have something of a cult-like following with people like Chef Tyler Florence and rocker Duff McKagan swearing by them.
  • Reply 30 of 118
    cali wrote: »

Absolutely. It's business and not a game show.
  • Reply 31 of 118
    torusoft wrote: »
    HTC and every other Android manufacturer deserves to lie in the bed they've made. Stagefright is just the latest and biggest torpedo to slam into the hulls of sinking Android ships. https://torusoft.com/blog/persona-non-grata
    There's lots of good information out there about Stagefright. Your link is not one of those with numerous inaccuracies throughout. My guess it that was the author's intent, sacrifice accuracy for linkbait. Sad that it's so common and worse still that those flakey FUD-filled articles are promoted.
  • Reply 32 of 118
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Absolutely. It's business and not a game show.

Yeah screw integrity, artistry, respect for the consumer, originality,  and intelligence.

Be a dirty rat! Steal and make money!!

• Reply 33 of 118
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    I think Android being free is the problem. The manufacturers don't care about quality because they can always find suckers to buy POS phones. I'd they actually had to pay to use Android, perhaps they might've weeded out some of the crap phones.
  • Reply 34 of 118
    Yeah screw integrity, artistry, respect for the consumer, originality,  and intelligence.

Be a dirty rat! Steal and make money!!
    ROTFL. . .

It's not a soap opera either. :smokey:
  • Reply 35 of 118
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member
    torusoft wrote: »

WOW! That is ****ing scary!!! A lot worse than I'd imagined!!

Basically every android phone is hacked and tracked by someone already. OMG.

Your photos, texts, notes, personal info are already traced and stored somewhere.

No, that's not true. Basically no Android phone is hacked and it's a lot harder than the article has stated. That link was horribly written with bad information.
  • Reply 36 of 118
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    larrya wrote: »
    These flailing Android manufacturers should all decide at once to start making Windows phones. Not that I'm a big Windows fan, but the writing is on the wall for Android, and together they could get to a critical mass for Windows and actually start making a little money.

Why would Windows make a difference?
  • Reply 37 of 118
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

No, that's not true. Basically no Android phone is hacked and it's a lot harder than the article has stated. That link was horribly written with bad information.

Wrong, except Nexus devices which were recently patched, all others are impacted including GS6/6Edge. Also, Google Hangout is completely pre-authorized for the infect, no user interaction needed.

• Reply 38 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

When there's no way of knowing who or how many might already be exploited, how can you say that?  The whole nature of Stagefright isn't that it is easy - it's that it exists in the first place.  Look at the issue from a foreign intelligence and foreign adversary's perspective.  You have a massive exploit, no practical way to patch it beyond a few percentage points of the total base, and the method of delivery can be silent.  The conversation needs to shift away from thinking about what "hackers" can do with these exploits, and start thinking about what states can do with these exploits.  Stagefright is a perfect cyber weapon no matter how you look at it.  It won't be the last for Android either.

• Reply 39 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by torusoft View Post

When there's no way of knowing who or how many might already be exploited, how can you say that?  The whole nature of Stagefright isn't that it is easy - it's that it exists in the first place.  Look at the issue from a foreign intelligence and foreign adversary's perspective.  You have a massive exploit, no practical way to patch it beyond a few percentage points of the total base, and the method of delivery can be silent.  The conversation needs to shift away from thinking about what "hackers" can do with these exploits, and start thinking about what states can do with these exploits.  Stagefright is a perfect cyber weapon no matter how you look at it.  It won't be the last for Android either.

Sorry, not a perfect weapon, but the perfect way to deliver a cyber weapon.

• Reply 40 of 118
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Did you forget, or not know that HTC has a licensing agreement with Apple?