HTC shares continue freefall, market value falls below cash on hand

Comments

• Reply 61 of 118
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by torusoft View Post

HTC and every other Android manufacturer deserves to lie in the bed they've made. Stagefright is just the latest and biggest torpedo to slam into the hulls of sinking Android ships. https://torusoft.com/blog/persona-non-grata

So when you have finished crowing about Apple's security superiority, please let me know if Apple have changed their mind about not fixing the security hole in all versions of OSX prior to Yosemite:  http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/04/09/update-your-mac-apple-fixes-major-flaw-in-os-x-yosemite-but-wont-patch-lion-mountain-lion-or-mavericks

• Reply 62 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's not answering the question

I don't have advice for Samsung, HTC, or any other Android OEM.  Happy to see them lie in the bed they've made.  Consumers deserve better and they're waking up.  If there's any lesson for the industry thus far, it is that half-measures won't save you; ecosystems can't be bought and; racing to the bottom only benefits one's high quality competitors - leading to Apple taking 93% of the industry's profit.

• Reply 63 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

So when you have finished crowing about Apple's security superiority, please let me know if Apple have changed their mind about not fixing the security hole in all versions of OSX prior to Yosemite:  http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/04/09/update-your-mac-apple-fixes-major-flaw-in-os-x-yosemite-but-wont-patch-lion-mountain-lion-or-mavericks

It's called setting a standard.  If you're going to rail against Apple's update track record when it provides OS updates over the air going back five years - you're barking up the wrong tree.

• Reply 64 of 118
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    torusoft wrote: »
    cnocbui wrote: »

So given only Apple, Samsung, Blackberry and Microsoft appear to have the resources to develop a phone OS, you are saying that no other companies than those should be making phones?

I think the quote speaks for itself.

What does a 20% success rate say?
  • Reply 65 of 118
    Quote:

93% of the entire industry's profit.

• Reply 66 of 118
    dasanman69 wrote: »

93% of the entire industry's profit.

You're good at not answering questions
  • Reply 67 of 118
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by torusoft View Post

I think the quote speaks for itself.

All bears that are yellow should be avoided if the preceding sunset was purple and the year is evenly divisible by 2.

• Reply 68 of 118
    Quote:

You're not so hot at asking them.

• Reply 69 of 118

You're not so hot at asking them.

I ask the ones people are afraid to answer. Too hot
  • Reply 70 of 118

If anything, "free" (as in beer, as in endlessly forkable) Android makes it impossible for Windows or Tizen get a foothold on the non-iPhone market.

From what I understand Tizen makes Android look like a great phone OS.
  • Reply 71 of 118
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Quote:

Did you forget, or not know that HTC has a licensing agreement with Apple?

Actually I did forget. I still think copying and being unoriginal is a scumbag move.

I as a nobody today have drawn up original devices. It's hard but should be nothing to a room full of engineers(if android manufacturer's even have them).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

So given only Apple, Samsung, Blackberry and Microsoft appear to have the resources to develop a phone OS, you are saying that no other companies than those should be making phones?

Why oh WHY do people act like Jesus and his 12 desciples had iPhones and snapped selfies??

You know, iPhone is an Apple invention. Phones can exist and don't have to be knockoffs.

Quote:

%20 success rate of what? and Who?

• Reply 72 of 118
    cali wrote: »

Only 1 out of 5 companies that made their own OS was successful, so it's not the magic formula it's made out to be.
  • Reply 73 of 118
    amoradala wrote: »
    many people I know prefer a physical keyboard to a touchscreen. Blackberry need to realise that is what differentiates them and embrace it.

"Many people?" It must be upwards to 10s of people, given Blackberry's market share. There are people who prefer manual typewriters, and horses over cars...

There's nothing wrong with Blackberry embracing their full keyboard, but like the Titanic, it's not going anywhere...
  • Reply 74 of 118

Actually I did forget. I still think copying and being unoriginal is a scumbag move.

Like Apple did with Xerox?
  • Reply 75 of 118

Only 1 out of 5 companies that made their own OS was successful, so it's not the magic formula it's made out to be.

It was damn ballsie for Apple to make their own OS and take on the carriers' "total control" mantra. Even Android never could command that. Since then Apple has moved their ecosystem into a place so far ahead of everyone else, no one can catch up.

"Soon" Microsoft will begin shipping their Win10 phones... Imagine, it was only 7 years late to responding to the iPhone, along with three abortive Win OSs (Win 7, Win8, and Win8.1) along the way. (Not even counting the Kin OS).

I guess that shows how hard it is to make an OS if you don't have a seat at Apple's boardroom, scribbling notes like crazy.
  • Reply 76 of 118

Apple paid Xerox for the idea, however Apple looked at the $100,000 Xerox computer and said we can do that for $2500.
  • Reply 77 of 118

Apple paid Xerox for the idea, however Apple looked at the $100,000 Xerox computer and said we can do that for $2500.

Copying is still copying, paid or unpaid.
  • Reply 78 of 118
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Quote:

Copying is still copying, paid or unpaid.

The former tends to be called "licensing", though. 

If you want to call it "copying", go right ahead, but do expect to be laughed at, heartily.

• Reply 79 of 118

It was damn ballsie for Apple to make their own OS and take on the carriers' "total control" mantra. Even Android never could command that. Since then Apple has moved their ecosystem into a place so far ahead of everyone else, no one can catch up.

"Soon" Microsoft will begin shipping their Win10 phones... Imagine, it was only 7 years late to responding to the iPhone, along with three abortive Win OSs (Win 7, Win8, and Win8.1) along the way. (Not even counting the Kin OS).

I guess that shows how hard it is to make an OS if you don't have a seat at Apple's boardroom, scribbling notes like crazy.

Obviously it's not easy, DUH!!! Why do people here make it out to be?
  • Reply 80 of 118
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

LOL. Hell no.

What kind of ecosystem does Windows mobile have?  Piss poor.  

Its game over for premium phone builders.  No one can complete with Apple. They should just close up shop instead of losing BILLIONS.

Look at this way.  Both Microsoft and Google FAILED.  And both threw BILLIONS in investment, have powerful brands and still failed. How the hell is HTC suppose to compete?  They can't.

I predict that HTC, Sony, LG will all stop premium phone production in a year.  Samsung will continue for a couple more years. But eventually they too will stop trying to compete with Apple at the premium price point.  

While there might be a decline in the "premium" market for Android (e.g. same price levels as an iPhone), there will of course continue to be a market for higher-end devices that are not Apple, for a number of reasons.