HTC shares continue freefall, market value falls below cash on hand

Comments

• Reply 81 of 118
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    spheric wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Copying is still copying, paid or unpaid.

The former tends to be called "licensing", though. 

If you want to call it "copying", go right ahead, but do expect to be laughed at, heartily.

At the end of the day you're taking someone else's idea or invention because you couldn't make your own.
  • Reply 82 of 118
    larrya wrote: »
    Why would Windows make a difference?

It might not be better at first. I just don't see a happy end-game for them in Android and Windows could be more secure for Enterprise customers.

Enterprise isn't enough.
  • Reply 83 of 118
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

At the end of the day you're taking someone else's idea or invention because you couldn't make your own.

WTF is your point? 

You're just copying stuff you learned in school. Or is there a specific reason why you're not making up your own language, but using English? 

Or could it be that you didn't HAVE TO make up your own (rather than not being able to), because somebody had already done it, and you realized the value, and it made things easier?

Well, actually, you ARE making up stuff on your own, and simply redefining terms to make them fit your agenda, rather than "copying" the meaning that others have given them in the past. 

Also, you haven't the slightest clue what XeroX PARC's system looked like, do you. 

Check it out: 

That's more NeXT than Mac, right there.

• Reply 84 of 118
    torusoft wrote: »
    What does a 20% success rate say?

93% of the entire industry's profit.

You're good at not answering questions

Au contraire, I think he's excellent at answering your fairly obtuse, premise-laden questions.

I think you're conflating answers you don't like with "he's not answering the question.":lol:
  • Reply 85 of 118

WTF is your point? 

You're just copying stuff you learned in school. Or is there a specific reason why you're not making up your own language, but using English? 

Or could it be that you didn't HAVE TO make up your own (rather than not being able to), because somebody had already done it, and you realized the value, and it made things easier?

Well, actually, you ARE making up stuff on your own, and simply redefining terms to make them fit your agenda, rather than "copying" the meaning that others have given them in the past. 

Also, you haven't the slightest clue what XeroX PARC's system looked like, do you. 

Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxEmJu8OSug

That's more NeXT than Mac, right there.

Because you're not following the conversation and jumping in midstream, and looking like a fool. One poster was criticizing HTC for copying and I informed him that they have a licensing agreement with Apple, and he replied that he still thinks copying and being unoriginal is a scumbag move. I was just pointing out that Apple did just that with Xerox. Next time don't jump into a conversation you know nothing about.
  • Reply 86 of 118
    torusoft wrote: »
    What does a 20% success rate say?

93% of the entire industry's profit.

You're good at not answering questions

Au contraire, I think he's excellent at answering your fairly obtuse, premise-laden questions.

I think you're conflating answers you don't like with "he's not answering the question.":lol:

That's called deflecting, and that's what someone does when they're afraid to answer the question.

I'm sure he's a big boy and can defend himself. He most definitely doesn’t need you to chime in with your 2 cents nobody asked for.
  • Reply 87 of 118
    cali wrote: »
    Did you forget, or not know that HTC has a licensing agreement with Apple?

Actually I did forget. I still think copying and being unoriginal is a scumbag move.

Like Apple did with Xerox?

Actually, that is a scumbag response. Surprised to see it coming from you. I had honestly expected you to be a tad more informed.
  • Reply 88 of 118

That's called deflecting, and that's what someone does when they're afraid to answer the question.

I'm sure he's a big boy and can defend himself. He most definitely doesn’t need you to chime in with your 2 cents nobody asked for.

Actually, your whining, trolling g and lying on this thread (go educate yourself on what Apple paid Xerox) is an incredible annoyance in an otherwise fine set of posts.

Please stop with you whiny, trolly, false posts.
  • Reply 89 of 118
    Actually, that is a scumbag response. Surprised to see it coming from you. I had honestly expected you to be a tad more informed.

So school me, what did Apple do?
  • Reply 90 of 118
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member

Google sure has done them well.

• Reply 91 of 118
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,348member
    Quote:

Because you're not following the conversation and jumping in midstream, and looking like a fool. One poster was criticizing HTC for copying and I informed him that they have a licensing agreement with Apple, and he replied that he still thinks copying and being unoriginal is a scumbag move. I was just pointing out that Apple did just that with Xerox. Next time don't jump into a conversation you know nothing about.

Jef Raskin would probably disagree with you. He did have Steve, et al, go over to Xerox to convince Steve that what Apple was already working on was the direction Apple should take for the future. Apple negotiated with Xerox for a single day tour, and gave Xerox $1M in stock. Apple's UI and Xerox's UI were noticeably different. Then Raskin was asked to leave the Mac project, due to conflicts with Steve Jobs. It was Steve's vision that pushed the UI far beyond what Xerox had. Xerox was primarily the inspiration, not the model.

• Reply 92 of 118

It is quite well known (all you've got to do is 'google' it) that Apple paid Xerox with its pre-IPO shares for GUI.

In my world, when I pay for a piece of property, it's rightfully mine.
  • Reply 93 of 118
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,348member

The trolls are in force today.

Fact: Google's business model from day one is the single reason that everything about Android is less than iOS; from profits, to QA, to security, to build quality. The only win for Google is sheer numbers, and an insurance policy that lets them shift massive amounts of ads to users.

Some here would like to try convince you that if only the OEM's would do this, or the carriers that, everything would be better. Nope.

• Reply 94 of 118
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

And unfortunately at this point, Android end users can do nothing to protect themselves from this bug, but just sit there and pray. BTW, CyanogenMod didn't get infected. Look like OnePlus 2 is a good choice for fandroids now.

I use CyanogenMod exclusively, even my Nexus 9 is running it. I'm using the nightly builds and update at least once a week, the reason being is that they include the most recent security patches. It's done at night automatically so when I wake up it's ready to go. I don't hate Android like the others here, I actually find it to be quite good. Especially for working, I'm even running Linux in a Chroot so I can run a LAMP server. Office for Android, like the iOS version is fantastic, as are the rest of the apps that I'm using. I just don't get the hatred. I;m not using some cheap Android device, I've never had a single malware as I only install from the PlayStore and use top 500 apps. I do have apkhere installed, but it's only used to see what's new in the app world. I also run a malware detection software once a week, without a single incident.

Here is a screenshout from one of my tablets running CM12.

• Reply 96 of 118
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Quote:

Did you forget, or not know that HTC has a licensing agreement with Apple?

Woah. I was not aware of this. 

Quote:

Mea culpa. I skipped the second page of the thread. I see now that you were, in a sense, making the exact same point, and using it in favor of HTC. I agree. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It is quite well known (all you've got to do is 'google' it) that Apple paid Xerox with its pre-IPO shares for GUI.

And that was EXACTLY the point dasanman69 was making in regard to HTC. You're in agreement.

• Reply 97 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Yeah screw integrity, artistry, respect for the consumer, originality,  and intelligence.

Be a dirty rat! Steal and make money!!

Samsung? Is that you?

• Reply 98 of 118

And that was EXACTLY the point dasanman69 was making in regard to HTC. You're in agreement.

Umm... No. Read it all over again.
  • Reply 99 of 118
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Microsoft makes over a billion dollars per year from HTC due to royalty payments. No reason to spoil that.

Microsoft made over a billion dollars per year from HTC due to royalty payments.

Fixed that for you.
  • Reply 100 of 118

They didn’t buy the GUI from Xerox, they only licensed it. Apple saw what Xerox was doing, and they changed their strategy. They saw a better idea then what they were doing, and decided to use it.