HTC shares continue freefall, market value falls below cash on hand

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,599member
    torusoft wrote: »

When there's no way of knowing who or how many might already be exploited, how can you say that?  The whole nature of Stagefright isn't that it is easy - it's that it exists in the first place.  Look at the issue from a foreign intelligence and foreign adversary's perspective.  You have a massive exploit, no practical way to patch it beyond a few percentage points of the total base, and the method of delivery can be silent.  The conversation needs to shift away from thinking about what "hackers" can do with these exploits, and start thinking about what states can do with these exploits.  Stagefright is a perfect cyber weapon no matter how you look at it.  It won't be the last for Android either.
    If you have any interest in accuracy this article is worth your time to read. My guess is you have no dog in the fight anyway so actual facts may not be a huge priority for you?
  • Reply 42 of 118
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by torusoft View Post

When there's no way of knowing who or how many might already be exploited, how can you say that?  The whole nature of Stagefright isn't that it is easy - it's that it exists in the first place.  Look at the issue from a foreign intelligence and foreign adversary's perspective.  You have a massive exploit, no practical way to patch it beyond a few percentage points of the total base, and the method of delivery can be silent.  The conversation needs to shift away from thinking about what "hackers" can do with these exploits, and start thinking about what states can do with these exploits.  Stagefright is a perfect cyber weapon no matter how you look at it.  It won't be the last for Android either.

And unfortunately at this point, Android end users can do nothing to protect themselves from this bug, but just sit there and pray. BTW, CyanogenMod didn't get infected. Look like OnePlus 2 is a good choice for fandroids now.

• Reply 43 of 118
    fallenjt wrote: »
    And unfortunately at this point, Android end users can do nothing to protect themselves from this bug, but just sit there and pray. BTW, CyanogenMod didn't get infected. Look like OnePlus 2 is a good choice for fandroids now.
    That would also be incorrect. Just turn off auto-load in the messaging app settings. FWIW Google is also using Google Play to address the problem for anyone using the Android default Messenger app. Now with the dust beginning to settle this particular exploits' danger looks to have been just a tad over-dramatized IMHO.

By the way there are a couple of AI threads where the subject actually is the Stagefright exploit. Wouldn't this discussion be better in one of those rather than dragging this one further off-topic?

EDIT: Here, I'll link one for you.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/187392/stagefright-vulnerability-compromises-android-phones-with-1-text-message-may-affect-950m-devices
  • Reply 44 of 118
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,954member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Microsoft makes over a billion dollars per year from HTC due to royalty payments. No reason to spoil that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

After digesting and pooping out the remains of Nokia, they are probably full for a while.

Haha yeah, def more of a joke. I always see "Company W should just buy company X, Y, Z!" as if it's just something a company does on a whim. Although, by the looks of the Msft / Nokia fiasco, maybe it is...

• Reply 45 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That would also be incorrect. Just turn off auto-load in the messaging app settings. FWIW Google is also using Google Play to address the problem for anyone using the Android default Messenger app. Now with the dust beginning to settle this particular exploits' danger looks to have been just a tad over-dramatized IMHO.

By the way there are a couple of AI threads where the subject actually is the Stagefright exploit. Wouldn't this discussion be better in one of those rather than dragging this one further off-topic?

EDIT: Here, I'll link one for you.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/187392/stagefright-vulnerability-compromises-android-phones-with-1-text-message-may-affect-950m-devices

All based on the assumption that someone else, with more resources and greater motivation than a private security firm, didn't find it first and find it long ago.  We wouldn't know due to the nature of this exploit.  "Just turn it off" does nothing to address the gaping and un-patchable holes in Android and does nothing to address the potential this exploit is already in use.

• Reply 46 of 118
    larryalarrya Posts: 608member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Why would Windows make a difference?

It might not be better at first. I just don't see a happy end-game for them in Android and Windows could be more secure for Enterprise customers.
  • Reply 47 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

One company that seems to be making a niche for itself and trudging on is Blackberry. They'll never (at least not in the foreseable future) get back to where they were but correcting some of the past mistakes by focusing on what they were known for - business & security - rather than trying to compete with iOS or Android, seems to be doing fairly well for themselves. They have something of a cult-like following with people like Chef Tyler Florence and rocker Duff McKagan swearing by them.

not to mention obama.

many people I know prefer a physical keyboard to a touchscreen. Blackberry need to realise that is what differentiates them and embrace it.

• Reply 48 of 118

All based on the assumption that someone else, with more resources and greater motivation than a private security firm, didn't find it first and find it long ago.  We wouldn't know due to the nature of this exploit.  "Just turn it off" does nothing to address the gaping and un-patchable holes in Android and does nothing to address the potential this exploit is already in use.
    You didn't bother reading the link I gave you did you. That tends to support my guess that the accuracy of your previous claims may not be of the utmost importance to you.

We should also continue the discussion in a more appropriate thread if you really want to continue. I linked one just a few posts back. You should use it.
  • Reply 49 of 118
    Quote:

You didn't bother reading the link I gave you did you. That tends to support my guess that the accuracy of your previous claims may not be of the utmost importance to you.

No link posted.

• Reply 50 of 118
  • Reply 51 of 118
    Quote:

We should also continue the discussion in a more appropriate thread if you really want to continue. I linked one just a few posts back. You should use it.

If you invite someone to an offline discussion, maybe consider the invitation not coming in the form of an insult.

• Reply 52 of 118
    Quote:

Complete bunk, man. "We know Google is working hard to keep Android and all its services as secure as possible."  If that's not fanboy tripe, I don't know what is.  The patches announced by Google and its partners will apply to less than 3% of Android phones in use.  Google can try and spin this all it likes.  They're likely saving up their social capital so they can spin dumping Android on the open source community and washing its hands.  It's only a matter of time now.

• Reply 53 of 118
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Sad, since HTC phones are infinitely better than Samsung ones.
  • Reply 54 of 118

Complete bunk, man. "We know Google is working hard to keep Android and all its services as secure as possible."  If that's not fanboy tripe, I don't know what is.  The patches announced by Google and its partners will apply to less than 3% of Android phones in use.  Google can try and spin this all it likes.  They're likely saving up their social capital so they can spin dumping Android on the open source community and washing its hands.  It's only a matter of time now.
    Ah gotcha. :\
  • Reply 55 of 118
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

HTC and every other Android manufacturer deserves to lie in the bed they've made. Stagefright is just the latest and biggest torpedo to slam into the hulls of sinking Android ships. https://torusoft.com/blog/persona-non-grata

So what exactly should they have done, make phones that run iOS?  Oh wait...

• Reply 56 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

"When you ship someone else's software, you're only as good as your competitor's lowest price" -Ben Bajarin from Creative Strategies Inc.

• Reply 57 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Quote:

The biggest issue seems to be the multitude of models in the market, thousands of them, which ends up being defined by who can go the lowest on price. HTC was one of the worst, tho they've recently recognised their model overkill and pledged to focus on just a few handsets going forward. Others like Samsung should do the same IMO. Stop trying to underprice each other and instead concentrate on just a very few good models for specific price points or specific markets.

Look at Android phone market: it's chaotic and a mess. How many of them? 1000ish models for fandroids to select? LOL. HTC has around 50+ models. What about Samsung, LG and others? I lost counts.

Heh heh. Try:

• 24,093: Distinct Android devices seen this year

• 18,796: Distinct Android devices seen last year

• 1,294: Device manufacturers seen this year

Source: http://fortune.com/2015/08/05/apple-android-fragmentation/

(Ah, pipped by Suddenly Newton).

• Reply 58 of 118
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

"When you ship someone else's software, you're only as good as your competitor's lowest price" -Ben Bajarin from Creative Strategies Inc.

So given only Apple, Samsung, Blackberry and Microsoft appear to have the resources to develop a phone OS, you are saying that no other companies than those should be making phones?

• Reply 59 of 118
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

So given only Apple, Samsung, Blackberry and Microsoft appear to have the resources to develop a phone OS, you are saying that no other companies than those should be making phones?

I think the quote speaks for itself.

• Reply 60 of 118
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cnocbui wrote: »

That's not answering the question