Samsung teases round smartwatch with heavy Apple Watch influence

Comments

• Reply 21 of 205
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,754member

I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that so many people here don't see the copying (other than being paid shills).  I mean, seriously, can anyone show me a Samsung watch that, for the user interface part (not the physical watch itself), looked anything like the Apple Watch prior to the release of the Apple Watch?  Now suddenly their user interface looks very similar.

Sure Apple may not have patents on circles or icon styling, but just because the law doesn't say Sammy is infringing in any way, doesn't mean it's not blatant copying.

• Reply 22 of 205
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

Shame on AppleInsider by trying to flame another war between Apple & Samsung.

The page has turned on this, time to move on. Who cares anymore?

No one. Thats who. Apple won. Apple will always continue to win.

Samsung sucks. They will always continue to suck.

BTW: Everybody knows square beats circle.

• Reply 23 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

[snip...]

The-Huawei-Watch.jpg

That huge watch face looks comical on this normal sized woman. Good lord.

• Reply 24 of 205
    larryalarrya Posts: 608member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Why do you think Apple will go round? What benefit is there to round besides aesthetics? Going round means the watch face has to be much larger. Round elements can fit inside a square much easier than square elements inside round.

CMVfu-gWwAAnpT-.png

When has Apple ever placed aesthetics above functionality? /s
  • Reply 25 of 205
    jm6032 wrote: »
    I agree. I believe the the notion that the Apple Watch is a "watch" is a smoke screen. This is a wrist worn computer. I don't know how it will evolve, but it will gain functionality and a round screen on a computer loses too much real-estate that coult be used for the UI.

What's interesting is to see if the trolls who defended tradition-crusted Swiss luxury watch makers in these forums will come out and post the same defensive posts against this smartwatch. Or whether they secretly long for Samsung and Android, and are only attacking Apple Watch because it's Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 205
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 277member
    Well if they did copy Apple's user interface for apps, they copied the absolute worst part of of the Apple Watch. Apps on the Apple Watch are horrible, and the user experience is just as bad.

Example: I'm working out using the Activity app and I want to skip to the next song using the music glance. Here's the steps I need to go through:
    1. Click the digital crown. This brings me to the apps page.
    2. Click the digital crown again (without double clicking by going too fast). This recenters me in the app screen.
    3. Click the digital crown yet again. This brings up to the watch face.
    4. Swipe up to get to the glances view.
    5. Swipe to the glance you want.

If you want to do it again, there's a different, faster way, but it's still long and annoying. And the stupid friends long button is always there, waiting to be pressed accidentally since I nearly never want to send anyone a drawing or a tap.
  • Reply 27 of 205
    I kind of like it, looks like a real watch and not a black box.
  • Reply 28 of 205
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    john673 wrote: »
    come on guys, it's a round watch. I have a feeling apple might 'copy' the design in the next generation. The wheel has already been invented, and everyone is using it. Stop this nonsense

You're missing the point. No one is saying that a round icon on a smartwatch would have been impossible for Samsung to have conceived on their own, and we know that other smartwatches have used round icons. The issue is with Samsung's history of stealing and an image that clearly depicts a drastic change that has far too many UI similarities post-Apple Watch without any natural evolution from their pre-Apple Watch UI designs. To paraphrase Steve Jobs, "Samsung has no taste."
  • Reply 29 of 205
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,326member
    i can't take this anymore. can someone put Sammy out of it's misery?
  • Reply 30 of 205
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BadMonk View Post

i can't take this anymore. can someone put Sammy out of it's misery?

Sammy themselves are trying their best...

• Reply 31 of 205
    It looks no worse than the Apple Watch.
  • Reply 32 of 205
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Isn't that the equivalent of a thief saying, "I only stole a small sum of money, so it doesn't matter."

I am not condoning it in any way, shape or form.  As a few other rational posters have replied, although what Samsung has done is unlikely "court worthy", it clearly shows their copying of ideas, UI elements, colour scheme, and marketing from Apple.  They truly have no shame...but then again they never have, having been shown to copy many other products and companies long before the iPhone came along.

All I was saying is that this watch will tank regardless.

• Reply 33 of 205
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    That huge watch face looks comical on this normal sized woman. Good lord.

And that watchband looks so inconsequential next to that big face. They don't even look like they were designed to go together.
  • Reply 34 of 205
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,130member

Samesung is really on to something here. I think they will sell dozens of these.

• Reply 35 of 205
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    scoodog wrote: »
    It looks no worse than the Apple Watch.

How does it function? The Apple Watch functions extremely well.
  • Reply 36 of 205
    dws-2 wrote: »
    Well if they did copy Apple's user interface for apps, they copied the absolute worst part of of the Apple Watch. Apps on the Apple Watch are horrible, and the user experience is just as bad.

Example: I'm working out using the Activity app and I want to skip to the next song using the music glance. Here's the steps I need to go through:
    1. Click the digital crown. This brings me to the apps page.
    2. Click the digital crown again (without double clicking by going too fast). This recenters me in the app screen.
    3. Click the digital crown yet again. This brings up to the watch face.
    4. Swipe up to get to the glances view.
    5. Swipe to the glance you want.

If you want to do it again, there's a different, faster way, but it's still long and annoying. And the stupid friends long button is always there, waiting to be pressed accidentally since I nearly never want to send anyone a drawing or a tap.

Ok I must be doing it wrong then because when I use the workout app I just tap the digital crown once which brings me to the watch face and then swipe up to get the music glance. But most of the time I just use the little button on the side of my Bluetooth headphones to skip to the next song. I do the same thing when I want to change the volume. Couldn't be simpler.
  • Reply 37 of 205
    solipsismy wrote: »
    You're missing the point. No one is saying that a round icon on a smartwatch would have been impossible for Samsung to have conceived on their own, and we know that other smartwatches have used round icons. The issue is with Samsung's history of stealing and an image that clearly depicts a drastic change that has far too many UI similarities post-Apple Watch without any natural evolution from their pre-Apple Watch UI designs. To paraphrase Steve Jobs, "Samsung has no taste."

Well square icons on the circular watch face would look stupid and makes zero sense. if anything Samsung is copying LG more than Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 205
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Tizen - Bringing you round icons since 2013

• Reply 39 of 205
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why do you think Apple will go round? What benefit is there to round besides aesthetics? Going round means the watch face has to be much larger. Round elements can fit inside a square much easier than square elements inside round.

Here we go again. That's a pretty ironic statement considering aesthetics is at least half of what the Apple Brand brings to the table, and for my money it's considerably more. For Apple, aesthetics is at least as important a reason to do something as is functionality.

And once again, going round doesn't mean it has to be "much" larger. It also doesn't mean that the useable space can't be adapted to be better utilized than with a square.

• Reply 40 of 205
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by john673 View Post

come on guys, it's a round watch. I have a feeling apple might 'copy' the design in the next generation. The wheel has already been invented, and everyone is using it. Stop this nonsense

Really, are you for real. Seriously! The internal presentation is 100% Apple.

Apple is not making something round within the next 5 years; bank on it.