Samsung teases round smartwatch with heavy Apple Watch influence

Comments

• Reply 101 of 205
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    What I find pretty disgusting is how Damsung went though 6 generations of smart watches in a single year, seemingly attempting to shut out as many models and variations as possible before Apple released their version. I find that strategy shows a lot of contempt for the consumer.
  • Reply 102 of 205
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    slurpy wrote: »
    What I find pretty disgusting is how Damsung went though 6 generations of smart watches in a single year, seemingly attempting to shut out as many models and variations as possible before Apple released their version. I find that strategy shows a lot of contempt for the consumer.

Are you saying they threw smartwatch variations at a wall to see what ticks.

(I'll see myself out. Sorry.)
  • Reply 103 of 205
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,669member
    Samsung simply has no self respect or dignity. They will never break free of being viewed as a cheap knock off brand until they find a way to stand on their own and not lean on Apple for guidance and direction on every product they ship into markets that Apple plays in. At first it was annoying. Then it became pathetic. Now it is just sad. It must really suck never being quite good enough to stand on your own. I feel sorry for Samsung employees who must live with the stigma of always being a second rate company. What makes it sad is that Apple doesn't really have to go on the offensive against Samsung. Apple just has to be Apple and Samsung will follow along behind them like a lost puppy looking for acceptance. If Samsung tried to stand on their own I'd give them some credit. But they don't even try. They are lost.
  • Reply 104 of 205
    cnocbui wrote: »

And the Mac OS dock has long before that.

But Samsung didn't incorporate them into a WATCH until well after Apple did.
  • Reply 105 of 205
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Are you saying that through smartwatch variations at a wall to see what ticks.

(I'll see myself out. Sorry.)

I think he's saying that they threw them at the wall... Lol

But more of a matter of multiple guesses as to what Apple might do. And try to be "first"

It's their way.

Funny how NONE of them were even close.

Then Apple releases the real deal.

Now this.
  • Reply 106 of 205
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Giving the consumer choice shows contempt for the consumer?

• Reply 107 of 205
    paxman wrote: »
    To use a round display for a smart watch is the a ridiculous skeuomorph.

The imitation Swiss watch faces on these round displays makes me laugh. They are tacky as hell.
  • Reply 108 of 205
    Apple's R(esearch) and D(evelopment) Chief, Jony Ive

Samsung's R(eproduction) and D(uplication) Chief, Johnny Ive

LOL... but but but there's only one way to draw a weather icon.
  • Reply 109 of 205
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

And the Mac OS dock has long before that.

Round icons is a distinguishing feature of the Tizen OS.  The new watch runs Tizen, which had round icons before there was ever an Apple Watch.

The OSX dock had icons of numerous shapes.  This may come as a surprise, but there were round things long before there was an Apple.

• Reply 110 of 205

I like it. Remember guys competition only makes Apple better and boy the Apple Watch needs to improve.

• Reply 111 of 205
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Who buries the second body if both are killed? Perhaps a bad translation of the original saying?

The person who sold you the shovel .... for a fee.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=confucius+graves

• Reply 112 of 205
    Microsoft was there first with round smart designs:

End of the argument for round devices, really.
  • Reply 113 of 205
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,262member
    cnocbui wrote: »

Who buries the second body if both are killed? Perhaps a bad translation of the original saying?

The person who sold you the shovel .... for a fee.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=confucius+graves
    it is also a kindness to spare someone a lot of work and time if you dig your enemy's and your own grave. Shovel sales are booming don't you know and the shovel seller might not have the time.

I can't believe trolls derailed this thread so early by getting what appear to be young and naive chaps to focus on the shape of the watch itself. Not relevant.

It is the app elements, or more precisely the way they interact with the OS, that is the point. The tizen app icons are of course made round to avoid Apple legal, but to date everything else about them, the grid layout, the colour palette, shading, symbology etc bear an amazing resemblance to Apple apps in IOS. This has not mattered much so far as tizen devices haven't been selling much.

With respect to whether or not Samsung has copied the apple watch, it will be interesting how the apps behave. That will tell you how much Samsung has been informally outsourcing R&D to Apple.
  • Reply 114 of 205
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    It looks 'Samsung'.

LOL you nailed it!
  • Reply 115 of 205
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    john673 wrote: »
    come on guys, it's a round watch. I have a feeling apple might 'copy' the design in the next generation. The wheel has already been invented, and everyone is using it. Stop this nonsense

question - why are samsung's icons for the telephone green with a rotary phone handset? other than the fact that apple's is? there's no reason for it to be green. then why green? same with their other icons, clouds, etc... they copy apples design decisions, right down to icon colors. why?
  • Reply 116 of 205
    brucemc wrote: »
    It still is unlikely to sell many units though...so perhaps it doesn't matter.

And while a round device is of course poor for purely showing data in a square shape, I would not rule out a round Apple Watch in the future, simply from the perspective that new designs are very important to maintain the fashion side of the watch.  It is a computer on the wrist, but that computer (from its UI perspective) is not meant to replace the phone, which itself was not meant to replicate/replace all elements of the computer.  The Watch is about glances, little bits of information, communication, fitness, interfacing with the IoT including payments, etc.

For all the information that my Apple Watch shows me, there is nothing that couldn't be shown on a circular face, with the right UI design.  I am sure that Apple will invest tons to ensure they have the UI/UX right for a round version (sometime in the future), and will not implement it until they have an elegant solution for developers to accommodate different screen shapes.

how about a triangle screen? why not - the proper UI design can make it work too, right?
  • Reply 117 of 205
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Then explain how this ad appeared in TheVerge.com article dated August 2014:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/27/6076909/samsung-announces-gear-s

• Reply 118 of 205
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    dws-2 wrote: »
    Well if they did copy Apple's user interface for apps, they copied the absolute worst part of of the Apple Watch. Apps on the Apple Watch are horrible, and the user experience is just as bad.

Example: I'm working out using the Activity app and I want to skip to the next song using the music glance. Here's the steps I need to go through:
    1. Click the digital crown. This brings me to the apps page.
    2. Click the digital crown again (without double clicking by going too fast). This recenters me in the app screen.
    3. Click the digital crown yet again. This brings up to the watch face.
    4. Swipe up to get to the glances view.
    5. Swipe to the glance you want.

If you want to do it again, there's a different, faster way, but it's still long and annoying. And the stupid friends long button is always there, waiting to be pressed accidentally since I nearly never want to send anyone a drawing or a tap.

Ah quite interesting that you have to go through all those steps. Me I just open my workout app start it than open my music app and that's it. I leave my music app as my last open app so I can go back with a doble press of the digi crown. If I want to change a song I just doble press the digi crown and ready to change song. I really don't find it hard confusing or complicated. Apps are not perfect but so far they are pretty clean. Can't wait for watch OS 2.0 which will make them better and faster.
  • Reply 119 of 205
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    amoradala wrote: »
    it looks awful.

I'm no fan of Samsung but this seems like a ridiculous statement. It's a relatively clean and timeless look - something I can see Jony Ive designing. Though with a lot of these things, you can't really know without holding it - like the Apple Watch which looks and feels amazing up close (less so in early photos).
  • Reply 120 of 205
    dws-2 wrote: »

So much anger. Don't worry, I'm a friend of Apple. I bought the Apple Watch and plan to get the next one, too.

I just think it would be a better UI if one could swipe up to get music controls while in the workout app. I think there are multiple opportunities for other improvements, too.

and it will certainly improve. why wouldn't it?