Samsung teases round smartwatch with heavy Apple Watch influence

Comments

• Reply 141 of 205
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    techlover wrote: »
    Of all the cell phones I have ever owned since the late 90's, almost all had a VERY similar old school looking phone handset icon where the green phone handset button places or answers the call, and the red phone handset button ends or ignores the call. Even if they didn't have the phone handset itself, green is always answer (go) and red is always stop (hangup/ignore).

That green/red coloring and the old school handset shape has been around for a long, long, long time. I remember when I got this bad boy back in the day:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s500-pictures-520.php 

green handset, yes, but not green icon with white handset -- iOS icon for it which was immediately cloned. same thing with their weather icon in this story, and loads of others documented during the trial. Samsung copies Apple.
  • Reply 142 of 205
  • Reply 143 of 205
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Oh, for Pete's sake... the 7th-gen iPod Nano had round icons the year before that.

iPod Nano - Sep. 2012

Bada 2.0, July 2011

Bada was folded into Tizen and it looks like they unified the icon shape in favour of round ones instead of a mix.

• Reply 144 of 205
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Anything on this site about Samsung gets the clicks. AI knows it's good click bait.

Yep.  Interesting that the AI mods allow you to say this without editing out that statement whereas they removed it from my earlier comment with the Tizen/watch screenshot and the subsequent quotes of it.

• Reply 145 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Tizen - Bringing you round icons since 2013

Oh, for Pete's sake... the 7th-gen iPod Nano had round icons the year before that.

The Palm Pilot came out in 1997. Almost every single icon on the screen was a perfect circle.

• Reply 146 of 205
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Of all the cell phones I have ever owned since the late 90's, almost all had a VERY similar old school looking phone handset icon where the green phone handset button places or answers the call, and the red phone handset button ends or ignores the call. Even if they didn't have the phone handset itself, green is always answer (go) and red is always stop (hangup/ignore).

That green/red coloring and the old school handset shape has been around for a long, long, long time. I remember when I got this bad boy back in the day:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s500-pictures-520.php 

green handset, yes, but not green icon with white handset -- iOS icon for it which was immediately cloned. same thing with their weather icon in this story, and loads of others documented during the trial. Samsung copies Apple.

I don't dispute there is copying going on, there is a lot of copying going on. Everyone does it including Apple. But this minor trade dress stuff is a little out of hand and most of it was tossed out of court on appeal if I recall correctly.

Check out the Apple Watch activity monitor and then take a look at how identical it is to the Polar Clock. Another one that I mentioned in another thread is iOS9 with side by side apps and picture in picture video. Samsung has been doing that on phones and tablets for years. Of course there is the slide down window shade for Notifications, I wonder where Apple got that idea from. Both Android and Microsoft were doing flat UI design before iOS7. Those are just a few off the top of my head, but I think you get my point.

Lets not kid ourselves though. Apple changed the world the day they announced the iPhone. There is no doubt about that. But I am glad everyone copies each other. It makes companies make better products and gives consumers more choice. If other companies hadn't copied the touchscreen phone with larger form factors I wonder how much longer it would have been until Apple made 5.4 inch screen iPhone.

• Reply 147 of 205
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    techlover wrote: »
    The Palm Pilot came out in 1997. Almost every single icon on the screen was a perfect circle.
    Ha! good point. Here's a Palm powered Fossil smart watch from 2005, looks like they all stole from Palm! ;-)
  • Reply 148 of 205
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by john673 View Post

come on guys, it's a round watch. I have a feeling apple might 'copy' the design in the next generation. The wheel has already been invented, and everyone is using it. Stop this nonsense

Disagree.   In order to compete effectively, you differentiate, not copy.   Before the Apple Watch was released, there were some user-created mockups of a potential watch posted on this site that used a rectangular design that I thought was quite effective.   They were an evolution of the iPhone UI, rather than the completely different user-interface of the Apple Watch.   If Samsung wanted to compete, it would have made far more sense (IMO) to go in that direction.    Instead, it looks once again like an also-ran, a company that can't come up with any original ideas on its own, with the possible exception of pricing it slightly lower. 

• Reply 149 of 205
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

If the first thing you do is to is to go to the apps page, why not simply click on the iTunes app?

For whatever reason the iTunes app's Now Playing section doesn't always work for me — it just shows "---"  a lot of the time — but the Now Playing glance always works. It might be just my watch, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrey View Post

Ah quite interesting that you have to go through all those steps. Me I just open my workout app start it than open my music app and that's it. I leave my music app as my last open app so I can go back with a doble press of the digi crown. If I want to change a song I just doble press the digi crown and ready to change song. I really don't find it hard confusing or complicated. Apps are not perfect but so far they are pretty clean. Can't wait for watch OS 2.0 which will make them better and faster.

You have different (non-default) settings for your workout app that makes the app return to the clock face when using the activity app. I prefer to keep it running so I can just glance at my progress. I don't find any of this confusing — I just think it's cumbersome, sort of like on an old-fashioned flip phone where you have to hit the "2" key three times to get a "C".

Watch OS2 is a gigantic improvement. The apps are much, much more responsive, and the ability to use third-party complications is going to be huge. I think third-party complications are going to be a nice way to quickly open apps rather than using glances or scrolling through what I think is the awful app picker screen (mostly because I can never hit the icons when I'm on the move and because there should be some way to remove/hide all the junk apps I never use).

• Reply 150 of 205
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

I actually like the round format of this smartwatch. I wish Apple had chosen to go with this more watch-like shape with its design, it would of made it more unique and interesting. The Gear S2 will probably use that touch-bezel control design Samsung introduced a little while back. I'm an Apple fanboy but I prefer the look of this design to that of the Apple Watch. Maybe with future generations Apple will also introduce a round design. The classic Swiss and German luxury watch brands offer designs in both formats, why not Apple?

• Reply 151 of 205
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

And as a Sony Clie and (later) Treo user, I should have remembered that... touché!

• Reply 152 of 205
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    1983 wrote: »
    I actually like the round format of this smartwatch. I wish Apple had chosen to go with this more watch-like shape with its design, it would of made it more unique and interesting. The Gear S2 will probably use that touch-bezel control design Samsung introduced a little while back. I'm an Apple fanboy but I prefer the look of this design to that of the Apple Watch. Maybe with future generations Apple will also introduce a round design.

I agree that round watch face has an attractive quality to it, but I also agree with others that say that round isn't the best way for a watch face which 1) has a lot more information to display across innumerable apps, and 2) that also requires the user to touch it for input.
    The classic Swiss and German luxury watch brands offer designs in both formats, why not Apple?

They aren't even in the same ballpark for comparison. For Apple to also include a round watch face they would have to create an additional UI paradigm, rewrite all their apps to support this paradigm (which will be more difficult than a different a different size display or a change to the y-axis to alter the aspect ratio), then they have to add all those changes to Xcode with new templates, APIs, documentation, and then get developers to support both. It's possible, but I think it's highly unlikely. What does a traditional watch maker do switch from round to square and vice versa? They change he casing. They can even use all the same mechanics if the want to, and there is no SW or 3rd-party developers to consider.
  • Reply 153 of 205
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

I don't dispute there is copying going on, there is a lot of copying going on. Everyone does it including Apple. But this minor trade dress stuff is a little out of hand and most of it was tossed out of court on appeal if I recall correctly.

Check out the Apple Watch activity monitor and then take a look at how identical it is to the Polar Clock. Another one that I mentioned in another thread is iOS9 with side by side apps and picture in picture video. Samsung has been doing that on phones and tablets for years. Of course there is the slide down window shade for Notifications, I wonder where Apple got that idea from. Both Android and Microsoft were doing flat UI design before iOS7. Those are just a few off the top of my head, but I think you get my point.

Lets not kid ourselves though. Apple changed the world the day they announced the iPhone. There is no doubt about that. But I am glad everyone copies each other. It makes companies make better products and gives consumers more choice. If other companies hadn't copied the touchscreen phone with larger form factors I wonder how much longer it would have been until Apple made 5.4 inch screen iPhone.

Most of the things your saying existed outside smart phones, on the desktop, or in Iphone jailbreak before getting on Android phones.

It is not copying one aspect that grates, its the constant blatant copying of many many different little aspects to clearly create something that instantly looks like a kinda Apple product. They're not as shameless as Xiaomi, but that's a pretty low bar...

• Reply 154 of 205
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    D
    dws-2 wrote: »
    For whatever reason the iTunes app's Now Playing section doesn't always work for me — it just shows "---"  a lot of the time — but the Now Playing glance always works. It might be just my watch, though.

You have different (non-default) settings for your workout app that makes the app return to the clock face when using the activity app. I prefer to keep it running so I can just glance at my progress. I don't find any of this confusing — I just think it's cumbersome, sort of like on an old-fashioned flip phone where you have to hit the "2" key three times to get a "C".

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Watch OS2 is a gigantic improvement. The apps are much, much more responsive, and the ability to use third-party complications is going to be huge. I think third-party complications are going to be a nice way to quickly open apps rather than using glances or scrolling through what I think is the awful app picker screen (mostly because I can never hit the icons when I'm on the move and because there should be some way to remove/hide all the junk apps I never use).</span>

Negative. I keep it in the workout app. From there I can doble press the digi crown and go back to my last open app wich I make sure is music. I just open my music app after I start my workout app and leave it there. The watch automatically goes back to workout app living my music app as my last opened app. Works good.
  • Reply 155 of 205
    1983 wrote: »
    I actually like the round format of this smartwatch. I wish Apple had chosen to go with this more watch-like shape with its design, it would of made it more unique and interesting. The Gear S2 will probably use that touch-bezel control design Samsung introduced a little while back. I'm an Apple fanboy but I prefer the look of this design to that of the Apple Watch. Maybe with future generations Apple will also introduce a round design. The classic Swiss and German luxury watch brands offer designs in both formats, why not Apple?
    I don't see any reason why Apple won't eventually offer a round watch. It's already been demonstrated that there is no significant compromise of the data presentation in the same height watch, if a developer wanted to, they could easily letterbox their rectangular interface for use on a round watch. Or they could offer an alternate screen presentation to take advantage of the unused areas, just like during the conversion between the 3.5" and 4" displays, where apps reconfigured displays based on the iPhone model being installed upon. Is a round UI a little harder? Sure, but since when has Apple been concerned with third party inconvenience. If the platform sells, Developers will jump on it, though initially there will be a period where developers may not rush to adopt the initial support -- just like with every UI change Apple implements.

As for the Swiss and German watchmakers, and watch makers in general, they will most likely get their feet wet with smart watches by adapting their traditional round designs. Apple might find itself the sole rectangular smart watchmaker, if they don't offer a round model. Of course Traditional watchmakers adoption will be slow, and careful, and chances are it won't ever rival Apple's UI designs, but the hardware designs will be as high quality as they always have been, and will likely carve out a significant portion of the smartwatch market just by offering the same variety they always have, especially if Apple only ever offers variations every few years of the same basic rectangular design.

There's a lot to be said for round watches from an aesthetic perspective. I don't care for the square smartwatch format because the device tends to look like a cuff rather than a bracelet or a handsome piece of jewelry. And Apple's minimalist choice has basically reduced the watch to an unremarkable black rectangle, which is best distinguished by shape considering the absence of design cues, most notably the face when off, which is the majority of the time.

People like to point to the difficulty of adapting text-based software to a round format as a reason Apple will never do it, but the fact round smart watches already exist, suggests it's not that hard, and as Apple has demonstrated many, many times before, they always implement the same concepts by competitors in significantly superior ways. Moreover, Apple has gone out of their way to stress the fashion, and aesthetics of the watch beyond anything they have attempted prior, as well as understanding the importance of customer expectation of choice for products they wear, and ultimately the tiny interface itself suggests that Siri will ultimately be the primary interface, elminating the need for significant blocks of text, something that Ive himself has already discouraged by stressing the Watches primary purpose to communicate via glances, something graphics do very well, but not so much substantial blocks of text. The watch is a new class of device that Apple is responsible for expanding and bring to the forefront of society, and I'm confident people will eventually find the appropriate place for use in their lives -- and that's not so much reading lots of imformation directly on the watch, but getting discreet, key pieces of info, which if more is required the wearer pulls out their phone, or relies on Siri to communicate.
  • Reply 156 of 205
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Why do you think Apple will go round? What benefit is there to round besides aesthetics? Going round means the watch face has to be much larger. Round elements can fit inside a square much easier than square elements inside round.

CMVfu-gWwAAnpT-.png

This is something you wear. You may not, but many people care about fashion. Aesthetics become a little bit more important.

I would love a round ? Watch, even if it means less usable area for a rectangular app interface.
  • Reply 157 of 205
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    D
    sog35 wrote: »
    Sure. Right after they release a round iPhone

Do you wear your iPhone like jewelry?

If you can't conceive of what the previous poster is saying then I that is pretty sad.
  • Reply 158 of 205
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    thompr wrote: »
    This is something you wear. You may not, but many people care about fashion. Aesthetics become a little bit more important.

I would love a round ? Watch, even if it means less usable area for a rectangular app interface.

I have one. I wear it every day, never once have I thought I have some eye sore on my wrist,
  • Reply 159 of 205
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I find it highly amusing that some people think a round Apple Watch would be more unique and interesting. If you're wearing an Apple Watch everyone will know it because it's the only one that won't be round (sorry I think Pebble's days are numbered...as people find charging the watch isn't as big of a pain in the ass as they thought...and Apple and others improve battery life in their offerings). Look at the Android OEM space. From afar would you really be able to tell the difference between an LG Urbane, Huawei or Moto 360? To me the fact that all these OEMs are rushing to get round watches out there just means they're more obsessed with differentiating from Apple but in the process we just get a sea of sameness from all of them. And now Samsung is joining them. I don't see how rotating a circular bezel is going to be better or any more clever than Apple's digital crown. IMO the only time these round watches look nice is in fake PR shots displaying a skeuomorphic watch face. But smart watches are about much more than displaying a faux analog watch face.
  • Reply 160 of 205
    thompr wrote: »

There's no real reason that has to happen. This graphic below shows the 38mm display fits easily into the 42mm watch without any changes. And I don't see anybody complaining that the 38mm display is too small to use, or that they are sacrificing anything, except battery life. That said, there's no reason why a clever engineering design couldn't accommodate the same size display as the watch size, ie current 42mm display within a 42mm watch. And as this example shows, the usable area of the round watch is probably the same or greater than a rectangular watch as the UI would be tweaked to take advantage of the entire display area. In some cases it would allow for more imformation or greater size as the graphic below demonstrates. In the end something you wear is an aesthetic choice, and if there's a demand for a round watch, I don't see why Apple wouldn't build it even if it isn't as ideal as rectangular for displaying text block -- the last thing anybody should really be using a 1" display for. Of course if Apple wants to distinguish itself as a rectangular watch among its competitors round watches (assuming that's what they have planned), so it's customers can ensure everyone knows they're wearing an ?Watch, hen so be it. I think Apple made the exact right choice in releasing their first effort as a rectangular design. It's the most obvious, and easiest choice to do well. Once they clearly define what it does, and how it's used, then they can start to push the envelope. And everything Apple has said leads me to believe there will be a round watch if there's a demand for it.