Apple hires senior Tesla engineer as 'Project Titan' evidence mounts

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 128
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyo2222 View Post

It's not a fake grill. It's a plastic cover for various sensors hidden behind. 

But, people are used to cars looking a certain way.

This is what sets Apple apart. They could do away with this in a way that quickly becomes the new trend in car design.

• Reply 122 of 128

No self driving system is going to be smart enough to avoid any possible collision when there are other drivers in the fray.

• Reply 123 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayla036 View Post

No self driving system is going to be smart enough to avoid any possible collision when there are other drivers in the fray.

How can you be sure about this? Maybe it is not there yet, but that does not mean such systems won't show up in the future.

They once said this about ACC as well, you know.

• Reply 124 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ayla036 View Post

How can you be sure about this? Maybe it is not there yet, but that does not mean such systems won't show up in the future.

They once said this about ACC as well, you know.

I'm sure the self-driving vehicle will be problem-free, we only have to do a couple simple things during testing to insure a completely safe transition:

1. Only do the actual driver-free testing in the areas where the engineers and management's families live and go to school.

2. Only do the driver-freetesting on large straight trucks...

I can't see how this could end badly.

• Reply 125 of 128
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,671member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Why would Apple even consider buying Tesla when for about the same price, Apple can buy ALL OF BMW!

Tesla would be grossly overpriced.  BMW is CHEAP at $54 billion.  BMW can be a subsidiary to Apple. Apple's design staff can then go to work to improve BMW's products.  

Tesla loses money.

BMW MAKES $6 BILLION in PROFIT a year.  Huge difference.  Apple loves profit.

BMW makes that profit on conventional tech. Apple loves future tech.

Also, they buy companies for technology, people, or potential. Not for the profit they're making at the time.

• Reply 126 of 128

The "next big thing" would be when Elan Musk takes the stage on Apple keynote to talk about the future of car industry...

• Reply 127 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

BMW makes that profit on conventional tech. Apple loves future tech.

Also, they buy companies for technology, people, or potential. Not for the profit they're making at the time.

They are consistently doing well. However, I think the Quandt family is not in there for the money alone; I have the feeling they would not even remotely consider letting BMW become the car branch of Apple.

• Reply 128 of 128
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Why would Apple even consider buying Tesla when for about the same price, Apple can buy ALL OF BMW!

Tesla would be grossly overpriced.  BMW is CHEAP at $54 billion.  BMW can be a subsidiary to Apple. Apple's design staff can then go to work to improve BMW's products.  

Tesla loses money.

BMW MAKES $6 BILLION in PROFIT a year.  Huge difference.  Apple loves profit.

Is that even a real suggestion? It's completely false. BMW's market cap is $54B. That doesn't mean it would cost $54 billion to buy out all shareholders. BMW isn't looking for a buyer, and it's likely that Apple would pay a high premium on that one.

It conflicts with Apple's strategies throughout the entire life of the company. The only exception might be NeXT. Apple hasn't attempted to merge any really large companies or acquire large subsidiaries, and I don't see a reason why BMW would change that. I don't know think they would buy Tesla, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Apple acquire smaller teams or companies that don't have that level of brand recognition. Apple is usually a discerning buyer.