New, polished Apple TV interface said to 'blow away' existing smart TVs

Comments

• Reply 61 of 241
    afrodriafrodri Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

Wow what a load of bull he speaks. We were promised hover boards 30 years ago and he reckons we'll have a pool of self-driving cars to hail in 18 months time. Lmfao

In fairness, he says that the self-driving cars and the "pool" will be ubiquitous in 10 years and just that the change will start in 2017.

• Reply 62 of 241
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I'm actually surprised that TVs today even come with a built-in tuner. (Who uses that?)

People who want uncompressed OTA quality.

Yeah, but you can get a tuner with all kinds of extra features built-in, in every form, from a USB thumb, to a TiVo box, to everything in-between. I am OTA. But I never use the tuner "inside" of my TV.

• Reply 63 of 241
    bobschlob wrote: »
    One thing that this article brings to mind (and I've said this before from time to time) is; I think the purchase of PA Semi is the greatest corporate purchase Apple ever made. Even better than SoundJam.

I'd put FingerWorks in there ...

And FoundationDB -- which may begin to strut its stuff RSN!
  • Reply 64 of 241
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

One thing that this article brings to mind (and I've said this before from time to time) is; I think the purchase of PA Semi is the greatest corporate purchase Apple ever made. Even better than SoundJam.

Certainly has given them an edge

• Reply 65 of 241
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I'd like them removed completely. The 21st century TV should be a monitor. Everything else is superfluous to its core purpose. If you want a great looking 4K UHD TV with some shitty speakers, go for it.

Steve Jobs would spit in the face of such a design. Give everyone the best product. Don't settle for crap. Sound is so fundamental to the quality of a TV, movie watching experience everyone should get it. Crap sound shouldn't be an option. Yes, I feel strongly about this.

• Reply 66 of 241
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yes, but the built in speakers are becoming smaller and smaller and smaller. It's getting to a stage where you literally have to add on a soundbar. My point is the TV maker should build this into the product, because without it the product is unfinished.

Do I think all TVs sold now are unfinished products? Yes I do.

I think Sol is right.  When you can have screens you just hang on the wall like a painting then it makes sense to make them just a dumb monitor and have things like sound systems and tuners/processors in separate boxes that just stream  the picture to the screen.  Decent speakers require some cabinet volume, weight and rigidity to do their job well.  Screen tech has gone the opposite way so it's time to just separate the two as trying to integrate speakers with the display is just holding back  both elements from being better.

• Reply 67 of 241
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I'd like them removed completely.

You're a geek. That's not he product I have in mind. The product I'm thinking of gives the best possible experience to everyone who buys it. And part of the marketing strategy with such a product is educating the average viewer on the importance of sound and why Apple went the extra mile in this regard. Give people what they don't even know they need but once they get it they cannot live without it.

• Reply 68 of 241

will see if it's going to blow away or just blow;)

I'm more interested in the new iPhone 

• Reply 69 of 241
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I hope it's 1/10th as good as it sounds.

Do you think this AppleTV "blow everything else away" interface is the result of the "I finally cracked it" eureka moment Steve supposedly had that was disclosed in Isaccson's biography?
  • Reply 70 of 241
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    ireland wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Steve Jobs would spit in the face of such a design. </span>
    Give<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> </span>
    everyone<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> the best </span>
    product. Don't settle for crap. Sound is so fundamental to the quality of a TV, movie watching experience everyone should get it. Crap sound shouldn't be an option. Yes, I feel strongly about this.

1) Now you know what Steve would do. Perfect¡

2) So what universal speaker system fits for this universal TV size, universal TV resolution, universal TV display type, and universal TV inputs? I'll give you a hint: THERE ISN'T ONE! This is why something you hang on your wall, put some sort of furniture, on the floor, or even hang from the season needs to not be limited to your irrational (and wrong) Jobsian ideal. Did you even consider a projector in your throught process? Should they also contain speakers even though they aren't even ideally placed? How many speaker channels will there be in your one-size-fits-all model?

3) The only way I want to see Apple enter the TV business if it comes with standard that will make all media extender appliances work with all TV panels and other HW features simply by plugging a high-bandwidth cable into the devices. I never even want to see the TV's shitty's UI after the initial setup.

PS: If you truly want to communicate then why allow this to happen?

• Reply 71 of 241
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I'd like them removed completely. The 21st century TV should be a monitor. Everything else is superfluous to its core purpose. If you want a great looking 4K UHD TV with some shitty speakers, go for it, if you want to also get one with built-in motion sensors, multiple mics, cameras, and other sensor, then get it, but the TV today should be start out as just a display. It's this 20th century thinking that has kept the HEC such an archaic mess for all these decades, and it's something I hope Apple can start to fix come Sept. 9th.

I don't think having built in components is such a bad idea. You can always add better speakers later, perhaps wifi. Things like cameras, motion sensors, tuners, wifi and USB ports, etc are nice because they are concealed inside the TV. They take up hardly any space and cost next to nothing. If you want to add all that stuff in later you are going to pay a lot more and have boxes and wires all over the place.  

• Reply 72 of 241
    ireland wrote: »
    That's not he product I have in mind. The product I'm thinking of gives the best possible experience to everyone who buys it.

Your "no compromise" desire tends to result in nothing but compromises, which is part of the reason it's 2015 the HEC is still set in a 20th century mindset.
  • Reply 73 of 241
    Do you think this AppleTV "blow everything else away" interface is the result of the "I finally cracked it" eureka moment Steve supposedly had that was disclosed in Isaccson's biography?

I hope, but with so little info and having been waiting for my long list of wishes to happen for so long I don't know what to expect.
  • Reply 74 of 241
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member

I absolutely do. Steve knew that the interface and content were the biggest issues. How to package them in hardware is important, but who doubts that Apple can easily do well at that? Steve was working on the interface magic.
  • Reply 75 of 241
    mstone wrote: »
    I don't think having built in components is such a bad idea. You can always add better speakers later, perhaps wifi. Things like cameras, motion sensors, tuners, wifi and USB ports, etc are nice because they are concealed inside the TV. They take up hardly any space and cost next to nothing. If you want to add all that stuff in later you are going to pay a lot more and have boxes and wires all over the place.

I never said it was a bad idea and I even gave many examples of things I'd like to see built into a modern HEC monitor, which you quoted. What I take issue with is [@]Ireland[/@] demanding all HEC monitors come with great speakers.
  • Reply 76 of 241
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

I'm intrigued more by this Apple TV upgrade than the upcoming iPhone one. I'm still hoping it will incorporate an A9 rather than an A8 though. If it does we might just receive PS3 level graphics after all...I mean if the new iPhones and maybe the new iPads are getting the A9, why not Apple TV too...they're all being released concurrently as new products anyway. Mind you according to the rumour mill, Apple has been sitting on this new ATV design for a while now, which if true means it was probably already developed and signed off prior to the new iPhones...thus the A8.

• Reply 77 of 241
    Quote:

PS: If you truly want to communicate then why allow this to happen?

The WYSIWYG editor on this site does have a few annoyances but you can edit the html if needed. I prefer it over the old BB code editor and I believe most people on this site use it. That is why you struggle so much dealing with it in the BB editor. Your suffering is self imposed.

• Reply 78 of 241
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member

Apple is in a position to completely redefine "television". With the correct wiring in place, the divide between traditional commercial content and consumer-created content can be closed. Imagine a world where "YouTube" is not a separate service, its capabilities are just part of your television like any other content source. Talk about a direct hit to Google where it hurts! Apple could deliver that to the hands and living rooms of millions of people, if they do it right.

• Reply 79 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Imagine a world where "YouTube" is not a separate service, its capabilities are just part of your television like any other content source. Talk about a direct hit to Google where it hurts! 

What? You think Google has no control over how YouTube content is delivered? There will be ads.

• Reply 80 of 241
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Perhaps, but the tuner is required by US government mandates.

Definitely is not required. If you think there is a market for a "monitor" you are free to make and sell one.