Apple unveils $799 12.9" iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil accessories

Comments

• Reply 141 of 235
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    revenant wrote: »
    What fraction of 1.57 is 1.57?

1/1.
  • Reply 142 of 235
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

I wonder if the pen is actually thicker than the iPad Pro. Besides, it is wasted space in the chassis. I have to think the pen ships with a regular USB charger and the plug into the iPad is for quick emergency situations only.

Exactly... a 15 second "bump" in the iPad will run the pen for about 30 minutes.

It's is just for an "oh sh_t the pen battery is empty" moment. plug it in count to 15 and off you go for another half hour's use

• Reply 143 of 235
    Go back and look at the accessories released with the original iPad. Apple released a wireless keyboard with a dock to hold the iPad in the vertical position.
  • Reply 144 of 235
    I was hoping for a focus on Audio. Oh well next time maybe.

Still love it though.

You didn't see the FOUR speakers that auto-sense orientation and adjust output accordingly?

Alrighty then...
  • Reply 145 of 235
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Don't know how people read into anything that's a statement in absolute as to mean something else. How many different meanings can there be for "nobody wants a stylus"?

Yeah nobody wanfs to be forced to use a stylus in order to operate their phone or tablet. That's exactly what Steve meant. And notice Apple call this a pencil not a stylus. The purpose of this accessory is for drawing, writing and marking up documents not navigating the operating system.
  • Reply 146 of 235
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I am STOKED that they put in an A9X processor into this iPad.

And I don't have any issues with a stylus that needs charging. That just means it has superior electronics to measure things like tilt and pressure, and (if what Apple claims is correct) ridiculous precision and speed. Those are worth it to lose a little in usability by having to charge your stylus.

Wacom has a batteryless stylus with all those features AND an eraser.
  • Reply 147 of 235
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    elehcdn wrote: »

What Steve meant was that you didn't want an operating system that required a stylus to work. Maybe people forget that back in the early mobile device days (i.e.. Palm Pilots) the digitizers were so primitive, you had to use a stylus to get a point that the digitizer could recognize.

On the iPad Pro, it is still operational with just a finger, but for more precision, a stylus is now an OPTION. That doesn't preclude the fact that without a stylus, you still have more than 95% functionality. Compare that to the arguments about the Surface and the keyboard ... after all how functional is the Surface without a keyboard?

Also do you ever see anyone using the Surface without the kickstand or in portrait mode? The Surface is a laptop pure and simple. I would call it a compromised laptop because of the not so great keyboard and trackpad. I also like that Apple's keyboard cover has an extra fold in it so it's not the keyboard keys resting on top of the display. Less marks that have to wiped off the display.
  • Reply 148 of 235
    welshdog wrote: »
    Seeing the Microsoft guys there and the nice features of the iPad Office apps, I have to wonder if something has changed at MS in their attitude towards Apple.  I bet the new leader has told his minions to stop treating Apple as an enemy and to find ways of cooperating with them, thus profiting.

Agreed, but I'm disappointed Apple made no mention of the iWork suite. Is it being left to rot?
  • Reply 149 of 235
    Wacom Cintiq who?

This is less expensive, higher resolution (?) and more compact. Lacks an eraser on the stylus, though (unless I'm missing mention of that??).
  • Reply 150 of 235
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The main problem with the Surface Pro is the OS. Then start comparing the hardware. Not even a close call. MS are backing the iPad Pro as they know it's the only way they have a chance of getting a small part of the mobile profits.

For me is the opposite, the main benefit of the Surface is the OS.  For example, I use a docked Surface Pro and run the full Office 2013.  Then when I take it with me, I can have the mobile version of MS Office .  With the iPad Pro I still need a notebook / PC to complete my work. 

BTW, have you consider that Apple may have invited MS, since they were ashamed to show the iWorks apps to their possible enterprise customers?

• Reply 151 of 235
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    Expensive - but very intriguing.
    At that price, I imagine a lot of people will wait for revision 2, as it's competing in dollars with a macbook.

I would love to have one thou. Especially with Pencil.
    Does the keyboard case come with a holder for it?

My only complaint would be the battery life. 10 hours = 6-7 hours if your actually doing anything interesting.

Still... it's a win.
  • Reply 152 of 235
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Seeing the Microsoft guys there and the nice features of the iPad Office apps, I have to wonder if something has changed at MS in their attitude towards Apple.  I bet the new leader has told his minions to stop treating Apple as an enemy and to find ways of cooperating with them, thus profiting.

Or maybe Apple come to their senses, and instead of showing a poor demo with the iWorks apps, called MS to save the day.  I think that would make more sense.

• Reply 153 of 235
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

What Steve meant was that you didn't want an operating system that required a stylus to work. Maybe people forget that back in the early mobile device days (i.e.. Palm Pilots) the digitizers were so primitive, you had to use a stylus to get a point that the digitizer could recognize.

On the iPad Pro, it is still operational with just a finger, but for more precision, a stylus is now an OPTION. That doesn't preclude the fact that without a stylus, you still have more than 95% functionality.

The same reasoning can also apply to iMacs or MacBooks with touchscreens.  Every time that discussion comes up, there are always some people who act like having a touchscreen automatically means their keyboard and mouse will stop working.

Quote:

Compare that to the arguments about the Surface and the keyboard ... after all how functional is the Surface without a keyboard?

Some people also like to envision a dual OS device which runs OS X when a keyboard and mouse are attached, and runs iOS apps when used without the keyboard.  Wouldn't that cause the same fragmented user experience issues as the Surface?

• Reply 154 of 235

Quote:

And yet with the Surface Pro, MS couldn't get Adobe to revamp their whole line of applications to support the new stylus features offering very little incentive to use their stylus. As a matter of fact, they didn't even have their own software team investigate ways to better integrate the tablet experience for Office unlike the Mac Office team. MS beat Apple in hardware and didn't bother to provide decent tools for them. It's like designing a new hammer to drive in the same old nails. In Apple's case, not only did they release new hardware, they made them viable by providing new applications that actually enhanced the experience.

I think you haven't seen this,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PlLR9ANGsOo

• Reply 155 of 235
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanVM View Post

BTW, have you consider that Apple may have invited MS, since they were ashamed to show the iWorks apps to their possible enterprise customers?

Apple didn't seem to have that problem with IBM:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/02/09/apple-controls-presentation-in-ibm-partnership-as-salespeople-use-macs-keynote-to-push-ios-in-enterprise

• Reply 156 of 235

Based in the link, they only showed Keynote.  That was in February, and 7 months later they don't even mentioned any of the iWorks apps.  Things change so quickly. 

• Reply 157 of 235
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanVM View Post

Quote:

I think you haven't seen this,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PlLR9ANGsOo

That video talks about future product. The funny part is that this is what they delivered for the iPad Pro and demoed today. Is it running on a Surface yet?

• Reply 158 of 235
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Don't know how people read into anything that's a statement in absolute as to mean something else. How many different meanings can there be for "nobody wants a stylus"?

Yeah nobody wanfs to be forced to use a stylus in order to operate their phone or tablet. That's exactly what Steve meant. And notice Apple call this a pencil not a stylus. The purpose of this accessory is for drawing, writing and marking up documents not navigating the operating system.

He's not alive to tell us what he meant, so don't flatter yourself thinking that you know. Stylus or pencil is just semantics. Changing the name changes nothing.
  • Reply 159 of 235
    Quote:

That video talks about future product. The funny part is that this is what they delivered for the iPad Pro and demoed today. Is it running on a Surface yet?

This video is 10 months old,

Here are details of Lightroom on the SP3,

http://blog.surface.com/2015/04/the-new-adobe-lightroom-cc-designed-for-surface-pro-3/

And here are more details on the other Adobe CC applications,

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/creative-cloud-and-microsoft-surface-pro-3/

Short answer is yes, it runs in the SP3 today.

• Reply 160 of 235
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    welshdog wrote: »

Well, CEO change definitively is showing plethora of changes all over... but they are also competing as much as ever, if not more. MS has just signed "Surface Enterprise Initiative" with Dell and HP, where these two OEMs will be selling... Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (and, I'm guessing, Surface 3 and incoming Surface Pro 4). Don't know the details of the deal, but I would expect it will present Surface to more corporate users who were/are traditionally Dell/HP oriented.