Apple unveils $799 12.9" iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil accessories

Comments

• Reply 161 of 235
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    captain j wrote: »
    Please provide a link to an Apple made keyboard case prior to the Surface being released.

It's just ironic that this iPad Pro takes so many cues from the Surface and looked a lot like it too especially after Apple has justifiably gone after others who make products that look like Apple's

Well... it is still an iPad, and it still uses mobile OS and so on. Yes there are elements that MS has introduced for Surface before Apple did for iPad, but then again, Surface's form factor is equally inspired by modern tablets, of which iPad was the first.

If you want to see real copying, check Lenovo MIIX 700... now that thing doesn't just resemble Surface Pro 3, that thing IS Surface Pro 3. With Lenovo logo on it.
  • Reply 162 of 235
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Well this is nonsense, iPad is very much a real computer! The implementation of file handling is just terrible however.

Yes, but it still is limited... I think. Will iPad Pro be able to do multiple screens? How is printer support? Is there a dock or any other simple way to use it at the desk with full size keyboard and mouse? Among other things.

In 2015, we have been selling more Surface Pro 3 than all other laptops and desktops together. Granted, we are small IT company in NZ, so I'm not saying that our experience is world-wide truth, but it still is accurate observation from where we are... almost all of them were delivered with docking station. Docks are connected to gigabit LAN, 2 screens, USB/wireless keyboard and mouse... on occasion, local USB printer and storage. In essence, SP3 can fully replace desktop PC functionality with docking station, and still can be un-docked and used on the go, be it as tablet or laptop. And it takes less space on the desk ;)
  • Reply 163 of 235
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Agreed, but I'm disappointed Apple made no mention of the iWork suite. Is it being left to rot?

Because nobody uses them as Microsoft Office is free on iOS and offered for a low price if purchased through Work.

• Reply 164 of 235
    elehcdn wrote: »

Really? Every company that I have been at pass out individual laptops to employees (we are talking about portable devices here.) IT does have a root account, but the iOS eco-system takes care of that by having deployment software. I really haven't seen multiple employees using the same laptops.

Well, term "hod-desking" exists for a reason.

While majority of our customers do have dedicated computer per employee, some do hot-desk. Health practitioners, who usually work more than one shift. Or, one of our large customers is marketing firm that gets contractors for time-limited marketing campaigns, also working 2 shifts - some of contractors are part-time, in addition, so they end up having 2 - 4 different workers per machine during the day. Supermarkets, warehouses... Other scenarios, too.

It is not bad thing to have. It would open some additional opportunities for iPad Pro deployment.
  • Reply 165 of 235
    So the pencil only works with the pro? Do we have to wait for 2 more years until the force touch trickles down the iPad mini to get the pencil?
  • Reply 166 of 235
    Out curiosity any one see a market for this running OS X?
  • Reply 167 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Well, CEO change definitively is showing plethora of changes all over... but they are also competing as much as ever, if not more. MS has just signed "Surface Enterprise Initiative" with Dell and HP, where these two OEMs will be selling... Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (and, I'm guessing, Surface 3 and incoming Surface Pro 4). Don't know the details of the deal, but I would expect it will present Surface to more corporate users who were/are traditionally Dell/HP oriented.

Funny how a comic artist in 2012 created this and it really happened.

What's sad is what he predicted is so true.

• Reply 168 of 235
    Too bad. I think the iPad Pro just missed the mark in terms of features. Apple tried to copy the Microsoft Surface Pro, but they missed one key feature. Here is what I mean:
    http://gizmorap.com/2015/09/10/ipad-pro-features-just-miss-the-mark/
  • Reply 169 of 235
    vision33r wrote: »

Yeah it's the apple/tech double standered
  • Reply 170 of 235
    Personally I've always liked styluses on tablet PCs. Microsoft's original tablet PC used a stylus and it was very useful for both writing and drawing. When Apple copied the tablet idea from Microsoft I was surprised that they made a big deal about no stylus.

Now Apple copies Microsoft once again. It's no big deal. The Surface Pro is an excellent product but it lacks the marketing necessary to become mass market.

The iPad Pro is also Apple's answer to all the 2 in 1 laptop/tablets on the market. They don't want to put a touchscreen on the Macbook and this is the next best thing.

Some people complain that Apple is always copying other companies but it's really Apple looking at why appealing product categories fail due to sub-standard products and correcting the issues that the inventors failed to address.
  • Reply 171 of 235
    danvm wrote: »
    This video is 10 months old,
    https://youtu.be/y3CLHc7mQAc?t=13m58s

Here are details of Lightroom on the SP3,
    http://blog.surface.com/2015/04/the-new-adobe-lightroom-cc-designed-for-surface-pro-3/

And here are more details on the other Adobe CC applications,
    http://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/creative-cloud-and-microsoft-surface-pro-3/

Short answer is yes, it runs in the SP3 today.

Well, I was only following the link you posted, but in follow up research, it doesn't seem as though anyone is particularly impressed or is really using the Adobe applications ... Or maybe people aren't willing to lay out for a $500 subscription to try and use a handicapped version on the SP3.

My point still remains that Apple had a vision for how this was going to be implemented and rolled it out along with the hardware. MS released the Surface products without any good reasons that people should move to the platform. In the end, I somehow think that any Adobe support for the Surface will just be another time MS gets steamrollered by a company that does a better job of envisioning and implementing a game changing work flow. Then again, with MS jumping on board with Office upgrades for the iPad Pro, maybe they already realize that.
  • Reply 172 of 235
    Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

What's sad is what he predicted is so true.

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Yeah it's the apple/tech double standered

Could have sworn that Apple had a patent for a keyboard+cover long before Microsoft made the Surface and that Microsoft licensed it to make said product.

Edit: YEP. THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED.

And another, it seems, later, which turned more directly into the product they made.

• Reply 173 of 235
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There were tablets before the iPad. Apple doesn't create things, they take a new approach to current devices.

Correct. Remember: everyone predicted doom for the original iPad in 2010 because:

1. It was a giant iPod Touch

2. Nobody had succeeded in selling tablets 

It's perhaps flattering to Apple when it is so completely reinvents a category that people forget how things used to be.

• Reply 174 of 235
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Could have sworn that Apple had a patent for a keyboard+cover long before Microsoft made the Surface and that Microsoft licensed it to make said product.

Edit: YEP. THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED.

And another, it seems, later, which turned more directly into the product they made.

What is the current sentiment towards patents these days?  Is it First to invent, First to file, First to ship?

The standard seems to change depending on which company people are talking about.

• Reply 175 of 235
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrace View Post

Well, it'll be interesting to see what Apple does with the iPad Pro.  But if I had to choose one and only one and I had to choose today...Surface Pro 3 wins.  But neither one is perfect.

I'm looking forward to getting a Surface Pro 4 with SkyLake i7 and at least 256 GB of disk space (probably 192 GB after Win 10).

I need a Windows phone for work and it looks like the best of wintel laptops.

But the iPad Pro looks like a nice Tablet and will get a lot of great APPS as shown in the keynote.    They just need to bring 3D touch to the full iPad line and up the speakers on the Air and Mini.    Does the new Pencil magnetically connect to the iPad Pro or at least have a storage spot when the keyboard is closed.

I would really love to have a Convertible laptop that Consisted of an IPad Pro and a SkyLake based i5 or i7 base (with either OSX  WIN10) that would magnetically hold the iPadPro as the cover for the Laptop.   iPad Pro 1.6 lbs plus base of 2.0 lbs.   ideally the software would be optimized to work in either tablet or laptop mode naturally (Continuity on steroids).    

• Reply 176 of 235
    captain j wrote: »
    Come on same style keyboard cover, same style connector as the Surface. If anyone else was doing this to an Apple product, can anyone say Samsung, everyone would be screaming bloody murder here.

but the surface (and its keyboard cover) was a clear copy of an iPad to start. it's like saying Apple copied android.
  • Reply 177 of 235

maybe because it was obvious to predict -- the surface is an iPad clone, that ripped off the Smart Cover. a keyboard in the cover did make sense however and we surely imagine Apple was going there too.
  • Reply 178 of 235
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Apple originally thought the dock was the logical place for a keyboard. I had one of these with my iPad 1.

• Reply 179 of 235
    nolamacguy wrote: »

maybe because it was obvious to predict -- the surface is an iPad clone, that ripped off the Smart Cover. a keyboard in the cover did make sense however and we surely imagine Apple was going there too.

Now you sound like those people that say what Apple does is obvious when it's not.
  • Reply 180 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

The Surface isn't an iPad clone because Windows tablet existed more than 10 years ago with the same form factor. 

Microsoft owned the tablet market back in early 2000 with Windows XP Tablet edition.  It was bulky, slow, and people often attached keyboards to it and touchpads or trackballs too.  I've had one of the early IBM Thinkpad XT200 hybrids way before the iPad came out.

So should I say the iPad is a Windows Tablet clone?  I'm not gonna say it because ideas have been copied back and forth but Apple has rejected the idea of Surface Pro as Tim Cook said it has compromises.