Apple announces $199 iPhone 6s & $299 6s Plus with 3D Touch, A9 CPU, rose gold color, coming Sept. 2

Comments

• Reply 41 of 156
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rogifan wrote: »
    New phones look amazing.
    A better update than many expected!
    And I love the new rental program for $32/mo.
    Well no. I'm not a big fan of renting anything.
    Since the tech inside these products changes so much so fast I'd rather rent this stuff with the option to own. I'm a little surprised Phil didn't make a bigger deal about the cheaper iCloud storage pricing since they're keeping the same storage options as last year.

One thing that has me slightly worried because Phil didn't mention it (unless I missed it)....battery life.

It might actually be slightly better. One thing that was glossed over is that the M9 "chip" was integrated into the A9 SoC. By the looks of it possibly other hardware, this in itself can lead to better power profiles. More importantly it really does sound like this is a 14/16nm chip. If so that can go a very very long ways to lowering power in the SoC.

In any event the new A9 chips highlight what I've been saying for some time now, the SoC is the printed circuit board of the last century This is where engineers implement their great ideas.
  • Reply 42 of 156
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    One thing that would have made this event perfect (accepting that 32GB is out of the question with iPhones) is free iCloud storage for photos. That would be money well spent by Apple in the service of their customers.
  • Reply 43 of 156
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

I've been a trailing edge guy in terms of iPhones for years now. I always enjoyed running a year behind and picking up the phone for half the cost of new.

This is the first year I will be ordering on day one.

iPhone 6S/64 for me ASAP!

There's a ton of true innovation here by Apple. 

• Reply 44 of 156
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    No mention of RAM. The updates are however impressive. It looks like the camera alone might be good reason to update, the processor performance however is nothing to sneeze at either.
  • Reply 45 of 156
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And once again Dan Ricco is basically absent from an Apple event. Got a shoutout from Craig during the 3D Touch demo but that was it. Both hardware videos were narrated by Jony Ive just like the MacBook. I wonder if Apple has decided to have all product intro videos narrated by Ive rather than a bunch of execs?
  • Reply 46 of 156
    [image]

They didn't increase it so the iPhone 6S-series is a completely failure¡

• iPhone :: 1400 mAh = Talk Time: Up to 8 hours; Standby: Up to 250 hours; Internet Use: Up to 6 hours; Video playback: Up to 7 hours; Audio playback: Up to 24 hours.

• iPhone 3G :: 1150 mAh = Talk Time: Up to 5 hours on 3G, Up to 10 hours on 2G; Standby: Up to 300 hours; Internet Use: Up to 5 hours on 3G, Up to 6 hours on Wi-Fi; Video playback: Up to 7 hours; Audio playback: Up to 24 hours.

• iPhone 3GS :: 1219 mAh = Talk Time: Up to 5 hours on 3G; Up to 12 hours on 2G; Standby: Up to 300 hours; Internet Use: Up to 5 hours on 3G, Up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi; Video playback: Up to 10 hours; Audio playback: Up to 30 hours.

• iPhone 4 :: 1420 mAh = Talk Time: Up to 7 hours on 3G; Up to 14 hours on 2G; Standby: Up to 300 hours Internet; Use: Up to 6 hours on 3G;, Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi; Video playback: Up to 10 hours; Audio playback: Up to 40 hours.

• iPhone 4S :: 1430 mAh = Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G; up to 14 hours on 2G; Standby time: Up to 200 hours; Internet use: Up to 6 hours on 3G, up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi; Video playback: Up to 10 hours; Audio playback: Up to 40 hours.

• iPhone 5 :: 1440 mAh = Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G; Standby time: Up to 225 hours; Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 8 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi; Video playback: Up to 10 hours; Audio playback: Up to 40 hours.

• iPhone 5C :: 1507 mAh = Talk time: Up to 10 hours on 3G; Standby time: Up to 250 hours; Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi; Video playback: Up to 10 hours; Audio playback: Up to 40 hours.

• iPhone 5S :: 1570 mAh = Talk time: Up to 10 hours on 3G; Standby time: Up to 250 hours; Internet use: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on LTE, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi; Video playback: Up to 10 hours; Audio playback: Up to 40 hours.

• iPhone 6 :: 1810 mAh = Talk time: Up to 14 hours on 3G; Standby time: Up to 10 days (250 hours); Internet use: Up to 10 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on LTE, up to 11 hours on Wi?Fi; Video playback: Up to 11 hours; Audio playback: Up to 50 hours.

• iPhone 6 Plus :: 2915 mAh = Talk time: Up to 24 hours on 3G; Standby time: Up to 16 days (384 hours); Internet use: Up to 12 hours on 3G, up to 12 hours on LTE, up to 12 hours on Wi?Fi; Video playback: Up to 14 hours; Audio playback: Up to 80 hours.

• iPhone 6S :: 1715 mAh = Talk time: Up to 14 hours on 3G; Standby time: Up to 10 days (250 hours); Internet use: Up to 10 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on LTE, up to 11 hours on Wi?Fi; Video playback: Up to 11 hours; Audio playback: Up to 50 hours.

• iPhone 6S Plus :: xxxx mAh = Talk time: Up to 24 hours on 3G; Standby time: Up to 16 days (384 hours); Internet use: Up to 12 hours on 3G, up to 12 hours on LTE, up to 12 hours on Wi?Fi; Video playback: Up to 14 hours; Audio playback: Up to 80 hours.

LEGEND:
    GREEN = Increase in energy capacity or usage
    RED = decrease in energy capacity or usage
    UNDERLINE = Starting point for metric
    (Please let me know if I've missed an increase, decrease or staring value)

PS: Let's not forget that since the iPhone launched Apple has altered how they measure battery life, twice to make it more stringent to match real world usage.
  • Reply 47 of 156
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

No mention of whether or not the 6S has Optical Image Stabilization?

If that's the case I may definitely downside from the 6 Plus.

• Reply 48 of 156
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

Is it juts me or the Space Grey one is actually darker than the 6/6plus?

• Reply 49 of 156
    Well, no OSX 10.11 ElCapitan and no 4K on Apple TV as of today. Me thinks we do indeed have an October event if any Macs are upgraded plus afore-mentioned items%u2014or an unprecedented November event instead?
    Would they have to wait until January for TV content deals and Skylake processors that they want to use? e.g. the Xeon Skylake for a new Mac Pro and higher clockable Skylake for iMac?
  • Reply 50 of 156

Its been on windows phone for a year or two . On windows phone you can export them as gif and other things and can put them into movies.

Which Windows phone? And nice to know... does anything ever being on any other phone first... especially one that nobody in serious numbers uses, make it relevant?

Besides: Microsoft itself cares more about being present on iOS than they care about Surface. Let them tell the story of how they were "FIRST!"
  • Reply 51 of 156

Does this have fast charge or wireless charging?

• Reply 52 of 156
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

My iPhone 6 just opened up Siri when Craig said "Hey, Siri!" while watching the live broadcast on it. Oops!

"Daddy, is that you?" :)

• Reply 53 of 156
    So I'm a bit confused by the new name "3D Touch" when the presenter slipped up and said "Force Touch".

To me it is a bit confusing because 3D touch would imply a 3 Dimensional touch screen interactive display where it could sense the finger hovering over the screen and sense the movement of your fingers or how close they were to perform certain actions. But since you have to actually touch the the screen & depending on the pressure or "force" being applied it reacts to that.

I just don't want to sound like an idiot when trying to explain Force Touch on my Watch & the 3D Touch on my new phone are not the same.
  • Reply 54 of 156
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybelly View Post

Well, no OSX 10.11 ElCapitan and no 4K on Apple TV as of today. Me thinks we do indeed have an October event if any Macs are upgraded plus afore-mentioned items%u2014or an unprecedented November event instead?

Would they have to wait until January for TV content deals and Skylake processors that they want to use? e.g. the Xeon Skylake for a new Mac Pro and higher clockable Skylake for iMac?

No October event. Thats why iPads were announced now. How many more ways you need it explained?

• Reply 55 of 156
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPhone 6s brings Apple's Taptic Engine from the Apple TV to the handset. These new vibrations were described by Ive as a "mini-tap" and a "full tap" that will give users tactile feedback when interacting with the iPhone 6s.

The Apple TV has a taptic engine? Do you mean the new Apple TV or the old one? Or maybe you meant from the Apple Watch?

• Reply 56 of 156
    Hey, Siri only works while plugged in so why do so many idiot say the latter?
  • Reply 57 of 156
    rogifan wrote: »
    And once again Dan Ricco is basically absent from an Apple event. Got a shoutout from Craig during the 3D Touch demo but that was it. Both hardware videos were narrated by Jony Ive just like the MacBook. I wonder if Apple has decided to have all product intro videos narrated by Ive rather than a bunch of execs?

European design philosophy narrated by a European in California, center of cool and the tech universe? Fits and it's upscale :p
  • Reply 58 of 156

Why do people continue to say "Hey, Siri" works on iOS 9 beta without being plugged in? 

• Reply 59 of 156

Where the **** are the MODERATORS? Why does it take so long for approval? I was a member for years and now this SHIT

**** YOU

• Reply 60 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Which Windows phone? And nice to know... does anything ever being on any other phone first... especially one that nobody in serious numbers uses, make it relevant?

Besides: Microsoft itself cares more about being present on iOS than they care about Surface. Let them tell the story of how they were "FIRST!"

Well when you say you invented it and did it first which is a blatant lie yes it does matter. I wouldn't have had a problem with it but when you say you invent something when you didn't that's my problem. ?

Also I am pretty sure its on any phone with lumia cyan firmware or higher which was 2 years ago. My 920 has it, my 1020 has it and my 1520 has it.  Apple did giva a job to one of the nokia imaging engineers responsible for it. So that's where they got the idea from.