Microsoft sells out of Surface Book launch stock, updates iOS Health app for Band 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 115

So, how many people here would like an iPad, which when docked, becomes a full blown OS X laptop, with the keyboard hosting a second processor and more memory? Microsoft is catching up fast, and Apple is pushing out the same stuff with incremental upgrades. 

Yes, Microsoft borrowed many design queues from Apple, and messed up on the side gap, but the Surface Book appeals to many. It's a laptop for work that becomes a tablet you can toss in your backpack. Moreover, it's a bargain, saves you from buying a $900 laptop and an $900 iPad.

Also, once this news hits the street tomorrow, Apple stock will most likely take another hit, even if they only sold 100,000. I am no Microsoft fan, and hate them with a passion, but I'm not fooling myself. Steve is gone, and Apple is starting to look a lot like it did in the late 80's.

• Reply 22 of 115
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">to compete with a hinge?</span>

This. The surface is OK. THE Surface Book is OK.

THE LAUGHABLE THING IS ANY IDEA THAT IT COMPETES WITH THE MBP. You may get away with comparing the base 13 inches now, but not when the MBP also updates to Skylake.

It doesn't compete. But it is most assuredly a decent device.

However... All this talk of innovation is a joke.

It's a keyboard accessory for a Surface. That's it. And the connector is pulled straight out of the 90's, complete with unwieldy metal prongs, etc. not only does it look atrocious, it's actually something of s pain to operate smoothly.

It's nice that it can utilize some extra power when connected. But it ain't all that.

Word to the wise: if you need a laptop, buy one that excels at being a laptop. If you need a tablet, buy one that excels at being a tablet.

I've always been a laptop guy myself though I also have an iPad. But I think I'll switch it up and buy the new iMac 27 for heavy work and use the iPad pro for mobile duty and showcasing iMac creations to clients.

Seems like a match made in heaven.
  • Reply 23 of 115
    So, how many people here would like an iPad, which when docked, becomes a full blown OS X laptop, with the keyboard hosting a second processor and more memory? Microsoft is catching up fast, and Apple is pushing out the same stuff with incremental upgrades. 

Yes, Microsoft borrowed many design queues from Apple, and messed up on the side gap, but the Surface Book appeals to many. It's a laptop for work that becomes a tablet you can toss in your backpack. Moreover, it's a bargain, saves you from buying a $900 laptop and an $900 iPad.

Also, once this news hits the street tomorrow, Apple stock will most likely take another hit, even if they only sold 100,000. I am no Microsoft fan, and hate them with a passion, but I'm not fooling myself. Steve is gone, and Apple is starting to look a lot like it did in the late 80's.

A laptop that magically transforms into a mediocre tablet with less power and a wonky connection mechanism?

No thanks.

This isn't actually new. It's just ballmers original Surgace Pro pitch. But now with a more sturdy keyboard that can also help out the performance a bit.

It's not catching up. It's running forward with a compromised design.

Apple is good at laser focus, making the best device for its purpose. They've mastered that.

Microsoft is great at making "good enough" stuff that tries to do many things while mastering none of them.
  • Reply 24 of 115
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,254member
    I just want a Mac that isn't crippled in standard configurations. You would have to be mad to buy an MBA these days. Or the connection crippled MB. And the MBpro if it comes out needs USB C at the least, but it isn't looking good considering the continued crippling of the iMacs. Why do this Apple? I am after two laptops at Christmas time, and right now Apple can't be on my list. They would be bad gifts.
  • Reply 25 of 115
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Microsoft sells out of Surface Book launch stock...

Apple is Doomed™

So sayeth AI

• Reply 26 of 115
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Apple should make a Mac tablet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why?

He just likes posting stuff.

• Reply 27 of 115
    cali wrote: »
    Wow I haven't heard of a tech company besides Apple sell out of anything in a long time!

Microsoft learned their lesson when they had to dig a big hole for something like $900,000,000 of Surface RT tablets.

However few Surface Books Microsoft made, it's good to see Barnam's quote still holds, "...one born every minute."
  • Reply 28 of 115
    entropys wrote: »
    I just want a Mac that isn't crippled in standard configurations. You would have to be mad to buy an MBA these days. Or the connection crippled MB. And the MBpro if it comes out needs USB C at the least, but it isn't looking good considering the continued crippling of the iMacs. Why do this Apple? I am after two laptops at Christmas time, and right now Apple can't be on my list. They would be bad gifts.

There's nothing wrong with the MBP. Hell, name another laptop that will let you edit 4K video and see every single pixel while still having screen real estate for all your controls.

The iMac is anything but crippled. Name another brand of desktop that gives you a 28" screen with 5K definition and allows you to drive multiple screens stock, out of the box.

If you think you need a Swiss Army knife computer then buy a Mac Pro.

At any rate, this thread is about the Surface Book, which is not a real laptop, even though it runs Windows 10. It's apps need to be converted to "universal", and it doesn't even fully close... and you think Apple's laptops are "crippled"??!!!!
  • Reply 29 of 115
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    appex wrote: »

Yes. A thousand times, YES. The rMB and the iPad Pro should have been the same device.
  • Reply 30 of 115
    haggar wrote: »
    The MacBook Air is due for a refresh, or at least an IPS display (if not Retina) and more than 4GB RAM as standard.

Probably still waiting on Intel for their long-delayed power-sipping CPU chip.

As far as more RAM is concerned. If you're gonna edit 4K video, you should by a MBP anyway. For most laptop computer use, the RAM requirement is not high... why impact battery life when there's another laptop for high RAM and high GPU applications.
  • Reply 31 of 115
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Cool story. 

Now show me the quarterly report for it.

Microsoft "sold out" aint like Apple "sold out.

• Reply 32 of 115
    philsphils Posts: 22member
    While I am an Apple user I think this is good news. Good for them! I think that the better they get the better Apple gets too. Having competitors only benefits the consumer...
  • Reply 33 of 115
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    Quote:

How many did they sell? It's easy to sell out if supply is low.

It's like sellers on eBay. When they say only 10 left but than they started with 11.

• Reply 34 of 115
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phils View Post

While I am an Apple user I think this is good news. Good for them! I think that the better they get the better Apple gets too. Having competitors only benefits the consumer...

Come-on. Apple don't need competition to get better. Apple is competitor of itself. So, even only Apple is left in world than still their next products are far better than current. When ipad was first of it;s kind in market and doing well and no other competitor could come close, still Apple came out with ipad 2.

• Reply 35 of 115

Turning my car into a Frankenstein truck by docking it with a truck bed is not on my wish list. I'm sure people making incremental upgrades to cars will be slammed for not seizing on such a stupid idea.
  • Reply 36 of 115
    These kinds of articles on AI always brings out the [B]"I'm an Apple fan but let's be honest..."[/B] concern trolls.
  • Reply 37 of 115
    bsenka wrote: »
    appex wrote: »

Yes. A thousand times, YES. The rMB and the iPad Pro should have been the same device.

iOS is a touch-aware device and iOS apps fit that device.

Apple can't make an OSX tablet, and suddenly all the apps are touch-aware. That's exactly what MS has going on... very few Windows apps are touch-aware.

The beauty of Apple's two OS's is one is optimized for a touch-based UI and one is optimized for a mouse-based UI.
  • Reply 38 of 115
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Quote:

Why?

Quote:

Why?

A Mac tablet not for heavy work, but as the ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation tool. Make presentations in Mac desktop and move them to the Mac tablet (400 to 600 g instead of 1 or 2 kg!) via USB pendrive (cloud? No, thanks!). Carry the Mac tablet to the presentation room. Because iOS is not fully compatible with Mac.

• Reply 39 of 115
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

iOS is a touch-aware device and iOS apps fit that device.

Apple can't make an OSX tablet, and suddenly all the apps are touch-aware. That's exactly what MS has going on... very few Windows apps are touch-aware.

The beauty of Apple's two OS's is one is optimized for a touch-based UI and one is optimized for a mouse-based UI.

See message above.

• Reply 40 of 115
    These kinds of articles on AI always brings out the "I'm an Apple fan but let's be honest..." concern trolls.

You are WRONG. What is brought out are the users who can and do discriminate between the products... something many people in the media cannot manage to do.