Microsoft sells out of Surface Book launch stock, updates iOS Health app for Band 2

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The Intel Core M 5Y31 in the Macbook gets a Passmark score of 2,484

The Intel Core i7-6600U in the Surface 4 gets a Passmark score of4,747

At a guess, I would say Passmark did the benchmarking.

But the i7 is not in the base model Surface Book...

The article is comparing the (MB) worth $1,990 AUD to the $3,290 AUD SB and claiming the later to be twice as fast as if they were equivalent machines.  That's completely ridiculous, but this is M$ we are talking about...

• Reply 102 of 115
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    danvm wrote: »

I don't understand why people are so closed to other options only because it's from MS.  The Surface Pro is a great device and Windows 10 works very nice with it.  Why it's bad to see how a company like MS make great products, which sometimes are better than Apple offerings?

Because you are dealing with some biased people here.

But frankly... if you go to your average Android or Windows forum... you will probably see same percentage of people being negative about anything Apple. Just the way world rolls.
  • Reply 103 of 115
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

the only Windows laptops I'm familiar with are dells and hps, and they are crummy. can you link to some of these premium Windows notebooks that are as high quality was MacBook pros?

This is no joke and sad to say my son's LENOVO laptop broke within FIRST year. I got it fixed under warranty and 3 months after fix and than warranty expired, something inside related to power distribution, heat-sink area got bad damaging motherboard and other components. LENOVO said won't fix because it costs more to fix than buying new laptop so advice me to go buy new laptop. Contrary to that, my daughter's MacBook pro 13 inch still going for the last 4 years. Now, think about buying windows laptop every 12-15 months. You go totally broke.

• Reply 104 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

You could always get good quality laptops - Lenovo, HP and others always had some available. They were (until recently) lacking Apple aesthetics, but they were well built and reliable, some of them conforming various military specs.

However, endless sea of cheap, plastic machines - even if they are not made by Microsoft - are watering down consumers' perception of Windows machines. It is quite normal, I'd say, and works in every sphere - as in car industry, where Toyota will not make expensive car (under that brand) because all the cheap, good-value-for-the-money but still brand diluting little Toyotas that are flooding streets... thus we have Lexus, or Infinity, or Acura.

The way I see it, Surface is that kind of re-branding. Not that Microsoft will complain if Surfaces sell well - but I think they will be perfectly content if it just helps them achieve better brand recognition - and I think it is. A few years back, most our customers would think cheap USB mice and keyboards if anyone mentions Microsoft hardware. Today already, they think well executed convertible computing devices. In the future, more and more people will rather associate Surfaces than cheap Acers to "Windows machine" and this can - and will - help both Microsoft and Windows brand. Rather than letting consumers associate cheap Acer (and likes) with Windows and, indirectly, to Microsoft themselves, they are fiddling with consumers' mind-state to start associating quality build, expensive, premium Surface devices not only to Microsoft, but also to Windows as a platform and PC as a category.

I think they are doing this quite smartly. Even if Surfaces never grow to be real sales success for MS, they will do good one way or the other.

This is no joke and sad but true story of this month. My son's LENOVO laptop broke within FIRST year. I got it fixed under warranty and 3 months after fix when warranty expired, something inside related to power distribution, heat-sink area got bad damaging motherboard and other components. LENOVO said won't fix because it costs more to fix than buying new laptop so advice me to go buy new laptop. Contrary to that, my daughter's MacBook pro 13 inch still going for the last 4 years. Now, think about buying windows laptop every 12-15 months. You go totally broke. So, no need to defend windows crappy laptops especially build by LENOVO.

• Reply 105 of 115
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    sog35 wrote: »
    that gap is absolutely horrible.  

Its a joke that the tech media was all up in arms about the iPhone6 camera bump yet say nothing about this monstrosity.

I know I have seen something that looks like this
    Before, just can't remember where.
    When I first saw the surface book it looked fine, but then,
    they showed that angle, I went from ok that's not back to
    Wtf!

About your point, is Microsoft, I think even the media
    feel sorry for them, and no body has any real expectations
    For them, what ever they do is ok.
    Apple in the other hand, everyone holds them to a very high
    standard.

Now what is surprising is that this is the second time in
    In a short period of time the we are talking about Microsoft,
    they most be starting to do something right.
  • Reply 106 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by basjhj View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

I am not trying to be a dick, commenting on the internet can be easily taken the wrong way so please don't think I am being a dick.

You should watch the keynote.

I like watching the various keynotes from all of the different companies. This one was possibly the best Microsoft keynote I have yet seen. It had decent pacing, the products looked decent and I thought Panos Panay had a pretty good and funny delivery.

So if you are in keynotes, I say watch it. I wouldn't recommend it if it sucked, but it didn't. It was pretty good. With the exception of the Hololens demo, every time they demo that it just seems like a lie and they won't be able to deliver. Time will tell.

I think you inadvertently just disclosed the real problem with these Surface things: that it is not clear what the purpose of these devices is. If we can't even agree on whether they represent a laptop, a hybrid, a tablet or a failed attempt at any of these, and if I have to sit through a keynote to get an understanding of 'how well they work', then there's something wrong with the product.

Apple gets it. And I have never watched any Apple keynote.

I did?

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from my post, which was simply a suggestion to watch the keynote. :???:

• Reply 107 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Quote:

I don't mind the gap, unless I am in London taking the Tube.

In fact that gap looks like it will remove the years-old problem that many laptops suffer where the keyboard makes an imprint on the screen from being closed. Once its closed, I can't imagine any sane person trying to force it to close more to get the gap to not exist. You close it, put it in your bag and never see the gap - or the keyboard imprint on your screen.

As to the durability of the hinge, screen locking mechanism and overall build quality remains to be seen. Might be a a great product, so far the 10 minute hands on reviews are mostly positive about the build quality. I will wait for some long term reviews, it's a little pricey for me to jump in on a 1.0 product.

Keyboard imprint, Really? I guess you must have not seen or used MacBooks. They have the sunken surface where keyboard is removing the issue of those imprint. Also, with the gap, when it is put in the bag, there are chances of loose pens and pencil or other crap sliding inside and possibly cause damage to the screen - Especially when there is only standing room in the Tube and you keep sliding your laptop bag. Finally, I think the product is expensive, considering that it is PC after all.

Since the thread is about a Microsoft laptop, I generically used the term laptops. I have seen a few newer laptops that have key marks on the screen. It still seems to happen.

Of course I have seen and used MacBooks. But I generically said laptops on purpose. I did not specifically say current Macbooks (although those old white plastic Macbooks were notorious for the keys marking up the screen).

And yeah there is a chance of lots of things happening to your expensive laptop if you throw it into a bag with loose pens and pencils or other crap. Who actually does that? If someone is spending over $1000 on a machine they can likely afford a bag with a separate laptop pouch of some sort. Or at least a sleeve for the thing.

Do people actually put that expensive of a machine into a bag with loose change, pens, pencils and maybe a nice handful of sand for good measure? OK, the sand part is a bit hyperbolic but hopefully you get my drift. 

I don't want to scratch any part of my notebook, not the outside or the screen. So I use a bag that has a separate pouch. Same goes for all of the people I know. But hey, anything is certainly possible. Peoples judgement never ceases to amaze me.

I agree the Surface Book is a bit expensive, but I will hold final judgement until I get my hands on one.

• Reply 108 of 115
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

But the i7 is not in the base model Surface Book...

The article is comparing the (MB) worth $1,990 AUD to the $3,290 AUD SB and claiming the later to be twice as fast as if they were equivalent machines.  That's completely ridiculous, but this is M$ we are talking about...

I missed the Pro bit and was looking at the Macbook so forget what I wrote.  This article delves into the claim with more detail than I care for given no firm spec on the processor in the surface book.  However, It will be interesting to see if the claim will hold as much water as Apple's claim of desktop performance from an iPad Pro.

• Reply 109 of 115
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

This is no joke and sad but true story of this month. My son's LENOVO laptop broke within FIRST year. I got it fixed under warranty and 3 months after fix when warranty expired, something inside related to power distribution, heat-sink area got bad damaging motherboard and other components. LENOVO said won't fix because it costs more to fix than buying new laptop so advice me to go buy new laptop. Contrary to that, my daughter's MacBook pro 13 inch still going for the last 4 years. Now, think about buying windows laptop every 12-15 months. You go totally broke. So, no need to defend windows crappy laptops especially build by LENOVO.

My experience has been the opposite.  Most of my customers have Thinkpads and some of them have close to 5 years without issues.  It's sad to hear your experience, but that's not necessary true for all or most cases, at least with the business class machines.  

• Reply 110 of 115
    9secondko wrote: »
    A laptop that magically transforms into a mediocre tablet with less power and a wonky connection mechanism?

No thanks.

This isn't actually new. It's just ballmers original Surgace Pro pitch. But now with a more sturdy keyboard that can also help out the performance a bit.

It's not catching up. It's running forward with a compromised design.

Apple is good at laser focus, making the best device for its purpose. They've mastered that.

Microsoft is great at making "good enough" stuff that tries to do many things while mastering none of them.

Yeah, that 3 hours of battery life while detached from their keyboard is a huge compromise, one I doubt Apple would ever make.
  • Reply 111 of 115
    Quote:

I did?

Yes, you did.

• Reply 112 of 115
    wood1208 wrote: »

I don't have any particular reason to defend Lenovo, they are not my favourite brand.

That being said... What Lenovo did you get? Lenovo does have different lines of products, both consumer and business. Some of them are quite cheap. Most good Lenovo machines - those from ThinkPad line - come with default 3 years of warranty, at least here in New Zealand. Unless they have different practice where you live, I'm guessing you did get a machine from IdeaPad line, or some other non-ThinkPad product.

I still have old first-gen i5 ThinkPad T410 from early 2010. Battery life is poor with default battery and there is one dead pixel on screen... beside that, it works fine. Which is as anecdotal as your experience. But stats wise, Lenovo ThinkPad should be quite reliable.

Speaking of reliability - or, at least, a promise of it - Acer has recently launched line of products with default 4 years on-site, NBD warranty (again, here in NZ). I actually got one for my work PC, out of curiosity. TravelMate P645-s. Surprisingly decent machine - good fit & finish, magnesium-alloy unibody, carbon-fibre lid, decent 1080p IPS screen, backlit keyboard, good battery life, small footprint - approximately size of 13" MBA, due to narrow bezel around 14" screen... and reasonably slim, considering docking station port underneath (which requires some depth). Specs are good, too - Broadwell i7, 12GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, 3G/LTE (not sure). RAM and SSD are user replaceable. Quite expensive for an Acer... but that's about it, you can get decent machine from almost any brand if you want to pay. Major difference, you cannot get cheap and crappy machine from Apple.

Which is - back to original topic - an image misfortune for Windows platform that Microsoft is trying to address with Surface line.
  • Reply 113 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I don't have any particular reason to defend Lenovo, they are not my favourite brand.

That being said... What Lenovo did you get? Lenovo does have different lines of products, both consumer and business. Some of them are quite cheap. Most good Lenovo machines - those from ThinkPad line - come with default 3 years of warranty, at least here in New Zealand. Unless they have different practice where you live, I'm guessing you did get a machine from IdeaPad line, or some other non-ThinkPad product.

I still have old first-gen i5 ThinkPad T410 from early 2010. Battery life is poor with default battery and there is one dead pixel on screen... beside that, it works fine. Which is as anecdotal as your experience. But stats wise, Lenovo ThinkPad should be quite reliable.

Speaking of reliability - or, at least, a promise of it - Acer has recently launched line of products with default 4 years on-site, NBD warranty (again, here in NZ). I actually got one for my work PC, out of curiosity. TravelMate P645-s. Surprisingly decent machine - good fit & finish, magnesium-alloy unibody, carbon-fibre lid, decent 1080p IPS screen, backlit keyboard, good battery life, small footprint - approximately size of 13" MBA, due to narrow bezel around 14" screen... and reasonably slim, considering docking station port underneath (which requires some depth). Specs are good, too - Broadwell i7, 12GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, 3G/LTE (not sure). RAM and SSD are user replaceable. Quite expensive for an Acer... but that's about it, you can get decent machine from almost any brand if you want to pay. Major difference, you cannot get cheap and crappy machine from Apple.

Which is - back to original topic - an image misfortune for Windows platform that Microsoft is trying to address with Surface line.

When you said, "I still have old first-gen i5 ThinkPad T410 from early 2010." But, remember Thinkpad series was originally designed and built by IBM and I have used Thinkpad since it came out because I worked for IBM for 2 decades and we were only given Thinkpad for our software development. I and millions have so many complains and problem with Lenovo's laptops. It took over of IBM PC division which had good reputation of making reliable machines and now Lenovo churning out crappy laptops. You can always receive good but can turn into bad.One has to put gun over my head to make me buy LENOVO computers in this lifetime. End of it.

• Reply 114 of 115
    wood1208 wrote: »
    When you said, "I still have old first-gen i5 ThinkPad T410 from early 2010." But, remember Thinkpad series was originally designed and built by IBM and I have used Thinkpad since it came out because I worked for IBM for 2 decades and we were only given Thinkpad for our software development. I and millions have so many complains and problem with Lenovo's laptops. It took over of IBM PC division which had good reputation of making reliable machines and now Lenovo churning out crappy laptops. You can always receive good but can turn into bad.One has to put gun over my head to make me buy LENOVO computers in this lifetime. End of it.

That could be so. My company is pretty much standardized on HP EliteBooks for customers and mostly for staff... this T410 was an odd one that ended with us for in-house use by mistake. It might also be remaining IBM design... even if IBM PC acquisition did happen 5 years prior.

Like I said, Lenovo is not our preferred brand... in our case, it was more due to poor support we have experienced here in NZ before we focused on HP and started switching our customers... but when we did that, Lenovo machines were still quite reliable. I'm only paying respect where respect is due... even if it is just historic.