Microsoft sells out of Surface Book launch stock, updates iOS Health app for Band 2

Comments

• Reply 61 of 115
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Of course there's high demand. The Windows world is screaming for good build notebooks. The best Windows notebook is probably still the MacBook Pro. But mainstream Windows users might be reluctant to buy a Mac. But this looks well made. And the twice as fast claim is a nice thorn in the eye too. Doubling as a tablet though... Not that awesome.. But I can see that it's going to sell.
  • Reply 62 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

I just looked at Microsoft Surface Book more carefully.

Is that gap for real when the device is closed? How durable is that accordion hinge? I am sure people are going to try to push down on make it close tightly. I see it as bad design.

From my understanding, the gap provides a slight angle for the display when the tablet portion is turned around in the dock.

Considering most of the device is magnesium with the hinge internals being aluminum, I would imagine it being rather durable.

Another company, Lenovo, has used a similar style of hinge on their Yoga 3 Pro and upcoming Miix 700.

• Reply 63 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I never saw the keynote so I can't comment on that part but I will say this: If you can remove the screen from the keyboard, it's not a laptop.

It's a tablet with a keyboard.

The tablet portion can be used as a stand alone device, but keyboard is much more than a simple dock (dGPU, ports, battery).

I'd just call it for what it is, a 2-in-1 (laptop & tablet). 

• Reply 64 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanVM View Post

Why not?

Why why not?

• Reply 65 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

So, how many people here would like an iPad, which when docked, becomes a full blown OS X laptop, with the keyboard hosting a second processor and more memory? Microsoft is catching up fast, and Apple is pushing out the same stuff with incremental upgrades. 

The one thing I don't understand is how do they put a dedicated gpu into the keyboard and then expect it to work without any problem. It is obvious that there is some kind of port that would connect the main motherboard with that additional "gpu motherboard" part. Doing that through a connection that will be prone for dirt getting into it doesn't seem like the best option.

• Reply 66 of 115
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    wood1208 wrote: »
    let's me honest. I grew my professional carrier with Intel based windows hardware design for PCs and laptops. But, somehow hardware build quality for Windows laptop is subpar quality compare with Apple's Mabook. I am not going to be judgmental about build quality of Microsoft surface book and time will tell but based on past experiences of millions of windows laptop uses, most of windows laptop are like many android phones. Cheap but don't last long so avoid in first place before joining millions of frustrated users. Media supported new design so people are buying but media not going to pay for repair after warranty will expire.

Well that's an unfair assessment as there are many, many, many different models Windows laptops. Cheap ones, middle range, high end, etc. None of which are all built equally so you can't simply say, Windows laptops arent as premium as MacBooks. It's also easy to find a Windows Laptop with impeccable built quality that will last. In fact all of my longest lasting laptops have all been Windows laptop. The Surface line is also a really well built machine and will easily last a decade if not abused.
  • Reply 67 of 115

The one thing I don't understand is how do they put a dedicated gpu into the keyboard and then expect it to work without any problem. It is obvious that there is some kind of port that would connect the main motherboard with that additional "gpu motherboard" part. Doing that through a connection that will be prone for dirt getting into it doesn't seem like the best option.

I'm sure it will last just fine, this is nothing new as other company's have done similar setups in the past. Asus has a laptop called the Trio in which has an Intel Processor in the keyboard for Windows and another CPU in the display for when your using Android and as a tablet. Seems to still be holding up pretty good according to users in the Asus forums.
  • Reply 68 of 115

That's exactly what MS has going on... very few Windows apps are touch-aware.

Actually that's a huge misconception about Windows 10, there are many touch enabled apps. I actually have more apps installed on my Windows Tablet than I do on either my iPad or Android tablet. There not only Windows apps but web apps designed specifically for the Chrome browser and are touch optimized. Than there are the many Windows applications that can utilize the Stylus and the many music creation applications that utilizes a touchscreen extremely well, so much so that having a touchscreen and stylus are now absolute must haves for me now when buying a laptop. That's why I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 12.5 (not the consumer model but the ThinkPad) and Surface, fantastic products that make my life easier as I still spend a lot of time in bed. Apple will eventually make their Macbooks touch enabled, it's just a matter of time. By the way, I'm running OSX on my Thinkpad and it works quite well with touch, though it's the Stylus that I use the most.
  • Reply 69 of 115
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why?

Because some people like having a file system.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

iOS is a touch-aware device and iOS apps fit that device.

Apple can't make an OSX tablet, and suddenly all the apps are touch-aware. That's exactly what MS has going on... very few Windows apps are touch-aware.

The beauty of Apple's two OS's is one is optimized for a touch-based UI and one is optimized for a mouse-based UI.

Funny thing is, OSX isn't 'touch aware'  yet most of my interaction with it is via a touch pad.

• Reply 70 of 115
    Can someone explain how this thing is twice as fast as a MacBook? What are they comparing it too exactly, and who did the benchmarking?
  • Reply 71 of 115
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

Can someone explain how this thing is twice as fast as a MacBook? What are they comparing it too exactly, and who did the benchmarking?

The Intel Core M 5Y31 in the Macbook gets a Passmark score of 2,484

The Intel Core i7-6600U in the Surface 4 gets a Passmark score of4,747

At a guess, I would say Passmark did the benchmarking.

• Reply 72 of 115
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanVM View Post

I don't understand why people are so closed to other options only because it's from MS.  The Surface Pro is a great device and Windows 10 works very nice with it.  Why it's bad to see how a company like MS make great products, which sometimes are better than Apple offerings?

My favorite trackball was made by Microsoft but they discontinued it and I haven't found anything comparable. Logitech's versions are too small and cramped. Now if I could get the Apple Magic TrackPad to be fully functional in Windows I'd be a happy camper. I'm very open minded about Microsoft and will use any and all Microsoft products and tools that my employer provides for me. Some of them are really good, like Excel and some versions of Visual Studio, some are pretty good like Visio and OneNote, but others are pure torture like Skype, Outlook, Word, and Windows OS itself. When I leave the office I leave all the Microsoft claptrap behind or safely encapsulated on my company laptop. The last thing I'd ever want to do is inject Microsoft into my personal life. Apple products are a very nice firewall to keep work life at a comfortable distance from home life. Hey, if I used all Apple stuff at work my opinion may be reversed - or at least tempered until the next time Word has font & formatting diarrhea all over a document I've been slaving over for days. 

I'm happy to see Microsoft become relevant again. But they are only becoming relevant by eating the market share of their partners in product categories that are decades old pasture dwellers. Let's see Microsoft put all those great minds that it's hoarding back to work on inventing and innovating new product categories and creating new markets. They have the right stuff and don't have to follow in Apple's wake.

• Reply 73 of 115
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    a4vk wrote: »
    If any company other than Apple sells out initial stock means they have built very few. If Apple says they still have stock means their production has improved. Surface is real hardware making money for Microsoft and pretty much consumers liking it. It's such a hit product which made Apple release iPad pro to compete. So I am not surprised if surface book sold out initial supply. After all surface book is dual can be used as tablet or laptop so in many ways better than surface pro.

so tell us, dear poster, how many did they sell?
  • Reply 74 of 115
    Steve is gone, and Apple is starting to look a lot like it did in the late 80's.

so you're "concerned", are you? what on earth are you talking about? Apple is the leading industry Titan in two sectors, eating all the profit in desktop pcs and mobile. they have more money than god. they keep releasing hits. how exactly are they like old Apple? be specific.
  • Reply 75 of 115
    entropys wrote: »
    I just want a Mac that isn't crippled in standard configurations. You would have to be mad to buy an MBA these days. Or the connection crippled MB. And the MBpro if it comes out needs USB C at the least, but it isn't looking good considering the continued crippling of the iMacs. Why do this Apple? I am after two laptops at Christmas time, and right now Apple can't be on my list. They would be bad gifts.

i feel sorry for your family. the rMBP is the finest laptop I've ever owned and outperforms my desktop.

had you ever heard of use-c before the MB had it? and now it's mandatory?
  • Reply 76 of 115
    danvm wrote: »
    Why not?

that's not a good reason for releasing a product. that's how you get crap.

no, if you can't answer why the market needs an OS X tablet, then there won't be one.
  • Reply 77 of 115
    What about a device that excels as a 2 in 1 device, like the SP3?  Why it cannot exist?

because it doesn't. excel.
  • Reply 78 of 115
    What do you call the Macbook?  Isn't that a compromised notebook?  Same as the iPad Pro with it's keyboard, which is similar (or worst) than the "compromised" Surface Pro.  Looks like Apple is the one doing "good enough" with some of their products.

oh look, an astroturfer. how cute.
  • Reply 79 of 115

Geppetto must be working double shifts, trying to keep up with demand.

• Reply 80 of 115
    relic wrote: »
    Well that's an unfair assessment as there are many, many, many different models Windows laptops. Cheap ones, middle range, high end, etc. None of which are all built equally so you can't simply say, Windows laptops arent as premium as MacBooks. It's also easy to find a Windows Laptop with impeccable built quality that will last. In fact all of my longest lasting laptops have all been Windows laptop. The Surface line is also a really well built machine and will easily last a decade if not abused.

the only Windows laptops I'm familiar with are dells and hps, and they are crummy. can you link to some of these premium Windows notebooks that are as high quality was MacBook pros?