Apple resists MacBook, iPad Pro convergence as Microsoft struggles with Surface Windows 10 hybrids

Comments

• Reply 141 of 399
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Why do you keep talking about mathematics? What's your point?

I thought R was the goto standard these days....

• Reply 142 of 399
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    bkkcanuck wrote: »
    You lost me - what technology is this "beats" technology?  Beats technology was actually pretty bad (have not tried the new stuff) all puff.  I have generally just stuck with my old Sennheiser headphones - earpods just do nasty things to my ears (one day I might try the molded ones to see if they are better).
    I figured both he/she and the OP were being sarcastic. Maybe they weren't?

EDIT: OOPS! I thought it was two different posters but I see now it was the same poster, just quoting himself (herself) :\
  • Reply 143 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The surface book is suppose to be the "ultimate laptop" - not talking about the surface pro 3/4.

Sure, price wise. This is a "notebook-like" device that's very expensive. Much too expensive to sell in any large numbers. It's a statement device for Microsoft, I would guess, and though they would love to sell lots of them, I don't see it happening. With the average Windows notebook selling for under $600, where exactly does this fit in?

Edit: fixed sentence.
  • Reply 144 of 399
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

The surface book is suppose to be the "ultimate laptop" - not talking about the surface pro 3/4.

Anything with a 13" screen cannot be considered "ultimate" in my opinion. I suppose you could use the mini Display port to hook it up to a larger monitor, but if you are using it as a laptop, you are not going to be doing anything remotely power user like. Besides USB 3 is fast enough for a typical external device, at least that is how Apple designed their new MacBook.

• Reply 145 of 399
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I thought R was the goto standard these days....

He seems to be lost in a world of archaic technology.
  • Reply 146 of 399
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Can't believe I'm going to defend Microsoft here, but feel in this instance that I should.

I frequently see threads littered with people mocking competitors who simply copy what Apple does, heck DED himself has made many articles to this accord.

With the Surface Microsoft has tried to do something different and to be honest for certain segments of the computer market their way does make sense.

I'm not arguing that the surface is better than an iPad or a MacBook, but it is different.

The surface line keeps getting better and better with each iteration, as one would expect, and personally I applaud Microsoft for trying to create a viable premium device rather than following the "me too" approach of others.

Considering the reviews are not that glowing (despite what you said), it's not that unique (despite what you say, they had no other options that what they did, so they were essentially forced to do this), the sales aren't really great (they're either losing money or barely making any), not sure what the hell your saying.

BTW, they're not producing something all that different from what their top OEM are doing, just using a hell of a lot more marketing to sell it; they're trying to copy Apple in every single other way (except for the Surface where they were forced in this position).

You're acting like they didn't try other things AND THEY DIDNT FAIL and FAIL BADLY

They're also putting great pressure on their OEM by stealing some of the higher end of the market.

This will make very uncollaborative on virtually everything else Microsoft wants to do.

What I see here is not Microsoft doing something fantastic, but Microsoft preparing for survival.

They know Android and IOS is on the verge of really kicking their ass and they're preparing their fallback position by handling the hardware and producing software that will run on their competition.

• Reply 147 of 399
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Anything with a 13" screen cannot be considered "ultimate" in my opinion. I suppose you could use the mini Display port to hook it up to a larger monitor, but if you are using it as a laptop, you are not going to be doing anything remotely power user like. Besides USB 3 is fast enough for a typical external device, at least that is how Apple designed their new MacBook.

The Macbook is an ultra portable laptop not the "ultimate laptop" and it serves that market very well (it is a sizeable market).  It is not a power laptop, that is the Macbook Pro lineup which is what the Surface Book is suppose to be compared to.  I expect future versions of the Macbook to have ONE Thunderbolt/USB-C port but again the market it is aimed at is those that are constantly on the go and are not doing major video editing (90% of the people would be fine with the power of the Macbook). 

• Reply 148 of 399
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    The most exciting volume growth in PC clients is coming from .... Chrome OS.

riiight. tell me again what a Chrome OS notebook can do that its competitors cant? run windows? no. run office? no. run VMs? no. so...what is its reason for being?
  • Reply 149 of 399
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Not only did third party keyboard covers come out for the iPad years before the Surface, but Apple has patents on that idea from before the iPad came out.  As I understand it, MS license those patents in order to make their keyboard cover.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Richardson View Post

Your hardware analysis is pretty good. Your share valuation analysis is idiotic. Don't do it, you have no idea what you're talking about. Microsoft pleased investors because it is growing what is the future of its business, enterprise-based cloud services. Google pleased investors because there is such growth in its mobile business. Yes, prices per click are lower on mobile, but mobile is growing faster than the decline in per-clicks, and Google has a massive share in this. The only realistic threat to this share was Microsoft, since Apple doesn't want to be a volume player in mobile or PC, and as your own article says, the threat from Microsoft operating systems is dead. The most exciting volume growth in PC clients is coming from .... Chrome OS.

Amazon has incredible potential. Amazingly, it seems to be pulling away from competitors in cloud services.

Why don't you tell us why Uber is over-priced?

Amazon has always been a scam as far as stock price is concerned.  There is no realistic prospect that they will ever have substantial profits.  People seem hypnotized by its revenue growth.  Microsoft is floundering and will emerge a much smaller company than it has been in the past.  And Google makes more money from ads on iOS than on its own Android platform.

Meanwhile Apple has grown earnings per share by 50% in the past three years, and its stock price is essentially unchanged.  It now makes over 90% of the profits in the cell phone business, and over 75% of the profits in the PC hardware business (including iPad), and profits are still growing much faster than any of the others you mention.  Only within the Wall Street bubble does the AAPL stock price have anything to do with the company's performance!

• Reply 150 of 399
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

They're also putting great pressure on their OEM by stealing some of the higher end of the market.

This will make very uncollaborative on virtually everything else Microsoft wants to do.

For the Windows market there is nothing that OEMs can do.... they are not in control of their own destiny..... Not to mention most of the Windows market has been a race to the bottom.....  It is actually refreshing that Microsoft is trying to produce quality hardware and not trying to race to the bottom along with most of their OEMs.  Most OEMs have this coming.

• Reply 151 of 399
    xixo wrote: »
    apple's hubris will not serve them well

their arrogance has taken them far, but Steve is dead now

Tim serves the shareholders, not the customer
    nonsense. theyve survived since the '70s and remain the ONLY PC maker still standing because they *delight the customer*. not shareholders or wall street. arrogance doesnt build loyal customers nor does it provide the profit which is the air corporations breathe.

when Apple releases a tablet laptop hybrid that runs iOS and OS X everyone will marvel at their innovation

any year now. aaaaannyyyy year now....
  • Reply 152 of 399
    Imagine Apple Insider saying something negative about Microsoft products. Really at the end of the day this is an Apple fan boy site so one would expect anything written about Microsoft to be negative, even if it isn't true. Keep it up Apple fans love this kind of reporting.

Is there a "flag for butthurt" option on this board? :D
  • Reply 153 of 399
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Apple did? I thought they discouraged physical keyboards until recently. I guess I only knew of some 3rd party ones, not realizing Apple sold them too. Thanks.

the first iPad launched with a connectable keyboard in 2010.
  • Reply 154 of 399
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

And promptly dropped it for iPad 2..... telling people they should use the tablet keyboard instead.

• Reply 155 of 399
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Not to mention that W10 is a real dog.
    People have to reinstall W7 on their systems because W10 ran into the ground without any hope of repair.
    People are happy because W10 crashes only once a week, compared to every day before (and god knows what interval before that).
    And not to mention the endless continuous installes that keep the system busy to the end of time.
    You (I) can complain about the Mac or iOS, but Apple is infinitely better at writing and supporting OSes than MS and takes real responsibility for its products.
    I am happy that the dark days of MS are nearly over and that computers can be fun again.
  • Reply 156 of 399
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

For the Windows market there is nothing that OEMs can do.... they are not in control of their own destiny..... Not to mention most of the Windows market has been a race to the bottom.....  It is actually refreshing that Microsoft is trying to produce quality hardware and not trying to race to the bottom along with most of their OEMs.  Most OEMs have this coming.

And yet, we can already see the stirrings of another race to the bottom, as  OEM's create their own versions of Surface Book and begin underselling MS with more features; lather, rinse, repeat.

That's how it works, and I don't think MS has much of that required customer loyalty to change that.

• Reply 157 of 399
    You lost me - what technology is this "beats" technology?  Beats technology was actually pretty bad (have not tried the new stuff) all puff.  I have generally just stuck with my old Sennheiser headphones - earpods just do nasty things to my ears (one day I might try the molded ones to see if they are better).

Apple will dominate the ear (2016 = Year of the Ear). For people that don't like the earpods (like you) they have the beats headphones. But they are smart for ceding the hipster beats earring market to Google and Microsoft. Why not license the beats tech to them for earring products? Apple can get some of that $3 billion back (from beats acquisition) and still dominate the ear. Leave the hipsters to Google and Microsoft. Year of the Ear!
  • Reply 158 of 399
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    Yeah, the two guys before you told me the same thing a few hours ago. ;)
  • Reply 159 of 399
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who’s to say they’ll be Macs? The Apple was the keyboard computer, the Macintosh was the mouse computer... we need a new cultivar for multitouch.

how bout Apple Canvas?

• Reply 160 of 399
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

USB is not the way. It is slow. That is the decades old SneakerNet. With wifi you just copy the files once, not copy onto a USB and then off the USB. Adobe is really pushing cloud storage because the networks are getting fast enough these days plus with cloud you can do things like share and collaborate.

I should have added a "C" to USB.  But either port, Thunderbolt or USB C is better than none.