Video shows pilot sending image from iPhone to second plane at 35,000 feet with AirDrop

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2017
Taking peer-to-peer direct wireless transfers to new heights, a new video shows Apple's AirDrop technology being used to send pictures taken from one plane to another in-flight, at 35,000 feet.

Frequent YouTube poster LouB747 posted the video on Aug. 3. The video depicts him in the pilot seat, communicating from 35,000 feet, with the other Singapore Airlines plane at 36,000 feet in close proximity.

The pilot sent pictures of the plane in flight to the other plane, with the recipient acknowledging receipt on the plane's radio.

The YouTube channel contains many other videos about commercial aviation.

The physics of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are a bit different at altitude, with no intervening obstacles other than the aircraft's skin.

While Apple's published data on Bluetooth and wi-fi note a range of 30 feet, both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi have significantly longer ranges at ground level even with obstacles. Presumably, the thinner air, the line-of-sight, and lack of notable RF shielding increase the range on the technology at that altitude.

While AppleInsider couldn't directly confirm the authenticity of the transfer as depicted, we spoke to a former naval aviator who has transitioned to commercial flight. He confirmed to us that this is not all that uncommon amongst pilots, and he has done it at approximately the same range and altitude on more than one occasion.
lolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    "Hey can you maneuver your 747 a bit closer to mine, your just out of range, I've got some great pictures to share."
    melodyof1974doozydozenflashfan207YvLyxzucornchiplolliver
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Four reactions:
      1. Cool
      2. Isn't 1000 feet separation too close for safety?
      3. Shouldn't he "keep his eyes on the road"?
      4. What about the "cell phones can interrupt flight operations" claim?
    melodyof1974randominternetpersonSolibshanklostkiwiYvLyxzucornchipbigmikelolliver
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Wow. 

And I get annoyed when I see people driving and texting…
    melodyof1974radarthekatlostkiwiYvLyxzucornchip
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Four reactions:
      1. Cool
    1: Yeah, I agree
    2: 1000 feet is fine, according to regulations. 
    3: Most commercial flights are on autopilot at altitude. Plus, there's a co-pilot.
    4: They can, and probably do in any major volume. One device isn't probably an issue. 135 at the same time probably are.

foregoneconclusionStrangeDaysSolijbdragondoozydozenSendMcjakanantksundaramxzu
  • Reply 5 of 32
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Nice, but am I correct he says he has got some nice pictures of them and the photo he sent is from yesterday... Maybe extra long intercontinental flight?
  • Reply 6 of 32
    JanNL said:
    Nice, but am I correct he says he has got some nice pictures of them and the photo he sent is from yesterday... Maybe extra long intercontinental flight?
    That's why I made some calls. Parallel routes aren't uncommon. The picture may be from an earlier flight.
  • Reply 7 of 32
  • Reply 8 of 32
    MacPro said:
    "Hey can you maneuver your 747 a bit closer to mine, your just out of range, I've got some great pictures to share."
    The other plane is a 777. The target device is probably the 777's iPad flight book, given the name.
    anton zuykovxzuneo-tech
  • Reply 9 of 32
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Wow. 

And I get annoyed when I see people driving and texting…
    Well, most cars don't have autopilot but yes I get where you're coming from.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    Four reactions:
      1. Cool
    2. no. It is RVSM and min separation that is allowed vertically is 1000 ft, which is what they had, because the author of the video was at FL350, and the other plane was sitting at FL360.
    3. He keeps his eyes on the instrumentation and occasionally - looks outside.
    4. Not when you are at FL3xx. Cell phone signal might interfere with signals from approach nav systems when you land. However, when airplane is flying in cruise, it relies on IRS and GPS. And neither is affected by radiosignals in wifi / gsm part of the spectrum.
    edited August 2017 randominternetpersonjbdragonSendMcjaktgr1flashfan207dedgeckocornchiplolliverneo-tech
  • Reply 11 of 32
    MacPro said:
    The other plane is a 777. The target device is probably the 777's iPad flight book, given the name.
    They usually call it - EFB, electronic flight bag. 
    tgr1
  • Reply 12 of 32
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Well I guess that really is a AirDrop!!!
    radarthekatflashfan207anton zuykovlostkiwixzucornchiplolliver
  • Reply 13 of 32
    MacPro said:
    You're saying it's possible that I can just airdrop dickpics to my pilot's iPad flight book anytime I'm flying commercial...?
    peterhartLordeHawkradarthekatcornchiplolliver
  • Reply 14 of 32
    MacPro said:
    You're saying it's possible that I can just airdrop dickpics to my pilot's iPad flight book anytime I'm flying commercial...?
    As long as the pilot agrees by confirming that transaction, the answer is - yes
    peterharttgr1radarthekatcornchiplolliver
  • Reply 15 of 32
    MacPro said:
    If it's consensual, sure.
    cornchip
  • Reply 16 of 32
    MarkisMarkis Posts: 1member
    kramasnu said:

That's cellular function only. Modern flight rules allow wifi throughout the entire flight, even takeoff/landing, and presumably there's no special restriction on Bluetooth. You can turn both of those on after activating Airplane Mode.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Four reactions:
      1. Cool
    2. no. It is RVSM and min separation that is allowed vertically is 1000 ft, which is what they had, because the author of the video was at FL350, and the other plane was sitting at FL360.
    3. He keeps his eyes on the instrumentation and occasionally - looks outside.
    4. Not when you are at FL3xx. Cell phone signal might interfere with signals from approach nav systems when you land. However, when airplane is flying in cruise, it relies on IRS and GPS. And neither is affected by radiosignals in wifi / gsm part of the spectrum.
    Thanks.  I sincerely appreciate such an informed response.
    xzu
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Wait? Didn't I see this a few years ago in an Apple commercial? Wait, no, that was inside the plane. ;)

https://youtu.be/sdXp6qLSoTE
  • Reply 19 of 32
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Wowwee, how neat.

I can imagine this feature being useful in emergencies.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    ccaklccakl Posts: 2member
    Looks fake. If you look closely the plane icon on the top left indicates 'Aeroplane Mode' is on. If you try it on your iPhone when you try and send a photo via Airdrop when Aeroplane mode is on, next to where the devices would show it says "AirDrop. Tap to turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to share with Airdrop." In the video whilst Aeroplane mode is activated, as soon as he selects the photos to send, a device appears and next to it "Tap to share with Airdrop".
    chaickacornchip