Apple delays HomePod launch until 'early 2018'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 133
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    tzeshan said:
    Apple's problem is software.  It is ridiculous hundreds of millions of iPhone users have to install and updates new iOS weekly.  Monthly may be a more reasonable period. I refuse to install iOS 11 because I hate the constant reminder from Apple to install new OSs which are mainly to fix bugs and some are not ever related to my phone. 
    You have a choice: go for Android. Bugs are expected in every new released OS on new handsets. It’s good that Apple takes care of it in a week. For Android, you’ll wait for months!
    LukeCagewilliamlondongregoriusmchiacornchipwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 133
    We'll start shipping in the U.S., U.K. and Australia in early 2018,"

No Canada. I thought we were friends. I blame Trump.
    ;-)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 133
    Sad face. Now I gotta think of another Christmas gift for myself.
    Give them AirPods
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 133
    Clearly, Apple is doomed.
    doozydozencornchipJWSChmurchison
  • Reply 25 of 133
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Not like waiting in line for iPhone X, so no big deal. In fact, release with other iDevices upgrade in Spring/summer.
  • Reply 26 of 133
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    tzeshan said:
    I was laughed at a few months ago here because I said Tim cool is a poor leader. 
    There is far more evidence that you are a loser than Tim is a poor leader.
    williamlondonboxcatcherrandominternetpersonchiastompydewmepatchythepiratecornchipwatto_cobralukei
  • Reply 27 of 133
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    fallenjt said:
    tzeshan said:
    Apple's problem is software.  It is ridiculous hundreds of millions of iPhone users have to install and updates new iOS weekly.  Monthly may be a more reasonable period. I refuse to install iOS 11 because I hate the constant reminder from Apple to install new OSs which are mainly to fix bugs and some are not ever related to my phone. 
    You have a choice: go for Android. Bugs are expected in every new released OS on new handsets. It’s good that Apple takes care of it in a week. For Android, you’ll wait for months!
    Android is much worse! 
  • Reply 28 of 133
    Ugh, who cares. Cancel it and create a proper home-hub. There is zero market demand for an overpriced semi-smart speaker. People who care about sound quality are going to buy real speakers; people who want home automation are going to buy a cheap Echo Dot. Stop letting 50+ year olds make product decisions based on hi-fi wet dreams of yesteryear.
    tokyojimuflyingdpentropyscornchiplukei
  • Reply 29 of 133
    Good. They weren't going to release it in Canada this year anyway. If I can't have it, you can't either. Exactly how it should be. Also something Apple forgets all too often- Google Apple Pay Cash or CarPlay speed limits for details. 
    randominternetpersonJWSC
  • Reply 30 of 133
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    If it's delayed, that has to mean they haven't even started manufacturing yet.   And yet from the previews, it seemed totally designed.   So something must be wrong with it and I'll ask the question I've asked before:  sales and marketing aside, what exactly is it that everyone else at Apple actually does?   It seems like an awful lot of employees for the relatively few products and operating systems that Apple has.    
  • Reply 31 of 133
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    tzeshan said:
    I hear you!  I too HATE the “we regularly update our apps to...”. If they would just say “because we can’t afford talent to do it eighth the first time on time” at least I’d respect them. However, I will grant you that cyber security will never rest so there is an element of that, too. I think like you, however, that monthly is frequent enough for the ecosystem of apps and iOSes. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 133
    zroger73 said:
    I'll continue to enjoy and utilize my Amazon Echos as smart speakers.
    Do they do AirPlay? Generally, how do you use them with an iPhone/iPad? Do they just appear and work, or is it like Sonos?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 133
    One less Christmas gift under the tree for people interested in this (I don’t count myself among them).
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 34 of 133
    This is weird.  Some speculation:

- airplay 2 is harder to execute than expected (seems unlikely as it largely replicates what is available when streaming from the Mac to airplay speakers)
    - there were unannounced surprise features (only think this as the announced features did not seem so groundbreaking)
    - don't want to crowd out watch purchases for holiday (again, unlikely, as Apple seems fine with displacing its own products)

You'll note that I don't put much weight on any of my own speculations on the reason for the delay.  I am super disappointed as Google Home is the worst (we bought one to see how it compared to Echo).
    patchythepirateasdasd
  • Reply 35 of 133
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    After people calling Elon Musk a hack and backing up their comments that Tesla will be shutting down any day now because the Model 3 isn't being produced as fast as initially intended (even though it did make it launch date) I guess we need to say the same thing about Apple and Cook (and about Jobs when he ran the company) now that Apple has once again delayed a launch date that they gave themselves.
    boxcatchermuthuk_vanalingamchiaJWSCphilboogie
  • Reply 36 of 133
    zroger73 said:
    I'll continue to enjoy and utilize my Amazon Echos as smart speakers.
    Do they do AirPlay? Generally, how do you use them with an iPhone/iPad? Do they just appear and work, or is it like Sonos?
    Your iPhone will play through bluetooth to any speaker. 
    AMcKinlay21
  • Reply 37 of 133

Soli said:
    After people calling Elon Musk a hack and backing up their comments that Tesla will be shutting down any day now because the Model 3 isn't being produced as fast as initially intended (even though it did make it launch date) I guess we need to say the same thing about Apple and Cook (and about Jobs when he ran the company) now that Apple has once again delayed a launch date that they gave themselves.
    Not just fast enough.  Model 3 is in a manufacturing hell.  
    welshdog
  • Reply 38 of 133
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Apple has a track record for what "early in the year" means. It doesn't mean January.

This could be June 30, 2018. Or not.
  • Reply 39 of 133
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    tzeshan said:
    I was laughed at a few months ago here because I said Tim cool is a poor leader. 
    And rightly so. As if a delay means anything. Besides, Jobs, never operated Apple at the scale (hundreds of millions of iphones etc) that Cook does.
    williamlondonboxcatcherrandominternetpersonwelshdogchiaStrangeDayswatto_cobraJWSCbrucemc
  • Reply 40 of 133
    tzeshan said:
    A poor leader would have shipped a product that was not ready for consumers. This is a good sign, it means Apple is serious about this product. 
    williamlondonboxcatchermacxpressgregoriusmlevichiadewmeStrangeDayswatto_cobraJWSC