Apple delays HomePod launch until 'early 2018'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 133
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    They announced this to put it on the radar. The purpose was served. The delay will be disappointing for some, frustrating for others and irrelevant to many.

Seeing as they had indicated that an assistant speaker wasn't really needed, they stood to lose sales to competitors this Christmas if they hadn't pre-announced it. Anyone who wanted a speaker of this type would have gone with Google or Amazon. At least now they can take a better informed decision and wait, or bite on something else. They even know how much it will cost.
    edited November 2017 cornchip
  • Reply 42 of 133
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tzeshan said:
    I was laughed at a few months ago here because I said Tim cool is a poor leader. 
    And I’m laughing at you now for suggesting that a delay means that the CEO is shit. Jobs has countless delays, but are you going to say Jobs was also a shit CEO?
    edited November 2017 boxcatchergregoriusmwatto_cobracali
  • Reply 43 of 133
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    tzeshan said:
    I was laughed at a few months ago here because I said Tim cool is a poor leader. 
    And I’m still laughing. 
    williamlondonboxcatcherwatto_cobraJWSCpscooter63
  • Reply 44 of 133
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

tzeshan said:
    Apple's problem is software.  It is ridiculous hundreds of millions of iPhone users have to install and updates new iOS weekly.  Monthly may be a more reasonable period. I refuse to install iOS 11 because I hate the constant reminder from Apple to install new OSs which are mainly to fix bugs and some are not ever related to my phone. 
    So, the reason you’re not installing it is because you hate being reminded to install it. 

This is the kind of ‘logic’ that gets Mr Spock really ticked off. 

edited November 2017 boxcatcherwilliamlondonrandominternetpersonmike1Solicornchipcalipscooter63
  • Reply 45 of 133
    Meanwhile, the recent Tesla article is loaded with haters bashing Musk because he doesn’t deliver on-time.

If this slip occurred within a year of Jobs’ death, I guarantee this article would be loaded with comments about Cook being incompetent and how Apple is doomed.

I’m convinced some people just hate change and new ideas. Oh, hi, Mr. President.
    watto_cobraJWSC
  • Reply 46 of 133
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
     I am super disappointed as Google Home is the worst (we bought one to see how it compared to Echo).
    The worst? For your particular use case perhaps an Echo is better. I gave my Echo to my daughter months ago, using Google Home instead which for me is a better device. Also sounds a bit better IMO, tho a tad on the bass-y side. All depends on what you use it for I guess. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 47 of 133
    fallenjt said:
    tzeshan said:
    Apple's problem is software.  It is ridiculous hundreds of millions of iPhone users have to install and updates new iOS weekly.  Monthly may be a more reasonable period. I refuse to install iOS 11 because I hate the constant reminder from Apple to install new OSs which are mainly to fix bugs and some are not ever related to my phone. 
    You have a choice: go for Android. Bugs are expected in every new released OS on new handsets. It’s good that Apple takes care of it in a week. For Android, you’ll wait for months!
    In some cases, you will be waiting forever with Android. Previously, unlocked Samsung phones didn't receive software updates. Apparently that's changing now with the S8 and Galaxy Note 8, but who knows. I have yet to see an update on my Galaxy Note 8 (was given to me for free, didn't buy it). 
    cornchipwatto_cobracali
  • Reply 48 of 133
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    steven n. said:
    It's a speaker. At the end of the day, regardless how good it is, it is a speaker with WiFi/easy pairing. Given Google and Amazon are pumping these out left and right???

Really? Delayed?
    If Apple wanted to churn out a mediocre, me-too product, I can guarantee this would be shipping already.  The only mistake here is that they announced it too early in the product cycle.  Likely because they wanted to make the Christmas buying season (a strategy Apple generally likes to avoid).
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 49 of 133
    A bit disappointing to hear. It was on my list too, but I'm not too upset.

When this was announced I picked up 3 near perfect condition iPod HiFi units on eBay at less than $100 each. With a $30 bluetooth module plugged into the aux port, I can wirelessly stream music to any of them from any of my devices. In fact, because I have so many old iOS devices lying around, each iPod HiFi has a dedicated iOS device that streams to it. All of those are logged in to my Apple Music, so I am having a great experience.

I don't miss the Siri functionality since I can invoke Siri from my wrist, or AirPod or iPhone, or iPad, or Mac, or TV remote (I frequently use the Apple TV remote to turn off the lights in the living room). Having yet another way of talking to Siri is not that crucial for me. And did I mention, the HiFi units sound great? I doubt the HomePod will sound as good, but I'm looking forward to finding out.
    randominternetpersonentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 133
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    tzeshan said:
    I still laugh at you. I guess Apple is the only company that has delays. 

Isn't Musk being sued for the delays in the new Tesla model? I guess he's a poor leader Too 
    williamlondonwatto_cobracaliJWSC
  • Reply 51 of 133
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    tzeshan said:
    macxpress said:
    tzeshan said:
    Never mind the endless amount of things delayed under Steve. I guess he was a poor leader too. 

tzeshan said:
    yes, its absolutely ridiculous that Apple fixes their OS. Maybe they should be like Android and just drop support 2 months after the phone comes out. 
    Pointless accusation to Jobs. 
    Only because it invalidates your argument...otherwise, its perfectly fine. I guess Apple should just rush shit out...then you can bitch and whine about Tim rushing something out that isn't ready and how poor of a CEO he is. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. 
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 52 of 133
    fallenjt said:
    tzeshan said:
    You have a choice: go for Android. Bugs are expected in every new released OS on new handsets. It’s good that Apple takes care of it in a week. For Android, you’ll wait for months!
    [my Galaxy Note 8 (was given to me for free, didn't buy it). ]
    Love the disclaimer! :-)
    muthuk_vanalingamcornchipwatto_cobracali
  • Reply 53 of 133
    People who care about sound quality are going to buy real speakers; people who want home automation are going to buy a cheap Echo Dot.
    Exactly. Who would buy a $350 dumb-as-rocks-Siri-controlled speaker when you can just hook up a $30~$50 Dot to a nice sound system. It's really embarrassing how far behind Siri has been left in the dust. Why oh why can't I ask Siri to just play a radio station or channel like I can with Alexa?
    boxcatcherentropys
  • Reply 54 of 133
    Soli said:
    After people calling Elon Musk a hack and backing up their comments that Tesla will be shutting down any day now because the Model 3 isn't being produced as fast as initially intended (even though it did make it launch date) I guess we need to say the same thing about Apple and Cook (and about Jobs when he ran the company) now that Apple has once again delayed a launch date that they gave themselves.

Are you comparing the HomePod (a minor product that if it's spectacularly successful won't add 1% to Apple's bottom line) to Telsa's first foray into the mass automobile market that will determine the future of the company?  Seems a little off to me.  Except for Apple nerds like us, almost no one has even heard of the HomePod, so a few month delay is irrelevant.  If Apple had to delay the iPhone X, you'd be closer to the mark.  But they didn't, obviously.
    welshdogmuthuk_vanalingamcornchipwatto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 55 of 133
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Ugh, who cares. Cancel it and create a proper home-hub. There is zero market demand for an overpriced semi-smart speaker. People who care about sound quality are going to buy real speakers; people who want home automation are going to buy a cheap Echo Dot. Stop letting 50+ year olds make product decisions based on hi-fi wet dreams of yesteryear.
    Agreed for the most part. We're an all iPhone/iPad/Mac household with the exception of our Plex Media Server, but I we do love our Amazon Echo Dots. We've got one for upstairs in the bedroom, and one downstairs to control all of our smart home devices (light fixtures, ceiling fans, power outlets, etc). I got both Echo Dots for around $35 each on sale. 

I can't think of a way in which the HomePod would be a better solution for us.
  • Reply 56 of 133
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Ugh, who cares. Cancel it and create a proper home-hub. There is zero market demand for an overpriced semi-smart speaker. People who care about sound quality are going to buy real speakers; people who want home automation are going to buy a cheap Echo Dot. Stop letting 50+ year olds make product decisions based on hi-fi wet dreams of yesteryear.
    Ridiculous comment by somebody extending their perspective to everybody else in the world.
    Personally, I prefer better sound quality even in secondary areas. I also have a primary audio system.
    I will put a Home Pod in two bedrooms and my office.
    That's my personal situation. I don't presume to think that everybody does or should have the same point of view.
    welshdogBluntcornchipcali
  • Reply 57 of 133
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Probably looking for people actually interested in a smart speaker.  Personally i don't get the attraction in these things.  
    cornchip
  • Reply 58 of 133
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I will consider getting one after I read detailed reviews. Would be useful in the bedroom or even the bathroom if it can handle humidity.
  • Reply 59 of 133
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Meanwhile, the recent Tesla article is loaded with haters bashing Musk because he doesn’t deliver on-time.

If this slip occurred within a year of Jobs’ death, I guarantee this article would be loaded with comments about Cook being incompetent and how Apple is doomed.

I’m convinced some people just hate change and new ideas. Oh, hi, Mr. President.
    All the hating with respect to late deliveries is nonsense.    There are lots of reasons to be disappointed with Cooks Apple, the Mac line comes to mind.   However you are generally better off delaying something that doesn't work right.  

As for Mr President he is actually bringing change to Washington.   Change that has been needed for mire than 2 decades.  
    entropyscornchip
  • Reply 60 of 133
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I have a Sonos One. It seems to do almost exactly what the HomePod will do and it integrates with my existing Sonos system. Apple can hardly claim it’s a break through product now.
    williamlondon