Apple delays HomePod launch until 'early 2018'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 133
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    LukeCage said:
    tzeshan said:
    I was laughed at a few months ago here because I said Tim cool is a poor leader. 
    A poor leader would have shipped a product that was not ready for consumers. This is a good sign, it means Apple is serious about this product. 
    A good leader should not disappoint fans. Cook cannot match the reception Jobs received when introducing new products. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 62 of 133
    d_2d_2 Posts: 122member
    There’s gotta’ be unknown functionality for the price point of $349 ... included WiFi Mesh / extension would have me interested

sidenote - I’m amazed how Amazon continues to add additional types of Echo options - the new one for $129(?) with a decent screen is interesting 
  • Reply 63 of 133
    Am I the one only one that doesn’t mind? iPhone X is dominating. Watch 3 is dominating its own market. iMac Pro on its way. iPad Pro with iOS 11 is a game changer. MacBook pros are better than ever. Hell even AirPods are selling better than ever. I think they can afford to forgo HomePod a little while longer. 
    macky the mackycornchiprazorpit
  • Reply 64 of 133
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,262member
    I think Apple realised Siri needs to be a whole lot better for the HomePod to get any traction at all. It needs to be better as a whole than any competing product, not just better sound, to be successful at that price point.
    cali
  • Reply 65 of 133
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,913member
    dachar said:
    I have a Sonos One. It seems to do almost exactly what the HomePod will do and it integrates with my existing Sonos system. Apple can hardly claim it’s a break through product now.
    And you can claim this because.....

You've never ever seen HomePod nor used one so this is a BS statement until otherwise proven. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 66 of 133
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    d_2 said:
    There’s gotta’ be unknown functionality for the price point of $349 ... included WiFi Mesh / extension would have me interested

sidenote - I’m amazed how Amazon continues to add additional types of Echo options - the new one for $129(?) with a decent screen is interesting 
    The sound quality on the Homepod will have to be exceptional and a notch above any of the cheap competitors to generate any real interest by consumers who care about sound quality. Right now Homepod is priced below most of the high end European speakers so maybe Apple is looking to grab sales from that segment by undercutting price.  And like you say it seems for the price stated, there should be some significant features that have not yet been revealed.
  • Reply 67 of 133
    You’re looking at this the wrong way...

By pre-announcing this product, they will reduce the number of Echos and Google Homes being purchased this holiday season by Apple customers by the tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands.  Sure those are going to sell regardless, but those waiting for the Apple version now know it will exist, and will wait for it instead of opting for the alternative.

The missed December release date won’t make too much of a difference as long as they get it out in the first quarter. In fact it may help that quarters sales numbers considering the holiday quarter is already expected to be a record breaker.
    edited November 2017 cornchipmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 68 of 133
    tzeshan said:
    LukeCage said:
    tzeshan said:
    I was laughed at a few months ago here because I said Tim cool is a poor leader. 
    A poor leader would have shipped a product that was not ready for consumers. This is a good sign, it means Apple is serious about this product. 
    A good leader should not disappoint fans. Cook cannot match the reception Jobs received when introducing new products. 
    I don't get the disappointment? Please explain...

Tim is not Steve...we all know that. Tim knows that and has probably even publicly admitted that somewhere. However, I think people like you fail to realize that Apple is far better off today than it ever was when Steve was CEO. Apple has its products in the hands of far more people around that world, its making more money than it ever has, and its innovating new technologies that others are copying just like before under Steve. Apple is doing all of this without the grand presentation of Steve Jobs. I'm sorry you may not agree the direction Apple is going in, but Apple is in a better place today. Its not falling to its feet like some thought it would because Steve isn't here anymore. 

Don't be so quick to ask for Tim to be out...you might just be sorry you asked. Apple will not find another Steve Jobs...he's was a special type of person that Apple will not replace. Every CEO will take Apple in the direction they want to and when any CEO starts having this "What would Steve do" mentality...Apple is in deep shit! I myself would be upset if someone came in as CEO trying to be Steve. 
    chiacaliJWSCmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonrandominternetperson
  • Reply 69 of 133

entropys said:
    I think Apple realised Siri needs to be a whole lot better for the HomePod to get any traction at all. It needs to be better as a whole than any competing product, not just better sound, to be successful at that price point.
    BINGO! I have to think this is exactly the reason. The hardware is the easy part...its the software that makes this thing work is the hard part. Not only does it work, it has to work better than anything out there. This is why Apple isn't ever the first to release something new. It should never be about shoving something out the door just to make a few people happy...it should be about release something when its ready. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 70 of 133
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    macxpress said:
    dachar said:
    I have a Sonos One. It seems to do almost exactly what the HomePod will do and it integrates with my existing Sonos system. Apple can hardly claim it’s a break through product now.

You haven't ever seen HomePod nor used one so its a BS statement until otherwise proven. 
    Your comment is rude. I have seen the Apple presentation and video and read the AI editorial. You show a lack of understanding of the word almost. 
  • Reply 71 of 133
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    entropys said:
    I think you’ve nailed. Siri is still too much of a toy at the moment, and this will show up when she’s inside a device that’s not that different from the competition, instead of having her shortcomings masked by a superior phone. 
  • Reply 72 of 133
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    Soli said:
    After people calling Elon Musk a hack and backing up their comments that Tesla will be shutting down any day now because the Model 3 isn't being produced as fast as initially intended (even though it did make it launch date) I guess we need to say the same thing about Apple and Cook (and about Jobs when he ran the company) now that Apple has once again delayed a launch date that they gave themselves.
    Are you comparing the HomePod (a minor product that if it's spectacularly successful won't add 1% to Apple's bottom line) to Telsa's first foray into the mass automobile market that will determine the future of the company?  Seems a little off to me.  Except for Apple nerds like us, almost no one has even heard of the HomePod, so a few month delay is irrelevant.  If Apple had to delay the iPhone X, you'd be closer to the mark.  But they didn't, obviously.
    1) I'm comparing the statement that delays mean the company is about to fold. And don't act like this is the first product to be delayed by Apple. They do this with frequency. I I wish Apple would under promise and over deliver like they did with the Intel transition, but while that happened during the Steve Jobs era, it was still a rarity for the company.

2) The flip side to your argument is that Tesla and Musk have less of everything compared to Apple and Cook, and that an automobile has a lot more part, a massive number of regulations, and is much harder to build, yet Tesla made their self-appointed launch date and Apple didn't with what you describe as a "minor product" so there shouldn't be any major unknowns, especially just a couple weeks before December, for something so workaday.

3) Do you really want Apple to keep pulling this promise now and let customers hold off on buying another product because of their marketshare, the way Microsoft did to constantly hurt sales of would be competitors? I don't.
    edited November 2017 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 73 of 133
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    Blip. Much is being made about this delay in the financial press, despite the fact they all panned the unit's capability to change the quarterly numbers beyond a percent or two.
    cornchiprandominternetperson
  • Reply 74 of 133
    dachar said:
    macxpress said:
    dachar said:

You haven't ever seen HomePod nor used one so its a BS statement until otherwise proven. 
    Your comment is rude. I have seen the Apple presentation and video and read the AI editorial. You show a lack of understanding of the word almost. 
    Its not rude...its realistic. Until you've actually used something you can't make an honest assessment.
    JWSC
  • Reply 75 of 133
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    gatorguy said:
    The worst? For your particular use case perhaps an Echo is better. I gave my Echo to my daughter months ago, using Google Home instead which for me is a better device. Also sounds a bit better IMO, tho a tad on the bass-y side. All depends on what you use it for I guess. 

How to trigger Gatorguy: say something bad about Google and your done. What a joke.
    anantksundaramcornchipcalipscooter63williamlondon
  • Reply 76 of 133
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,139member
    steven n. said:
    It's a speaker. At the end of the day, regardless how good it is, it is a speaker with WiFi/easy pairing. Given Google and Amazon are pumping these out left and right???

Really? Delayed?
    There's speakers and there's SPEAKERS.

The early Google and Amazon ones don't have particularly good sound.
  • Reply 77 of 133
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    entropys said:
    I might agree with you if Apple weren't marketing the HomePod as a premium-sound "intelligent" speaker rather than a home assistant. In fact Apple pretty much avoided promoting Siri capabilities as a reason to buy it. At the time several posters here felt that was a smart move, let Siri gradually improve after the Home Pod's release, focus instead on the unique speaker functions and sound quality. Personally I don't think Apple would change the focus now and delay the Home Pod to make it an Echo competitor. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 78 of 133
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    mknelson said:
    steven n. said:
    It's a speaker. At the end of the day, regardless how good it is, it is a speaker with WiFi/easy pairing. Given Google and Amazon are pumping these out left and right???

Really? Delayed?
    There's speakers and there's SPEAKERS.

The early Google and Amazon ones don't have particularly good sound.
    1) Why does that matter when you can connect a large variety of speakers to them if music is your primary use. Even now Amazon's been partnering with other companies to include their Alexa service.

2) Do you really think that HomePod will be better than even a mediocre multi-channel surround sound system that many already have in their living room? I don't, so I'm curious what the argument will be when independent tests show that the HomePod isn't nearly on par with such setups and probably a little below the already shipping Sonos One that comes with Alexa built-in.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 79 of 133
    i wonder what apple’s intention was when they first announced the homepod. if it was to stymie the sales of alexa and google home i’m not sure it did the job. amazon and google are now instead making their version of a high fidelity speaker to beat apple to market 🤔
    cornchip
  • Reply 80 of 133
    d_2 said:

When Apple announced the Apple Watch, I could see the value of it to me directly. Sure, it has its quirks, but I like it, and consider it a value. I've never been disappointed by any apple product I've purchased. Well...maybe aside from the Newton, and even it had its charm. I was less disappointed than I was "why did I buy this?"

So too with the HomePod. I don't see the value to me personally. I have speakers, and access to music all I want. Even at less that 1/2 the asking price of this, I've no interest.

My interest point in Amazon's devices is down around the $20 point, and that's just for curiosity rather than functionality I'm interested in. You know...kinda like the Newton.

There are other things I wish Apple would make. Like updated Airports, maybe a Touch Bar keyboard for the Mac. A different remote for AppleTV. An updated MacMini and iPad mini. 
    entropysrandominternetperson