Apple apologizes for iPhone slowdown controversy, will reduce out-of-warranty battery repl...

Comments

• Reply 201 of 233

So, Apple's position is that they're throttling iPhones to make them "last as long as possible." Okay. There would be nothing wrong with that..... had they been transparent about it.

But they hid this. It's not pro-consumer to slow down our phones and hide that we can speed things back up by spending $79 on a new battery. As others have said, many people needlessly spent $500-800 dollars upgrading to a new phone when they didn't have to. Apple's argument presents a false choice between having your phone die or having it slow down. There is a third choice - replace the battery and experience full performance. But that option wasn't disclosed to consumers. Additionally, this hidden 'feature' is nearly forced upon users due to how strongly iOS pushes for updating to the latest version upon release.

I use (and love) Apple products, but I won't defend them on this. This is wrong, it's a huge deal, and those of us who use Apple products should demand a change. Giving users more visibility into battery health and throttling practices is a start, but it's not enough. In addition to giving users a clear-eyed choice on throttling/performance and battery replacement, Apple needs to stop strong-arming people into major iOS updates, updates which introduce both the throttling function AND the new features (which put additional strain on the processor/battery) further necessitating its use. They should continue supporting older versions of iOS with security patches for a predetermined period of time. Stop pressuring customers to update iOS through constant nags and lack of security patches on the version of iOS designed for their hardware.

muthuk_vanalingammaxitAI_lias
  • Reply 202 of 233
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    mavemufc said:
    VRing said:
    They're only doing this after they got caught, and it still doesn't help users that already changed devices.
    If they've already changed devices, why would they need help?
    He means a partial refund of the price they paid prior to this change.
  • Reply 203 of 233
    appleempl said:
    Apple should reopen the ability to downgrade back to iOS 10.
    Not for a battery problem.  having the hardware fault due to overdrawing a worn-out battery is likely more damaging to _YOUR_ computer, than 'oh, my 30 time upgraded game seems a bit laggy on this 2.2 year old hardware on the latest version of the OS'

Now, for other reasons not mentioned here, I would entertain a more complete argument.  but 140 posts into this thread's context, your idea is well past wrong.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 204 of 233
    eightzero said:
    I'd like a $29 battery replacement for my Apple Watch. Because it sure seems like it is dying too.
    If you have an old AW with an old, used up battery, why don’t you get it serviced? Nobody is entitled to free batteries just because. 
    Hum. Where did I say or imply I wanted a free one? Or that I was entitled to anything? I asked for something less expensive for a consumer item that normally lasts a long time.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 205 of 233

So, Apple's position is that they're throttling iPhones to make them "last as long as possible." Okay. There would be nothing wrong with that..... had they been transparent about it.

But they hid this. It's not pro-consumer to slow down our phones and hide that we can speed things back up by spending $79 on a new battery. As others have said, many people needlessly spent $500-800 dollars upgrading to a new phone when they didn't have to. Apple's argument presents a false choice between having your phone die or having it slow down. There is a third choice - replace the battery and experience full performance. But that option wasn't disclosed to consumers. Additionally, this hidden 'feature' is nearly forced upon users due to how strongly iOS pushes for updating to the latest version upon release.

I use (and love) Apple products, but I won't defend them on this. This is wrong, it's a huge deal, and those of us who use Apple products should demand a change. Giving users more visibility into battery health and throttling practices is a start, but it's not enough. In addition to giving users a clear-eyed choice on throttling/performance and battery replacement, Apple needs to stop strong-arming people into major iOS updates, updates which introduce both the throttling function AND the new features (which put additional strain on the processor/battery) further necessitating its use. They should continue supporting older versions of iOS with security patches for a predetermined period of time. Stop pressuring customers to update iOS through constant nags and lack of security patches on the version of iOS designed for their hardware.

They DID NOT HIDE IT. It's in the release note. They assumed that having a throttled SOC under some circumstance is better than a dead phone, they assumed right but should have been more public in showing the degraded battery so users can make better decisions (a bit like low power mode notification).

They'll in fact not change much here, just make what they're doing more visible..

Apple throttles the phones a hell of a lot of times under many of circumstances; try running your a heavy phone app when very cold and see how it runs (or try running it when its very hot). You're not getting peak performance in either circumstances.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 206 of 233
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    dysamoria said:
    Successive iOS versions are more and more bloated and reduce device performance (the GUI is the computer; the computer is the GUI). That's not a conspiracy theory. It's bad software optimization and it's fact. This battery situation was a stupid act by Apple, now sort of addressed, but is not the main problem.
    I cant see iOS 11.2 any slower than iOS 10
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 207 of 233
    appleempl said:
    iOS 10 wasn’t any better than iOS 11.2
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 208 of 233
    Battery replacement should be free, at least for a period of time.

Apple should have disclosed this issue long ago.i am an Apple fan but not a fan boy. There is a difference and evident in many posts here.

Being secretive like always bit them on the ass this time.
  • Reply 209 of 233
    Apple now says the new battery price will be effective immediately.
  • Reply 210 of 233
    wood1208 said:
    matrix077 said:
    wood1208 said:
    Apple - our goal is not to provide complete Reset of IOS device in "Settings" so when new user don't have previous user's appleid, Apple will lock down(Activation Lock) IOS device disabling/bricked forcing user to discard and buy new one. Very clever Apple. Why Apple never provided steps on there web site or on IOS device which we are asking for the last many years. Give us ONE option like "Settings->General->Reset->Erase All Contents, Settings, Past User's References" so before passing IOS device to next/new user, current user just use it to completely clean device so the device acts like Brand new setup.
    You meant for theif to be able to completely wipe your device that easily? You actually want that?
    This is where Apple and we all are wrong. Apple provide best security measure through Passcode, Touch ID, FaceID,iCloud Find my iPhone lock so lost/stolen/thief can not get into iDevice because of such security measures already in place. Problem is when device is erased before passing/selling to new user but some of the credentials of old user is still hanging around. By chance if you need to restore that device(forgot 6 digit passcode), it will revert back to past appleid. I am facing the exact scenario where my iPad was being used in house for months and someone put long passcode and forgot. When I restored, it asked for appleid of someone I bought from. If there was complete reset than I would have asked Seller or myself have done it before handing over the cash. Millions of genuine iDevices have been bricked, unusable. By providing complete reset like every devices on earth do, there is no security of iDevices get compromised to enable thieves to steal and sell. It's miss-conception that allowing "accessible" iDevice to complete erase is giving option for people to steal. If passcode,touchid,icloud lock is in place than no one other than it's user can access it. But, when that user wants to pass on that device to someone willingly than he/she(and new user) wants complete erase of the device; than it is not Apple's responsibility to still control it. That device is paid for so Apple needs to stay out of it. Moreover, Apple never provided clear steps on there web site on what Seller or Buyer must do before transferring the the iDevices. Is it too much to ask Apple on behalf of over billion users on earth using there devices ? I can complete reset/clean my windows,Android device(password accessible) before selling to next user.

Complete nonsense.
    apple explains in detailed way what to do before selling/passing your device to someone else. It’s right on their website but you didn’t take the time to search for it.
    if you set a passcode and then forget it, you are to blame, not Apple.
    I’m very happy about Apple bricking my device if someone steal it.
    edited December 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 211 of 233
    tyler82 said:
    I just spent over $3,000 on a new MacBook Pro, and who's to say that Apple isn't going to throttle it after a year or two of wear of the built- in battery?
    Do you have any hints about Apple throttling MacBooks?
    there is no reason for that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 212 of 233
    remark said:
    My 6 plus battery was replaced late last year by the Genus Bar for $79 - will I receive  $50 refund or credit?
    That’s a good question... last year ? I think you’re done. If it was this year, maybe...
  • Reply 213 of 233
    maxit said:
    Seeing an opportunity from Apple's public relations crisis, some competitors this week issued statements to say that they do not throttle the processing power of older devices.

That was not a publc relations “crisis” but an engineering and testing issue at first place. Slowness claims started with the release of iOS 11, and testing, locating and fixing the issue took until this date. Apple has identified the issue in adequate time and immediately communicated its findings and solutions. There is no “public relations crisis” at all, but some media outlets and trolls won’t stop and will continue to push to create an artificial crisis, even after that. As always, their efforts will be futile...

Big Apple lover here, but you’re wrong. This software fix is out since last year. Apple should have customers warned about that software solution, even if it actually is a good solution. I personally know many customers who replaced their iPhone 6 or 6S just under the impression of poor performance, when a fresh battery could have solved the issue.
    I’m waiting for Tim Cook resignation over this.
    "This software fix is out since last year": you mean iOS 10.2.1

"Apple should have customers warned about that software solution": you mean iOS 10.2.1 release notes.

"I personally know many customers who replaced their iPhone 6 or 6S just under the impression of poor performance, when a fresh battery could have solved the issue.": Yes it is their fault if they didn't contact Genius Bar, authorized service provider or their AppleCare to claim poor performance issue. Of course a fresh battery could have solved the issue but they just didn't choose that way and opted for a new iPhone.

An unusual slowness is always a support issue, not a PR or communication issue. There are myriad of reasons that can cause such a slowness, the aging battery is not the only cause.
    Could you link me to iOS 10.2.1 release note ? I can’t find it anymore, but I’m quite sure it wasn’t reporting a new throttling routine for ruined batteries.
    btw I personally know at least TWO people who actually DID contact Genius Bar and had their phone checked. According to the Genius their phone was “ok” and the only suggested solution was to wipe it off. Solution that didn’t solved the issue.
    both of them ended up buying a new iPhone.
  • Reply 214 of 233
    foggyhill said:

They DID NOT HIDE IT. It's in the release note. They assumed that having a throttled SOC under some circumstance is better than a dead phone, they assumed right but should have been more public in showing the degraded battery so users can make better decisions (a bit like low power mode notification).

They'll in fact not change much here, just make what they're doing more visible..

Apple throttles the phones a hell of a lot of times under many of circumstances; try running your a heavy phone app when very cold and see how it runs (or try running it when its very hot). You're not getting peak performance in either circumstances.
    Same request for you: could you show me the release note ? I don’t remember any reference to throttling performance...
  • Reply 215 of 233
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    maxit said:
    appleempl said:
    I have IOS 10 on an iPhone 7Plus and iOS 11 on a 8Plus.   IOS 11 sucks.    keep running into APPS that they turned into crap.   This update seems to exist only because they wanted to screw over more customers  with the hidden Throttling.

And  This was a "used Car salesman" move on Apples part.    Apple made this announcement so they could get some of the heat off of them.   I bet you Tim Cook's grandma told him that Apple screwed  her over with the update and now her phone sucked. 

Fortunately Apple's legacy of high quality manufacturing quality established under Jobs hasn't been wiped out by the bean counter in Chief - most of the Android phones that lower manufacturing standards like the Google Pixel 1- although I imagine that the substandard battery in the iPhones were a cheap find by the "supply chain genius" Cook.
    That's why no one has been fired over this.  
  • Reply 216 of 233
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

foggyhill said:
    I said from day one when this first errupted this would be a huge PR problem for Apple. I wasn’t wrong. This is a good step though I agree with Ben Bajarin the $29 battery price should be permanent. Also I’m seeing quite a few posts from people saying their phone was fine with iOS 10 but when they upgraded to iOS 11 it really started to slow down. Seems there’s more issues than just the battery. Hopefully future point releases will fix these issues.
    That huge PR problem exists in your wild imagination. No serious engineer talks without getting the results of the tests, benchmarks and other analysis. And Apple is managed by a serious engineer.
    Ha, if it only exists in my imagination why did Apple release a statement? Why did they reduce the price of a battery replacement by $50? Why are they adding new features to iOS to give customers more visibility to the health of their battery? This was a huge PR issue that has affected Apple’s reputation and people’s trust in the company. You have have your head in the sand if you think otherwise.
    Because it’s easier to spend money to change the narrative than trying to fix rampant misinformation and recall the distorted narrative that’s already out there. 

Easier , to accept you did not communicate properly and that some people may feel hurt by this error, and fix the perception issue to what amount as buying the peace. Letting the narrative, no matter how false it is, escalate further, may have damaged the brand which is far more costly. 
    What’s the false narrative? That they were throttling phones without alerting the user?
    Don’t be daft. the false narrative is obviously the one all over the hater rags — that apple is slowing down phones to make people upgrade as part of a conspiracy of planned obsolescence. You know, like the french lawsuit alleges. 
    Well I’m not reading the “hater rags”. What I’m mostly seeing is people complaining about lack of communication and transparency. And based on what Apple just announced they obviously were getting that feedback too.
    Yes is the sort of dick move on Apple's part where when the Apple executives and board of director's sat down with their family and friends for Christmas they probably heard: "This is crap.  You screwed me"
  • Reply 217 of 233
    maxit said:
    foggyhill said:

Same request for you: could you show me the release note ? I don’t remember any reference to throttling performance...
    I don’t know what was in the release notes but Matthew Panzarino reported on it back in February. 0f course the statement they gave at the time wasn’t really clear and all the tech sites reporting on it referred to it as Apple tweaking the power management system. I don’t remember seeing anyone specifically report that Apple was throttling the processor.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/23/apple-says-ios-10-2-1-has-reduced-unexpected-iphone-6s-shutdown-issues-by-80/
  • Reply 218 of 233
    k2kw said:
    maxit said:
    appleempl said:
    I have IOS 10 on an iPhone 7Plus and iOS 11 on a 8Plus.   IOS 11 sucks.    keep running into APPS that they turned into crap.   This update seems to exist only because they wanted to screw over more customers  with the hidden Throttling.

And  This was a "used Car salesman" move on Apples part.    Apple made this announcement so they could get some of the heat off of them.   I bet you Tim Cook's grandma told him that Apple screwed  her over with the update and now her phone sucked. 

Fortunately Apple's legacy of high quality manufacturing quality established under Jobs hasn't been wiped out by the bean counter in Chief - most of the Android phones that lower manufacturing standards like the Google Pixel 1- although I imagine that the substandard battery in the iPhones were a cheap find by the "supply chain genius" Cook.
    iOS 11.2 is by far the best iOS released. Performance wise is similar to iOS 10, but with a lot of useful features.
    Even on my wife’s 6S, or on my son’s Mini 4, it runs flawlessly.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 219 of 233

maxit said:
    foggyhill said:

I don’t know what was in the release notes but Matthew Panzarino reported on it back in February. 0f course the statement they gave at the time wasn’t really clear and all the tech sites reporting on it referred to it as Apple tweaking the power management system. I don’t remember seeing anyone specifically report that Apple was throttling the processor.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/23/apple-says-ios-10-2-1-has-reduced-unexpected-iphone-6s-shutdown-issues-by-80/
    Thank you very much. As I was thinking, Apple didn’t say anything about performance throttling...
    So my point stands: Apple is guilty for not warning customers about what was happening on their devices.
    And, believe me, I’m very sorry to say that...
    r2d2
  • Reply 220 of 233
    k2kw said:
    maxit said:
    appleempl said:

More bullshitting, come bring it on.
    watto_cobratmay