Dell XPS 13 9370 vs. Apple's 13-inch MacBook Pro, the ultimate comparison

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 1,151member
    danvm said:
    You can manage numbers and stats to show different results.  But as a whole, Mac are still less than 10 percent of the whole market.  Last year 259.5 PC's were sold and 20M of them were Mac's.  
    Yes, that's what I'm saying, basically. 'Whole market' is kind of the tricky term. Do we really mean.... all computing devices, whether embedded controllers, servers, or on office desks or at home, etc. Or, do we mean, 'what is the typical computer user out there using'? If the latter, it's way higher than 10%.

It's kind of like the Android to iOS ratio. Are we counting in-use in a substantial smart-phone manner, or all the ones included in cereal boxes, sitting in sock drawers?
    cornchip
  • Reply 102 of 110
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 273member
    cropr said:
    I founded in 2012 a software development company and in the company we have both Macbook Pro (13" and 15") and Dell XPS (13" and 15") as standard machines for the developers, so I have a pretty good view on the pros and cons of both machines.   All Dell XPS 13" machines are Ubuntu pre-installed, Dell XPS 15" comes always pre-installed with Windows, but the first thing we do is to install Ubuntu on it.

[...]

The same applies for the OS.  MacOS is on some aspects better than Ubuntu, but on some others it is the opposite.  Most tools my developers use, run on both platforms. The Adobe Creative Cloud and Sketch are essential apps for my designers and are not available on Ubuntu, so my graphical artists have a Mac.  My developers agree that Dolphin, the KDE based file manager on Ubuntu is significantly better that Finder on macOS.  Maybe it is time Apple spend some time on Finder.   The cloud services we develop run on Ubuntu servers and here Ubuntu on the Dell XPS has an advantage. On a Mac we could use solutions like Vagrant, but this results in a performance hit. 

[...]

So is the price difference justified?  For graphical designers it is, for back end developers it isn't, for front end developers I am not sure.  And that's why I have both machines in my company.
    Very interesting perspective and thank you for sharing. I have reached similar conclusions - most development tools are fine, but as soon a you need to do prototyping and design and start working with graphics/video/typefaces (i.e. Sketch/Creative Suite/Pixelmator etc.) the options just aren't there on Linux (and to a lesser extend Windows). It is a shame because it is keeping Apple lazy with Mac.

Day to day I've been impressed with Ubuntu and for most software development far preferable to Windows.  Chrome OS will now support linux applications for developers so that may end up being a better option than Ubuntu.

• Reply 103 of 110
    Why on earth is ANYONE comparing an " Ultrabook" to a "Laptop" ? Especially to Apple's lowest end Laptop? Also, the choice of Apple laptops that has so few ports!? I have worked with these Dell " shiny" screened cool looking XPS laptops and they are complete garbage. If the battery needs to get replaced, Send it back to Dell because there's approx. 50 screws one need to remove to get the batteries replaced. Also, that " cool" shiny XPS screen is too prone to Window Glare! Imagine that! Sorry for my rant, but that's how annoying I find these garbage Dell laptops.
  • Reply 104 of 110
    Why on earth is ANYONE comparing an " Ultrabook" to a "Laptop" ? Especially to Apple's lowest end Laptop? I have worked with these Dell " shiny" screened cool looking XPS laptops and they are complete garbage. If the battery needs to get replaced, Send it back to Dell because there's approx. 50 screws one need to remove to get the batteries replaced. The battery life on the XPSs is A JOKE! They last for 1-2 years, then send it back to Dell for a new battery! People love to complain that Apple's laptops are glued in, YET they last WAAAAAYYYY Longer than PC laptops HANDSDOWN!
    cornchip
  • Reply 105 of 110
    From my own professional Desktop Support 2 experience in 500 -1000 employee companies, I have had STACKS of these Dell XPS 13s sitting on the shelf waiting to be shipped back to Dell just to replace the batteries that only lasted 1-2 years! The Dell XPS screen is another work of art! It is so glossy and shiny that it produces glare no matter how you angle it! In my professional opinion, comparing any Mac laptop to any Dell laptop there is NO competition from the Mac perspective. None whatsoever.
  • Reply 106 of 110
    waltgwaltg Posts: 73member
    Worked in IS for years and before a pc was even thought of. Grew with the windows machines and that was all I knew, like the author switched to Mac about 4 years ago, windows, whatever release while has a couple of things I still like cannot compete with the Apple OS period! Apple is based on the Unix OS and it is the only way an OS should be set up imho. Installing anything on a windows machine begins with intertwining it with the OS, where it does not on Mac or Unix, they keep the OS pristine! That is one reason why the Apple OS is so good and with the world class security they provide. No I have no desire to go back to a windows machine however many widget-gidget-gadget they say they have come out with. It is however unfortunate that all software doesn’t have a Mac OS equivalent which does cause issues now and then.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 107 of 110
    jumejume Posts: 137member
    I have bought the latest MBP 13'' with touch-bar pro with 16GB RAM. It's a great laptop just wish I had bought it without touch bar.

Touch bar is useless crap. Not only I do not use it at all. It interrupts with my work because you are accidentally touching it while typing, causing all sorts of unwanted actions. 

So my advice to everyone and to Apple - forget about the touch bar. It utterly sucks. 

Oh and yes make it thinner and lighter if possible.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 108 of 110
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 2,110member
    CgWerks,

US pricing for the MateBook X Pro that KITA mentioned further up just been announced.

I am very envious of these ultra competitive pricepoints and there is up to 300 dollar sweetener for some options.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/05/21/huawei-matebook-x-pro-notebook-arrives-in-us-with-a-shocking-price-tag/

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/21/17369914/huawei-matebook-x-pro-now-available-us-starting-1200

• Reply 109 of 110
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 1,151member
    avon b7 said:
    CgWerks,

US pricing for the MateBook X Pro that KITA mentioned further up just been announced.

I am very envious of these ultra competitive pricepoints and there is up to 300 dollar sweetener for some options.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/05/21/huawei-matebook-x-pro-notebook-arrives-in-us-with-a-shocking-price-tag/

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/21/17369914/huawei-matebook-x-pro-now-available-us-starting-1200
    I'm waiting to see what Apple does here in early June. I'm probably still going to stay within the Apple eco-system for another couple of years. But, what Apple does over the next year will be very telling about the future, IMO.
  • Reply 110 of 110
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 2,110member
    cgWerks said:
    avon b7 said:
    CgWerks,

I'm waiting to see what Apple does here in early June. I'm probably still going to stay within the Apple eco-system for another couple of years. But, what Apple does over the next year will be very telling about the future, IMO.
    Yes, after posting, I realised I might have been confusing you with Lorin, (who had asked about an alternative to a MBP).