New 'professional' Mac mini, low-cost MacBook refresh coming soon says report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 197
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    my guess is more streamlined monolithic body to be better stacked, or racked, separate graphics card than the built-in Intel graphics, and that's probably it (not eliminating all the useful ports qualifies as a pro feature nowadays, do that one also)
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 197
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tht said:
    Would love to see Apple offer a NUC-sized computer (or smaller... it could theoretically be about the size of a pack of playing cards) to replace the Mini. Then again, they got rid of my favorite iPod, the Shuffle, and replaced it with... nothing.
    That would be a sweet product.  It would be a niche product of course.  But a phone-sized a MacBook Pro without a battery, keyboard, or screen, would be pretty cool.  (Ok give it a very small battery so it can survive an accidental unplugging, but still.  Just a little box with a few USB-C thunderbolt ports (and an audio port, I suppose).  
    From wishful thinking Mac mini thread:

Exactly. Imagine what a powerful product that could be for individuals and businesses. A true pocket-sized Mac computer.

"Introducing the Mac Nano!"
    entropyspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 197
    AI_lias said:
    my guess is more streamlined monolithic body to be better stacked, or racked, separate graphics card than the built-in Intel graphics, and that's probably it (not eliminating all the useful ports qualifies as a pro feature nowadays, do that one also)
    As the article mentions server farm managers, a better stackable/rackable body with better cooling might be a possibility. The current minis gets rather loud under processor load (and not even particularly high load), so for say a developer where it is used on the desktop, which is also mentioned, a machine that runs more quiet during a lengthy Xcode build would be an advantage. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 197
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    I'm not sure what to make of this. I do think that whatever Apple decides to release, particularly with respect to the Mac Mini part, will be quite revealing as to their thinking with regards to desktops. Apple doesn't make cheap things, so if this category of computer is no longer viable (because people will not pay enough for a consumer computer appliance that isn't an iMac) I can see them simply abandoning it altogether.

Tim vaguely claimed that Apple had "plans for the mac mini" some time ago, but he might have been saying "we're gonna kill it like Apple displays and airports."

dysamoria
  • Reply 25 of 197
    So glad they finished decorating the new offices and got back to real work...
    Eric_WVGGtallest skilbaconstang
  • Reply 26 of 197
    So is this going to be a Mac Mini Pro? And is there something that will actually make it “pro” or is it just a way for Apple to raise the price? Customers will be pissed if the only new Mac Mini is one that’s more expensive.
    I think Bloomberg is just confused. It doesn't need to be a "Pro" to be more expensive — the mere fact that it'll have modern components justifies a price bump. 

"app developers, those running home media centers, and server farm managers" has been most of the Mini's consumers for years, that's nothing new. 

My only hope is that somewhere in the UFO is one guy whose only job is to keep updating this new Mini whenever Intel has a new CPU architecture to hawk. He can spend the rest of his time sewing Macbook Pro leather sleeves or washing Ives’ car or whatever.
    edited August 2018 randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 197
    Eric_WVGG said:
    So is this going to be a Mac Mini Pro? And is there something that will actually make it “pro” or is it just a way for Apple to raise the price? Customers will be pissed if the only new Mac Mini is one that’s more expensive.
    I think Bloomberg is just confused. It doesn't need to be a "Pro" to be more expensive — the mere fact that it'll have modern components justifies a price bump. 

"app developers, those running home media centers, and server farm managers" has been most of the Mini's consumers for years, that's nothing new.

My only hope is that somewhere in the UFO is one guy whose only job is to keep updating this new Mini whenever Intel has a new CPU architecture to hawk. He can spend the rest of his time sewing Macbook Pro leather sleeves or whatever.
    Pro is just a marketing term to mean the more powerful end of the lineup.  I would like to see a 'Mac' with something like the 9900K and maybe an RX580 with RAM in a trashcan or equivalent.
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 28 of 197
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    tht said:
    Would love to see Apple offer a NUC-sized computer (or smaller... it could theoretically be about the size of a pack of playing cards) to replace the Mini. Then again, they got rid of my favorite iPod, the Shuffle, and replaced it with... nothing.
    That would be a sweet product.  It would be a niche product of course.  But a phone-sized a MacBook Pro without a battery, keyboard, or screen, would be pretty cool.  (Ok give it a very small battery so it can survive an accidental unplugging, but still.  Just a little box with a few USB-C thunderbolt ports (and an audio port, I suppose).  

Problem with that design is that it'll never stay where you put it after you add all the dongles to it.
    macseekerdysamoria
  • Reply 29 of 197
    1. Up-to-date appropriate CPU
    2. Space for both a SSD and a backup HD, easily user replaceable/up-gradable
    3. Expandable memory by user
    4. More than 1 USB/Thunderbolt 3 port
    5. plus 1 USB 3.0 type A on front for charging/syncing/transferring without having to reach around to the back or buy a hub
    6. Compact, but not small & thin just to be small & thin,  It's a desktop computer !

Just a user up-gradable, stylish, basic computer that runs Mac OS.  Can't a Trillion $ company sell just one model like this? 
    freethinkingdysamoria
  • Reply 30 of 197
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    MDChops said:
    5. plus 1 USB 3.0 type A on front for charging/syncing/transferring without having to reach around to the back or buy a hub
    6. Compact, but not small & thin just to be small & thin,  It's a desktop computer !

Just a user up-gradable, stylish, basic computer that runs Mac OS.  Can't a Trillion $ company sell just one model like this? 
    Hahaha you're kidding haha....
    bkkcanuckwatto_cobrarazorpitMDChopsdysamoria
  • Reply 31 of 197
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MDChops said:

1. No
    2. No
    3. Maybe
    4. Maybe
    5. Hell no.
    6. Nope.

watto_cobrarazorpitMDChops
  • Reply 32 of 197
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    claire1 said:
    Designed By Samsung

My goodness that thing is ugly! Or am I looking at it from the wrong angle?
    Well... you are looking at its butt.
    To be more specific, they are looking up its butt.
    watto_cobraavon b7
  • Reply 33 of 197
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MDChops said:

Not gonna happen. This is the low-end offering, not the Mac Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 197
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    tht said:

Exactly. Imagine what a powerful product that could be for individuals and businesses. A true pocket-sized Mac computer.

"Introducing the Mac Nano!"
    MacBook is that product. And it’s AIO. Shame the keyboard is terrible.
  • Reply 35 of 197
    Configurations will probably be with 2-4 Thunderbolt ports, 128-4TB SSD (dual chip configuration with a single controller), 8-32GB RAM and 2-6 core options in two different models. One model with DDR3 (up to 16GB) and the second with DDR4 (up to 32GB). 99% certain it won't have a dedicated GPU or desktop processors so it will not overlap with the new MacPro.

So basically, they are shoving a 13" MBP logic board in the low end model and a 15" MBP logic board in the high end model. Don't be surprised if it can the same form factor as the laptop logic board.

Price range $1000 to $3000.
    edited August 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 197
    Configurations will probably be with 2-4 Thunderbolt ports, 128-4TB SSD, 8-32GB RAM and 2-6 core options. 99% certain it won't have a dedicated GPU or desktop processors.

Price range $1000 to $3000.
    I would not be surprised if they create a 'version' (not so small) that has an RX580, which is the minimum for AR type work.

They have never really worried about that stuff (up until possibly now) because they never worried about gamers and the video production people would have no problem going with the Mac Pro (or iMac Pro).
  • Reply 37 of 197
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I would like to see them return to a quad-core option for the Mac Mini. I'm not sure I really need one, but it always makes me feel better knowing I have one. Plus I like to run VMs on it occasionally, and the more available cores and RAM the better. The fact that the MBP now comes with 4 cores makes it much more likely. A hex-core would be better, but probably not going to happen. Still, we'll wait and see.

I don't think they'll do off-board graphics. I don't think they'll see a need for it, if they're selling it for iOS developers and data centres. It will have Thunderbolt 3, so you can always add in the eGPU if you do need it.

As for cost, I expect it will start about the current low-end price, maybe for a dual-core i5 with 5400rpm HDD, then a bit more for the "regular" model with quad-core i5, 256GB SSD, and 8GB of RAM, up to really quite expensive for 4 or 6 cores of i7 (or i9?), 4TB SSD, and 32GB of RAM. Basically copying the line up for the MBP 13" (and maybe 15"), but with the dual core spinning rust option at the low end.

Ports are trickier, I suspect it will have a figure-8 for power, at least 2 USBC/TB3 ports, 2 or 3 USBA, SD Card slot, and 100GB Ethernet. (I thought maybe the Ethernet might go, but you really need it if you're going to rack them in a data centre - wireless and dongles won't cut it.)

Anyway, I know nothing, have no sources, just guessing. I'm curious to see what they do with the Mini. I know some people who are hanging out for it. The MBA/MB0 I'm less interested in, although I will be interested to see what they do. I expect it will go to TB3 ports for everything, and probably keep low end I-Series (for the MBA at least). The keyboard is the really interesting thing, though. It seems to be the main bone of contention for a number of people, and if they go all-in on 4th Generation Butterfly, I guess a lot of people will rage quit. If they don't, then a lot of people are going to point to it as an acknowledgement that the Butterfly design is fundamentally flawed. (The truth is, of course, that it isn't fundamentally flawed, but some people don't like it, and they did have an issue with dust.)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 197
    MDChops said:

So you have never used Mac? Mac can easily be backuped wirelessly, no need for secondary HDD like PC.
  • Reply 39 of 197
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    MDChops said:

1. Yes
    2. Make it super simple to upgrade. Johnny may not like it but make one side a door where you can easily upgrade the memory and swap out two SSDs. SSDs standard. No spinning drives and hence no cooling for spinning drives. Do spinning drives create significant heat?
    3. See 2
    4. I just want something where I can have an external GPU.
    5. Not on my priority list
    6. Same form factor as Late 2012 mini Mac so I can just drop it in as a replacement.
    MDChops
  • Reply 40 of 197
    AI_lias said:
    matrix077 said:
    MDChops said:

So you have never used Mac? Mac can easily be backuped wirelessly, no need for secondary HDD like PC.
    I doubt we'll see user replaceable/expandable anything other than over Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt will probably be the only port(s) since it also carries USB, DisplayPort (HDMI, DVI, VGA), Ethernet and PCIe. Moblie CPU. Basically, a rack mountable 13" MBP and 15" MBP. That simplifies the supply chain.

I suppose they could have user replaceable SSDs but they'd be way slower than Apple's configuration which get speed up to 2.5GB/s. Apple has been using dual SSD chips (no onboard controller) with the T-2 chip as the controller to handle all i/o and encryption. Users would be giving up a lot of speed in a downgrade to user replaceable drives.

User replaceable RAM could be in the works but that's just not the way Apple works unless you get the high end model. So expect to flip $2k+ plus for the base box if they offer it.

I really don't see the point of a Type-A port. USB 3.0 Type-A to Thunderbolt is a $4 cable, it's not an adapter or converter, just a plain cable.

EDIT: It should have one ethernet port on the low end and maybe two on the high-end, based on the customers they are targeting, plus Thunderbolt.