New 'professional' Mac mini, low-cost MacBook refresh coming soon says report

Comments

• Reply 81 of 197
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Gurman says: The new laptop will look similar to the current MacBook Air, but will include thinner bezels around the screen. The display, which will remain about 13-inches, will be a higher-resolution "Retina" version that Apple uses on other products, the people said.
    This new 13” Mac laptop has the confusion up to 11. So, if this new laptop has a wedge shape, black bezels, butterfly keyboard, and silvery logo, it will be a MacBook 13”, a big sister to the MB 12”. If this laptop has a wedge shape, silver bezels, old scissors keyboard, and light-up logo, it’ll be a gen 3 MacBook Air.

Either way, 2 of the 3 consumer end Mac laptop lines should be retired.

$1000 5W CPU, fanless, 12 or 13 inch high DPI display, 2 TB3 ports
    $1300 15W CPU, fan, 13” display, 2 TB3 ports
    $1800 25W CPU, 2 fans, 13” display, 4 TB3 ports
    $2300 45W CPU, dGPU, 2 fans, 15” display, 4 TB3 ports

Do wish the MBP models have 14” and 16” displays to better differentiate, and it’ll justify the price point better.

Gurman says: It’s a Mac desktop that doesn’t include a screen, keyboard, or mouse in the box and costs $500. The computer has been favored because of its lower price, and it’s popular with app developers, those running home media centers, and server farm managers. For this year’s model, Apple is focusing primarily on these pro users, and new storage and processor options are likely to make it more expensive than previous versions, the people said.
    Gurman lists 2 use cases that are kind of at odds with each other. The only thing the two use cases don’t need is a discrete GPU, so I think that is out. Another big decision is HDD or not. I think that is a no with “the people” saying it will be more expensive, ie, it’ll be SSD only. Then, which CPUs and how many Watts is always a big question. The box will have to look good next to a TV, next to a computer monitor and inside a server farm.

The 7.7 x 3.5 x 0.4 inch slab I drew up I thought for sure could do 15 W. If more noise allowed, I can see 25W, maybe 50W. So, maybe a consumer Core U-series SKU and a server Xeon-D SKU? Who knows.

There was also room for a 1 SO-DIMM and 1 M.2 22 x 60 mm SSD in that iPhone-like slab I drew up. So, if they were offering internal expandability like that, it would address 95% of potential buyers imo. Upgradeable CPU would seem too big a leap for Apple these days.
  • Reply 82 of 197
    KITAKITA Posts: 393member
    anome said:
    KITA said:
    anome said:
    KITA said:
    Configurations will probably be with 2-4 Thunderbolt ports, 128-4TB SSD (dual chip configuration with a single controller), 8-32GB RAM and 2-6 core options in two different models. One model with DDR3 (up to 16GB) and the second with DDR4 (up to 32GB). 99% certain it won't have a dedicated GPU or desktop processors so it will not overlap with the new MacPro.

So basically, they are shoving a 13" MBP logic board in the low end model and a 15" MBP logic board in the high end model. Don't be surprised if it can the same form factor as the laptop logic board.

Price range $1000 to $3000.
    This is HP's Z2 mini G4. This is the professional compact workstation of 2018 that Apple would be competing against.

Top tier model

Windows / Linux
    Intel Xeon E-2176G (6 core / 80 W TDP / user replaceable)
    32 GB ECC-2666 (user replaceable)
    NVIDIA Quadro P1000 4 GB GDDR5 (MXM slot / user replaceable)
    1 TB  PCIe NVMe SSD (user replaceable)
    1 TB SATA HDD (user replaceable)
    802.11ac + BT 5.0 (user replaceable)
    TPM 2.0 (EAL4+ certified)
    Vesa mount
    Security lock
    3 year global warranty (up to 5 years on-site)
    Workstation ISV certifications

Ports

4x USB-A
    2x USB-C
    1x Flexible IO module (Thunderbolt 3, HDMI, VGA, etc.)
    3x DisplayPort
    1x Ethernet
    1x Serial Port (optional)

I would seriously hope a "professional" mac mini doesn't have MacBook Pro hardware with an iGPU.
    And how much does it cost? Looking at some local sites, rather a lot more than a Mac Mini does. And that was for the model with no USB-C and only 16GB of RAM.
    No pricing just yet. The ones you see now are the last generation (G3).

Fully loaded, with the 5 year on-site warranty, I can see the G4 being around $2500~$3000.
    So it's not really competing with the Mac Mini, except maybe at the extreme high end. I doubt they'll put a Xeon in the Mac Mini, but on the other hand, they'll probably sell it at a third the price you're talking about for the Z2.
    Well, that's just the top tier model with a 5 year on-site warranty.

If we look at the pricing of the previous generation (G3), $1570 (currently $1300) would get the following specs:

Intel Xeon E3-1245 v5 (4 core)
    16 GB DDR4-2400 ECC
    NVIDIA Quadro M620 2 GB GDDR5
    512 GB PCIe NVMe SSD
    3 year on-site warranty
  • Reply 83 of 197
    bkkcanuck said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    So is this going to be a Mac Mini Pro? And is there something that will actually make it “pro” or is it just a way for Apple to raise the price? Customers will be pissed if the only new Mac Mini is one that’s more expensive.
    I think Bloomberg is just confused. It doesn't need to be a "Pro" to be more expensive — the mere fact that it'll have modern components justifies a price bump. 

"app developers, those running home media centers, and server farm managers" has been most of the Mini's consumers for years, that's nothing new.

My only hope is that somewhere in the UFO is one guy whose only job is to keep updating this new Mini whenever Intel has a new CPU architecture to hawk. He can spend the rest of his time sewing Macbook Pro leather sleeves or whatever.
    Pro is just a marketing term to mean the more powerful end of the lineup.  I would like to see a 'Mac' with something like the 9900K and maybe an RX580 with RAM in a trashcan or equivalent.
    When you actually see the new mini, just remember Apple never said it was going to be a Mac Mini Pro. That’s just something users made up, based on a rumor that had no real meat. 

Don't be surprised to see an 8GB/SSD/28W CPU mini that’s starts at $799, instead of a 4GB/HDD/15W CPU mini that starts at $499. RAM will be DDR4, socketed and upgradable to 32GB. 

There will be plenty of ports: two USB-C Thunderbolt 3/USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports, four USB 3.0 ports, Ethernet, a headphone jack and possibly an SDXC slot. Maybe USB-PD external power.

The overall platform will have the 28W quads from the 2018 MBP, likely with a dual-core for the entry level model. I don’t think there will be a 45W CPU/dGPU mini; I just don’t think there’s enough volume to support a second platform (based on the 15” MBP). 
    edited August 2018 baconstang
  • Reply 84 of 197
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    KITA said:
    anome said:
    KITA said:
    anome said:
    KITA said:
    Configurations will probably be with 2-4 Thunderbolt ports, 128-4TB SSD (dual chip configuration with a single controller), 8-32GB RAM and 2-6 core options in two different models. One model with DDR3 (up to 16GB) and the second with DDR4 (up to 32GB). 99% certain it won't have a dedicated GPU or desktop processors so it will not overlap with the new MacPro.

So basically, they are shoving a 13" MBP logic board in the low end model and a 15" MBP logic board in the high end model. Don't be surprised if it can the same form factor as the laptop logic board.

Price range $1000 to $3000.
    This is HP's Z2 mini G4. This is the professional compact workstation of 2018 that Apple would be competing against.

Top tier model

Windows / Linux
    Intel Xeon E-2176G (6 core / 80 W TDP / user replaceable)
    32 GB ECC-2666 (user replaceable)
    NVIDIA Quadro P1000 4 GB GDDR5 (MXM slot / user replaceable)
    1 TB  PCIe NVMe SSD (user replaceable)
    1 TB SATA HDD (user replaceable)
    802.11ac + BT 5.0 (user replaceable)
    TPM 2.0 (EAL4+ certified)
    Vesa mount
    Security lock
    3 year global warranty (up to 5 years on-site)
    Workstation ISV certifications

Ports

4x USB-A
    2x USB-C
    1x Flexible IO module (Thunderbolt 3, HDMI, VGA, etc.)
    3x DisplayPort
    1x Ethernet
    1x Serial Port (optional)

I would seriously hope a "professional" mac mini doesn't have MacBook Pro hardware with an iGPU.
    And how much does it cost? Looking at some local sites, rather a lot more than a Mac Mini does. And that was for the model with no USB-C and only 16GB of RAM.
    No pricing just yet. The ones you see now are the last generation (G3).

Fully loaded, with the 5 year on-site warranty, I can see the G4 being around $2500~$3000.
    So it's not really competing with the Mac Mini, except maybe at the extreme high end. I doubt they'll put a Xeon in the Mac Mini, but on the other hand, they'll probably sell it at a third the price you're talking about for the Z2.
    Well, that's just the top tier model with a 5 year on-site warranty.

If we look at the pricing of the previous generation (G3), $1570 (currently $1300) would get the following specs:

Intel Xeon E3-1245 v5 (4 core)
    16 GB DDR4-2400 ECC
    NVIDIA Quadro M620 2 GB GDDR5
    512 GB PCIe NVMe SSD
    3 year on-site warranty
    So half the price, then.
  • Reply 85 of 197
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    The timing is rather foolish and naughty of Apple seeing that the biggest buyer of the MacBook Air are students or people like me who are parents of students.  I myself just bought 2 MacBook Airs for my kids in late July.  It's the only sensible choice in terms of price and features.  The screen is bad, but everything else is great.  The SD card slot and USB-A are still must-have features.  And indeed, if Apple comes out with a new Air that lacks those features it would be crazy because nothing would really differentiate the Air from the MacBook and MBP.  The good keyboard, glowing Apple logo, USB-A, MagSafe, SD card slot all need to stay in a refresh.  But knowing silly Apple, they will throw all those good features to the fire and hobble the Air like they've done with the MacBook and 2016 and newer MBP.  That's why I'm not too upset about Apple's still timing for an Air refresh. (Apple should have released a new machine BEFORE SCHOOL STARTED, not late in the year.)  Apple will likely come out with a hobbled Air that makes my purchase of the current Air all the more prudent.  A Retina screen and faster GPU and CPU don't make up for the loss of a good keyboard, MagSafe, USB-A, and the SD card slot.  USB-C is fine, but keep at least one USB-A port to eliminate a dongle.  I should be in charge of Apple design.
    edited August 2018 baconstang
  • Reply 86 of 197
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Not sure what you mean. You can already AirPlay to any HDTV in your home. Assuming they release a 4K display, not sure why you couldn't just do that with an ATV as well.
    I mean to say that it’d be neat if their standalone computer display was part of a mesh Wi-Fi network and could even act as a “dumb terminal” (with mouse and keyboard connected to it), to which you could AirPlay (and from which you could control) any computer’s output that is also on the same network.
  • Reply 87 of 197
    dewme said:
    I'm struggling to figure out where a "pro" Mac Mini fits into Apple's product. If it's truly a pro class machine it would have to fit somewhere between the iMac 5K and the iMac Pro and possibly lower spec'd versions of the next generation Mac Pro. I guess this niche would provide an unattached CPU for Apple's next generation monitor, i.e.. TB monitor replacement. This all makes the Mac product line seem overly crowded and somewhat confusing. 
    Why confusing? They're doing a new display to sell alongside their Mac Pro (and possibly MBPs, eGPUs, etc before that if they come sooner), so why not push out a new mini that might occasionally trigger a display sale as well? If the mini is indeed coming this year, I have a hard time seeing them launch it without a monitor to go with it. They still show the discontinued TB Display on the Mac mini web page.

They already sell displays with the computer, it's called an iMac or MBP. The problem with a headless Mac is always the same, they often lose the monitor sale. That lowers the average selling price and profits. No way to make up for that loss without raising the price of the MacMini and it's upgrades, which makes them harder to sell. Making them upgradable only compounds the problem since people will buy the bare or lowest spec machine and spend those savings elsewhere. The trick is to get people to spend the same amount of money, so expect this thing to be high end? They could make it upgradable but you will pay for the privilege. 
  • Reply 88 of 197
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    eightzero said:
    I'm not sure what to make of this. I do think that whatever Apple decides to release, particularly with respect to the Mac Mini part, will be quite revealing as to their thinking with regards to desktops. Apple doesn't make cheap things, so if this category of computer is no longer viable (because people will not pay enough for a consumer computer appliance that isn't an iMac) I can see them simply abandoning it altogether.

Tim vaguely claimed that Apple had "plans for the mac mini" some time ago, but he might have been saying "we're gonna kill it like Apple displays and airports."

I seriously do not understand why there's any doubt. Cook clearly said they do have plans for the mini in the future:

Cook clearly said 10 months ago. Cook has also said many of the things they work on never come to market. I can see Tim simply saying "we changed our minds." 10 months is an eternity in computer design cycles.

tallest skil
  • Reply 89 of 197
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    So is this going to be a Mac Mini Pro? And is there something that will actually make it “pro” or is it just a way for Apple to raise the price? Customers will be pissed if the only new Mac Mini is one that’s more expensive.
    Think of an iMac 27" internals housed in a Mac mini box.  I'm all for this. I like the idea of desktop computers being head-less that way you can upgrade the screen & CPU separately when you want.
    This sort of arrangement is what I'd consider to replace an iMac. Alternatives are good.
  • Reply 90 of 197
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    It has been very nearly four years since the Mac mini was updated

That's only true if you count slowing processor intensive tasks by half, an 'update'. Going form 4 core i7 to dual core i5 was a significant downgrade as evidenced by the high s/h price of core i7's.
    You left off the second half of the sentence.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 91 of 197
    bkkcanuck said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I think Bloomberg is just confused. It doesn't need to be a "Pro" to be more expensive — the mere fact that it'll have modern components justifies a price bump. 

"app developers, those running home media centers, and server farm managers" has been most of the Mini's consumers for years, that's nothing new.

My only hope is that somewhere in the UFO is one guy whose only job is to keep updating this new Mini whenever Intel has a new CPU architecture to hawk. He can spend the rest of his time sewing Macbook Pro leather sleeves or whatever.
    Pro is just a marketing term to mean the more powerful end of the lineup.  I would like to see a 'Mac' with something like the 9900K and maybe an RX580 with RAM in a trashcan or equivalent.
    When you actually see the new mini, just remember Apple never said it was going to be a Mac Mini Pro. That’s just something users made up, based on a rumor that had no real meat. 

Don't be surprised to see an 8GB/SSD/28W CPU mini that’s starts at $799, instead of a 4GB/HDD/15W CPU mini that starts at $499. RAM will be DDR4, socketed and upgradable to 32GB. 

There will be plenty of ports: two USB-C Thunderbolt 3/USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports, four USB 3.0 ports, Ethernet, a headphone jack and possibly an SDXC slot. Maybe USB-PD external power.

The overall platform will have the 28W quads from the 2018 MBP, likely with a dual-core for the entry level model. I don’t think there will be a 45W CPU/dGPU mini; I just don’t think there’s enough volume to support a second platform (based on the 15” MBP). 
    Thunderbolt 3 has PD power as a part of the spec. I'm also betting it has no USB 3 ports, no SD card slot, no headphone jack, no display port and no HDMI. It will not be geared towards consumers, in fact, they will discourage it in every way. This will be a box for developers, server farms and pros who are willing to pay for the privilege of having an upgradable machine, if that's what it turns out to be.
  • Reply 92 of 197
    majorsl said:

Here we go again. First you complain about it being too old, too low-spec’d...now with new hardware you’ll complain that it’s too expensive. Classic.
    So releasing a new model with updated specs means they need to increase the price?
    $20 says it'll have more modern ports on the back with expandable RAM and accessible drive bays... just like the 2012 model, but it'll be "Pro" because it'll be expandable just like the old model. Innovative at a Pro price.
    Just what I was hoping for to replace my 2012 Mac Mini but what I expect is:
    1. something the size of a deck of cards, but thinner.
    2. made out a new alloy of "unobtanium" with a revolutionary new shade of anodizing so that it can not possibly be confused with the prior models
    3. the insides will be glued like a bug in amber for 10 yr. reliability but making it totally non-upgradeable and unrepairable (except by Apple, of course) in case it does break
    4. 1 USB-C port only, in the rear, discreetly unlabeled.
    5. Price $1999 for the bare bones Pro model, because we can, and to protect our margins.  Useful RAM or storage prices are "pricey" as expected.  Cough up now as you won't be able to upgrade or expand later.

baconstang
  • Reply 93 of 197
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Hanging for the new Mac Mini. I don't need a monitor I have two perfectly good ones. A new mac mini update cannot come quick enough. hopefully with a built in mic for once.
  • Reply 94 of 197
    Not sure what you mean. You can already AirPlay to any HDTV in your home. Assuming they release a 4K display, not sure why you couldn't just do that with an ATV as well.
    I mean to say that it’d be neat if their standalone computer display was part of a mesh Wi-Fi network and could even act as a “dumb terminal” (with mouse and keyboard connected to it), to which you could AirPlay (and from which you could control) any computer’s output that is also on the same network.
    Wow, an interesting idea.  Yeah, then people would need just one Mac to hook into through their mesh WiFi network.  In a way, I can see it happening.
  • Reply 95 of 197
    bkkcanuck said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

Thunderbolt 3 has PD power as a part of the spec. I'm also betting it has no USB 3 ports, no SD card slot, no headphone jack, no display port and no HDMI. It will not be geared towards consumers, in fact, they will discourage it in every way. This will be a box for developers, server farms and pros who are willing to pay for the privilege of having an upgradable machine, if that's what it turns out to be.
    Yes, possibly power delivery via the USB-C connector (which will be a TB3 port like MBP, not just a USB 3.1 port like the rMB). If so then no internal power supply. No reason to delete all the older ports; they’re still on iMac. There’s no space restrictions like laptops. Not sure where you’re getting the idea the new mini will be upgradable, though I do expect socketed RAM. 

There’s also no reason to discourage consumer use, in fact the rumor mentions their intended application as a home media center. If you read the source, it’s clear that it’s storage options and CPUs that are making them more expensive. So no HDD or Fusion drives, and no dual core CPUs (except for the least expensive entry level SKU, most likely). 

That’s my interpretation, anyway. 
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 96 of 197
    bkkcanuck said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

Yes, power delivery via the USB-C connector. So no internal power supply. No reason to delete all the older ports; they’re still on iMac. There’s no space restrictions like laptops. Not sure where you’re getting the idea the new mini will be upgradable, though I do expect socketed RAM. 

There’s also no reason to discourage consumer use, in fact the rumor mentions their intended application as a home media center. If you read the source, it’s clear that it’s storage options and CPUs that are making them more expensive. So no HDD or Fusion drives, and no dual core CPUs (except for the least expensive entry level SKU, most likely). 

Thats my interpretation, anyway. 
    If they do a 'pro' Mac Mini -- then I doubt they will use USB-C power delivery.  Remember that the 87 watts TDP Mac Pro power supply (as mentioned by Mike) (which could  be that i9 laptop processor) can draw more than the power supply provides and get supplemented by the battery during peak usage (the i9 laptop for gamers can have upward of 150-watt power supplies).  Also, the 87-watt power supplies currently used by Apple can easily be dislodged from the wall plug, which is ok for a laptop.  So restricting the non-battery Mac Mini to 100 watts would limit the processing power needlessly.

The older Mac Minis though had a larger brick (just to make the Mac Mini seem smaller than they could be), but that larger brick is a horrible design... the Mac Mini is better served with an integrated power supply.
  • Reply 97 of 197
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Here we go again. First you complain about it being too old, too low-spec’d...now with new hardware you’ll complain that it’s too expensive. Classic.
    How about new hardware for the same price? It’s what Apple does with its phones every year...
    edited August 2018 tallest skil
  • Reply 98 of 197
    hentaiboy said:

How about new hardware for the same price? It what Apple does with its phones every year...
    The price of the "current gen" flagship phone for Apple generation 1 was $499 for a 4GB phone... Apple does not sell that option anymore.
  • Reply 99 of 197
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    I am skeptical of the report on the MacBook (Air?) unless the MacBook gets a MAJOR upgrade. As for the Mac mini, I can buy that — the claimed target market are the people who have been buying it. The mini isnt popular with “switchers” IME because when they finally jump they jump completely.
  • Reply 100 of 197
    chasm said:
    I am skeptical of the report on the MacBook (Air?) unless the MacBook gets a MAJOR upgrade. As for the Mac mini, I can buy that — the claimed target market are the people who have been buying it. The mini isnt popular with “switchers” IME because when they finally jump they jump completely.
    The MacBook 12 will be just processor upgrades for the most part (IMHO) and will be in a holding pattern until 2020ish as it will likely be rethought as an ARM laptop... though there is a little work still to do to make the use of such a laptop almost seamless to the end-user.