Apple Card opened up to more users ahead of official launch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 8
Apple has increased the number of people who can sign up for Apple Card ahead of its official launch, with more iPhone users now able to apply for the credit card from their devices.




On Monday Apple started sending out invitations to a preview program for Apple Card, allowing a select number of customers to sign up and use the credit card before a public launch in the United States later this month. At the time, it was advised interested parties could sign up for notifications for when the card would be available for application in the future.

According to tips from AppleInsider readers, it appears that the application process is not limited to just those included in the preview program. Eight readers said that they were able to apply for the Apple Card from their devices on Wednesday and Thursday morning, without getting the invitation in advance.

Sources inside Apple not authorized to speak on behalf of the company confirmed the expansion to AppleInsider, and added that a full release is yet to come.

In both instances, the readers followed Apple's guide to signing up involving accessing the Wallet app, pressing the Plus button to add a card, and saw the option for Apple Card. After verifying their identity and providing other details relating to the application process, they were then approved, with one claiming it took "about 10 seconds" to go through.

The readers were also asked if they wanted a physical card, then after verifying their address, were informed they would receive their card in three to five days time. Apple Card, produced in partnership with Goldman Sachs, is a digital-first card, with the physical card allowing the service to be used with retailers that do not yet support contactless Apple Pay payments.

The card is open to US citizens or lawful residents aged 18 or over, are using an iPhone compatible with Apple Pay, are using the latest version of iOS, and can pass the card's background checks.

Along with the promise of a competitive interest rate, a considerable reduction of fees compared with other credit cards, and Daily Cash rewards for spending, Apple Card aims to offer a better customer experience, including showing spending habits within the Wallet app and highlighting how much and when a customer should pay what they owe.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 76
    HayitoHayito Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    got approved for 50K and 12.99 APR, Physical card on its way...
    StrangeDaysjahbladeapplesnorangesllamalostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 76
    CGCG Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    Mine went through and I did not receive an email! I have no idea why I was so excited to get a credit card. It was slightly different than the instructional video.  After pressing the + button, it went to the regular screen that shows different credit cards and a continue button.  After clicking the continue button it showed the Apple Card as an option.  Not exactly a confusing step but I had been expecting the first screen after clicking the + to be as shown in the video, so it might have been available before this morning.
    holtonlostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 76
    holtonholton Posts: 6member
    I got mine this morning. However the interest rate was the worst they offer. It's strange because I have excellent credit. I'm texting them now to find out the reason why. Curious how well they do with texts.
    applesnoranges
  • Reply 4 of 76
    robjnrobjn Posts: 220member
    Hayito said:
    got approved for 50K and 12.99 APR, Physical card on its way...
    Wow!
    With a squeaky clean credit rating of 780 and income over 100K, I got the top interest rate of 23.99% and 8K limit.

    When I set it up, the pre-entered address was outdated and I had to correct it, I’m also a Permanent Resident as opposed to a Citizen, after clicking “no” to “are you a US citizen?” I then had to photograph both sides of my driving license.

    They are giving people with almost perfect credit the highest possible interest rate - they obviously don’t have this approval process working quite right!

    Also, I’ve updated Apple Watch to the latest version and the option to add Apple Card from iPhone to Apple Watch appears in the Watch app settings. However, it’s not working! I’m unable to successfully add it to Apple Watch right now.
    edited August 8 holton
  • Reply 5 of 76
    I got the invite letter yesterday and signed up. It took 2 tries, because I had a lock on my credit. I took that off and it took about a minute to sign up the second time. $10,000 with 12.99 APR. The physical card will get here in 5 days.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 6 of 76
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 195member
    CG said:
    Mine went through and I did not receive an email! I have no idea why I was so excited to get a credit card. It was slightly different than the instructional video.  After pressing the + button, it went to the regular screen that shows different credit cards and a continue button.  After clicking the continue button it showed the Apple Card as an option.  Not exactly a confusing step but I had been expecting the first screen after clicking the + to be as shown in the video, so it might have been available before this morning.
    It is like getting a new device LOL.
    CGGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 76
    FolioFolio Posts: 591member
    Perfect credit score is 850. I once reviewed one of mine from Experian and found some surprises and errors. So that may be another avenue to explore if you wish a lower rate. I made some extra payments on mortgage and that really boosted score.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 76
    rob53rob53 Posts: 2,074member
    There's a lot of settings to go through after setting up and installing the card in the wallet. Everything is located under the card in the wallet. I'm adding my bank account (hopefully) so it makes paying off the card easier. There's also Express Transit (I presume this is for using it for buses and trains) and the Card Information is an extra step away, requiring TouchID/FaceID to unlock it. My credit limit is $10K with 12.99% APR but that's fine because I'm retired and don't remember actually paying interest on a card for 20 years. 

    edit: Also got an email from Apple saying there were changes to my billing information even though all my information was up to date. All they added was the Apple Card Balance and the Apple Cash Balance. When I added a bank account it gave me the option to use the same one I had for Apple Cash. Everything went nice and easy.


    edited August 8 lostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 76
    robjnrobjn Posts: 220member
    rob53 said:

    edit: Also got an email from Apple saying there were changes to my billing information even though all my information was up to date.
    This is probably because you made the new card the default for you Apple purchases (in order to get the 3% cash back).

    The card associated with your Apple ID was changed to the new one.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 10 of 76
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 4,946member
    robjn said:
    Hayito said:
    got approved for 50K and 12.99 APR, Physical card on its way...
    Wow!
    With a squeaky clean credit rating of 780 and income over 100K, I got the top interest rate of 23.99% and 8K limit.

    When I set it up, the pre-entered address was outdated and I had to correct it, I’m also a Permanent Resident as opposed to a Citizen, after clicking “no” to “are you a US citizen?” I then had to photograph both sides of my driving license.

    They are giving people with almost perfect credit the highest possible interest rate - they obviously don’t have this approval process working quite right!

    Also, I’ve updated Apple Watch to the latest version and the option to add Apple Card from iPhone to Apple Watch appears in the Watch app settings. However, it’s not working! I’m unable to successfully add it to Apple Watch right now.
    780 is very good, but not "squeaky clean".   That's reserved for 800 & over.
    I don't think that income has any effect on the rate.   My suspicion is that they use more for targeted marketing than for credit worthiness decisions.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    I just got mine...17.9% is a little high, but I never plan to keep a balance, so no big deal.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 76
    HayitoHayito Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    applejedi said:
    I just got mine...17.9% is a little high, but I never plan to keep a balance, so no big deal.
    what line? 
  • Reply 13 of 76
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 316member
    kaitain4 said:
    I got the invite letter yesterday and signed up. It took 2 tries, because I had a lock on my credit. I took that off and it took about a minute to sign up the second time. $10,000 with 12.99 APR. The physical card will get here in 5 days.
    What's your credit score?
  • Reply 14 of 76
    BebeBebe Posts: 121member
    High credit card interest rate is irrelevant if you are diligent of not leaving balances.
    chemengin1beowulfschmidtMplsPGeorgeBMackaitain4llamalostkiwi
  • Reply 15 of 76
    Are people able to get the card on iOS 13? Most of what I've seen they're on 12.4. 
    edited August 8 tobylwillis
  • Reply 16 of 76
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 2,430member
    Damn. That was cool. Not 10s, more like 2 minutes, but...nice.

    Yes, you do get the option to order the physical card. Verified. 
    edited August 8 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 17 of 76
    Got one.  2 mins.  Big line, ok interest rate.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    Phobos7Phobos7 Posts: 19member
    Great surprise upon opening my wallet app,, no email though.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 4,756administrator
    Are people able to get the card on iOS 13? Most of what I've seen they're on 12.4. 
    12.4 only. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 20 of 76
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 1,547member
    Bebe said:
    High credit card interest rate is irrelevant if you are diligent of not leaving balances.
    Yes. If you’re using a credit card properly, the interest rate is irrelevant.

    For the people who have theirs, I’m curious - Is getting a physical card optional? Also, a previous thread stated that the card wasn’t compatible with Quicken and other financial software. Can anyone confirm or refute that?
Sign In or Register to comment.