Nomura predicts poor 2019 iPhone sales, warns over 2020 5G optimism

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2019
Apple's 2019 iPhone refresh will be disappointing, according to Nomura Instinet, with financial analysts cutting their estimates to below the Wall Street consensus with the added belief other takes on the 5G-equipped 2020 models are too optimistic.

An early render of the triple camera setup of the 2019 iPhones, via OnLeaks and CashKaro
An early render of the triple camera setup of the 2019 iPhones, via OnLeaks and CashKaro

The upcoming launch of the 2019 iPhones will not improve demand for the product line, an investor note from Nomura states, due to a lack of major updates. "We see risk to December-quarter estimates," the firm warns.

It is currently believed the 2019 iPhones will largely consist of specification-bumped updates to the 2018 iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR, but with one extra camera on the back. The triple-camera setup on the OLED-based models will offer an ultra-wide lens, on top of existing wide and telephoto cameras.

As part of the lack of belief in Apple's sales, Barrons reports Nomura lowered the earnings per share prediction for the quarter from $4.59 to $4.30, putting it below a Wall Street consensus of $4.77. The company maintains its $185 target for Apple's stock price.

As for how much Apple will sell, Benzinga reveals Nomura anticipates average selling prices of $745, below Wall Street's anticipated $749 average. Unit shipments are on a par with Wall Street, with both saying 186 million iPhones will ship.

Based on reports from suppliers, it appears that Apple anticipates the sales of the 2019 models will be at roughly the same levels as 2018's collection, ordering a similar number of units from its assembly partners and component providers as previously.

Nomura's dim view of Apple's fortunes extend into 2020, in part due to the high optimism of other analysts that 5G connectivity will invigorate sales. "We believe many investors are looking ahead to the 2020 5G iPhone launches," Nomura believes, before cautioning "iPhone estimates may be optimistic and that the shape of the 5G cycle remains uncertain."

All of the 2020 models are tipped to have 5G connectivity, driven by a deal struck with Qualcomm to supply iPhone modems to Apple. The speculation of supporting the communications standard in the model and the potential for consumers to wait for that model to upgrade has led to some analysts to raise their stock targets, including in one case up to $250.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,695member
    There are headwinds for Apple with regards to the competition. It is playing catch-up. Whether they catch up this year or not is a mystery. Part of its sales will hinge on that. Another part will hinge on price and another part of geopolitical issues.

The last four years haven't really moved the needle on shipments. That in itself is telling.
    chemengin1flyingdpbluefire1AppleExposedkestralbigtds
  • Reply 3 of 34
    mercel said:
    If I had a nickel for all the times Nomura analysts have been wrong about Apple, I could buy 100 shares of AAPL.  

I'm more inclined to think Nomura's is simply attempting to game the stock.  900M - 1B iPhone users only have to upgrade once every 5 years to generate 180M - 200M iPhone sales.

Nothing to see here, as usual.
    NOMURA who?
    dedgecko
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Have said all year Apple $230 by Christmas and am still buying. 
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    avon b7 said:
    There are headwinds for Apple with regards to the competition. It is playing catch-up. Whether they catch up this year or not is a mystery. Part of its sales will hinge on that. Another part will hinge on price and another part of geopolitical issues.

The last four years haven't really moved the needle on shipments. That in itself is telling.
    Catch up, precisely how?
    AppleExposeddedgeckomacguileavingthebigglkrupp
  • Reply 6 of 34
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    avon b7 said:

Catch up, precisely how?

Let's go further....telling, how? 

As much as I think this analysis may be off, I do think the 2019 iPhone is going to be underwhelming.  I have an XS Max, and I just doubt I'm going to turn it in to upgrade.  I think I'd rather pay it off over another year.  
    bluefire1dedgecko
  • Reply 7 of 34
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    sdw2001 said:

As much as I think this analysis may be off, I do think the 2019 iPhone is going to be underwhelming.  I have an XS Max, and I just doubt I'm going to turn it in to upgrade.  I think I'd rather pay it off over another year.  
    It’s not considered an underwhelming update if people who purchased one the year before fail to update. VERY few people are on a 1 year upgrade cycle. If a good portion of the gazilions who have an 8 and those still clinging to a 6s or 7 upgrade, iPhone sales will be fine. 
  • Reply 8 of 34
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    sdw2001 said:
    avon b7 said:

Catch up, precisely how?

Let's go further....telling, how? 

Sadly, I agree with you. If the big “innovation” is nothing more than a Camera upgrade, I’d be very disappointed.
    kestral
  • Reply 9 of 34
    ZedolaZedola Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    5g may invigorate sales (due to all the marketing hype on 5g)... at least until people realize just how few places there are to actually use it. Sure coverage expand, but that is going to take billions and years. https://www.cellularmaps.com/5g-coverage.shtml
  • Reply 10 of 34
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    bageljoey said:
    sdw2001 said:

It’s not considered an underwhelming update if people who purchased one the year before fail to update. VERY few people are on a 1 year upgrade cycle. If a good portion of the gazilions who have an 8 and those still clinging to a 6s or 7 upgrade, iPhone sales will be fine. 
    I think you are wrong about that. With the Apple upgrade program and the carrier upgrade programs more and more people get a new phone every year.  I’m also not saying sales won’t be “fine.” I’m sure they will be.  I’m saying that I think it’s going to be underwhelming for me.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Next year it can be. I maybe wait to 5G become mature and for better price..... So who has the crystal call?
  • Reply 12 of 34
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    bageljoey said:
    sdw2001 said:

Agree few are on 1 year cycles. And Apple has been at this several cycles now, with a huge install base. The value for each upgrade is clearly there, and a consumer has more choices in the iPhone lineup than ever before. 

Your conclusion is spot on. I personally will not be upgrading now, but...a huge number will...and sales will be fine.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 13 of 34
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:

Coming from the guy who thinks knockoffs are "innovative" and Apples innovations are "catching up", LOL

Of course Apples shipments are down. They don't ship junk! iKnockoff users replace their junk every 6 months to 2 years on average, Heck I know someone who buys a new knockoff iPhone every 2 months!! (Android sales are skyrocketing!) A little common sense and listening to Apples RECORD-BREAKING quarter(while half asleep) is enough to tell you WHY those shipments are down. (Hint: Apples user bases are at all time highs.)

Let's see when android "catches up" to privacy and security. For now they're all on one great ship built by Apple and supporting each other. It's funny how ONE company can destroy an entire army of iWannabes single-handedly to the point everyone predicts Apples "doom" out of pure envy.

Been hearing this iPhone doom since 2007. The next iPhone is always "gonna have a hard time", when analysts are incorrect the narrative changes to "just wait until next year!"

"Apple is doomed because peak iPhone!!"
    *Apple Watch releases*
    "No one wants this!"
    *Apple Watch becomes #1 watch in history*
    *Apples doom delayed*

"Apples doomed because peak iPhone and peak Watch!!"
    *Airpods release*
    "No one wants this!"
    *Airpods create a category*
    *Apples doom delayed*

"Apple is doomed because 5G!!"

With AppleCard, TV+, Arcade and more to come we're gonna have to delay Apples "doom" just a bit longer.....
    cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 34
    avon b7 said:

Catch up, precisely how?
    The battery department for one. Tri camera (should be a given). Better optical zoom (x5?). More powerful wireless charging. 3D live, small object modeling. Rear ToF. Low light photography improvements. Dual frequency GPS. 5G. Shell finish (there are rumours of a frosted finish). On SoC modem. Faster wi-fi. IR blaster ;-)

A lot of these features are the features that sell the phones.

I'd say the battery charging experience (out of the box) is the easiest problem to fix and the one that frustrates most users. Capacities are creeping up and rumours point to an improvement in that area. Camera versatility is probably the biggest tentpole feature that is currently missing (and desired by users).

True dual SIM finally arrived but only on Chinese models. A step in the right direction IMO. Tracking in difficult situations (many tunnels, high speed rail networks) is a weak spot. 

edited August 2019 muthuk_vanalingambigtds
  • Reply 15 of 34
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    avon b7 said:

Perhaps it has much more to do with people keeping phones for much longer.  The days of rushing out every other year to replace phones are over for many people.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I really think Apple is coming up against the hard reality that the go-go days of the iPhone are pretty much over. People may need to update their phone, but are not clamoring for the GPU power of a PlayStation or 3 lens cameras. There are always exceptions, but I doubt the masses want any of that crap- especially with a ridiculous sticker price.

The 5G thing seems more hype than anything for mobile users. The current 4G LTE service is quite good even out in the sticks after a couple of years of fine tuning.

When anywhere but the car or out walking/hiking I hardly use the phone. The iPad Pro goes along (like now at lunch) and my desktop Mac and 32” UHD display is the go-to at home. There is no need for a more powerful iPhone.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 34
    My sister broke her iPhone last week.  She got a new one.  Those kinds of sales are going to continue regardless...

For the people happy with their phone, they’re going to wait for 5G.  I would expect a hit to holiday sales though...

By the way, I’m now convinced we’re going to see a fire sale on 15” MacBook Pro’s after the 16” starts selling.  I think the move to 16” isn’t as much about technology but about what’s happening with airlines banning 15” MacBook Pros.

I also think both business and individuals that travel are going upgrade to 16”.  There’s probably going to be a flood of “preowned” machines becoming available and attractive prices.
    seanj
  • Reply 18 of 34
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Of course the iPhones the will announce in two weeks will be disappointing. They always are disappointing. After every Apple announcement, release, or keynote there are howls anguish from the disappointed posters on the web. There is always massive gnashing of teeth from analysts saying Apple blew it Sell, Sell as fast as you can. Look elsewhere for good ideas. Apple is yesterday’s news.

But their products still sell as fast as Apple can make them. And in the end the people putting down their own real money are the only ones who count.
    edited August 2019 macguileavingthebigg
  • Reply 19 of 34
    M68000 said:
    avon b7 said:

Perhaps it has much more to do with people keeping phones for much longer.  The days of rushing out every other year to replace phones are over for many people.
    That is definitely another factor. If trade in price hadn't improved last year, my wife would still be on an iPhone 6 and eyeing this year's phones.

Apple has absolute knowledge of exactly how many users are holding onto what and for how long but never makes any reference to a potential wave of upgrades. For example, it knows how many active iPhone 6 units are still in active use. If the famous supercycle actually happened or not, it is known by the company. It could be that there was a massive upgrade to the 2017 phones but not enough to stand out in an otherwise stagnant market, a lot of users are still holding out or simply the upgrade was a slow move over a few years.

Last year China played a big part in the profit warning. Market conditions in China for Apple's blowout quarter are still a mystery today and will depend on Trump's Christmas spirit. If he manages to stir things up from now until January, Apple can expect another rough ride. If he changes tack and things calm down, Apple might see an improvement.
    muthuk_vanalingambigtds
  • Reply 20 of 34
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    And Apple's 'underwhelming' performance will be the envy of retailers everywhere, wishing their year was anywhere near as 'underwhelming'.
    leavingthebiggFileMakerFellertmay