Apple unveils new iPad Pro with 3D scanner, trackpad support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 124
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    f1turbo said:
    I hope the new keyboard is more reliable/durable than the original.  I have one of those with the original iPad Pros, and have been having lots of problems with it over the past 6 months or so.  Frequently gives me a message that “This accessory is not supported by this device,” doesn’t work, or just keeps beeping until I disconnect it. 
    My original has almost no labeling on the home row and the material is pulling up. There’re also intermittent problems with key behavior, but that seems like it could be a software or hardware fault. It was never a good product and I regret not taking it back to Apple the moment I noticed wear on the keys (within months). 
  • Reply 22 of 124
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member

The LiDAR scanner is what interests me the most. I understand it's being sold for AR but will it function as a 3D scanner for CAD input? Will I be able to use it to scan a 3D object, convert it to a wireframe, and use it for 3D printing?
    I hope. The 3D printer market is about to explode if that's the case.
    We would need to have some App for point cloud to surface or solid model, which can be simple and cheap or complex and expensive, depending on the kind of support it has for geometric primitives. 

ReCap Pro from AutoDesk has that capability on PC's, but that's a long way from iPad support.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/recap/overview
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 124
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    The wait continues for me. No buy until miniLED and 8 GB RAM.

I'm a software keyboard, touchscreen user that multitasks a bit. The biggest features for me would be a better display, an improved SoC and RAM. So the wait continues on my iPad Pro 10.5.
  • Reply 24 of 124
    I don't care what they do to it I'll never buy an iPad !
  • Reply 25 of 124
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Since it is looking like most of us are going to get a $1000 check , consider this a great bargain if you have been waiting to pull the trigger on an IPad Pro.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 124
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So, piece by piece, the iPad is devolving into a laptop. I thought Apple always looked to the future, not revering the past.
    edited March 2020 gatorguyGG1MisterKitCarnageGlockWorkOrange
  • Reply 27 of 124
    muaddibmuaddib Posts: 81member
    I guess the real question is can the LiDAR shoot down airborne coronavirus.
    watto_cobraGlockWorkOrange
  • Reply 28 of 124
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    $349 for a keyboard with trackpad is an insult. 
    davgreg
  • Reply 29 of 124
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    razorpit said:
    I found the clip of Steve Job saying they would never introduce that: but why has Apple changed its mind now? Are those "tons of user testing" out the window?
    Introduce what? I don't understand what your point is. There is a keyboard/mouse for vertical use. Touch for horizontal.rob53 said:
    The LiDAR scanner is what interests me the most. I understand it's being sold for AR but will it function as a 3D scanner for CAD input? Will I be able to use it to scan a 3D object, convert it to a wireframe, and use it for 3D printing?
    I hope. The 3D printer market is about to explode if that's the case.
    Not really. The 3D data from a scanner is messy and needs thorough manual cleanup to be printed.
  • Reply 30 of 124
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lkrupp said:
    So, piece by piece, the iPad is devolving into a laptop. I thought Apple always looked to the future, not revering the past.
    The HW is getting more powerful and capable which is allowing for additional features. Multiple apps on the screen and better keyboard access isn't "devolving." This was always going to pull away from the smaller, simpler smartphone and move closer to the larger, more complex traditional PC in its utility. If there's any question it should be why didn't this happen faster, as people that use their iPad as their primary computing device have wanted these features for nearly a decade.

For me, an example of "devolving" would be removing 3D Touch which allowed for a better and easier access to moving the cursor around on the iPhone's virtual keyboard to now being what I assume is a SW-only implementation that only works on the Space Bar of the virtual keyboard. I can't seem to get to work every time but don't recall that being an issue with my previous iPhones since this feature came out.
    edited March 2020 toysandmeBeatsStrangeDaysdocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 124
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:a surface
    The HW is getting more powerful and capable which is allowing for additional features. Multiple apps on the screen and better keyboard access isn't "devolving." This was always going to pull away from the smaller, simpler smartphone and move closer to the larger, more complex traditional PC in its utility. If there's any question it should be why didn't this happen faster, as people that use their iPad as their primary computing device have wanted these features for nearly a decade.
    I agree that I also do not see this as the iPad devolving, though I’m not sure if having all of these features right out of the gate would have been the best idea either. I think they were smart to slowly integrate more laptopesque features. Had they simply made a surface, then people would not have been forced to rethink how they input information on a device. Then developers would likely not have made the shift either (their reluctance to do so is evident on how long they tried to wait it out) and all of these new powerful apps may not have existed. For me it forced my hand to rethink my workflow and because of that I now only need one computing device. When everything for me is considered, the best thing that my first generation 12.9 iPad Pro is that it’s still an iPad. 
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 124
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    I found the clip of Steve Job saying they would never introduce that: but why has Apple changed its mind now? Are those "tons of user testing" out the window?
    I was going to say something about users preferences changing over time, but… If anything that's Jobs predicting these new keyboards; because what he says is that if we use a physical keyboard with iPads, then the most ergonomic solution is to also have a horizontal touchpad.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 124
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Nice, but with the recession, these won't be moving in big numbers.
  • Reply 34 of 124
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Finally an iPad that takes its camera seriously!!

The stand is to use it as a mini iMac. Didn't the keyboard make that obvious?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 124
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Ok, so I ordered one right after I saw the video about Apple introing two new products on Yahoo business. Since I buy a new one every year, it really was a no brainer.

the one thing I find interesting, it that the SoC is called the A12Z. It has 8 cores, a higher heat capacity, and the usual other features, but no other info on it. I think I can say that we all expected either an A13x, or if this came out late in the year as “expected” with the new cameras, time of flight, and cursor support as Ming predicted, likely an A14x. So this is odd. I sure want to know more about this unexpected chip.

the keyboard isn’t out yet, so I couldn’t order it. It costs the same as the Brydge with trackpad I ordered over a month ago, which is expected to ship (almost a month late because of COVID-19) in April. Apple’s in May. But I ordered the new one that is out now. My iPad won’t come until March 25th, but the keyboard will come this Friday (for an $8 shipping up charge). Curious to find whether it will work on my 2018 model. Also curious as to whether the Brydge will work with the new iPad.

app,e is sure making a big deal out of that new cursor. As you scroll down on the info, you get an entire screen announcing it.
    edited March 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 124
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    lkrupp said:

The keyboard is optional.
    docno42watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 124
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    What am I going to need a 3D scanner for?  I’m not paying extra for that...
  • Reply 38 of 124
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Soli said:
    lkrupp said:a surface
    I agree that I also do not see this as the iPad devolving, though I’m not sure if having all of these features right out of the gate would have been the best idea either. I think they were smart to slowly integrate more laptopesque features. Had they simply made a surface, then people would not have been forced to rethink how they input information on a device. Then developers would likely not have made the shift either (their reluctance to do so is evident on how long they tried to wait it out) and all of these new powerful apps may not have existed. For me it forced my hand to rethink my workflow and because of that I now only need one computing device. When everything for me is considered, the best thing that my first generation 12.9 iPad Pro is that it’s still an iPad. 
    If the iPad is to become a general purpose computer, with all the same functionality as macOS or Windows, external input methods are inevitable. The software still needs to catchup.

The end goal is to use the iPad in the way advertised in the new commercials. When at a desk, used like a laptop or desktop. used like a tablet on a couch or bed. Ultra mobile. Once external monitor support comes, I expect a situation where I can use the iPad as a virtual keyboard and trackpad, controlling what is on a 30 inch monitor.

The basic worry for me is that they may neglect the touch UI. This needs to be continually refined.
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 124
    Nice update but what others have said about the keyboard price.
    Now everyone who claims that "proper trackpad support" was all they needed to use an iPad instead of a Mac can put up or shut up...since the total cost will exceed even that of a MacBook Air...surely price was never their real motivator...right? Right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 124

I’m very curious about that keyboard. It looks flimsy, but if it holds your iPad at any angle suspended as shown then it must have some kind of engineering in the “hinge”.
    You say it "looks flimsy" (based on absolutely nothing) and then immediately point out the one thing everyone can see from a distance that indicates there is nothing flimsy about it. You're special.
    docno42randominternetpersonwatto_cobra