Apple unveils new iPad Pro with 3D scanner, trackpad support

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 124
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tht said:
    tht said:

tht said:
    The wait continues for me. No buy until miniLED and 8 GB RAM.
    What is the tangible benefit to users on miniLED that makes it a requirement?
    For me, watching videos in the dark. I want the blacks to be darker. To be able to move videos to the top of the display instead of behind letterboxed too. 
    I see. For a different device with a primary use case of movies in the dark (like my TV), I would require that as well. But for a generalist device I don’t expect that will be a required feature for most people. 
    My iPad Pro 10.5 is my generalist device. It's my primary personal computer. I use Numbers, Safari, Textastic, Notes, Files, email, banking, business, web forums, GoodNotes, drawing/doodling, language apps, all manner of apps, and use it for entertainment. There is a rumor from Kuo that miniLED is coming this Fall. It and 8 GB will be worth the wait. And, I do not have an external keyboard. It's the software keyboard all the time for me. Best way to use the iPad imo.

Maybe not oddly enough, we don't use the TV enough to warrant any fancy features. Perfectly ok with a dumb 1080p 55" LCD TV. Watching video on iPads and iPhones in the darkness of the bedroom though, that's done a lot!
    Funny, I’m just the opposite — I have a plasma TV and won’t consider an LCD TV for the same reasons you cite here, poorer performance in dark rooms when viewing films. 
    My plasma (Samsung!) is like 12 years old now and same. Glad OLED prices are coming down rapidly, because that's what's replacing it when it finally dies on me. 

LOL...  I'll do the same -- as soon as my 1985 cathode ray dies...  (But I still like the picture on it -- sort of softer -- like comparing vinyl to CD).
  • Reply 122 of 124
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    "I’ve come to terms with the price of the iPad Pro given how awesome it is, but goddamn, those are some expensive ass keyboards."

Quoting myself, here — I posted this shortly after the announcement after being up all night. Looking at it again, it's way more complex than the previous keyboard folio. I hadn't noticed the floating adjustable screen and passthrough charging, thought it was more like the previous model but with backlighting. Still expensive, but this is really cool. If I used keyboards with my iPad, I'd definitely go for this.

I didn't realize it had pass through charging on it.   That raises another thought:   They could enhance this into a hub with multiple ports.  That would be nice.
  • Reply 123 of 124
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    "I’ve come to terms with the price of the iPad Pro given how awesome it is, but goddamn, those are some expensive ass keyboards."

Quoting myself, here — I posted this shortly after the announcement after being up all night. Looking at it again, it's way more complex than the previous keyboard folio. I hadn't noticed the floating adjustable screen and passthrough charging, thought it was more like the previous model but with backlighting. Still expensive, but this is really cool. If I used keyboards with my iPad, I'd definitely go for this.

It's beautiful piece of engineering. Hopefully Apple is not doing any magic tricks regarding the removal and placement of the iPad onto the case. When you watch videos, it can be a one handed operating and the case does not move when it happens.

The hinges don't shift. The case doesn't move. They must be use weaker magnets, the case is heavier like 2 to 2.5 lb, and the hinges are going to be pretty stiff.

Yeah, those are some expensive keyboards. Fortunately, I only use the software keyboard.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 124 of 124
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I found the clip of Steve Job saying they would never introduce that: but why has Apple changed its mind now? Are those "tons of user testing" out the window?
    It still doesn’t work but Apple has changed from an innovative subject-matter-first company to an appeasing-the-vocal-minority company. Shame.