Apple unveils new iPad Pro with 3D scanner, trackpad support

Comments

• Reply 101 of 124
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I was waiting on this update, but now, after seeing how much the want to gut me on the price on those keyboards, no thanks... You can go F-Yourself Apple. I’m getting really tired of your greediness.
    No one forces you to buy any Apple products. Grow up.
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 102 of 124
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

rob53 said:
    The LiDAR scanner is what interests me the most. I understand it's being sold for AR but will it function as a 3D scanner for CAD input? Will I be able to use it to scan a 3D object, convert it to a wireframe, and use it for 3D printing?
    And what kind of resolution is possible with their scanner?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 103 of 124
    It is 6 GB RAM!  LOL!  Have to think about that!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 104 of 124
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    ZRyser said:
    CPU still based on the A12 architecture, and no mention of miniLED display. I think I'll skip this update. Not much of an upgrade over my 2018 12.9 inch iPad Pro
    We’ll find out, because I ordered one, and it’s coming next Wednesday.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobrafastasleepGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 105 of 124

tht said:
    tht said:

tht said:
    The wait continues for me. No buy until miniLED and 8 GB RAM.
    What is the tangible benefit to users on miniLED that makes it a requirement?
    For me, watching videos in the dark. I want the blacks to be darker. To be able to move videos to the top of the display instead of behind letterboxed too. 
    I see. For a different device with a primary use case of movies in the dark (like my TV), I would require that as well. But for a generalist device I don’t expect that will be a required feature for most people. 
    My iPad Pro 10.5 is my generalist device. It's my primary personal computer. I use Numbers, Safari, Textastic, Notes, Files, email, banking, business, web forums, GoodNotes, drawing/doodling, language apps, all manner of apps, and use it for entertainment. There is a rumor from Kuo that miniLED is coming this Fall. It and 8 GB will be worth the wait. And, I do not have an external keyboard. It's the software keyboard all the time for me. Best way to use the iPad imo.

Maybe not oddly enough, we don't use the TV enough to warrant any fancy features. Perfectly ok with a dumb 1080p 55" LCD TV. Watching video on iPads and iPhones in the darkness of the bedroom though, that's done a lot!
    Kuo is likely wrong—again. He’s right a bit over 50% it’s highly unlikely that Apple will come out with another iPad Pro just a few months after they just came out with a new iPad Pro. The features of this new one were predicted by time to be on a new model later this year, so he’s wrong already. After taking a year and five months to spit this one out, do you really think Apple will have another one in about six to seven more months? I don’t think so.

i don’t usually use a keyboard with my iPads, though I occasionally buy one. I ordered the new Brydge with trackpad, on schedule now for April. I bought the folio keyboard for this new ipad 12.9, which I’ve never done before, and I’ll get the new magic keyboard in May, when it comes out. Yup , it’s a lot of money for something I don’t use much. But I’m interested in how they’ll work with the new cursor support, so I file the purchases under “testing”. This way, I can discuss it intelligently, unlike some here who make comments without having any understanding of what they’re talking about. I’m not including your comments here in that category, by the way.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 106 of 124
    HyperealityHypereality Posts: 58unconfirmed, member
    melgross said:
    The iPad Pro 3rd Gen is HOBBLED by its data transfer speed from the USB-C port. 

I would buy the new one in a flash if this has been solved.  I guess it hasn't as Apple have not made it a feature. 

I know a lot of professional photographers/videographers disappointed that they could not use the massive 1Tb storage in the iPad Pro for transferring in their daily shoot for editing on the move and I'm with them on that. It was disappointingly slow. 

Another use case imaging pro's have is on the go backup.   Using an external SSD on a USB-C hub, to be able to transfer files from a camera to the external SSD for backup, and transfer data into internal memory for editing. This should be possible with two simultaneous operations. 

I believe it’s 20Gb/s for a short cable, and down to 10 or 5Gb/s with longer cables. That’s not bad. Most laptops out there don’t do any batter than that, and plenty do worse. Getting Thunderbolt on an ARM device will be complex and expensive now. At some point that could change.
    TBH it is probably worth trying again with a more recent iOS version.  Those figures were nowhere near achievable with very fast external SSD's, cards and a short expensive cable that was designed for high speed, I was achieving maybe 10% of those theoretical speeds. In addition the connections were not reliable.  When attempting to transfer folders containing many image files the transfer failed to complete. Perhaps this was a firmware issue rather than the hardware. I will have another try sometime.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 107 of 124

Nice update but what others have said about the keyboard price.
    Now everyone who claims that "proper trackpad support" was all they needed to use an iPad instead of a Mac can put up or shut up...since the total cost will exceed even that of a MacBook Air...surely price was never their real motivator...right? Right?
    Apple needs to bring Xcode, Logic and Final Cut to iPadOS.
    No, they don't. People need to use Macs for the most serious work, and always will.
    Yes, they do. Evolving workflows demand it. I remember the beginnings of digital editing, because I was involved in it. Nobody really believed that a Desktop could ever do it, and they were right for a while. I was using Silicon Graphics workstations at first. But then a top of the line PowerMac could do it. Then it was said that laptops couldn’t do it, but then they could. An iPad can do this now. I edit 1080p on this, and have done some 4K. I have an audio workstation on my iPad, and that works well. Don’t dismiss this so quickly.
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMacSpamSandwich
  • Reply 108 of 124
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Several people disagreed with me on my early post saying that Steve Jobs disapproved of vertical touch screens. Some of those people made good points, although usually the same point. But I don't regret recalling and posting that old clip onto this thread. Steve's opinions were relevant to this topic.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 109 of 124

rob53 said:
    The LiDAR scanner is what interests me the most. I understand it's being sold for AR but will it function as a 3D scanner for CAD input? Will I be able to use it to scan a 3D object, convert it to a wireframe, and use it for 3D printing?
    And what kind of resolution is possible with their scanner?
    If you go on Apple’s site for the iPad, they show the Lidar. It’s pretty high resolution. Not enough for a lot of detail,  it this is a form of radar, after all. But it can follow the shape of objects in the room pretty well. I was impressed, I supposed the map could be used for CAD printing, but it’s not meant for that. The resolution isn’t that high.
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 110 of 124
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Several people disagreed with me on my early post saying that Steve Jobs disapproved of vertical touch screens. Some of those people made good points, although usually the same point. But I don't regret recalling and posting that old clip onto this thread. Steve's opinions were relevant to this topic.
    Did Jobs say disapprove of vertical touch screens? I think I understand your point but I don't think I agree with your verbiage since the iPad is a handheld, stand, or lap device which he demoed for a very long time with the displays, at the very least, in a fairly vertical position. And didn't the first iPad keyboard come out while he was CEO?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 111 of 124

melgross said:
    The iPad Pro 3rd Gen is HOBBLED by its data transfer speed from the USB-C port. 

I would buy the new one in a flash if this has been solved.  I guess it hasn't as Apple have not made it a feature. 

I know a lot of professional photographers/videographers disappointed that they could not use the massive 1Tb storage in the iPad Pro for transferring in their daily shoot for editing on the move and I'm with them on that. It was disappointingly slow. 

Another use case imaging pro's have is on the go backup.   Using an external SSD on a USB-C hub, to be able to transfer files from a camera to the external SSD for backup, and transfer data into internal memory for editing. This should be possible with two simultaneous operations. 

I believe it’s 20Gb/s for a short cable, and down to 10 or 5Gb/s with longer cables. That’s not bad. Most laptops out there don’t do any batter than that, and plenty do worse. Getting Thunderbolt on an ARM device will be complex and expensive now. At some point that could change.
    TBH it is probably worth trying again with a more recent iOS version.  Those figures were nowhere near achievable with very fast external SSD's, cards and a short expensive cable that was designed for high speed, I was achieving maybe 10% of those theoretical speeds. In addition the connections were not reliable.  When attempting to transfer folders containing many image files the transfer failed to complete. Perhaps this was a firmware issue rather than the hardware. I will have another try sometime.
    I’ve used a pretty high speed SSD with my iPad Pro 12.9” 2018. It’s pretty damn fast! But the external models have SATA, so they’re limited by that. Or they have some form of USB, so they’re limited by that. TB drives don’t work.

but the fastest USB works, as long as you have a short cable designed for that speed. The problem is that you have to make sure that what you’re connecting has the ability to provide that speed, and that includes the cable. That’s where a lot of people make their mistake. They don’t have the proper cable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 112 of 124

They are, but less and less. What Steve believed becomes less relevant as time goes on. He was worried, at first, that people couldn’t even use a touch screen, with a large screen the size of an iPad. That was one reason they put it on the bad burner. He believed, likely correctly, that a phone, with its much smaller, and simpler demands, would be much easier for people to adjust to. But now, over 12 years after the phones came out, and 10 years after the iPad, its different. People are used to it. Indeed, hundreds of millions of people grew up with it. It’s comfortable, common and easy to use.

so now, we’re ready for it to evolve. I don’t get people who complain about new modes of operation. Apple is doing this slowly, not because they’re being dragged into it, but because it’s very hard to add these major features, such as the user friendly file system, cursor support, multitasking and other major features, without making it harder for those who don’t want those features.

so I get it. If Apple forced people to use these new modes, it would be one thing, and people would have the right to complain. But that’s exactly the opposite of what they’re doing. They’re hiding these features from those who don’t want them while making it easy to use them for those who do want them.

thats a far harder task. It’s also why it’s taking years to implement them. But in the end, I’m confident they’ll satisfy both sides.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 113 of 124
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Yep, you’re right we’re all wrong.  :(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 114 of 124
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    rob53 said:
    You can already do this since iPhone X, with the Face ID camera. Search for 3D scanner in the App Store, for example I've used this one with my iPhone:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/capture-3d-scan-anything/id1444183458

I expect all of those will be updated for use with the rear cameras on this iPad and the upcoming iPhone. And, it'll be easier to use as the camera is not on the same side as the display. :)
  • Reply 115 of 124
    rob53 said:
    You can already do this since iPhone X, with the Face ID camera. Search for 3D scanner in the App Store, for example I've used this one with my iPhone:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/capture-3d-scan-anything/id1444183458

I expect all of those will be updated for use with the rear cameras on this iPad and the upcoming iPhone. And, it'll be easier to use as the camera is not on the same side as the display. :)
  • Reply 116 of 124
    What am I going to need a 3D scanner for?  I’m not paying extra for that...
    No, you're paying the same as everyone else. :D
  • Reply 117 of 124
    tht said:
    tht said:

tht said:
    The wait continues for me. No buy until miniLED and 8 GB RAM.
    What is the tangible benefit to users on miniLED that makes it a requirement?
    For me, watching videos in the dark. I want the blacks to be darker. To be able to move videos to the top of the display instead of behind letterboxed too. 
    I see. For a different device with a primary use case of movies in the dark (like my TV), I would require that as well. But for a generalist device I don’t expect that will be a required feature for most people. 
    My iPad Pro 10.5 is my generalist device. It's my primary personal computer. I use Numbers, Safari, Textastic, Notes, Files, email, banking, business, web forums, GoodNotes, drawing/doodling, language apps, all manner of apps, and use it for entertainment. There is a rumor from Kuo that miniLED is coming this Fall. It and 8 GB will be worth the wait. And, I do not have an external keyboard. It's the software keyboard all the time for me. Best way to use the iPad imo.

Maybe not oddly enough, we don't use the TV enough to warrant any fancy features. Perfectly ok with a dumb 1080p 55" LCD TV. Watching video on iPads and iPhones in the darkness of the bedroom though, that's done a lot!
    Funny, I’m just the opposite — I have a plasma TV and won’t consider an LCD TV for the same reasons you cite here, poorer performance in dark rooms when viewing films. 
    My plasma (Samsung!) is like 12 years old now and same. Glad OLED prices are coming down rapidly, because that's what's replacing it when it finally dies on me. 
  • Reply 118 of 124
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    ... I was using Silicon Graphics workstations at first. But then a top of the line PowerMac could do it. Then it was said that laptops couldn’t do it, but then they could. An iPad can do this now. I edit 1080p on this, and have done some 4K. I have an audio workstation on my iPad, and that works well. Don’t dismiss this so quickly.
    Oh, I remember those days - Silicon Graphics built the 'Dream machines'. Our physics department filled a computing lab with SGI Personal Iris systems which gave us the most powerful computing capability of any department at the time (today we have a supercomputer but the SGI systems have our hearts).
  • Reply 119 of 124
    "I’ve come to terms with the price of the iPad Pro given how awesome it is, but goddamn, those are some expensive ass keyboards."

Quoting myself, here — I posted this shortly after the announcement after being up all night. Looking at it again, it's way more complex than the previous keyboard folio. I hadn't noticed the floating adjustable screen and passthrough charging, thought it was more like the previous model but with backlighting. Still expensive, but this is really cool. If I used keyboards with my iPad, I'd definitely go for this.

edited March 2020 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 120 of 124
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Yes, Steve did say that -- and your video proved it.

But what was confusing is that, with this move, Apple is getting away from the need to touch a vertical screen.  They violated Steve's guidance years ago when they introduced an iPad keyboard without the trackpad -- and this fixed that issue.